World of Plotcraft

madelinemasoch

Masoch's 2nd Cumming
I've been thinking about writerly things like plot and character recently. I've discovered a basic pattern for stories even here:
1. Character is enmeshed in a world with problems. Character also has a desire or a goal. Character's position in the world impedes them from achieving said goal or realizing said desire easily. This could be as simple as the sadness of circumstance preventing character from taking action.
2. Character opens up/becomes vulnerable with their desires/goals. Their problem/position/sadness still impedes them from their realization. Perhaps they get closer, perhaps they get blockaded (you can repeat this as many times as you like/have to).
3. Character finally sheds impediments and achieves desire and/or goal. Relationships are potentially changed by this very climactic point. Open ending or closed.

I don't mean to seem uninspiring when I say this is basically it, but I bet you could fit most stories in general into this basic structure. Perhaps it makes the fashioning of some particular idea easier, even. This is just something I've been thinking about.

Dilemma, Conflict (repeat as desired/necessary), resolution (or purposely not).

Perhaps this is inherent in erotica? People want a happy ending, and so stories tend to build towards the scene where the protagonist ends up having happy yum-yum sexy times.

Just have to put my two cents in. Sometimes an author writes erotica that is limited to erotic acts, no distracting plot or character. Some would like to say you can't have arousal without personality and associated tension. But I think you can, and it can be done in a careful, literate way. I call it "simple erotica," definitely not "stroker" with all its derogatory connotations.

EDIT: I just love this place. So often it is a source of clarification for ideas I have had floating around in my head for months/years. This time it is "awareness." My simple erotica stories, at least, involve intense awareness of what is happening. In my own stories it is an awareness of surrender to what is being done to (him, always, in my stories). But the awareness could be desire for the other. It could be purely physical stimulation. Whatever... it isn't simply listing a bunch of actions. That, I'd be content to call a "stroker."

Last edited:
It's a simplified version of Campbell's Hero's Journey.
Which makes sense whem you consider most (but certainly not all) of the stories here are relatively short which necessitates a simple structure.

Perhaps this is inherent in erotica? People want a happy ending, and so stories tend to build towards the scene where the protagonist ends up having happy yum-yum sexy times.
Yeah, kinda, but most of the stuff I've really enjoyed on here has been different in some way, to be honest. I don't think any story structure is necessarily inherent to any given genre of literature.

It's the basic outline of most dramas.

Characters are introduced and they have a task/dilemma/quest/journey/problem to solve.

Conflict arises between the character and his/her fulfillment of the task.

The obstacle is overcome, the character fulfills the task, and the drama is resolved.

It can apply in erotic stories as much as in any story.

Dilemma: Son realizes he has the hots for Mom and wants to have sex with her.

Conflict: Mom resists because of her scruples and societal pressures, and the presence of friends and family.

Resolution: Mom's resistance is overcome. Sex happens.

You can do this with any category of kink or fetish.

As AG31 says, you don't HAVE to do this, but even with a very short story there is usually some sort of conflict or obstacle.

Suppose you have a very short story where a man and woman come together on a street, and they want each other so badly they want to have sex right then and there. Conflict: They have to find a spot whether they can do the deed without getting arrested. Resolution: They find the spot have have sex. That could take under 3000 words and be mostly sex, but there's still at least some hint of classical story form.

It's usually more fun if there's at least SOMETHING getting in the way, than if you just have two happy people entering a bedroom and getting it on. But not always.

Just have to put my two cents in. Sometimes an author writes erotica that is limited to erotic acts, no distracting plot or character. Some would like to say you can't have arousal without personality and associated tension. But I think you can, and it can be done in a careful, literate way. I call it "simple erotica," definitely not "stroker" with all its derogatory connotations.
I see that as the difference between a vignette and a story--and both are legitimate.

Dilemma: Money burning a hole in someone's pocket

Conflict: Is this "that kind of place" or not?

Resolution: Masseuse is thoroughly seduced into it instead of being insulted with the gross and (usually) illegal suggestion of pay for play

I see that as the difference between a vignette and a story--and both are legitimate.
That's often true, but there are simple erotica writings which are too long to be vignettes. The Story of O, as someone here pointed out recently, is a novel length story without much plot or character. And there are my stories, Twelve Maxbridge Street, and Naked, which wouldn't qualify as vignettes, I don't think.

Back