The 2020 Literotica Award Nominations: Most Literary--Genre Transcending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurel

Kitty Mama
Joined
Aug 27, 1999
Posts
20,678
In this category, please nominate the story that you feel was the most literary - the one that is so well-written that it would stand alone as a literary work in any context. Story must be currently on Literotica, and must have been submitted during the year 2020.

One nomination per person, please. If multiple nominations are made by a member, only the first listed will count.

Please note that posts containing trolling, name-calling, and/or other forms of negativity will be removed. If you don't enjoy contests, that's fine - you are free to not participate. Please do not ruin everyone else's fun. :rose:

Thank you to all participants - readers and authors alike!
 
Most Genre-Transcending, in my opinion, is chasten's Pie Thief. It is the winner of the 2020 Winter Holiday contest, and readers have even asked him to rewrite this story without the sex so they may read the story to their children for years to come. A truly magical story.

https://www.literotica.com/beta/s/pie-thief
 
Stev2244

Stev2244 wrote a story called "Obedience and Betrayal." It is in the LW category and contains those elements, but it is a psychological drama with a unique setting, giving a mood and atmosphere with horror, mind control and a sci-fi/fantasy feel. It is a compelling story with an unsolved murder, a horrific villain, a hapless hero and redemption for the victims. It is a fantastic story with a literature level beyond what you would expect on a free story site. The story is here. https://www.literotica.com/beta/s/obedience-and-betrayal
 
Transcending genre? (not gender?) "Obedience and Betrayal"

Stev2244 posted this masterpiece in December. It was an amazing tale of submission, infidelity, revenge, mind control and sadism, with a small murder mystery tossed in. Finally, in the end, it was a love story... a romance in a maze. This is a brilliant story written by a badly demented mind. Read it carefully and appreciate all the nuances of the characters. I can see no options in this category. "Obedience and Betrayal" it is!
 
In this category, please nominate the story that you feel was the most literary - the one that is so well-written that it would stand alone as a literary work in any context. Story must be currently on Literotica, and must have been submitted during the year 2020.

One nomination per person, please. If multiple nominations are made by a member, only the first listed will count.

Please note that posts containing trolling, name-calling, and/or other forms of negativity will be removed. If you don't enjoy contests, that's fine - you are free to not participate. Please do not ruin everyone else's fun. :rose:

Thank you to all participants - readers and authors alike!

Could you please refresh my memory on the subject of nominating series?

As I recall, if a series ended during the year, it could be nominated AS a series. Is that correct?
 
Hard Landings

BrokenSpokes "Hard Landings" series is a lesbian romance that would certainly make it in the mainstream. It's a beautiful piece of writing, an excellent story, well told.
 
I didn't have to search to find a story I forgot. I couldn't forget this story if I tried.

"Turn the Page" by blackrandl1958

Every loving wife story doesn't have to be BTB
 
This is a very hard category for me to narrow down to one. I like the choice of "Pie Thief", some of RiverMaya's fiction is hard to categorize and her fableist work is fantastic, but I think I'm going to have to second the vote for "In Our Bones" by NoraFares.

It's a story you'd think would get the writer eviscerated in the category of Loving Wives, but she pulls it off.
 
Family Reunion: Mother’s Day

I already nominated Sasha as best shemale character and its because this is the most powerful story of a transition I have read.

Zach is a preacher's son who questions his sexuality and after being kicked out my his parents he moved across the country, accepts who she is and transitions.

5 years after leaving she bumps into her oblivious mom and begins a fascinating journey of forgiveness.

It has silkstockinglovers usual excess in nylons, characters i care about, fun dialogue and my favorite category as well: incest.

If you have not read this yet you really should.
 
Asking For It

I nominate Asking For It by SensualFiend, a truly literary story, because of it’s style, point of view, interweaving of past and present and the convincing development of the central character’s emotions. It was posted in the non-consent/reluctant category.
 
Family Reunion: Mother's Day

I nominate silkstockingslover's story Family Reunion: Mother's Day, https://www.literotica.com/s/family-reunion-mother-s-day.

The story's main character Zach/Sasha (his/her names before and after she's transgendered) is a gripping one. As a young man and recent brilliant high school graduate, he's disowned from his family (although given a sizable amount of money), moves to the city where he'll attend college, immediately goes through the transgendering procedure, and she attends college under her new name. Upon graduation, she and her best friend (also a transgendered woman) move to Dallas and open a sex shop.

Meanwhile, Zach's mother is heartbroken at the loss of her son, and is angry not only at his father for taking such action, but also at herself for not standing up to him at the time. She eventually divorces her husband and tries to track down her son, but to no avail, since his college has no records of a man of that name ever attending there.

She too happens to move to Dallas, and also happens to visit her daughter's sex shop, where she meets Sasha for the first time. Sasha recognizes her mother immediately but doesn't reveal her own identity, and I won't ruin the story for anyone by describing the plot further, except to say it has a lot of heart.
 
BrokenSpokes

Story: Wheels
Author: BrokenSpokes

It’s great that some of y’all nominated BrokenSpokes already, but you messed up and nominated Hard Landing (which is friggin amazing and why it won LAST YEAR). This year, we need to nominate Wheels.
 
Mindgames

A novel by Lovelyandsad.

A number of things set it apart.

It's BDSM-themed erotica: many naked slaves, much abuse, many mindgames.

But it also can be read as a science fiction story of an advanced civilization that's suffered an apocalyptic collapse and fragmentation, with portions of the culture huddled in the remnant of their capital, surrendering to a sybaritic life while a rebellious few leave, forsake technology and slavery and build a second culture (in Harmony) about which we hear only hints.

And as a romance, as two broken people (one master, one slave) find each other and try to overcome a vast gulf of mutual suspicion and incomprehension. (Spoiler alert: happy ending.)

It's one of the few stories I've read where the main characters - maybe 15 of them - are well-enough drawn that they feel like real people who you might think about in between chapters. Heck, even the character who might be tagged "the leader of the evil oppressors" - Delarus, the Bearer - is a character with whom you might sympathize. He's an uncommonly bright guy struggling with health issues, a dysfunctional family and the tendency of everyone in the city to assume that every problem of theirs is actually a problem of his. He's screwed up but clearly trying hard, and his kids might one day make a difference.

It's also one of the few stories where I could also imagine a series of sequels, following the distinct story arcs of the secondary characters who enriched the original narrative: Delarus and his family, Animal and Rose, Stefan and Jordyn ...

With reworking, it could be marketed as mainstream adult fiction housed in any one of several niches at Barnes & Noble or wherever.
 
I nominate The Venerati Academy by gabthewriter

Just like every thing she does , this story has it all! World building, unique characters, mysterious plot, the list goes on
 
"Turn the Page" blackrandl1958

That was a stunning story with elements of many genres and superb writing. It left me an emotional wreck.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top