Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batchoohus said:
O....

worthy of *mmmm*

Very mmmmm.

A friend of mine and I did this grilled pizza party once. For dessert, we made grilled peach pizzas. Grill the pizza crust, grill the peach halves, spread mascarpone on the warm crust, top with warm peach slices. Sinfully good.
 
* Exported from MasterCook *

Prune Danish

Recipe By : Family Circle Magazine February 1974
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pastries

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 recipe Danish Pastry Dough
12 ounce can prune filling -- or 8 oz Lekvar
1 egg -- slightly beaten
1/2 cup corn syrup


Roll pastry on floured surface to 2 20" x 15" rectangles. Trim edges
evenly. With a sharp knife cut into 12 5" squares. Spoon a rounded
tablepoon prune filling onto center of each square; bring 2 opposite
corners over filling to overlap about 1 inch. Placwe on cookie sheets 2
inches apart. Let rise in a warm place until double in bulk, about 30
minutes. Brush with beaten egg. Place in hot oven (400°f); lower heat
immediately to 350°f, then bake for 20 minutes. Warm corn syrup
slightly in small saucepan; brush over pastries; bake 5 minutes more.
Remove to wire rack; cool. You may substitute cherry or apple pie
filling, or apricot preserves for the prune filling.
 
Sticky Prune Pudding with Spiced Caramel Sauce

Serves 8

Degree of difficulty: Medium

You need:
1¹⁄³ cups (225 g) pitted prunes
(You can, of course, substitute pitted dates for the prunes. If you do this, omit the cocoa powder and increase the flour to 300g.)
450 ml water
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
90 g soft unsalted butter
1 cup (220 g) castor sugar
3 eggs
1½ cups (225 g) self-raising flour
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
vanilla ice-cream, to serve
spiced caramel sauce
¾ cup (165 g) brown sugar
1 cup (250 ml) pouring cream
180 g unsalted butter
1 cinnamon stick
3 cardamom pods, crushed
2 teaspoons ground ginger
pinch saffron threads, optional

Method:
Preheat oven to 180∞C. Grease a 20 × 26 cm cake tin and line with baking paper.

Place prunes and water in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat, then simmer for 10 minutes or until prunes are very soft. Add bicarbonate of soda and stir. Set aside to cool.

Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and thick. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour, cocoa and spices together and stir well into butter mixture. Add vanilla and prune mixture and stir again.

Pour pudding mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 30â40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. To make the sauce, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat. Simmer for 2 minutes.

Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes, then strain into a jug. Serve warm.

Serving Suggestion: Serve pudding warm, topped with vanilla ice-cream and spiced caramel sauce.

Copyright Karen Martini, "Where the Heart Is" published by Lantern, June 2006.


This recipe featured by Mark Trevorrow
 
tortoise said:
Very mmmmm.

A friend of mine and I did this grilled pizza party once. For dessert, we made grilled peach pizzas. Grill the pizza crust, grill the peach halves, spread mascarpone on the warm crust, top with warm peach slices. Sinfully good.
Mascarpone with tiramisu
 
Oh:

"Pouring Cream is made from fresh milk. To ensure that you only get the best quality cream it is pasteurised and then standardised (butterfat levels are changed to make sure that all the cream has the same fat content) to a 20% butterfat level with skimmed milk, which means that it has 45% less fat than normal Fresh Cream. This pure, natural product also has an extended shelf life, which gives you more time to enjoy it! This product is free of colourants and preservatives."
 
Tajine of Chicken w/Prunes and Almonds

2 3.5 lb chickens, cut up, skinned and boned
2 onions, diced
1/2 tsp. saffron threads, crushed
1/4 c. butter, melted
2 c. chicken broth
1 stick cinnamon
2 cups prunes, pitted (also apricots or raisins, if desired)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup whole almonds, blanched & toasted (may substitute pine nuts)

Wash chicken. Sprinkle with a little pepper and salt. Saute chicken, onions and saffron in melted butter until golden and onions are tender. (Chicken should be laying comfortably in pan. You may have to use 2 frying pans for larger parties.)
Add broth and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
Add prunes and apricots and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Remove chicken to plate temporarily. Discard cinnamon stick. Add honey and cook until sauce is syrupy. Cook until the syrup coats the spoon. Return chicken to the pan and heat through.

Arrange on serving platter and sprinkle with the almonds.
 
tortoise said:
Oh:

"Pouring Cream is made from fresh milk. To ensure that you only get the best quality cream it is pasteurised and then standardised (butterfat levels are changed to make sure that all the cream has the same fat content) to a 20% butterfat level with skimmed milk, which means that it has 45% less fat than normal Fresh Cream. This pure, natural product also has an extended shelf life, which gives you more time to enjoy it! This product is free of colourants and preservatives."
yes...

Clover from South Africa.
 
Rambling Rose said:
I love prunes. I'm old fashioned. I see that they are now being referred to as dried plums.

Why?
Hello Rose. I really love prunes too, as long as they're very moist and not dried so much that they're tough. I'm the same way with dried apricots. I recall going on a spur-of-the-moment picnic with my younger sister once. She visited me while I was away at college. We scoured my bare cabinets for stuff to bring and I came across a container of prunes and asked her if we should pack some and she replied, "Sure. Just in case."

I never asked her if she had an unspoken fear of constipation but I packed the prunes anyway. Better safe than sorry :D

Tort: Lemme know how the movie is.
 
Hey, Tink! I have made the mistake of going a little overboard when picnicking on prunes myself. Oops!

My great-grandmother used to keep a jar of cold stewed prunes in the fridge. She stewed them with lemon peel. They were fantastic to me. She introduced me to licorice, too.
 
Tinkersquash said:
Hello Rose.

By the way, I think this is our first real introduction. I've been following your voluptuous avatars since you first joined, and we share many friends here.

So hi! Again!
 
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH PRUNES

4 1-pound lamb shanks
6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 large onion, halved, sliced
1 large carrot, peeled, sliced
1 cup pitted prunes (about 6 ounces)
8-10 cloves of garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds from about 5 crushed green cardamom pods
2 cups low-salt beef broth
1 cup low-salt chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in large wide ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Add lamb in single layer; cook until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer lamb to rimmed baking sheet. Add 2 tablespoons oil to pot. Add onion and carrot and sauté until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add prunes, garlic, and cardamom and stir 2 minutes. Add both broths and bring to boil. Return lamb to pot, cover, and transfer to oven.

Braise lamb until tender, about 1 3/4 hours. Transfer lamb to rimmed baking sheet. Tilt pan and spoon off fat. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Return lamb to pot, turning to coat. Place lamb shanks on plates. Spoon sauce over.
 
Porkchops with Mushroom Bourbon Cream Sauce

pork-chops-mushrooms-bourbo.jpg

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup bourbon whisky
Salt and pepper

1 large egg
2 Tbsp water
4 6-7 oz center-cut pork chops
All purpose flour
2 cups fresh bread crumbs
3 Tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
2 Tbsp minced fresh basil

1 Prepare the sauce. Sauté onions, garlic, and mushrooms in 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat until the mushrooms are browned - about 15 minutes. Add the wine and boil down until the liquid is reduced to almost a glaze, about 4 minutes. Add the chicken stock, cream, and bourbon. Simmer until the sauce thickens, about 12 minutes.

2 Prepare the pork. Whisk an egg and 2 Tbsp of water in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle both sides of pork chops with salt and pepper. Dip chops into the flour, then egg mixture, then breadcrumbs, coating completely. Heat olive or grapeseed oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork chops and cook until brown, about 4 minutes per side. Turn the chops one more time and lower the heat to med-low and cook an additional 5-8 minutes, until the internal temperature of the chop is at least 145°F. Alternatively you can put the chops in a pre-heated oven at 400°F for 5-8 more minutes.

3 When about to serve the pork, bring the sauce to a simmer and add the chopped basil to it. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Serves 4.
 
Last edited:
here you go Rose, another recipe with prunes...

Chicken Marbella
chickenmarbellarv8.jpg

Prunes with capers? Not the most appetizing combination if one stops to think about it. However, when cooked together with chicken they create a delectable sweet and sour, savory flavor. The original recipe calls for the chicken pieces to be marinated all night. We found that marinating for 5 hours worked fine.

2 chickens, 2 1/2 lbs each, quartered
1/2 head of garlic, peeled and finely puréed
2 Tbsp dried oregano
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup pitted prunes
1/4 cup pitted Spanish green olives
1/4 cup capers with a bit of juice
3 bay leaves
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white wine
2 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley or cilantro, finely chopped

1 In a large bowl combine garlic, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, vinegar, olive oil, prunes olives, capers with caper juice, and bay leaves. Add the chicken pieces and coat completely with the marinade. Cover and let marinate, refrigerated, several hours or overnight.

2 Preheat oven to 350°F.

3 Arrange chicken in a single layer in one or two large, shallow baking pans and spoon marinade over it evenly. Sprinkle chicken pieces with brown sugar and pour white wine around them.

4 Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with the pan juices. Chicken is done when thigh pieces, pricked with a fork at their thickest point, yield clear yellow juice (not pink).

5 With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken, prunes, olives, and capers to a serving platter. Add some of the pan juices and sprinkle generously with parsley or cilantro. Serve remaining juice in a gravy boat.

Serves 5.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top