Who are you envious of?

Lawrence Durrell
That's a writer so much "Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde" that he must have been bipolar. His whimsical Esprit de Corps, Stiff Upper Lip & Sauve Qui Peut are amongst the funniest books ever written (such as the chapter Frying the Flag with the sisters plagued by dour Jugoslav typesetters prone to headlines such as "Minister Fined for Kissing in Pubic") whereas his serious stuff is almost unreadable.

That's a writer so much "Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde" that he must have been bipolar. His whimsical Esprit de Corps, Stiff Upper Lip & Sauve Qui Peut are amongst the funniest books ever written (such as the chapter Frying the Flag with the sisters plagued by dour Jugoslav typesetters prone to headlines such as "Minister Fined for Kissing in Pubic") whereas his serious stuff is almost unreadable.

There's a theory that most of the profilic writers/poets usually have some kind of sub-clinical mood disorder.

There's a theory that most of the profilic writers/poets usually have some kind of sub-clinical mood disorder.

I own a book on the subject of how the distribution of personality starts at MERCURIAL and ends at LABILE/PSYCHOTIC. Or DRAMATIC to HISYTIONIC. Or from CONSCiENSIOUS to OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE.

I own a book on the subject of how the distribution of personality starts at MERCURIAL and ends at LABILE/PSYCHOTIC. Or DRAMATIC to HISYTIONIC. Or from CONSCiENSIOUS to OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE.

Dunno how they'd be on a spectrum - but how old is this book?
Mood disorders is bipolar, depression, cyclothymia..
You're talking about personality disorders, which is more common in people like actors and businessmen and scientists.

Dunno how they'd be on a spectrum - but how old is this book?
Mood disorders is bipolar, depression, cyclothymia..
You're talking about personality disorders, which is more common in people like actors and businessmen and scientists.

I'm a retired psychologist. The Diagnostic and Statitical Manual is in its 5th edition. Gay was a mental disorder when I started, bipolar was called manic-depression, and neuroses covered much of what later became adjustment disorders. [MS was once a disorder. The menu changes all the time. When Medicare wont pay for what you got, youre cured. Me? I'm no slave to fashion. Fag remains a mental disorder in my world. And that's not to say I condemn boys and girls who like occasional same sex, sex. I been drunk once or twice but aint no alcoholic.

So, whatever you write today will likely be wrong 5 years from now because labels are fashion..

I have got the biggest fangirl crush on AMoveableBeast, as they are well aware, edit: AwkwardMD is also great.

I don't read as much on Lit as I should especially since I started writing myself

I guess my main envy is of people who can sit down and just write coherently, it takes my dyslexic brain an inordinate amount of time to get the mess of my first drafts to something comprehensive enough to be read by others, and even then my work is still very flawed. I am eternally grateful to my editors past and present for being so tolerant of this.

I'm a retired psychologist. The Diagnostic and Statitical Manual is in its 5th edition. Gay was a mental disorder when I started, bipolar was called manic-depression, and neuroses covered much of what later became adjustment disorders. [MS was once a disorder. The menu changes all the time. When Medicare wont pay for what you got, youre cured. Me? I'm no slave to fashion. Fag remains a mental disorder in my world. And that's not to say I condemn boys and girls who like occasional same sex, sex. I been drunk once or twice but aint no alcoholic.

So, whatever you write today will likely be wrong 5 years from now because labels are fashion..

Hey, while we were studying we had to memorize the DSM 4 criteria, and now we have to deal with the newfangled DSM 5. And that's not the only set of guidelines we gotta re-arrange in our heads. ABC is now CAB (that actually makes sense). ACS forgets what do to with hyperlipidemia every other year and ACOG has always been confusing..

Looks like all those old men up there got nothing better to do.

I'm a retired psychologist. The Diagnostic and Statitical Manual is in its 5th edition. Gay was a mental disorder when I started, Me? I'm no slave to fashion. Fag remains a mental disorder in my world.

All those sore two-bit psychiatrists, they jack off on electro shocks
Then say they'll let you live at home, instead of tied up in hospital
Mom, she informed me on the phone, but she didn't know what to do about dad
Took an axe and broke the walls - Aren't you glad you're married, ma?
And my sister, she even married one and in the mornings he takes the train
He's sharp-dressed, he's rich and he doesn't even have a brain

Thanks! I always suspected but now I know. Tell me, did those elctro shocks of yours cure Alan Turing or anyone else for that matter?

Hey, while we were studying we had to memorize the DSM 4 criteria, and now we have to deal with the newfangled DSM 5. And that's not the only set of guidelines we gotta re-arrange in our heads. ABC is now CAB (that actually makes sense). ACS forgets what do to with hyperlipidemia every other year and ACOG has always been confusing..

Looks like all those old men up there got nothing better to do.

Youll learn Medicare is who decides. If Medicare wont pay for it, you cant get it. I recall DSM1 and 2. Youll also learn that most psychiatrists don't keep up with the changes. So every label becomes Bipolar or ADHD.

Youll learn Medicare is who decides. If Medicare wont pay for it, you cant get it. I recall DSM1 and 2. Youll also learn that most psychiatrists don't keep up with the changes. So every label becomes Bipolar or ADHD.

That's what I said.
Don't worry, I know how well informed my seniors are already :)

Although it is difficult to get a history from a bipolar patient in their mania phase. Is he bipolar or schizo? He's showing signs of depression? No wait, maybe those are negative symptoms... yeah, just put him on something.

That's what I said.
Don't worry, I know how well informed my seniors are already :)

Although it is difficult to get a history from a bipolar patient in their mania phase. Is he bipolar or schizo? He's showing signs of depression? No wait, maybe those are negative symptoms... yeah, just put him on something.

As a rule schixophrenics don't like makeup or grooming. Bipolars prefer cosmetic and dress extremes. I cant recall any schizophrenic who colored her hair. Bipolars all have wet looking eyes.

As a rule schixophrenics don't like makeup or grooming. Bipolars prefer cosmetic and dress extremes. I cant recall any schizophrenic who colored her hair. Bipolars all have wet looking eyes.

Tell me, did Bedlam offer 401(k)?

Good point, but what if you got a schizophrenic who's interested in makeup (interested for a schizophrenic means a PhD in that subject) or a bipolar going through a depressive phase for the first time? (Extreme depression can also induce auditory hallucinations)

It's just a thought. Fun stuff.

Good point, but what if you got a schizophrenic who's interested in makeup (interested for a schizophrenic means a PhD in that subject) or a bipolar going through a depressive phase for the first time? (Extreme depression can also induce auditory hallucinations)

It's just a thought. Fun stuff.

Never met a schizophrenic who had any interest in make up. Consider the diagnosis is wrong. Schizoaffective comes to mind. They cant apply makeup competently.

Never met a schizophrenic who had any interest in make up. Consider the diagnosis is wrong. Schizoaffective comes to mind. They cant apply makeup competently.

During our ward rotations somehow our attending got convinced that a bipolar patient (guy) was actually a schizophrenic while teaching us. Like he ran out of the room to convince the consultant of his revelation. That's when I decided, nope, not gonna be a psychiatrist, if everything's that wobbly.
And the groping from the addicts.

During our ward rotations somehow our attending got convinced that a bipolar patient (guy) was actually a schizophrenic while teaching us. Like he ran out of the room to convince the consultant of his revelation. That's when I decided, nope, not gonna be a psychiatrist, if everything's that wobbly.
And the groping from the addicts.

My hospital was the receiving facility for crisis and emergency psychiatric admissions. And general hospital MDs usta send me strange people. I couldn't fix alzheimers or idiots or headaches, many MDs cannot diagnose. Twice they sent brain tumors diagnosed as schizophrenia. People don't get schizophrenia in their 40s. I evaluated 1000s so I was familiar with whats out there.

My physician, a young woman, usta try and fool me with unnecessary tests, but I know what the tests are after, and I asked her, WHY DO YOU THINK I HAVE KIDNEY CANCER? She was caught. We both know I cant trust her, and I usually decline the tests she recommends.

Well, there goes that initially interesting thread.

LOL. Mary Renault. I wish I could write like her. The Alexander Trilogy - Fire from Heaven, The Persian Boy and Funeral Games. And "The Mask of Apollo." Just beautiful writing and so evocative.

Tom Kratman. He does graphic violence, death and political bile so well. The Carrera series. Wow! Who else could make crucifixion look so appealing.

Laurell K Hamilton and the early Anita Blake novels. Love her writing style and scene setting / action scenes.

Larry Correia - the Monster Hunter books. And he knows his guns.

If I could write like those four combined and work in graphic sex and martial arts it'd be my dream come true.

Laurell K Hamilton and the early Anita Blake novels. Love her writing style and scene setting / action scenes.

If I could write like those four combined and work in graphic sex and martial arts it'd be my dream come true.

I've read one LKH Anita Blake novel, left in an apartment I was borrowing, and if there was any more sex worked in, I honestly have no idea where it would get worked in to.

LOL. Mary Renault. I wish I could write like her. The Alexander Trilogy - Fire from Heaven, The Persian Boy and Funeral Games. And "The Mask of Apollo." Just beautiful writing and so evocative.

Yep, I still have all of those on a bookshelf in my home office, so I must have been impressed with her. I should read them again from the GM angle.

Yep, I still have all of those on a bookshelf in my home office, so I must have been impressed with her. I should read them again from the GM angle.

I'll have to go back and do the same. When I first read The Mask of Apollo I was about 14 and a lot of that went right by me. Just read her bio and she was a fascinating lady. I've got more of her books but those were the ones that just shone for me.

LKH? The sex is there and in the later Anita Blake novels it kind of overwhelms everything else but those ones just aren't as good as the first eight. Evdrything up to Obsidian Butterfly is great. After that theyre sucky. But the Meredith Gentry series iz good too.

Oh.
Forgive me for replying back to something I thought interesting to discuss on my own thread.

When the first explorers from the warm lands around the Circle Sea travelled into the chilly hinterland they filled in the blank spaces on their maps by grabbing the nearest native, pointing at some distant landmark, speaking very clearly in a loud voice, and writing down whatever the bemused man told them. Thus were immortalised in generations of atlases such geographical oddities as Just A Mountain, I Don't Know, What? and, of course, Your Finger You Fool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfKr-D5VDBU

For 9 years PILETTE and TAXRAT are like bird shit from the sky upon any thread they cant contribute to.

The boys give a whole new meaning to BS (bird shit).

Last edited:
Back