Detect Pregnancy?

Caliber

Really Experienced
Joined
Jul 29, 2002
Posts
153
My girlfriend recently started taking the pill (shes almost done with her second month)

At the end of her first month, her period was slow in coming and we worried that she may be pregnant. Neither of us really believed she was but a lingering doubt was still there ...

We've only been able to have sex twice during her second month due to our living condition and schedules. But shes gotten to the green pills (the ones lacking any real chemicals) and she hasn't started her period again. She has spotted somewhat, but she hasn't started.

While I don't think shes pregnant the lingering doubt remains. What are the chances? :confused:
 
How many of the "green pills" has she taken so far? I know that when I started having sex on a regular basis, my periods came later for some reason. It could be that the pill is causing her period to lighten. That happened to me as well.

If her period doesn't start by the beginning of her next month's pills, she can always take one of the home pregnancy tests and see what it says. Not totally reliable, and she might have to do it more than once, but better than nothing. Or she could schedule a trip to her gyno. Normally, however, they don't test for pregnancy unless a woman is at least 2 weeks over due.

What are the possibilities? Well, the pill is not fail safe, you know. Women have become pregnant while using the pill.
 
I'm on the pill too and that first month I was worried because my period didn't start until the Thursday of the "green pill week". But it has continued to do this every cycle like clockwork, so it seems pretty normal. It is a little nerve-wracking, but I've gotten used to it because I'm very careful with taking the pill around the same time every day and I watch for the signs of ovulation, just to make sure the pill is working. If I were to ovulate, which hasn't happened in the year I've been on the pill, or take the pill on an irregular schedule, I would use a back-up method. But simply starting your period several days after taking the first green pill is nothing to be concerned about.
 
Get the EPT and do a test to put an end to the speculation. Testing now or testing later won't change the outcome.

If you are pregnant, then you have more time to decide to prepare for the baby (no booze, cigarettes, etc) take vitamins, or prepare to end the pregnancy.

If you are not pregnant, taking the test will allow you to rest easier.

Good luck either way.

Pro-life, or pro-choice... I'm not touching THAT one!
 
Not to scare you but...........If you're on the pill and you stop taking them.........your chances of getting pg with twins increases. That's how I got mine YIKES It's true, but I'm just teasing you.;)
 
I've been on the pill now for four months and I never get my period until around my 3rd or 4th green pill... and everyone else I've talked to said it took them a while for their periods to become regular. I wouldn't worry much if it's only the second month.
Also, my boyfriend was very panicky the first few months when it was really off and I took a pregnancy test and it calmed him right down. Just take one and it will help to ease your minds a bit, hopefully. I was ready to kill him though... chasing me around the house with a glass of water and a pregnancy test, yelling at me to 'pee on the stick!' Not a flattering moment...
 
I was ready to kill him though... chasing me around the house with a glass of water and a pregnancy test, yelling at me to 'pee on the stick!' Not a flattering moment...

LOL

mental picture was priceless
 
Emerald_eyed said:
The first month should alwatys have back up. Iwas always told 1 whole cycle before dropping condoms.

I think you are lucky she wasnt pregnant


**nods head in agreement**
 
Abraxas Winterlight said:
I was ready to kill him though... chasing me around the house with a glass of water and a pregnancy test, yelling at me to 'pee on the stick!' Not a flattering moment...

LOL

mental picture was priceless


Glad to amuse you, Abraxas :D
 
if you're not feeling at ease with the pill, you should use a backup method such as condoms or foam. You'll feel better about the whole situation...nothing wrong with being extra careful. However, if she takes the pill at the same time every day, you should have little to worry about.

P.S. Someone once told me that they had their bf take their green pills so that they would feel like he was participating:) I thought it was a very cute idea.
 
Depending on how regular her cycles were before she started the pill, it could take some time before it gets used to the new cycle. Use a back up method in the meantime to put both your minds at ease, and have her take a pregnancy test if she's really worried....otherwise, give it time, it will be like clockwork soon...
 
Figures. Not even two hours after I post this, my girlfriend calls me up telling me she started.

Seems like several of you were dead on.

Its funny how a normally fully rational mind can switch into complete raving pycho when confronted by things like this.

My girlfriend isn't too happy either. She was hoping she was/hoping she wasn't, and either way would likely have been really upset.

I think we're defaulting back to condoms, at least for a while. I don't know if that will really ally our fears but I guess we have to try.

Not that we exactly get lots of chances to be intimate anymore.
 
This is kind of along the same topic so I didn't want to start another thread on it. Does anyone know if taking an antibiotic will make your birth control pills less effective? I believe the girl was taking amoxycilin (sp?)... and her period is four days late so far this month...
 
MiloDRemix said:
This is kind of along the same topic so I didn't want to start another thread on it. Does anyone know if taking an antibiotic will make your birth control pills less effective? I believe the girl was taking amoxycilin (sp?)... and her period is four days late so far this month...

Yup, antibiotics can decrease the potency of birth control pill. "Can" is the operative word here. Depends on the length of time on antibiotics and how a woman's body responds to it, among other things. It's always wise to use a back system while on antibiotics, such as condoms, until the medication is out of the system. (Remembering that antibiotics stay in the body's system for a while after the last pill is taken.)

Her period might be late because she was ill. That's happened to me before. Illness, stress, as well as other factors can cause a woman to have a late period or no period at all. If the concern is real, a home pregnancy test and help clear things up.
 
Thanks, SexyChele (Milo asked for me, lol)... I have my period now so... no worries... :D
 
Caliber said:
My girlfriend recently started taking the pill (shes almost done with her second month)

But shes gotten to the green pills (the ones lacking any real chemicals) and she hasn't started her period again. She has spotted somewhat, but she hasn't started.

While I don't think shes pregnant the lingering doubt remains. What are the chances? :confused:

Starting the inactive pills doesn't mean a period is going to start that day. She's going to have to take probably three to four before her period starts. Don't worry unless she's taken ALL of the inactive pills and is about to start the new pack and still hasn't started her period.

If this is the first time she's taken the pills and things aren't getting better, she may have to change to another pill. All birth control pills aren't the same and women sometimes have to experiment with different ones until they find the one that works with their particular body chemistry.
 
Personally I've always hated the pill and had the monthly freak out. That's why I love depo (no period/no worries)

I always keep a pregnancy test on hand though, so if I freak, I have one and can just take it and be done with the worries.
 
why dont you guys just spend the ten bucks, take a test and put your minds to rest?
 
Back
Top