Widows and widowers 2

22 months next week.

For me the most difficult part is keeping appearances - as there's no use telling his old mom the truth about her son. Actually, I'm not even telling my parents and sisters. My SIL's know.

I guess you can understand I'm not too fond of condolences either. Luckily I didn't know the truth when the majority of them came.

Finding happiness is an effective cure against bitterness.
I get that as you had to deal with both the loss and knowledge of his behavior at the same time. Hugs. And I believe you are right about happiness. Yesterday, I was at her grave site and began to miss her a lot with tears. Fortunately, I had made plan to be with llife long friends at noon and that made me happy, that the sadness faded. I think finding happiness is the only cure. Thank you!

I get that as you had to deal with both the loss and knowledge of his behavior at the same time. Hugs. And I believe you are right about happiness. Yesterday, I was at her grave site and began to miss her a lot with tears. Fortunately, I had made plan to be with llife long friends at noon and that made me happy, that the sadness faded. I think finding happiness is the only cure. Thank you!
It wasn't so simultaneous. I had first the sorrow - and the relief, as i hadn't been content for years, and I was also afraid of a long, long waning. Fighting against the inevitable for years. I didn't have what that takes.

It calmed down into a depression. Hopelessness even, waiting for the house to find a buyer to be able to move back to the city, back to life, not having energy for anything.

And then, over 8 months after his death, the disbelief, "wasn't I good enough?", anger. In the end both bitterness and "fuck it, I ain't mourning for that bastard!"

And then I started to live again, with the help of new Lit friends.

💡 Regarding plans, the best advice I ever got was to always have something to wait for. It may be small big, but have something. A weekly hobby that you are able to enjoy, coffee with friends, yous sister visiting, a trip, a peer group meeting... Even just a weekly call that matters! Whatever. I noticed I need to something to wait for every single week, biweekly wasn't enough for me.

It wasn't so simultaneous. I had first the sorrow - and the relief, as i hadn't been content for years, and I was also afraid of a long, long waning. Fighting against the inevitable for years. I didn't have what that takes.

It calmed down into a depression. Hopelessness even, waiting for the house to find a buyer to be able to move back to the city, back to life, not having energy for anything.

And then, over 8 months after his death, the disbelief, "wasn't I good enough?", anger. In the end both bitterness and "fuck it, I ain't mourning for that bastard!"

And then I started to live again, with the help of new Lit friends.

💡 Regarding plans, the best advice I ever got was to always have something to wait for. It may be small big, but have something. A weekly hobby that you are able to enjoy, coffee with friends, yous sister visiting, a trip, a peer group meeting... Even just a weekly call that matters! Whatever. I noticed I need to something to wait for every single week, biweekly wasn't enough for me.
I am sorry you had to go through it. Espepcially the unfaithfulness. My experience of sorrow has dimensioned because I have things to do like grandpa taxi. Also, the weekly gathering with life long supportive friends is something that I look forward to. Thanks for the idea. I am trying to do regular visits to the grave to water the forget me not seeds. I do not know if the seeds will germinate but making the effort seems to help me.

For all who have posted here. The countdown in days to the day I lost my wife Jluy 15, 2022 has begun. So far I am good but boy do I have my days. Hugs and support to all going through something similar.

For all who have posted here. The countdown in days to the day I lost my wife Jluy 15, 2022 has begun. So far I am good but boy do I have my days. Hugs and support to all going through something similar.
🫂❤️

That day will be tough, but I've noticed you have already come a long way since I first chatted with you.

I wanted to update on my journey. I have reached an interesting point in life where I am not lonely or vunerable anymore and grieve in a positive way. Last year at this time I knew but never spoke that things were progressing badly for my late wife and the cancer. Although I remember it as yesterday, I am doing well.

On another update, I no longer have those peaks and valleys of libido. Some experts have noticed something called widow or widower "fire". They define it as an obsession with sex and intimacy even promiscuous. Well that describes what I felt with my libido in the first 6 months after my wife's passing. So, it is natural to have those feeling but just be safe.

On another update, I no longer have those peaks and valleys of libido. Some experts have noticed something called widow or widower "fire". They define it as an obsession with sex and intimacy even promiscuous. Well that describes what I felt with my libido in the first 6 months after my wife's passing. So, it is natural to have those feeling but just be safe.
I lost my husband July 6th,2021, and this described me to the max!
I was very hypersexual and drinking a lot within a month of his passing.. I was doing the flirting online only because my IRL wouldn't allow for in person promiscuity..I realized it was due to the grieving because I hadn't felt sexually alive for a while, even when he was alive.
I noticed lately the hypersexuality has been seized, but it's been 2 years almost.
I'm still aroused, but not as intense.

Today was one year to the day, when my wife decided she had enough of surgeries and chemotherapy and chose hospice. Fortunatley, I saw my therapist today which helped me deal with feelings of anger, helplessness, and hopelessness. These feeling were strong but nearly as intense as a year ago. Just talking about it made me feel better and also respected my wife who was always a fighter, that she must have felt so poorly as to not to continue with living. I was warned that in the next 18 days (she died July 15, 2022) these and other feelings will appear and interfere with my head and life. I wanted to share as I know this is a supportive group. Also, I hope you know that you are not alone if you are feeling something similar. Thanks.

@B2fromA2looking4U 🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂
This may very well be the toughest period in many months for you. Sorrow often comes in tides, this is now one tide for you. Just remember it will pass, too, even if it's tough.

Cancer treatment is damn tough. Even so that many doctors say they would choose to give them up earlier if it was about themselves - when it's not worth it anymore. There are cases where I wonder which is worse, cancer or the cure - and if it's only about time... I believe my husband would have lost at most a few months of the 15 he got after diagnosis, if he had chosen only hormone treatment and no chemotherapy. And the remaining months would have been easier. No nasty side effects, no hassle going to the labs and hospital back and forth - in the middle of pandemia.

It's officially July 6th.
2 years ago today I got the call. My best friend/husband was gone.
I never thought in a million years he'd die before me. I have survived more medical issues that should of ended my life per statistics than he'd ever had to endure, yet I'm still here.
I'm not a religious person, I'm a realist.
He never thought it would kill him.
No one did.
I have a form of survivors guilt, I say. I have lots of mixed emotions, but hearing of his death isn't like what you see on TV. Why didn't I scream bloody murder and cry and freak out like you see others do when their spouse of 25 years dies??
I can't look at his pictures, it feels weird. But I am glad I took the pictures of our life together.
I know what it's like to be loved by someone, to 100% trust someone, and to feel sexually craved by someone you're married to.
I had that with him.
I've been numb for 2 years. I've cried lots of times, yes. But I tend to block the pain of losing him still.
Maybe because he died so peacefully. I know he wasn't hurting, he passed away the most ideally way possible.
I've never really talked or written about him like this, so, forgive me for the long post.
I'm a firm believer in telling people you appreciate them or love them, because you really just don't know.
I told him I loved him before he passed. Maybe a year before, but I said it.
My heart's been loved fully by him. That I'll always have. 💜

I've been numb for 2 years. I've cried lots of times, yes. But I tend to block the pain of losing him still.
Maybe because he died so peacefully. I know he wasn't hurting, he passed away the most ideally way possible.
I've never really talked or written about him like this, so, forgive me for the long post.
Oh sweetie, my heart goes out to you 🫂

I'm a bit worried about that blocking. We should meet the pain and handle it, not block it. It needs to be aired and let out to be able to feel better at some point. Yes, it can be tough as hell, but... You can only get through by going through, not stopping where you are.

Sorrow isn't about him, it's about you missing him, after all. Peaceful passing or not.

It's officially July 6th.
2 years ago today I got the call. My best friend/husband was gone.
I never thought in a million years he'd die before me. I have survived more medical issues that should of ended my life per statistics than he'd ever had to endure, yet I'm still here.
I'm not a religious person, I'm a realist.
He never thought it would kill him.
No one did.
I have a form of survivors guilt, I say. I have lots of mixed emotions, but hearing of his death isn't like what you see on TV. Why didn't I scream bloody murder and cry and freak out like you see others do when their spouse of 25 years dies??
I can't look at his pictures, it feels weird. But I am glad I took the pictures of our life together.
I know what it's like to be loved by someone, to 100% trust someone, and to feel sexually craved by someone you're married to.
I had that with him.
I'm a firm believer in telling people you appreciate them or love them, because you really just don't know.
I told him I loved him before he passed. Maybe a year before, but I said it.
My heart's been loved fully by him. That I'll always have. 💜
I want to thank you for sharing your feelings. Know that you are not alone (one year ago July 15 for me). And understand that we care and support you.

There are many other web sites for widows and widowers and loss of life partners. But I created this thread on Lit to not only express our sorrow and grief, but to safely say how much we miss their intimacy, knowing each other and needs, touching when we need a touch, hugging when we need that hug and passion.

I want to share one meme from another grieving widow at another site.
358134645_293400393084008_4487153102277856930_n.jpg

Last night at a dinner with widow and widower support group, we learned an 80-year-old lady has a 60-year-old boyfriend. We were happy for her and of course cautious in a supportive way. She seemed to have checked him out and he is real and not a scammer. We hope so. But our message was, who knows what life will bring and when happiness comes our way. I felt hope after hearing her story for the first time in about 3 years since my wife was diagnosed with a rare cancer. We all need hope.

My grandpa was widowed about at the age of 70. In a couple of years he found a lady friend and they were actually on a holiday in the south when he died. (He had heart issues and some alarming symptoms even before that, nothing sketchy there.)

My grandpa was widowed about at the age of 70. In a couple of years he found a lady friend and they were actually on a holiday in the south when he died. (He had heart issues and some alarming symptoms even before that, nothing sketchy there.)
That is hopeful and sad at the same time. Maybe he had a smile on his face when he passed away?

I just spent some time reading posts on this subject and the diversity is wonderful. My husband fought heart problems for 14 years before his death and toward the end his message was clear. He told me that if I didn't go out and get laid he would come back and haunt me. (his words). The first few years after he died I went through the hypersexual time and there wasn't a man that was safe around me. Then I met a great guy here on Lit and have settled down a bit but still enjoy the sex as much as ever.
Life becomes different. It takes a bit to find your balance but it also forces you to evaluate what you really want. Widowers seem to have a tougher time just from the fact that our culture just sees the man going first. When that doesn't happen it can be very unsettling.
So, good luck to all of us in this situation. Caution and self searching is the key. The most important thing I can say to a newbie is DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU HOW YOU SHOULD ACT OR WHAT YOU SHOULD DO!

Widowers seem to have a tougher time just from the fact that our culture just sees the man going first. When that doesn't happen it can be very unsettling.
Men used to go first because of 2 reasons: age differences being common that way, and also men drinking and smoking more, making their life expectancy shorter.

Except when you go further back in time, even young widowers were common. Giving birth was risky business, and illnesses took definitely did not save women. My own grandmother was orphaned and "auctioned to custody" (aka whoever does it cheapest) as her mother died and her father wasn't able to handle kids alone, and he wasn't remarrying a 3rd time. This was in the 1920's I think.

But I guess that has been forgotten after the war...

Men used to go first because of 2 reasons: age differences being common that way, and also men drinking and smoking more, making their life expectancy shorter.

Except when you go further back in time, even young widowers were common. Giving birth was risky business, and illnesses took definitely did not save women. My own grandmother was orphaned and "auctioned to custody" (aka whoever does it cheapest) as her mother died and her father wasn't able to handle kids alone, and he wasn't remarrying a 3rd time. This was in the 1920's I think.

But I guess that has been forgotten after the war...
Yes, the child birth death rates were insane. I feel bad for the men now who are left behind. I know men who couldn't use a debit card. I see them all the time where I work.

Yes, the child birth death rates were insane. I feel bad for the men now who are left behind. I know men who couldn't use a debit card. I see them all the time where I work.
Oh damn, that's bad. Here it's more about the old generation men not knowing how to even cook potatoes. Then again, the ones about 80 currently already usually do. The really helpless ones are half a generation older than that.

Oh damn, that's bad. Here it's more about the old generation men not knowing how to even cook potatoes. Then again, the ones about 80 currently already usually do. The really helpless ones are half a generation older than that.
Thanks for the exchange. I am part of the over 50 group of widows and widowers here locally. There are more widows than widowers in our group. We found that the men relied so much on their wives they are just barely functioning. So I agree there is a feeling of helplessness by the men especially those so very dependent on their wives.

Thanks for the exchange. I am part of the over 50 group of widows and widowers here locally. There are more widows than widowers in our group. We found that the men relied so much on their wives they are just barely functioning. So I agree there is a feeling of helplessness by the men especially those so very dependent on their wives.
Here it's also common that men rely on their wife in social regard. They might not have close friends except for their wife. Meaning they are a lot more alone after her death - or even after divorce. Friends in hobbies don't necessarily help much.

Back