Whispers and Promises (restarted)

"I wanted to," he said in reply. "It is my gift to you."

That seemed to be the final straw for the king. "Rath." The fact that he addressed the prince as such showed the smallest crack in the armor. The room froze for a moment before the king spoke again. "Come with me."

Rath was tense. His father used that tone only when he had crossed a boundary. He had not heard it since he was a child, but he still recognized it. He looked to Kyra, imploring her to remain quiet and return to her seat. He followed his father out of the room.

The two of them walked down the halls to the king's private chambers. Therein the king turned to Rath and stared his directly in the eyes. "Do you really think I haven't seen how close you have become to the girl?"

"I thought nothing of the sort," Rath answered. "I have nothing to hide. I've grown very fond of her."

"And there we have a problem," his father said. "This has been discussed before, Rath. Twice have I brought you ladies from the courts of our allies and you have rejected them both."

"And?"

"You are expected to marry to enhance an alliance, for diplomacy. To strengthen the kingdom."

"Is that what you thought when you married my mother?" Rath challenged. He knew it was the wrong thing to say when his father slapped him.

"Don't speak to me like that, boy!" the king snarled.

"I'm not a boy," Rath snarled back. He rubbed the sting from his cheek. "And it seems I'm right to question you. This is not your decision to make... father."

"Do you really imagine that you could take a whore as a bride without losing the respect of your people? I admire that you want to make her Rhagali. That you saved her from a life of slavery. But now you are going too far." The anger in the king's voice continued to rise. "You foolishly ride on the front lines, you rush into danger. Earlier I received word that you cast aside your turban, your symbol of office, to dig in the dirt! Do you have any pride, whatsoever?"

Rath stared his father in the eye, unblinking. There was a tense silence between them. "I do. But I learned something that you have forgotten. Humility. I remember you weren't always like this... I will be king one day. And I will be greater than you ever were." With that he turned on his heel and marched out of the room. His father called out to him to come back, but Rath ignored him. He knew in his heart that things could never be the same between them. He mustered what dignity he could, knowing that his face was still livid from being struck, and returned to the banquet hall.

Kyra shrank back slightly as the king called out to Rath. She glanced towards the king and then back at Rath, nodding to him as she silently made her way back to the head table. Her chest felt tight as she watched the two men walk away, all eyes on her as the meal continued without them. She couldn't eat, her mouth was dry and her heart was racing. She wanted to cry...well, cry more than what she already had...but she raised her chin and presented herself with as much dignity as she could muster.

She let out a slight sigh as Rath returned, his cheek reddened, but he was still a welcome sight. As he took his seat next to her, Kyra gently took his hand beneath the table, squeezing it gently.

"Are you alright, my prince?" She asked him softly, not daring to call him Rath out there in the open.

"We'll talk later in my chambers," Rath whispered to her. The room was quiet and the king did not rejoin them. They all ate in silence before Rath and Kyra left with no announcement or fanfare. Rath quietly requested the birds be brought with them to his chambers.

Once they were alone, Rath took Kyra's hands and looked in her eyes. "My father... He's grown stubborn and proud locked away in this palace. He expects me to marry for political favor. He struck me when I brought up my mother. He... was obviously upset to have his hypocrisy pointed out.

"My mother was a musician. My father loved her more than any woman he'd ever had. She died of illness when I was a boy. He kept his concubines, but I could tell that he didn't feel for them what he did for her."

Rath sat down upon the pile of cushions and pillows, pulling Kyra down into his lap. "He turned down the princess of Shansul for my mother. He brought the next generation to me in hopes of strengthening our alliance with them as he had declined to do. But she was a bore. A simpering fool obsessed with her own vanity. The princess of Vanisra wasn't much better. A spoiled brat."

He looked in Kyra's eyes and cupped her cheek. "My father wants to control me. He wants me to make up for all the things he never did... I told him that I will be a greater king than he ever was. I am not a boy to be commanded any longer. I have you to thank for that. You showed me what it means to stand on my own. The slavers could not break you. Having seen that in you, I know I do not have to be my father's puppet."

Kyra supervised the servants placing the birds next to the dressing table. She helped to cover them for the night so they would sleep and then she moved to be with Rath. Sitting down in the pile of cushions, she relaxed against Rath's strong chest, listening to his explanation of what had happened with his father.

"You have to marry a princess?" She asked softly, the very thought making her heart squeeze tightly.

She had been a princess. Now she was a concubine. And marriage...it seemed like such a foreign concept to her. Her mother had been gone for so long that she had no idea what a good marriage even looked like.

"Not have to, exactly," Rath explained. "Expected to. My father was expected to and didn't. It galls me that he married for love and thinks that he has the authority to deny me that choice."

He kissed Kyra passionately and looked into her eyes. "I will never send you away, I swear it. What I do with my life and my crown is my decision to make, no one else's. No matter what my father or the court say, I swear on the heavens themselves that I will never send you away or do anything to hurt you."

"You don't have to make me such promises, Rath." Kyra said softly as he kissed her passionately. "If one day you find a woman that steals your heart, I don't expect you to keep me around."

She knew the way that the world worked. She was nothing compared to the women that Rath would meet in his circle of friends and neighbors. It was only a matter of time before there was someone that he wanted to spend his life with and she knew there was no place for her in that equation.

Her words broke his heart. She had stood strong against torment he couldn't even imagine, but she seemed resigned to the idea that she could never be with him for long. He made up his mind then and there. "I already have," Rath whispered to her. "That is why I want you to be my queen."

The breath caught in Kyra's throat as he said that. He wanted her to be queen. He wanted her...

"No." She said softly, pulling herself away from him.

Kyra stood from their spot and paced the length of the room. "You know nothing about me, Rath. We've only just met."

She stopped next to the windows, turning to look at him with tears in her eyes. "Your father is right. You need to focus on what is best for your kingdom. A princess...a foreign ally...that is what you need. Not a concubine without a past and without a future."

She couldn't bear it any longer as she moved into the bathroom, needing to be alone for a moment to gain control of herself again.

He felt his heart sink at her answer. She rejected him. He heard her words and every one was a dagger in his chest. She retreated into the bath chamber and he sat by himself in stunned, painful silence. Tears flowed down his cheeks. It was as if the strength had ebbed from his muscles, the will to fight gone. Only now did he realize how much Kyra had helped him be the man he knew he could be. But now that she had rejected him, the old anxieties and feelings of being surrounded by judging eyes started to creep into the periphery of his mind again. Had it all been a lie?

Rath stood and walked to the window. He looked out at the stars and blinked through his tears. He spoke loud enough for Kyra to hear him. "I was never supposed to be the first in line. My brother was. But he's dead. All my life I was treated as the second son, and after his death suddenly I was treated like some... pet. For a time I thought that would be my fate. An animal kept on a leash. Nothing great was expected of me. I would produce an heir, continue the line of Katum, and that was it. Only Master Ithros told me there was any choice in the matter.

"But you... You were the first one to make me believe I could be more. Now you tell me to give in to my father."

Kyra struggled her hardest to keep her wrenching sobs quiet. She pressed her fingers tightly against her lips, her knees hugged to her chest as she sat with her back against the wall. She could hear the sorrow in his voice and she knew that she needed to tell him the truth. She couldn't though. There were those that might harm her if she did.

It was best if she broke his heart now. That way he could move on, leave her behind, be the great king that she knew he could be. She was nothing anymore. She had nothing to offer him. That thought made another sob burst from her lips, followed by a sniffle. She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand, her cheek resting against her knees.

She didn't respond. He continued. "It seems my fate really is to live in my father's shadow. I was never meant for greatness... Why the gods sent me that vision, I'll never know."

He paced the room now. He was breaking tradition with what he was about to say, but at this moment he had no more regard for tradition or the customs that had shackled him. "In my rite of passage, I spent a week alone in the desert. Alone. No food, only water. I had to receive a vision from the gods or perish in the process.

"On the final night, I saw it. An eagle flew past me, landed on a boulder and watched me. I couldn't tell if he was waiting for me to die or not. He just stared at me and I stared back. I was starving and in a moment of anger, I drew my sword and attacked the bird. He flew off and my sword sundered against the boulder. I collapsed and had a dream.

"In my dream I saw fire. Homes burned. Swords clashed. I saw a man I did not recognize standing between me and a pyramid that the sun hovered over. There was someone standing at the tip of the pyramid, but I could not see who. I fought the man in combat and killed him. I scaled the pyramid and felt the hands of a woman on my face. Then I awoke.

"I looked around. The eagle was still there, as was the broken sword. I was born under the sign of the Eagle. My father, the sign of the Sword. I had thought the vision meant that I must break free from my father and be the king he never could. And I had hoped that the woman waiting for me on that pyramid... was you."

The prince turned quiet. "Now... I don't know what any of it means anymore. Perhaps it wasn't a vision at all. Perhaps I was simply sick from starvation and heat... Maybe I really am the son that the house of Katum never wanted."

Kyra listened to his story, fresh tears coming to her eyes as he told her that he had hoped she would be the woman of his dreams. She wanted that, she told herself as she pushed herself off the floor and made her way back to the door. She stood there for a moment, staring at him as tears coursed down her cheeks.

"You are wanted, Rath. I WANT you." She said softly, her voice quivering as she summoned all of her courage to tell him her own secrets.

"My father..." Her voice faltered as she let out a shaking breath. "My brothers..."

"They were all slaughtered. My father was a good man who didn't believe in war or fighting. He was betrayed and those men that betrayed him turned me into something I never wanted to be." Deep shame was written on her features as she lowered her eyes to the ground.

"Rath..." Tell him, her heart screamed. "My father was King Rue of Dath."

She was trembling, feeling faint, wishing that she didn't have to tell him that. There were men who would kill her if that secret got out, but she knew that she had to tell him. He deserved the truth.

Rath turned to look at her when she spoke to him. For all his sorrow that she had rejected him, he couldn't stop from feeling her pain when she told him her story. And then she told him who she really was and his heart stopped. His eyes were wide and his mouth open. Was it even possible? The story was too fantastic to be true, but then why would she tell it?

Rath came over to her and looked deep into her eyes. He saw pain, regret, fear... but he saw honesty as well. He wrapped her in his arms. Everything began to fall into place. It began to make sense. "Kyra, I swear to you that you will always be safe with me... When I am king, I will find some way to return your throne to you. And on that day... will you then be my queen?"

Kyra's face twisted into an ugly mask of tears and sorrow as Rath asked her that question one more time. He believed her...and now he had her secret. The weight of burden was lifted off her chest as she nodded in answer, wrapping her arms tightly around him as she sobbed against his chest.

"You can't tell anyone...they'll come and find me. They'll kill me." She babbled, her chest heaving as all of her fears and pain were laid there at his feet. "They'll kill me, Rath..."

She agreed. He enveloped her in his arms and tears of pain turned to tears of relief. She pleaded him to tell no one for fear of her life. "The secret will remain until every one of the conspirators who hurt you and your family lies in an unmarked grave. Look at me." He looked deep into your eyes. "I am yours. And you are mine. I will let no harm come to you. And I will see your kingdom returned to your house." He leaned forward and kissed her passionately again. His arms held her warmly and securely against him. He had found the woman in his vision, and he would never let her go.

Kyra whimpered as he kissed her so passionately. Her fingers still clung to him as he held her tightly, her fears so very real as she trembled. He had made her a promise...something that she had wanted so badly. The title of Queen wasn't even in her head at the moment. She just wanted to be his.

When the kiss ended and she was left looking into his eyes, she let out a little sigh and pressed her forehead against his own. "You have to make peace with your father."

The words were bitter in Rath's ears. But once more he knew she was right. "I'll talk to him in the morning. Tonight, I just want to be with you. You give me strength. Please." It was the first time Kyra had heard him say that to her or anyone. He lead her by the hands to the bed. They lay together simply resting in each others arms, sharing tender, passionate kisses. "You have nothing to fear. I will protect you. And we will be together no matter what comes."

Kyra allowed him to pull her towards the bed. She let out a sigh as she lay beside him, allowing him to hold her tightly. His kisses were welcome, almost like a fine drug that dulled her pain and senses. She loved this man beyond reason. Even though they had only known each other for a short time, she felt him complete something inside of her that was broken.

She fell asleep in his arms, listening to his soothing words. She felt safe with Rath even though she knew that she was in incredible danger. He gave her such hope for a future beyond anything she could have imagined.

Rath fell to sleep beside her not long afterward. He repeated in whispers until sleep took him, "I will keep you safe."

The next morning, the prince listened to the report from his advisors as usual, dressed and went with Kyra to the banquet hall. His eyes silently beseeched her to sit with Amina among the courtiers. He needed to talk with his father.

The king did not look at his son as he approached. Rath filled his plate with calm and dignity, a confidence as if nothing was wrong. If this bothered his father, the aging king did not show it. "Good morning, father," Rath said at last.

The king paused in his meal but eventually returned the greeting with a low, "And good morning to you."

Another silence settled over the two of them. None of the courtiers looked at them. The scene of the prince with the mark on his face last night was still fresh in their minds. It was not their place to say anything. Rath broke the silence, speaking in a voice only he and his father could hear. "I gave some thought to what you said, father."

When the king did not respond, Rath continued. "I have been headstrong. It was only after Samir died that anything was really expected of me and it's been difficult coping with that burden."

At that, the king nearly dropped his knife in surprise. He recovered quickly, but watched his son carefully from the corner of his eyes. "I am... glad you admit this, my son."

"I have however found that my recent trip among the people was very... informative. As you say, a man must see for himself." Rath knew well enough to be careful with that trick. To attribute his new "wisdom" to his father's teaching would only work once in a great while, lest the king come to believe he was being manipulated. "I've learned a lot about our people and the kingdom."

"And the girl?"

Rath knew that would come up. It seemed to be the main point of contention. The prince was beginning to suspect that his father was using this as a way of securing the legacy of their house. A pity he would have to be kept in the dark, perhaps even until the day he died. "I will entertain visits from other women as you wish. Who I ultimately choose... that will be up to me. If my marriage is obviously one of convenience, the people will likely never accept her as Rhagali."

The silence was tense, but Rath continued his breakfast waiting for his father to answer. He had made the first moves toward peace. Now he just needed to see if he had over-stepped his bounds. He wanted to give Kyra her kingdom back. He wanted her to share the throne with him. He wanted her. But for that to be possible, they would both need to bide their time.

At last, the king spoke. "That is... reasonable. I will send out messengers to see who among our allies would be willing to send a daughter."

Rath couldn't hide the slight smile that crossed his features. He looked over at Kyra briefly, the look on his face telling her that all was well. For now.

Kyra woke that morning to the cheerful sounds of her birds chirping as the sun bathed the room. The shroud had been removed and they were merrily bathing in the pools of water that lined the bottom of the cage. It made her smile slightly that something so familiar had found her in her strange new home.

When she finally dressed, it was a new gown of dark red fabric. She had no idea where Rath was coming up with a new dress every day, but she simply smiled at him as she put it on and pulled her hair back in her golden combs. The banquet hall felt tense as they entered and she went to sit with Amina in her usual seat.

She glanced towards Rath from time to time, watching him talk with his father and she practically held her breath until he glanced her direction with a slight smile on his lips. She returned that smile before turning back to her meal, her heart lighter then it had been in ages.

After breakfast, Rath told his father that he was going to the library. He needed the services of a scribe. That was only half-true. He also knew that Kyra would be there shortly as well. He wanted another chance to see her.

At the library, Master Ithros and Salemar were hard at work transcribing a new copy of an old history text. They rose up and bowed when the prince entered. "As you were. Master Ithros, I would ask a favor of Salemar if you can part with him for part of the day."

The two looked at each other and the apprentice seemed stunned that a royal would ask something of him. "What favor, your grace?" the young man asked.

"I need you to scribe a letter on my behalf and deliver it to the wizards at the city library," the prince explained. "Yesterday, a boy was recovered from a collapsed building. I'm having him brought here to see me so I may learn his name. I want to see that he receives an education and a chance to make something more of himself."

Rath sat with Salemar and dictated the letter to be sent to the wizards. They just finished the wax seal and stamped it with the seal of the house of Katum when Kyra and Amina entered.

Kyra entered the library with Amina, their conversation light after they had left the banquet hall. She paused in the doorway as she saw Rath there with Salemar and Master Ithros.

"Well, Master, I must say that we are honored to have the prince joining us today." Kyra commented as she came to take her usual seat next to her dear teacher. "I have to say though, I don't think he'll ever be as dutiful a student as I am."

Rath raised a brow and smiled at Kyra's teasing. "Are you suggesting that your prince is all good looks and no brains? I suppose there are worse things one could say about me." Over the last few weeks, those present had become accustomed to the back and forth between Prince Rath and Lady Kyra. They responded with their own smiles.

"I do remember that it was easier to make you focus on your astronomy than your handwriting," Master Ithros added.

"Well, Master, I dare say that I might know more about astronomy then your star pupil by now." Kyra challenged, looking over at Rath with a rather pleased look on her features. "A testimony to an excellent teacher, perhaps?"

The prince smiled at that. He had suspected the old sage would provide Kyra with some comfort and happiness. She always seemed in such good spirits after coming back from her lessons. In time he would be able to do more for her. He quietly sat in on the lesson as he waited for news from the messenger.

Around midday before lunch, the messenger arrived with the boy from yesterday. There were no others. "There was no one else in the building?" the prince asked.

"There were... no other survivors, your grace."

Rath paused. His lips pursed at that and he nodded his head. He turned to the boy. Like most Rhagali he was lean and dark of hair and eyes. His coppery skin was marred by dirt and he was dressed in what looked like little more than rags. "What is your name, boy?"

The boy seemed intimidated and overwhelmed by where he was and who he was speaking to, but said with a slight quiver in his voice, "Shar... your grace."

"Who is your father?" Rath asked, though he feared he already knew the answer.

"Qarr. He... he was a carpenter. He and my mother died... a long time ago." The poor boy apparently couldn't even tell how long it had been since he was orphaned. The thought felt like a dull ache in Rath's chest.

"Is that how you came to be in the building when it collapsed yesterday?"

Now the boy was afraid. "Y-yes. I was hiding. Please, your grace, it was only a handful of figs. I-I hadn't eaten in days!"

Rath held a hand up to silence him. "I didn't call you here to punish you. Salemar?" The apprentice scribe stepped forward. "Salemar here will take you to the city library. You will live with the wizards there and receive an education. You may choose what you wish to study after a few years and when your training is complete you may join the ranks of the wizards yourself if you wish."

Shar's face turned to one of astonishment. He looked around the room for some form of trick, to see if anyone doubted the prince's words. Seeing none, the boy dropped to his knees and bowed to the floor before Rath. "Thank you, your grace! Thank you, I..." He trailed off as his voice became choked with tears.

Rath put a hand on the boy's shoulder and raised him up. "The gods gave you a second chance yesterday. We will make sure you have every ability to make the most of it." He turned to Salemar with a smile. "Go now. Tell the wizards to keep my updated on his progress."

When the two men left with the boy, Master Ithros smiled. "I'm reminded of the story of your great-grandfather, Arakhmon Kalas. He was visiting Vanisra when he stopped to give a few gold coins to a beggar. Ten years later, that beggar proved to be an exiled lord. When he reclaimed his lands, he sent your great-grandfather a chest of gold in thanks."

Rath turned to Ithros and Kyra with a smile as he finished the story. "And he remained a staunch ally of Rhagal to his dying day during a time when many in the south still questioned my house's right to rule. As you taught me, a small act of kindness can sometimes set bigger things in motion." When Ithros was not looking, he cast a knowing glance at Kyra.

Back