Unintentional Sources of Inspiration

dayne

Experienced
Had a slight low point this morning when I realized that one of my characters was influenced by a video game character (Geralt's look from Witcher III to be exact) and that my cats' weird relationship dynamics are pretty similar to my two main characters.

Anyone else find themselves in similar situations?

Not those particular ones. I don't play video games and my cats are dead.

Otherwise, yes, though.

Had a slight low point this morning when I realized that one of my characters was influenced by a video game character (Geralt's look from Witcher III to be exact) and that my cats' weird relationship dynamics are pretty similar to my two main characters.

Yes.

And the problem is...?

:D

What a good idea! My two cats are both female. A story about two pussies is sure to go down (ho ho) well. Although as they are mother and daughter I'll have to come back and ask which category to post the story in.

(Actually they seem to spend their whole time sleeping in separate cosy places at the moment, so they would make a very dull story. Although one of them helps around the house - e.g. licking the windows clean. She is a domestic cat, after all.)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Window cleaning.jpg
    Window cleaning.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
:D

What a good idea! My two cats are both female. A story about two pussies is sure to go down (ho ho) well. Although as they are mother and daughter I'll have to come back and ask which category to post the story in.

(Actually they seem to spend their whole time sleeping in separate cosy places at the moment, so they would make a very dull story. Although one of them helps around the house - e.g. licking the windows clean. She is a domestic cat, after all.)

Incest ?
:)

One idea came from overdoing the Walking Dead and a few vampire bits, including True Blood.

It's still partway through being written (currently behaving like a sock on 8 needles), but I was thinking that if artificial blood just about good enough to keep vampires alive was possible...

My sources are all deliberate, not unintentional. Thus the great cat, Chairman Miao. (Y'all know of course that Mao was the pseudonym of a guy as slick as a cat.) Anyway, most of my characters are based on actual peoples although maybe caricatured and twisted to suit the story's needs. Others are based on songs, comix, parodied erotica, and stock TV roles.

Does the source matter? Whatever the source, it's filtered through the author's brain (if any) and emerges as literary droppings. Hmmm, there's a metaphor. We eat reality and dreams, and shit stories. Have you squeezed out any plot turds lately?

i witnessed the exchange as laid out in the first 2 paragraphs below. the scene was a morrison's supermarket in peterborough, uk. the blonde and the dress and the shoes, as well as the young man, were also true to reality.

after that, the other 6.5k words came out of my head.

“Those are <i>shoes</i>,” he said, the husky voice and hungry look on his face telling Suzi exactly what he meant.

She nodded, more than a little amused. Suzi grinned and offered the boy a lascivious wink. “They <i>are</i>, aren’t they,” she purred.

They were in an aisle in Morrison’s supermarket. Suzi had noticed him following her some minutes before, suspecting the reason for his furtive behaviour was something to do with the electric-blue dress and precipitous high-heels she had on. The dress clung to her feminine shape, moulded to her breasts and her hips, the shoes deadly. She might be up in her mid-40s, but the platinum blonde hair and toned figure, the shape of her legs and the heels which emphasised and exaggerated their appeal could still draw looks from men of all ages. Suzi still had the lure to entice and enflame the cutest and youngest.

etc.

One of my favorite recurring characters was inspired by a 1980's heavy metal album.

And no its not 'Eddie' from Iron Maiden:eek:

I only write when inspired. When I first started writing my window of inspiration was only open for a few minutes a day. Now, I can open it at will and leave it open for hours.

Anything, a word, an image, or a memory will inspire me. Most times, my inspiration comes to me as if seeing a fast forward movie. All at once, I have the story, the characters, the title, and the chapters.

Not one for outlining or keeping a journal, I just write. Sometimes, I can't type fast enough before forgetting some of it. I've forgotten more stories than I've written.

“Those are <i>shoes</i>,” he said, the husky voice and hungry look on his face telling Suzi exactly what he meant.

She nodded, more than a little amused. Suzi grinned and offered the boy a lascivious wink. “They <i>are</i>, aren’t they,” she purred.

They were in an aisle in Morrison’s supermarket. Suzi had noticed him following her some minutes before, suspecting the reason for his furtive behaviour was something to do with the electric-blue dress and precipitous high-heels she had on. The dress clung to her feminine shape, moulded to her breasts and her hips, the shoes deadly.

I was scanning some of the picture threads here not too long ago (don't remember which one) and came across one that would easily inspire just exactly that kind of story.

I spent years collecting plot bunnies from my career in mental health, etc. Excellent material comes from every courtroom and every hospital and every school.

I was scanning some of the picture threads here not too long ago (don't remember which one) and came across one that would easily inspire just exactly that kind of story.

I have no idea which thread, but I was able to find the picture somewhere else:

5a03d6202272be39b73e265d57d9ff9e.jpg

I don't know who this girl is, but I'm sure she does an awful lot of 'inspiring'.

I have no idea which thread, but I was able to find the picture somewhere else:

5a03d6202272be39b73e265d57d9ff9e.jpg

I don't know who this girl is, but I'm sure she does an awful lot of 'inspiring'.

glad i didn't see that image before writing the piece. suzi is 45, platinum blonde, and diminutive in stature - but fairly chesty, which is kind of a theme with me. :eek:

Back