WTF Gifs & Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
wtf-Guy-with-a-Sharpie-d-hairline-on-a-NYC-subway.jpg

I think the problem is deeper than the Academy.

A few years ago women were under represented in strong acting roles. Now it seems that anyone other than white actors struggles to find appropriate screenplays, and more importantly finance for movies.

At least we have gone beyond white people playing black roles with blackface make up.

Last night I was watching a DVD of the Powell and Pressburger movie A Canterbury Tale. The main character was played by Sheila Sim. For that era she comes across as a very strong person. As the American sergeant says to her "You need about as much help as a Flying Fortress".

But where are the modern roles that could win Oscars for people other than whites?

This is what I was trying to say in a nutshell. There needs to be more representation of all groups on screen equitably.

Was it just two years ago that 12 Years a Slave was nominated for nine Oscars? It was. I don't remember anyone of any color complaining about that? It did only win 3 of those nominations but still, no one complained or threatened to boycott.

Slave... I shouldn't have to write anything else.

Perhaps because there would be a better range of movies if non-standard themes were explored.

Movie production has become too expensive to be experimental. We get too many shoot-em-ups or CGI spectaculars and too few new plots.

The problem has more to do with the amount of movies starring people of color. There are a lot more movies with white people to choose from. It reminds me of when I look for pics of beautiful women for my Perfect Pics thread. These are the results when I do a Bing image search for, "Beautiful Nude Women". Notice the percentage of white women compared to minorities.

There are a lot more to choose from, simple as that.

PS: I just saw The Revenant yesterday. If DiCaprio can't win the best actor Oscar for that, then he may as well retire because I don't think it's humanly possible to do better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back