nightmares....

veryblueeyes

Poseidon's Wench
Joined
Jul 4, 2003
Posts
28,405
Ok.. Just woke out of a dream. Sheets were soaked with sweat, I had chills and the thought of the nightmare was still there. I have these every now and again. I still can remember, with clarity, every bit of the dream. What does one do to relieve themselves of the dream? It follows me through the day.

And no... I am not pyscho. Just a bad dream that I cannot shake.

Do any of you have those type dreams? How do you shake them?

Blue
 
sounds like a " Night terror" not a nightmare.
At any rate I have had dreams like that but I am generally able to absorb myself with stuff during the day to keep me from thinking on it to much. Really that's the only advice I can offer, try and distract yourself so you can't think on the dream and take comfort in knowing it was only a dream and hopefully you don't have them to often.
 
Thank you. You are correct that is was probably a "night terror". I shall go to work and put it out of my mind. Though, strange how the mind works... Thanks for your kind words.

Blue
 
veryblueeyes said:
Ok.. Just woke out of a dream. Sheets were soaked with sweat, I had chills and the thought of the nightmare was still there. I have these every now and again. I still can remember, with clarity, every bit of the dream. What does one do to relieve themselves of the dream? It follows me through the day.

And no... I am not pyscho. Just a bad dream that I cannot shake.

Do any of you have those type dreams? How do you shake them?

Blue

Hi Blue
I've had these same types of "dreams". I have actually awakened to "see" people or objects in my room. It seems so real and causes the heart to pound through your chest.

I find that I have the oddest dreams after eating just before bed. Especially if I eat anything strong, like cabbage or sausage..etc.

I don't "shake" them, but I'm so used to them now that they don't cause me alarm for very long. The dreams that keep me from going back to bed are the dreams where something bad is happening to my gf, or other people in my life.

Good luck to you
Dave
 
Only had a nightmare like that once....although it played in my head more than once (yeah I know reruns of my nightmare hehe) Used to scare me half to death cause I couldn't tell when I was asleep or awake.

Realized it was my subconsious trying to make me deal with something my conscious was trying to avoid. Went away after I dealt with it. Just a thought.
 
That was not a terror. Terrors are different. That was an intense nightmare. I was stalked by nightmares like those for over a year... every night, at some point, the dream would come for me. I think dreams like that are brought about by an un-dealth-with pain in your life, or by an un-finished piece of business. They spur you into waking, for some reason that you have to figure out and deal with.

Dreams like that, I believe, are also caused by the presence of demons in your life. Y'know that phrase "you have to face your demons"? Those kinds of demons. And you DO have to face them. Even if it's meditating on changing the dream before you sleep, if it's meditating on peace and on good things before you sleep, who knows. I pray. And my prayers work. If you're interested in hearing the prayer that I say, feel free to PM... you have to believe what you say, though, and if you're not religious, this might not be for you.


Just know that a dream is only a dream.. it has only the power that you give it.. and anger at your dream is much more useful than fear of it.
 
I have dreams like that myself but they usually involve something happening to my sons. Or things in the past that could have turned out really bad, like one time there was some very nice bit bulls had been comming to my house for several days ( no I didn't have a female dog in heat) and I would pet them and at the time my first son was only 2 years old and I let him come out and pet them. Well now everyonce in a while I will have a bad dream where the dogs turned and I couldn't save my son. Or I Have dreams that my teeth are falling out ( I have those a lot), and every once in a while I will have a dream about this guy I hung out with in high school, when I have the dreams about him my first sons father always come back into town. That one is really weird because I have no idea he is comming or that he has been here (because me or my son have nothing to do with him) untill a couple of weeks later someone will tell me they seen him in town.
Any dream interpeters here want to figure any of those out.
heather
 
I suffered from severe nightmares for a number of years. Many times, the nightmares were severe enough that I would wake up screaming. Sometimes it was hard to breathe and on a couple of occasions I even lashed out at the ex wife who was trying to calm me down. Very often, it was the same scenario being played out in some form. As I got a little older, the nightmares became increasing real and more frequent.

In my case, the nightmares were linked to something terrible that had happened and needed to be dealt with. With the help of a professional, the issues were resolved almost 10 years ago and those specific nightmares have never returned. Oh, I still have a bad dream or even a nightmare on occasion, but nothing compared to the severe ones that I had to deal with at one time.

I wish you all the best in getting a grip on whatever it might be that is causing them.
 
I (like about everyone else in this forum, it seems) used to have this horrible repeating nightmare...I'd wake up terrified and unable to breathe. It kind of followed me through the day, too, like what you're describing. The only thing I can think of to recommend (besides maybe seeing a counseler of some kind, if you think it's serious enough and want to go that route) is to be around people you love and enjoy as much as you can today. I was little when I used to have these nightmares, and it always felt so much better when my mom would come in to comfort me, so I assume being around people you're comfortable with and care about will help make it not as bad. Hope you fell better!!
 
Thanks so much to all who have responded. I have been having reoccurring nightmares for a time. I try to get up and do something else and take my mind off of it. Since there are so many caring people on Lit, I thought I would share that way. All of you are dear people.

The nightmares for me are of things that are TOO real in life. Those scare me the most. I guess, that's why I cannot shake them.

Again, thanks...

Blue
 
veryblueeyes said:

Do any of you have those type dreams? How do you shake them?

Blue

I used to have dreams like that. They woke me up at odd hours and I couldn't stop shaking. I still have them sometimes. They are always about someone I love getting hurt.

The only thing that helps is calling that person and telling them about the dream. Asking them to be careful. Asking them to keep in touch over the next few hours or days.

Then it starts to go away. In the meantime it is really bad, though.

Best of luck finding something that works for you.
 
Re: Re: nightmares....

judge not said:
I used to have dreams like that. They woke me up at odd hours and I couldn't stop shaking. I still have them sometimes. They are always about someone I love getting hurt.

The only thing that helps is calling that person and telling them about the dream. Asking them to be careful. Asking them to keep in touch over the next few hours or days.

Then it starts to go away. In the meantime it is really bad, though.

Best of luck finding something that works for you.

Thank you very much....

Unfortunately, at the time I awoke, the person was 3 timezones away and could not call...

I shall endure.

I do like the suggestion that someone made about having food before bed. I tend to not eat all day and then eat at night before bed. Possibly, I should switch that around...

Again, much appreciation for kind people.

Blue
 
Dream Interpretations

I'm very much into the alternative things in life, and have done a lot of reading and research on dreams. This was mostly because after a rather horrific rollover in my car, I kept having the accident as a nightmare, and causing me to wake up several times during the night.

Meditating before you go to sleep is a great suggestion. You can over time control your dreams by thinking about the things that you would like to dream about before you go to sleep. I used this method to stop my car accident dreams.

If you are ever in a nightmare, that seems just to real, keep repeating over and over in your head that it's not real. I mean that is if you are conscious enough. It takes time and practice though - and as with religion - you have to believe that it is going to work. If you think it's all a bunch on nonsense it won't work.

If you want any more advice on this please feel free to PM me :D

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
 
My wife had a nightmare of sorts the other night - at least it was a nightmare for me....

She dreamt that she walked in on her mother and I making love. Aparantly I was on top, turned to see her enter and then returned to give her hother a deep kiss and continued doing the deed.

The thing is that our relationship with her mother is completly estranged. We havent spoken to her since before our wedding 11 years ago.

She wondered why it turned me off so much when she told me about it just as we started to get amorous one evening.

Patman
 
i had nightmares like this allso. it was shortly after i got my self off drugs.
they lasted well over a year and it got to the point where i was scared to go to sleep ! i would keep my self awake becuase i knew i would have them .
i still get them fairly often:(
 
nekos said:
i had nightmares like this allso. it was shortly after i got my self off drugs.
they lasted well over a year and it got to the point where i was scared to go to sleep ! i would keep my self awake becuase i knew i would have them .
i still get them fairly often:(

Nekos, in my opinion, I feel that was your pyschological and physiological withdrawl from drugs. Not sure what you were on, but I do know that they can cause weird dreams to happen. When you are on them and then when going off them.

I know where mine come from and my subconscious will not let it go. I rarely sleep much anymore, due to this.


Mistress K... Mine too came from a R/L experience and keeps repeating itself in my head when I sleep. What types of meditations do you recommend?

Pat...

Poor thing. Now that HAS to be a nightmare!!!!

Blue


:kiss:
 
Nekos, in my opinion, I feel that was your pyschological and physiological withdrawl from drugs. Not sure what you were on, but I do know that they can cause weird dreams to happen. When you are on them and then when going off them.

i know they were cuased by drugs. and to the question of what i was on ? let's just say it would be a much shorter list to name what i was not on.
anyway i still get them 6- 7 years after quiting, i don't think the ones i get now are all from the drugs, but im sure it plays a part in it.
 
back in the days of seldane, if I took it at night I would get the same nightmare ove and over again maybe 5 or 6 times in a night.

I have had the ones were you wake up and your heart is pounding and there seems to be a shape looming over you. I reach out and put my hand through the shape. I smell first, real shapes have a distinctive aroma.

I also get kind of panic attacks that wake me up, the weird thing is my mind is fine, but my body is in flight mode. It is called Dysautonomia, where your body has an exaggerated or inappropriate stress response.

Sometimes I wake up and can't move for a while, that scares me even though I know it will wear off.

I am on a few drugs for injuries from a car accident, usually if I add something to the mix, I got some reaction. I have nerve damage from the accident and that causes all sorts of delight things, like the feeling of spiders running across your shoulders.

I can usually tell which are drug related, which are nightmares and which is one of my brothers or friends looming over my bed. About a year ago I put wind chimes on the back of my front door so I can hear someone coming in, then I know before they are in my room. I rarely get real nightmares, although eating large quantities of chocolate at night can sometimes bring them on.

Recently I have woken up crying, sometimes with no memory of why, but I a pretty sure I know what it is about.

Noor
 
I forgot-
To end a reoccurring nightmare you have to change it, rewrite it to an ending you like. Bears can be turned into gingerbread, attackers can be destroyed, anything so you win and they get the nightmare. Often I rewrite it as I go back to sleep.
 
I had a dream awhile ago were I met someone who was really sad. I touched her and then all the sadness went into me. And it was like the saddest thing ever. Like if everyone you knew was tortured to death in front of you. And i woke up crying, with my pillow soaked.

I also wondered something about falling dreams. I had one once when i fell out of bed, but the thing was, in my dream i was falling for awhile, but then I woke up as i was falling. How could so much happen mid fall? Or did my body know it would fall? Or did it fall in responce to the dream?
 
dreams can be so fascinating...and seem so real..except for the really disturbing ones about family or other tragedies mine often reveal talents or insights i cannot reckon up in waking hours...

color, music, story elements and more...one dream foretold of an event i later experienced at a nuclear plant..revealed in a mysterious heart pounding dream...when the actual event occurred i knew what to do...but the other event didn't happen till later...

it was as though i was guided through a very frightening experience by a revelation..the dream is still vivid more than 15 yrs later...
 
I am one of those strange people that almost never remembers any dreams. And those that I do remember tend to be funny ones. I have been told by my wife that sometimes I giggle in my sleep, and I do remember one dream where Odo from Deep Space 9 kept turning into that huge octopus alien from the Simpsons and couldn't change back.

While my own dreams rarely bother me, I have gotten in deep trouble because of my wife's dreams. Once she dreamt I ran away with a Stephanie, an investment banker from New York. Regardless of the fact that I don't know any Stephanies, let alone one that is a NY Investment banker, that dream landed me in the dog house for a few days. Sheesh! :D

If dreams had a meaning, then the fact that I never remember my dreams must mean something, but damned if I know what it means.
 
Funny how dreams can play such an integral part in somes lives.

Noor...

I actually have a couple of degrees (one of which is psychology) and have delved into dream interpretation , but it boggles me, that it affects me so.

Dreams of past events are the worst, as your mind does not let it go.

Off the topic of nightmares...

The one dream that scares, yet comforts me, is of my little brother (RIP), coming to me and we jam together. We always jammed. I dream of taking his hand and telling him to come home and he grabs me and says that he is home and is waiting for me.

I wake with a longing to see him again, but think that in my dreams he is speaking to me. Letting me know that he is still around, just not on earth.


That is the kind of dream that I dread, yet crave.

Strange, eh?

Blue
 
Last edited:
dreams

edited to add, Blue - I hope your worries are resolved soon - :rose:

I haven't ever had recurring nightmares, but in the past week or two, I have had several really strange dreams...

In one - it was in the future, about a year from now. It was in the place that I live now, and my ex, with whom I'm still friends, was there. We were sleeping in separate rooms, and the smoke alarm was going off. Nothing in my apt. was on fire, and I looked out my door & down the stairs to the exit, and the way was clear. So I started to gather a few really important & necessary things on my way out, and my ex had already BOLTED for the door & was out of the building. Didn't speak to me or try to hurry me out of possible danger, just gone. I gathered things and ran down the stairs, to find him outside complaining that he'd left his glasses inside and would have to drive home with his prescription sunglasses on... I handed him his glasses, which I'd grabbed on my way out of the apt. In my dream, he took them, didn't thank me, and drove off. The firemen were already there, and they were hosing down a small crater in my apt. roof, as if fireworks had landed there and started a fire.

It was weird, and I didn't get mad at the ex about it, but it did remind me of all the selfish things he's done.

I had another dream about a friend who is in the midst of a divorce - in my dream, he deliberately set fire to a large mansion like home, because there was nothing in it he could salvage, it had all aged away to rotted or filthy tatters. In my dream, there was the most beautiful, sweet little blonde girl, maybe 4 or 5 or so, who was his daughter - he doesn't really have any kids... and she was so sad and wistful about her home being burned down - but she was ghostly...

This has been superstrange, because I so rarely remember my dreams - the last time was around Halloween, and it was more of a story than anything to do with people I know, or my life...

*shakes head*

any thoughts on these? I'm attributing them to stress.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top