When Reapers Fall (Closed for Kaena)

She was ready, so ready to tell him everything, but his smart ass comment about her being dominant made her second guess that thought. Why should she take the time to tell him something this important when he couldn't even take a moment to listen to what she had to say? Why did he infuriate her so much and yet she wanted him so badly? She reached up to finger the pendant as she watched him stretch, his body pressed against hers a reminder of their passion moments earlier.

“Even the wildest of creatures can be tamed,” she replied cryptically to his comment, sure it was going to earn her another smart ass reply, but she didn't care. He would find out soon enough that she was the one in control, he just didn't know it yet. He was in for a rude awakening once she got the pendant on him, if only she could figure out how. Either way she was patient, even if for the fact she was eager to see what his reaction would be.

“Never mind, I guess it's not important,” she said, her voice suddenly cool, shivering as his lips trailed along her neck. She jumped as he slapped her ass and shot him a dirty look as she watched him get out of the bed and stretch again. As much as he was a pain in the ass at times, she couldn't deny that he was nice to look at.

“You wont find much in here,” she said, following him into the kitchen, her blanket wrapped around her naked body. “I haven't really had a chance to go grocery shopping yet. We can order something in, what would you like?”

Walking to her liquor cabinet she pulled out a bottle of scotch she had been saving for a special occasion that never seemed to arrive. He seemed like the type that wouldn't appreciate cheap liquor, so no time like the present seemed like as good as any to use it.

“I have this to drink,” she said, offering him the bottle, smiling at the thought of what he would be like drunk, if he could even get drunk. Maybe if she was lucky he would black out drunk and she could finally get the pendant around his neck. But, then again, she didn't seem to have much luck lately, why would now be any different. She looked up and down his naked body again and bit her lip. Why did she want him again?

“Are you sure you not hungry for me?” she asked seductively, pressing him against the kitchen counter, her hand sliding along his inner thigh. Smiling she leaned in and kissed his neck before running her tongue along the pulse she found there. Pulling away from him, she smirked and turned back towards the bedroom. “Oh well, your loss. Order something. I don't care what you get.”

With the sexual tension between them hanging in the air, she walked into the bedroom and closed the door behind her. Leaning against the door, she took a deep breath, trying to calm herself again. Even though she now knew why she was getting these sudden mood swings, it wasn't making it it any easier to deal with. One minute she was angry at him, and the next she wanted to fuck him until he was begging her to stop. It was going to take some time for her to completely understand her new self and learn how to keep her emotions under control.

Stepping away from the door, she threw the blanket back on the bed and quickly got dressed, pulling on a t-shirt dress with a comfortable underwear underneath. Looking in the mirror she grimaced at her sex tousled hair and quickly brushed it back into a sleek ponytail. Taking another breath, she opened the door and looked back towards the kitchen. Would he be gone, since he had a habit of disappearing whenever a job called, or was he still where she had left him.

Even the wildest of creatures can be tamed,” he gave a snort, as she follows him into the kitchen and e started looking through her cubboards, frowning at how barren her food stocks were, and he contemplated buying her groceries, then he stopped, frowned, why did he care about her having food to eat, shaking his head he went to her fridge “You wont find much in here, haven't really had a chance to go grocery shopping yet. his head bobbled back and forth, yea, he could understand that, he knew she'd been working her ass off, fucking him into oblivion, and trying to come to terms with the fact there is a whole other world she wasnt aware “I have this to drink,” he took the bottle from her and looked at it, a very old bottle of Scottish Whiskey, impressive "i suppose being an FBI centerfold youd need something strong to wash away your days activites" he turned to her, winking, seeing the hungry look in her eyes his cock twitched

“Are you sure you not hungry for me?” his eyes trailed down her body, slowly, and he licked his lips, "Oh, baby, im always hungry for that" he taunted right back, before she moved and pushed him back against the counter, and he growled low as her lips found his neck and she teased him, his hand lashing out and smacked her ass as she slipped out of his reach, his eyes falling to that firm, round pert butt as she looked back over her shoulder at him Oh well, your loss. Order something. I don't care what you get.” he arched a brow his mouth kicking up into a smirk

watching as she vanished into the bedroom and slammed the door shut, he looked at his watch, then teleported. within a few minutes he returned holding a smoking pizza box, just as she came walking back into the kitchen, eyeing the lose clothing she wore he smirked again "more clothes for me to rip off? " he teased, flipping open the pizza lid he grabbed 2 plates "Pizza?" he chuckled at the look of shock on her face. "Reaper Delivery services, anywhere, anytime, anything" he quipped "Fresh from Italy, dig in" picking up a huge slice of deep dish and tilting his head back he took a huge bite,

Adriana couldn't help but be amused to see him standing there with pizza box in his hand. It wasn't the fact that he had pizza, no, it was the fact that he was still nude.

“How the hell did you end up with that?” she asked, raising an eyebrow. “Either your stealth skills are impeccable or you gave someone a show to last them a life time.” Laughing to herself, she grabbed a piece of pizza and took a bite, cursing as the hot cheese burnt the roof of her mouth.

“Must be nice to travel places as quickly as you do,” she said, a smirk playing on her lips. “Though, I hope you normally put clothes on first.” Finishing her first piece of pizza she reached for a second, realizing just how hungry she was. Apparently fucking a reaper gave her a healthy appetite.

“So what now?” she asked, her gaze travelling appreciatively over his body. She could feel a tingle between her legs at the thought of him between them, but, she pushed the thought away. She needed to focus on the case she was working on. He was really starting to become a distraction. “Perhaps you would like to give me more information about this guy they call the Ritual Killer. I know you know more about him than you let on. If you could just give a description, anything, maybe I can have a chance to stop him before he kills again.” Finishing off her slice, she started to reach for another but then stopped herself. If she ate anymore she would regret it later when she had to spend extra time on the treadmill. Reaching for her case file, she flipped it open, looking at him hopefully.

“How the hell did you end up with that?” he arched an eyebrow at her as if saying "duh", the corner of his mouth kicking up in a challenging smirk “Either your stealth skills are impeccable or you gave someone a show to last them a life time.” he laughed as she took a piece, and he watched as he swallowed half of it before taking a bite, his cock twitching watching her "Fuck you have the sweetest mouth, i still wonder what it would feel like wrapped around my cock, " he turned, giving her his back as he took his third piece, holding up the empty bottle "Oh, and your bottle's empty" he said, throwing it in her trash "and no, no one saw me, there is an italian bistro in italy i like, they had the pizza on the counter waiting for a customer so i may have uhh......borrowed it...." he quipped, giving her a roguish grin

“Must be nice to travel places as quickly as you do,, Though, I hope you normally put clothes on first.” he rolled his eyes at that as he washed his hands in her sink, willing his cock to calm down, no luck there, he turned again facing her, with some space between them he leaned against her countertop "Of course i wear clothes, although with you destroying my last 3 shirts, i may just start showing up here naked to save my bank account," he shot back "and yes, it is incredibly handy, having to reap souls in california, one minute then another in florida, its not like i could fly coach...." he teased, again he couldnt stop his eyes from wandering over her

“So what now?” Perhaps you would like to give me more information about this guy they call the Ritual Killer. his mouth snapped shut so quick his teeth clicked I know you know more about him than you let on. If you could just give a description, anything, he was steadily shaking his head even as she grabbed her file folder and flipped it open, he admired her tenacity, and cursed her for it all at the same time. "I can't, it is against our code to offer humans help with violent death cases, we learned early on that far far farrrrr too many questions get asked, and it leads to innocent people having to be killed" he said, crossing his arms, sighing, "god youre like a pitbull with a chihauhau, " he moved across the kitchen and swiped the folder from her and turned it so he could read it, taking a step back as she made a grab for it and missed.

"Another women was murdered tonight" he said, all joking gone, even as he read the file "i received an email from another .........coworker...... of a ritual killing in Washington state, up by the canadian border. I'd begun to wonder why i havent seen the killer in a few weeks, looks like he moved, or has another target.......and now that he knows who i am, and tried to frame me" his voice had dropped to an angry growl as she finally seized the file back from him and glared at him, Something big is going on and the reapers are working to try and keep it from spilling over into the human world, you are already too involved in it, and now in less then 48 hours its my ass on the line, your memories are now to ingrained into your long term memory, aided by the straight up world rocking sex we've been having, for me to ever be able to make you forget anything"

he tore the file from her hands and tossed it on the kitchen island as he cupped her ass, lifted her and set her on the counter, pressing between her parted legs he braced his hands on either side of her body so he cold stare at her eye to eye "You, you vile temptress, have quite literally dug yourself under my skin, and its irritating as fuck" he kissed her "And frankly, the thought of anything happening to you, SHOULDNT bother me, ive killed humans for a lot less, but you, " he growled, in more frustration then anger "Why THE FUCK, cant i kill you and just walk away?? Fucking Woman" he snarled, anger, frustration, lust, rage, he kissed her again, hard, god he needed to just kill her and walk away, he knew he had to, and as he reached for her, a hand laced into her hair, he wrenched her hair back, his other hand tearing her shirt open as he devoured her mouth, his tongue invading hers.

Gripping her panties he ripped those off too. Her ass on the edge of the counter, he plunged into her, maybe he could just fuck her out of his system, yea, that seemed like the best idea...........not........... but as she cursed him, then moaned hot in his ear, her nails scoring his back he'd kill her in the morning, right now, he just wanted her to fucking cum, she slapped at him one minute, then was clawing at her trying to pull him closer the next, and he wasnt gentle as he took her there on the counter,

One minute he was joking around with her and the next she could see him visibly tense up at her question about the Ritual Killer. It was obvious by his adamant shaking of his head that he was not going to give up the information she was looking for. It wasn't as if she didn't understand where he was coming from, but it was still frustrating as hell. She saw him reach for her file too late, having it snatched from her hand before she had a chance to pull it away.

“That's confidential,” she protested, flashing him an exasperated look. “If you won't share information with me, why should I share anything with you.” She sighed as he mentioned the murder in Washington state. It was obvious that the killer had moved onto a new area, which would make it even harder for her to find him. She had a good relationship with her local police force, but she had yet to work with the officers in that state. If they were anything like most precincts, as the face of the Feds on this case, she would not be welcome. Reaching for the file one more time, she was able to pull it from his hand and slam it shut.

“I don't really care what you reapers think you are doing to handle this killer or whatever he is mixed up in,” she said, her voice holding a tinge of anger. “These are innocent humans that are dying at his hand and it is my job to find him and stop him. I am sorry I am such an inconvenience to you.”

At his mention of the 48 hours left on his timeline, she felt a nervous flutter in her stomach. What would happen to him and, god forbid, her once the time ran out. She had seen the hard look in the eyes of the lawyer that had come to step in for him at the precinct and she was sure now he had to have been someone from higher up on the Reaper council, or whatever they called the higher ups. She had no doubt in her mind, that he would take pleasure in fucking Thomas up and perhaps even killing her. She wondered if her pendant protected her from other supernaturals as well, not just Thomas. Maybe the would both be better off if she came clean to Thomas about what she was.

“What if I wasn't h..” her words died in her throat as he yanked the file from her hand and tossed it aside. A surprised yelp escaped her lips as he cupped her ass and lifted her up onto the counter. Her gaze met his and she could see anger burning deep inside them, mixed with an unbridled desire. She attempted to speak again but was cut off by his lips on hers and she moaned softly, melting into the kiss. She barely had a time to take a breath when he pulled away before his lips found hers again, this time his kiss hard and full of the anger and desire she had seen in his eyes. She angrily tried to pull away as she felt his hand tangle in her hair, a sound of disapproval escaping her lips as he pulled her hair, his mouth savagely devouring hers.

She struggled anew at the feel of him ripping open her dress, his hand roughly palming her breast before pulling away her panties. She pushed against him, cursing him loudly, her anger overriding any desire she had for him at the moment. A litany of curse words fell from her lips, only to be silenced as she felt his cock bury deep inside her. She moaned loudly as he savagely thrust in her, her nails digging into shoulders. It was as if she was no longer in control of her own body. She arched up to meet his thrusts, her legs locking around his waist, pulling him deeper inside her. Her wanton moans echoed through the kitchen as he took her right there on her kitchen counter. It felt like all his anger at her was fueling him as he fucked her hard, pushing her rapidly towards her orgasm. With one more savage thrust she came, her scream echoing through the room. She writhed against him as wave after of wave of pleasure pulsed through her body as he continued to fuck her to his own release.

Pulling him down to her, she kissed him passionately. If she only had 48 more hours with him, she was going to make the most of it.

“These are innocent humans that are dying at his hand and it is my job to find him and stop him. I am sorry I am such an inconvenience to you.” for some reason that statement pricked at his anger, she didn’t understand the real world, she understood the “Human” world, the two were NOT interchangeable, and this particular game came with a whooolleeee new set of rules she just wasn’t ready for. And he’d been about to argue that, even as he buried his hips tight against her, hilted deep his mind scattered as she pulled him against her, nails raking his back as she screamed his name, which was probably THEE hottest fucking thing he’d heard in centuries and she took him right with her, even through the anger that had spurred him to just want to fuck her in an effort to shut her up. He would never admit to himself that at 800 years old he’d never be able to kill an innocent women, the council had always done the dirty work in the end when things like this happened, as their tongues danced he resigned himself to that fact, she WOULD die, and he would too…..probably…..but he wasn’t about to just roll over and let it happen.

As their foreheads touched and they panted hard, each struggling to breath, her heels dug hard against his back, holding him tight against her as her body fluttered still around him and drew a hard groan from him, slowly she unlocked her legs from around him and he pulled free, hands planted on either side of her ass on the counter he stared at her, his face stone hard, but he just couldn’t hide the dueling emotions, anger, hatred, attraction, denial, acceptance, and a cold calculation. Pulling back he sighed, his shoulders sagged, his hands resting on her hips, stroking over her skin. He could see her own indecision on her face, and a silent acceptance of her own as if she’d come to a decision. Kissing her again tenderly he played with the remains of her shirt “So, “ he started, his hands curling behind her neck, his thumbs playing over her through and along her jaw “Atticus wont just let this lay, I had orders, but Ive never been able to kill an innocent person, man , or women, even if you hadn’t gotten under my skin, or my pants“ he stated lips twitching “I reap the souls of the departed and send them into the infinity, we are never to interfere, only observe, we hold to the universal laws, all creatures die, we merely see to their safe passing.”

Pulling back he went to the fridge, happening to glance out the kitchen window he stared into the shocked face of an older lady whose sink and window apparently faced Adriana’s condo and he merely arched an imperious brow at the lady before he watched her go red faced then faint…….cocking his head to one side he snorted once then shook his head, popping open the door he grabbed a two cans of soda from the fridge and stalked back towards the half-naked female still perched on the counter. “Well, im already fucked………..sooooooo………” he paused realizing what he’d said and scrubbed his face with an annoyed growl “well, Fucked, and Fucked” he corrected, “we might as well go see the Crime scene, maybe I can help you find a clue, im bound by Law I cannot give you any information, it’s a magic thing……” he amended as she opened her mouth to what he was sure was going to be a rebuttal, and he placed a finger on her lips “we will go, see what we can find, and be back by tonight.” he watched the frown etch itself onto her face “and I still want to see these beautiful lips wrapped around my cock…….if im going to die, I want to go to heaven first” he teased, tracing his thumb over her lips “so we need clothes, then we can go”

It seemed like forever before she was able to catch her breath. She clung to him as if he was a life raft and she was drowning. When she finally gathered her sense, she loosened her legs around his hips, moaning softly as she felt him withdraw from her still quivering depths. She looked up to meet his gaze, shivering at the emotions she saw swirling there, bringing her brutally back to reality. As he pulled back from her she shivered at his touch on her hips but remained silent. She had accepted that her fate was now intertwined with this and there was nothing that was going to change it.

She listened as he once again spoke of Atticus, who she assumed was someone on the high council. The more she heard about the man, she could feel her hatred and anger at him growing. She understood that there were rules in place for a reason, but, now that their lives were on the line she wasn't going to just lie down and take it. If she ever had a chance to meet this man face to face again, she would ensure he never forgot her. She shook her head at that thought, where did that come from. She knew this man, creature, whatever he was was dangerous but for some reason she was not scared, instead deep inside she dared him to come after. Though, she would never confess that to Thomas. He had enough to worry about.

She watched as he walked to the fridge and grabbed two sodas, glancing appreciatively over his naked body. His laugh drew her attention to the window and she caught the sight of Mrs. Anderson, the neighborhood gossip watching them with a startled look on her face. She blushed with embarrassment but made no move to cover herself. The old bat probably was not getting any of her own, so might as well give her a show to last a lifetime.

“Well, im already fucked………..sooooooo………” She grinned at this, her eyes travelling down to his softening cock. “well, Fucked, and*Fucked” She couldn't help but giggle at his words. Yes he had been truly fucked and she had no regrets on that. On the hand, she knew what he really meant and it was a bit more concerning. At his mention of the crime scene, she raised a curious brow, opening her mouth to ask him if he had second thoughts about giving her information but was stopped by his finger on her lips. She couldn't help herself, she sucked her finger into her mouth and swirled her tongue around it before pulling away with a grin.

“Washington is on the other side of the country,” she said, giving him a confused look. “How exactly do you expect us to get there and back before tonight?”

“and I still want to see these beautiful lips wrapped around my cock…….if im going to die, I want to go to heaven first” Pulling back from his touch, she leaned in and kissed his neck, trailing her lips up to his ear. “If you want that you are going to have to beg me for it first,” she whispered, nibbling on his ear before pulling back and pushing him away from her so she could slide off the counter.

“Well, I was dressed,” she said, looking down at her ruined clothes. “We are really going to have to stop doing this, or my clothes budget is going to sky rocket. Sorry, I don't have anything here that will fit you, so you are going to have to go home to change. I will be ready when you return.” Placing a quick kiss on his lips, she turned and walked back into the bedroom and pulled out new clothes. Dressing in a dress shirt and pants, which were more suitable for a crime scene, she quickly fixed her hair and makeup before walking back into the kitchen.

Last edited:
“If you want that you are going to have to beg me for it first,” that caused him to snort “I don’t beg and well you know it” he shot back, giving her a panty melting cocky smirk, watching as she marched off towards her room, Washington is on the other side of the country, How exactly do you expect us to get there and back before tonight?” he didn’t answer her, instead he watched her Pert ass as she rounded the corner into her bedroom, “We are really going to have to stop doing this, or my clothes budget is going to sky rocket. I don't have anything here that will fit you, so you are going to have to go home to change he shrugged, and leaned against her counter as he polished off his can of soda and left the empty sitting on the counter, legs and arms crossed he smiled. She was such a little firecracker, she amused him to no end. Minutes later she walked back in, stopping she glared at him as he was still naked and waiting, making an irritated “lets get a move on” gesture with her hand he crossed the room to her, almost like he was gliding he slipped an arm around her “leave the travel plans to me babe, you are such a Negative Nancy” and he took delight in the spark of anger that flashed in her eyes. Just as she was about to say something he kissed her, weaving a hand into her hair, he watched, waiting, as her eyes finally fluttered shut and when she was thoroughly distracted and kissing him back he teleported them to his condo in Florida.

As he broke the kiss and stepped back, he smacked her ass then stepped away “it’ll just be a few minutes, Make yourself at home, I think you’ll enjoy the view” he said, “It overlooks the Everglades National Park” looking over his shoulder he rounded the corner into his bedroom and smirked at the that lost look on her face as she glanced around, pausing at the door he watched as his words finally registered, and she realized they were no longer at her home. Chuckling he moved around his bedroom, slipping on his watch and grabbing his phone off the nightstand, he dressed in minutes, choosing to avoid the Armani since she’d destroyed the last one and went with Versace instead, and a sedate dark colored shirt and suit jacket, moving to his dresser he popped open the drawer, looking towards the door he rifled through a few different wallets, checking the ID’S then pocketed one.

Stepping from the bedroom he moved to her as she stared out over the valley and forest below and beyond that, the Crystiline waters of Whitewater bay. “ready ?” he said softly, watching her jump briefly and he hide the smile as her gaze turned towards him “Like it?” he asked gently

“I don’t beg and well you know it” She smiled to herself at the thought of making him regret those words as she walked back into the kitchen, freezing at the site of him still leaning naked against the counter. Exasperated, she made sighed, signalling for him to hurry up. It was already mid afternoon. If they wanted to make it to the crime scene before the end of the day, a miracle would have to happen.

And just as she thought it, a miracle did happen. One moment she was standing in the kitchen, getting ready to berate him for not being ready to go and the next his lips were capturing hers and she felt her eyes drifting closed in pleasure. When she opened her eyes again, she found herself standing in an unfamiliar room, while he stood there with a smart ass look on his face.

“How the.. What the...” she stuttered, jumping as he smacked her ass. She was too stunned to even say anything else as she watched him walk naked into what she could only assume was his bedroom. Shaking off the shock, she started to look around, appreciating that he seemed to have good taste in decorating. She walked to the window and looked out at the view. He was right, it definitely was a beautiful view, one that she could enjoy waking up to each day. She smiled at the thought of waking up in his home and then frowned, realizing that it would probably never happen, since they in reality only had 48 ours left together.

She was so lost in thought that she didn't hear him come back into the room before he spoke and she jumped slightly before turning back towards him. She allowed herself to get a good look at him in his expensive suit and grinned. “A little over dressed I would say,” she teased, her eyes undressing him. “And yes, I like. Oh, did you mean the view, yes it is nice as well.” Laughing, she walked over to him and kissed him softly.

“Are you ready to go?” she asked. “Though, I am not too sure if I will ever get used to your way of travel, I can definitely appreciate the efficiency of it.”

“yes, I like. Oh, did you mean the view, yes it is nice as well.” he chuckled and shook his head, stepping to her, “the glass is reinforced, I often come here during hurricanes to watch the storms, its peaceful” he said as he again looped his arm around her, staring out into the sunlit blue skies. Just holding her for a moment “and don’t worry about your wardrobe budget, I can help with that” he quipped, cupping her face he again kissed her, pulling her tight to his body, yes he was indulging, but he’d discovered a few hundred years ago that the teleportation could be very disorienting to a non supernatural to the point some had even passed out, so he’d found it best to find a way to distract said human and they often didn’t feel the effects of the shift. As she again closed her eyes and moaned into the kiss he flashed them to Washington. Breaking the kiss he again slapped her ass as he pulled away, grinning at the indignant huff she gave him as she again blinked to look around

“Glacier Washington,” he said, looking around the ally they’d appeared in peeking around the corner of the building he straightened his suit jacket and pulled out a pair of sunglasses, “The murder was at a remote cabin run by the Mt. Baker Vacation cabin’s company on the east side of town” he said as they proceeded out onto the sidewalk “you have your badge and gun with you?” he said, taking her hand as they walked, appearing to all others as tourists out for a walk. He constantly looked around, flagging down a taxi “Car rental place around here?” the taxi driver just nodded and took them across town. Took about 15 minutes but he found a car that would suit them and paid for it, slipping his wallet back into his pocket he drove them across town.

As they pulled up the road he saw the flashing lights from the police cars, and he drove right up to the Police barrier and rolled down his window as an officer approached Sorry, Business is closed, police business He merely nodded and pulled a wallet out from inside his suit coat pocket and opened it “Edward Sullivan, Adriana Morgan, FBI, here to investigate” the cop’s back snapped ramrod straight Oh you guys got here quick, yea go on in He waved them forward and he tucked the wallet back into his pocket giving Adriana a sidelong glance and the Narrow eye’d scalding glance she was throwing at him didn’t bode well for their conversation later. “Later” he said quietly as they parked and he got out.

She knew what he was trying to do when he leaned in to kiss her, but she didn't fight him. Instead she leaned into the kiss, pulling him close as her eyes drifted shut in pleasure. When she opened them again, they were now in a dirty alley, in what she could only assume was at the destination. She jumped and yelped as he slapped her ass and confirmed her assumption was correct. They were now in Glacier, Washington, the scene of the last murder.

“So what now?” she asked, following him out of the alley and into the street. Her stride matched his as they made their way down the street, her hand feeling natural to be in his.

“you have your badge and gun with you?” She had to resist the urge to roll her eyes at that question, did he think she was stupid. “Of course I have my gun and badge. Did you think I would walk onto a live crime scene without it?” She watched as he hailed down a passing taxi and climbed into the back seat with him. They rode in relative silence until they reached the car rental place. She half expected him to rent some flashy sports car, to match his suit, but was pleasantly surprised when he asked for a regular sedan, which would be less noticeable.

“So, I just realized,” she started as they rode towards the crime scene. She was amazed he even knew how to drive, since he seemed to teleport anywhere, but he appeared to be rather confident behind the wheel. “How am I going to explain to my boss how I got here so fast? We just got news of the murder less than two hours ago. I am going to have to come up with a really good excuse.” As if on queue her phone rang, her boss' number flashing on the screen.

“Morgan,” she answered, flashing a silent glance at him to be quiet.

“Morgan, I know you are on vacation, but, I need you to fly to Washington,” he said, making her frown. She had to think up an excuse for her being there already and fast.

“Thing is boss, I am already here,” she said cryptically, hoping he wouldn't question how it was even possible.

“You are already in Washington?” he replied, the confusion obvious in his voice. “How did you get there that fast? I only sent you the case information two hours ago.”

“I just happened to already be up here visiting my ailing grandmother in Mount Vernon,” she lied, hoping he wouldn't see right through her. “When you sent me the information I rented a car and headed towards Glacier. It happens to be that I was only about an hour away.”

“Oh, well, I am sorry to hear about your grandmother,”he replied, his voice indicating he was done with the call already. “The locals are aware that we are sending someone to look over the scene. They will just not expect you to get there so soon. I will expect a full report from you by tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” she stuttered, that wouldn't give her any time to interview the locals or anything. “Fine. I will do what I can.” With that she hit end on her phone, not even bothering to say goodbye, just as they pulled up to the police barrier at the scene. She reached for her badge, intending to give it to the officer but paused as Thomas pulled out one of his own. She frowned at that. How was she going to explain his presence if word got back to her boss, though, she had a feeling that this Edward Sullivan did exist somewhere in the FBI employee records and would appear legit to anyone who went digging. Still she flashed him a scalding glance as he parked the car, a rebuke on the tip of her tongue, only silenced by his request to leave it for later.

Climbing from the car, she followed him to where the techs were milling around the scene. At first glance it was apparent that this was definitely the same killer. There was the ever present altar covered with blood, which she could only assume held the body that had already been shipped off to the coroner's office. The symbols carved into the makeshift altar matched the other scenes.

“How long was the body here before anyone found her,” she asked, walking up to a man who was obviously the lead on the case. He looked her over, giving her a “who the fuck do you think you are” look before closing his notepad.

“Sorry, let me introduce myself,” she said, holding out her hand for him to shake. He blatantly ignored it, his hand remaining at his side. “I am Adriana Morgan, FBI. I am the lead agent on the Ritual Killer case. This is agent Sullivan.” The detective held out his hand for Thomas to shake, still ignoring Adriana, making her fume at his blatant misogyny. She shook of her anger and sighed. She was used to men treating her this way in her line of work.

“The body was found by some hikers early this morning,” he replied, talking towards Thomas. “It appeared to have been there for several hours before they found it and coyotes has already started tearing at it. It was not a pleasant scene.”

“Did anybody see anything strange in the area,” she asked, bringing the attention back to her. “Has there been any witnesses that have come forth.”

“No Ma'am,” he replied, finally looking at her. “Just the two hikers, who we have already questioned and sent home. They didn't have anything must to tell us either.”

“I will need their names and phone numbers and a copy of their statement,” she said, remaining professional as she took notes in as she spoke. “I will also need to see the body. I assume the body was taking to the coroner's office.” She watched as he scribbled down a couple names and phone numbers and an address from his notes.

“Here is the names of the two the found her and the address to the coroner's office she was brought to. As for their statement, I will have that sent to you once I am finished my report.” With those words he turned her back on her and went back to what he was doing.

“Well he is a fucking asshole,” she whispered to Thomas as she slowly walked around the scene, looking for anything that might have been missed. “Do you see anything that might be helpful, Agent Sullivan?” her voice held a mocking tone as she looked at him. “Take a good look. We will head to the coroner's office next.”

He listened with great amusement as Adriana talked to her boss, as he parked the car he just grinned at her mouthing the word “Liar” at her teasingly, cracking a smug grin as he waited for her to get off the phone. Laughing as she just flipped her middle finger at him he quipped “again, later” giving her a wink he slid his sunglasses back in place and got out of the car. As they walked through the troves of police he looked around, brows furrowing, taking the time to study the Rune’s on the makeshift alter, frowning as he looked around, he got no sense of magic left in the area, the same as the last 4 killings he’d been too, “The body was found by some hikers early this morning, It appeared to have been there for several hours before they found it and coyotes had already started tearing at it. It was not a pleasant scene.” No, Thomas was sure it wasn’t, coyotes were the worst scavengers, he nodded as the officer continued to talk and explain the scene to them, his eyes straying to Adrianna as she too studied the runes on the makeshift alter as well, smiling as she took control and started grilling the officers about the scene.

He inhaled several times as he moved along the trees, catching a scent on the air he frowned, moving around he inhaled several times, looking to the north his eyes narrowed, but as one of the officers called his name he turned, walking back to the scene, chuckling as he caught Adrianna berating an officer for mishandling evidence or some such thing, eyebrow peaking at the mention of hiker’s, he would have to pay them a visit. Taking the card with the Coroner’s offices information on it he pocketed it. Still looking around he let his eyes go unfocused, taking in the energy around them…….except there was none……even the natural energy that pulsed from the world was just gone…….blinking he looked to Adrianna as she nudged him “Do you see anything that might be helpful, Agent Sullivan?” He arched an imperious brow at her, his lip quirking just slightly “Take a good look. We will head to the coroner's office next.” he tugged on his suit jacket to straighten it “Ive………..seen………all I need to see I think….yes, the Cororner’s office” he confirmed, turning he followed her back to the car.

Once inside and the doors were shut he looked to her “we have a few other leads to follow, and a Coyote pack to track down” starting the car he backed up then turned around “ask your questions” he said, giving her a sidelong smirk

She couldn't help but watch him out of the corner of her eye as he walked around the crime scene. It appeared that he had caught a scent of something near the trees but turned back to the scene without looking into it further. She made a mental note to ask him about it once they were away from prying ears. She was in the middle of berating one of the techs for handling some of the evidence without their gloves on when he rejoined her. She felt herself flush with anger as the detective passed the information she requested to Thomas, but she bit back a retort. She had a feeling she would have to deal with him again and it wouldn't bode well if she made an enemy out of him right of the start.

She watched Thomas slip the card into his pocket and continue to look around the scene. She frowned when he paused, a blank look on his face. She didn't know the full extent of his powers, but, it was obvious to her that he was onto something. Noticing the others start to look their way, she nudged him to get his attention. She smiled as he tugged his suit jacket in place, having to admit to herself that he looked almost as sexy in the expensive clothing as he did naked. Though if she had to choose one over the other, it was obvious what her choice would be.

“Ive………..seen………all I need to see I think….yes, the Coroner's office” She nodded her head in agreement and headed towards the car. Climbing into the passenger seat, she flipped open her notebook and made a couple of notes as he climbed into the driver's seat.

“We have a few other leads to follow, and a coyote pack to track down” She cocked her head to the side in confusion at his mention of the coyote pack. Why would he have interest in the animals? All they did was see a free meal and take advantage of it. She frowned as she mulled it over for a moment and realized it did make sense. The animals may have taken crucial evidence away from the scene and they would never know unless they tracked them down.

“ask your questions”* At this, she looked over at him, taking a deep breath. “Well to start, where the hell did you get official FBI credentials? You know it is illegal to impersonate a federal agent. If it got back to my boss that I was working hand in hand with a criminal, he would surely pull my badge.” Sighing, she sat back in her seat. How was she gone to explain his presence if word ever got back to her boss? It was something she would just have to face if it ever came to light. Why was she even worrying about it. For all she knew, she would be dead in 48 hours and it would all be a moot point.

“So what did you find out from the scene?” she asked, turning her attention back to him. “I noticed that you were particularly interested in something at the northern edge of the scene. Also, what the fuck was with the blank stare? It was a little creepy to watch to be honest. Either way, I hope you were able to find out more that I did. I didn't see anything different than the other crime scenes, other than the utter incompetence of the team out there. Did you see the carelessness of the way they were traipsing through the scene?”

Sighing again, she leaned back against the headrest of her seat and closed her eyes, trying to picture the scene in her mind. She always had a fear after processing a scene that she had missed something and for some reason, the feeling was nagging at her even more than normal.

It didn't take them long to get to the coroner's office, a small brick building at the edge of town. She looked over at him, before opening her door to step out. “Anything else you need to tell me before we go in there?”

"Well to start, where the hell did you get official FBI credentials? You know it is illegal to impersonate a federal agent. he gave her a lopsided grin as he looked sidelong at her chuckling at her anger If it got back to my boss that I was working hand in hand with a criminal, he would surely pull my badge.” he laughed "One, im not impersonating "anything" My credentials, are all valid, well, as far as the humans are concerned, Think of that movie, what was it? Men in Black? Fingerprints, retinal scan, all legitimately fake, " he said, showing her his hand, "due to the magic we possess, we can hide our fingerprints at will, especially handy when reaping souls," as they came to a stop light he looked to her, smiling

"Two, Your boss doesnt know me, the files and any chance of a memory pertaining to me minus the ones youve managed to successfully hide from me, have all been scrubbed, Your boss decides to look into me he will find nothing but a Veteran Agent from the "special investigations" division, which exsists, and doesnt actually exsist, so stop fussing, because you cranky is distractingly hot" he teased, the light turning green he made the turn that took them south out of town and a right turn onto the road that would take them to the cornorer.

“So what did you find out from the scene? I noticed that you were particularly interested in something at the northern edge of the scene. his hands tightened on the steering wheel, damn the women was too observant for her own good, you'd think he'd of realized she would have been paying close attention to him. Also, what the fuck was with the blank stare? It was a little creepy to watch to be honest. he laughed, a deep rumbling growl that had his shoulders shaking, Yup WAYYYYY too observant, damn women "Anyone tell you that you are seriously too nosey?" he teased as he pulled into the driveway of a newer building, "City Coroner" sign over the front door, turning the car off he looked to her "Like the last 4 murders, the area has been drained of any and all magic"

Seeing the blank look on her face he smirked "The earth itself, has a natural flow of magic that has largely been forgotten about by humans through the centuries, but there was a time when small groups of humans could control and use that magic. Then there is the innate magic within humans themselves, Everyone has it, but as i just said, almost everyone has forgotten how to tap into it" crossing his arm over his chest he twisted, gripping the arm with the opposite hand and stretched, his shoulder giving a slight "pop" he sighed and rotated his shoulder "all supernaturals have the ability to either use, or sense that magic, and the flow of magic in a given area, as reapers we are especially sensitive to it, as we use it ourselves all the time as youve seen."

Popping open his door he got out, watching as she followed suit, having her hand dismissively in the air as if clearing it I didn't see anything different than the other crime scenes, other than the utter incompetence of the team out there. Did you see the carelessness of the way they were traipsing through the scene?” he laughed again "Yeaaaa, they were not too bright were they?" he laughed again as they walked to the front door “Anything else you need to tell me before we go in there?” he gave her a lecherous lear "Your ass looks great in those pants?" he quipped, smirking as she just glared at him because yes, he did know exactly what she was asking and he was being obviously oblivious "Nothing that needs to be shared right now" of course he could tell her the "coyotes" he was going to look for werent "animals" at all, he'd seen the thoughts cross her face earlier when he'd mentioned finding them and he was pretty sure she assumed he meant the pure blood coyotes.

As they entered into the building the scent of death hit him, which was no surprise, but he felt a hum of near electric magic zing through the air........there were souls here, souls that refused to leave after being released, also not unusual but they often didnt possess this much magic potential, perhaps someone here might have seen something that could help. Allowing Adriana to take the lead showing ID this time they followed the Medical examiner through the halls to a room in the back but Thomas largely ignored that man talking concentrating on what he was sensing as they passed several of the exam rooms, a ping of magic told him which rooms had spirits. As they entered one room he stilled in the doorway, again he let his gaze go unfocused, the twinge of magic that he felt, his gaze falling to an open cooler and bed, he stared at the Male spirit that stood there, looking pissed.

Feeling Adriana elbow him he blinked several time, staring down at her she made an "Are you coming" gesture, and he noticed too the examiner was staring at him oddly "umm sorry, caught off guard.....i guess......errr........didnt know what i was expecting" he lied, and he caught the narrowed eyed gaze Adrianna shot him, she knew he lied his ass off and he fought to keep from grinning at her as they turned towards the body. Over the next 45 minutes he stared at the body, as the Examiner went over the wounds and his findings, and he kept ignoring the heated press of ghostly eyes and demands for attention aimed at the back of his head. As they peeled off their gloves adriana turned to him Anything else Sullivan? he shook his head slightly then looked to the Doctor "Can you give us a few minutes to talk in private?" the examiner nodded and left the room and Thomas shut and locked the door. Sighing he rubbed his temples Well? he heard Adrianna ask, half question, half impatience,

Holding up his finger he turned his gaze to the lockers along the far wall "would you stop bitching already?" he growled, Umm Excuse me? He heard Adriana snipe at him, and again he held up his hand "shhh" crossing his arms, his eyes going unfocused then turning pure white as he stared at the male spirit "You know damn well i cant talk to you with the humans here" he said again, the male ghost approaching him, obviously peeked Oh fuck that old windbag, and shes human!! the ghost pointing dramatically at Adriana Listen, people dyin here, some crack pot fuck killin them girls Thomas arched a brow, aware that Adriana was looking at him like he was insane "Yes she is human, but she's special, and i know they are dying, do you know what happened in the forest?" the Ghost gave him a sardonic look He done killed them girls and stole their magic, he after something, something big, had a black book with him and some young kid

Thomas blinked "Young kid? like teenager? thats new....." he replied the Ghost merely nodded But something bout the kid was wrong, tainted, not right in the attic, a wildness about him Silently Thomas thought "Shifter" its usually what it means when someone senses wildness...."Anything else?" the Ghost merely shook his head, nodding he blinked a few times, his eyesight clearing and the color returning to his iris's he looked at Adriana, unable to decifer the look on her face as she stared at him "So, it appears he has help...." he said "come on, lets go, i need to have a talk with the coyotes"

She couldn't help by roll her eyes at his mention of the movie Men in Black and his faked credentials. No matter what way he came by them, they were till fake and illegal. Either way, she didn't really think it was something worth arguing over, since she did want his help on the case. If she had to endure the fact that he was walking around pretending to be a real FBI agent to catch this bastard, then so be it.

She flashed him a dirty look at his mention of her being cranky. Could he blame her really. She had this monster running around killing innocent people and maybe less than 48 hours to live. She wasn't exactly the picture of perfect happiness in the moment. The only redeeming factor of it all is the mind blowing sex they had been having.

She watched him closely as she asked him what he found from the scene. She noticed his adverse response to the question right away and arched a brow. He knew something he was not telling her, or had no intention of telling her. It irked that he was still hiding things from her.

"Anyone tell you that you are seriously too nosy?" She laughed softly at this shaking her head. “Well duh, its my job to be nosy,” she replied, looking up and out the window as he parked the car in front of what was clearly labeled as “City Coroner”. She turned her attention back to him when he mentioned the area being drained of magic, a confused look on her face. She listened intently as he explained the earth's magic, wondering if she put her mind to it she would be able to detect the magic that apparently was all around them. Before she even had a chance to try, he opened the car door and stepped out into the sunlight. She quickly followed suit and quickly stepped in front of him , taking the lead as they walked towards the building.

Your ass looks great in those pants?" She flashed him another dirty look as they walked past a group of officers standing on the stairs of the building. It was all she needed for them to hear him and become the butt of their jokes. She frowned when he indicated that there was nothing else for him to share. She knew he was lying but she wasn't about to call him out about it within hearing range of the others. As they entered the building, she could instantly feel a change in him. It was as if he was suddenly on high alert, his eyes darting back and forth as they made their way down to the morgue where the body was being held. It was a minute after walking into the room, deep in conversation with the examiner that she realized he had stopped in the doorway instead of following them. She turned back to him to see that he had that same unfocused look on his face as he did back at the crime scene and she frowned, looking over at the examiner to see if he had noticed.

“Are you coming?” she asked, clearing her throat to get his attention. The examiner gave him a strange look before turning back to the body on the table.

"umm sorry, caught off guard.....i guess......errr........didnt know what i was expecting" She narrowed her eyes at this, giving him a “we will talk about this later” look before turning her attention back to the body and what the examiner was saying. It wasn't her first rodeo, she had seen plenty of bodies laid out on cold steel tables in her years as an agent. Still she listened closely to what the examiner had to say, ensuring not to miss anything. Occasionally she glanced over at Thomas who seemed too attentive to what was going on, as if he was trying to ignore something else. When the examiner was done she looked up at him to see if there was anything else. When he shook his head no, she turned to leave, assuming they were done there, but was stopped in her tracks by his request to the Doctor to give them a minute alone.

“Well, what was that about?” she asked impatiently, leaning against the counter. She frowned as he held up a finger and looked towards the lockers at the side of the room.

"would you stop bitching already?" She was taken back by this and a felt a flicker of anger at the audacity of him. Her rebuke was cut off by his shushing her and she sighed in displeasure, crossing her arms across her chest but falling silent. She gasped as the unfocused look returned to his face and his eyes suddenly turned white. What kind of voodoo bullshit was this. She took a step back to distance herself from him as he started to talk to someone else that she couldn't see. Her frowned deepened as she listened to the one sided conversation, making out that he had to be talking to someone, or something about the killer and crime scene. When he finally shook his head and looked back at her, his eyes returning to normal, swallowed slowly, not too sure if she wanted to know who he was talking to or what he had found out.

“What the fuck was that?” she asked, sure that her shock was written all over her face. “I thought the whole blank stare thing was creepy, but this, this was a whole new level.” Taking a deep breath, she looked around the room, a chill running up her spine when she realized they were not alone. “Who were you talking to? Was it a ghost? What did he tell you?”

"So, it appears he has help...." he said "come on, lets go, i need to have a talk with the coyotes" She didn't know if it was her nerves about the situation or how incredulous he sounded but she almost burst out laughing at these words. When she realized he wasn't joking, she shook her head and smiled.

“Have you gone crazy?” she asked, the amusement written on her face. “Who do you think you are? Some kind of coyote whisperer. How the hell do you expect to talk to them. Whatever, I will humor you. Where do we find these “coyotes” you want to talk to? We are running out of time. If you wanted to play with a dog, we could have gone to the pound.” With these words, she stalked from the room, expecting him to follow her. She stopped briefly to pick up the coroner's report and then headed back out to the car, her mind reeling with everything that had happened back in the morgue. He had some explaining to do, and fast, before she lost her patience with him.

“What the fuck was that? he gave her arched brow, the pitch of her voice higher then he’d ever heard it since he’d met her I thought the whole blank stare thing was creepy, but this, this was a whole new level.” he laughed as he leaned against the roof of the car, staring across the roof at her “Creepy huh? “ and he looked around “You have spent the better part of a week fucking a Grim Reaper, and me talking to the dead is creepy??? Really???” he laughed again, watching her face turn a nice deep shade of embarrassed and pissed off red as they got into the car and he started it so the air conditioning would cool things off “Who were you talking to? Was it a ghost? What did he tell you?” he inhaled softly and rubbed his face, laying his head back on the the seat headrest he straightened and looked to her “Sometimes, when we reap souls, most of them pass on to the ethers, but sometimes the magic they possessed in life was higher than normal, and they refuse to pass on, instead, they remain as a haunt, or a remnant of their former selves, “ pulling out his cell his fingers taped quickly as she shot off a text message then put the phone back in his pocket. “lets get some lunch” he said as he pulled out of the drive.

He could see out of the corner of her eye she was fuming mad, and he had to keep from smiling, he’d seen the look she’d been giving him and she was pretty sure he was off his rocker at this point. As he pulled into a McDonalds Parking lot she huffed crossing her arms “Who do you think you are? Some kind of coyote whisperer. How the hell do you expect to talk to them? Whatever, I will humor you. Where do we find these “coyotes” ?” as soon as she said that his phone beeped and he glanced at it, arching a brow he read the text then tucked the phone back inside his suit jacket pocket “North, about 15 miles,” he laughed when she huffed and muttered a curse, he didn’t quiet hear it but he was sure it wasn’t pleasant

“well, you talk to the Coyotes like you would talk to any other person, you’d be surprised how well they understand humans” he grinned at her, now just intentionally trying to rile her out, cause fuck, she was hot angry “relax dear, everything will get explained, “ he paid for and grabbed their food, then headed north out into the country woods, checking his phone again he pulled off about 13 miles and got out, looking around “well, the Coyote Den is about 3 miles……….that way…..” he points in a “that wayish” direction “feel like a nature walk?” he grinned at her, his smile only growing at the death glare she shot him “yea I didn’t think so “ chuckling he slipped an arm around her waist “youre so easy” he teased, kissing her again as he teleported them deep into the forest. As he pulled away he looked around, tilting his head as if listening to something he turned “come on” feeling her pull on his arm he looked back the look she was giving him clearly stated ‘You’ve fucking lost your mind”

Sighing he crossed his arms “listen, you need to trust…………..” he arched a brow as he tilted his head, turning he looked into the brush “oh, must have been out on patrol” he said, “we have company” he looked around sensing something moving “Ok mutt, I know you’re there, im here to see the Alpha” he stated, a low growl coming from his left he turned, arching a brow as 3 large Coyotes stepped from the brush, and he just crossed his arms, hearing the click of a gun he glances at Adrianna then at her hand “its ok, they aren’t going to hurt us, they know better………” a snort from one of the coyotoes brought his attention back to the 3 hunters “Really?” he sighed “come on Pup, you know youre no match for me, stop your grandstanding, im sure your Alpha would be happy to hear you got your ass kicked and need a healer”

Another russel in the brush brought with it a rough Irish accent What ye be doin ‘ere Crow? chuckling he turned, keeping an arm slung loosely around Adrianna “Sight Seeing, saw a murder in town, my lover here wanted to see the local wildlife” a series of growls from the 3 coyotes behind them after the Wildlife crack, made him grin Ya ought te know better about wanderin in shifter territory with eh human, Crow Thomas shrugged “We looked over the bodies of a few hiker’s who’d had chunks eaten from their corpses, they were found about 6 miles east of here, in your territory, we wanted to see if your mutts got into anything they shouldn’t have, or if they’ve seen anything that could be of us” The man just crossed his arms giving Thomas a peeved glare, but another snarl behind Thomas had him turning, shoving Adrianna behind him she was suddenly enveloped in darkness as the sound of cloth ripping was heard and Thomas pulled her hard against his body as he seemed to be jarred by something but stayed upright “Oh you little shit” Thomas growled feeling Adrianna fighting to pull away from him but he couldn’t hold her, but its as she looked at up him, then tried to glance over his shoulder that he saw the shock in her eyes as she saw the large black feathered wing that had surrounded her, then her gaze fell to his other hand where he held his Scythe

Damn ye boy, settle eh fuck down a snarl met that rough irish curse and Thomas turned, his wing still enfolding Adrianna but she could see the Man had the Coyote pinned by the throat to the ground, Shift back Damn yeh lifting the coyotes head the man slammed it into the ground and the pup whimpered. A silver haze seemed to form around the creature blurring its features before a boy, not long into his teens appeared where moments before the Coyote had laid Get yee arse back to the cabin, deal with ye later he snarled before he rose and turned, glaring daggers are Thomas and Adrianna “Ye be a fucking asshole Crow, tauntin the boy like that, well come on, might as well head to the house now. he said, canting his head in the direction. Slowly Thomas unfolded his wing from around Adriana and himself, rolling back his shoulder as it curled behind his back then just seemed to melt into his skin, the back of his suit jacket torn he muttered “Fucking kids today cant take a joke”

Adriana held back an internal scream of frustration as she climbed into the car. He was so damn frustrating. If it wasn't for the fact that she needed him to solve this case and that he was so hot in bed, she would have told him to get lost a long time ago. Yet, here she was, listening to him explain to her how souls somehow refused to pass on and all she could think of was that maybe she was getting herself in things way over her head. Crossing her arms she sat back into her seat, shooting him a dirty look.

She smirked as he pulled into the McDonald's drive through to pick up lunch. Of all the places that he could have chosen, he picked McDonalds?

“You really know how to treat a lady,” she said, watching as he read a text on his phone and cursing at his dismissive laugh to her question about the coyotes. She could feel her anger growing more as he joked about taking to the coyotes just like you would talk to any other person. When he told her to relax, she flashed him another dirty look and grabbed the bag of food he offered to her. Her stomach growled as she opened the bag and the smell of greasy fries assaulted her nostrils. She picked up a fry and ate it, watching him out of the corner of her eye as he drove towards their destination, wherever that was.

She had just finished her chicken nuggets when he pulled off the rode and put the car into park. She looked around and frowned. They appeared to be in a heavily wooded area away from civilization. Taking one last sip of her soda, she climbed out of the car behind him and looked around. If they were here for reasons unbeknownst to her, she would have found the place rather beautiful, but she was in no mood for sightseeing.

“Where now?” she asked, grimacing and scowling at him as he pointed towards the woods. She had dressed appropriately for the crime scene they had attended, but she sure as hell was not dressed to go traipsing through the woods. She was just about to protest when he slipped his hand around her waist and pulled her close, the feel of his body so close to hers taking her breath away. Her anger slowly slipped away as his lips found hers and her eyes drifted closed in pleasure. When she opened them again she found that they were now even deeper in the woods, something she was not too sure she was comfortable with. Her hand moved to the handle of her gun as she looked around. Still she started to follow him further down the path they were on, despite the unsettling feeling stirring in her stomach. “Come on,” she urged, pulling on his arm, not wanting to stay there longer than necessarily.

“listen, you need to trust…………..” Her eyes scanned the trees as he seemed to be listening to something. “we have company.” Whatever or whoever was out there, she couldn't make them out through the denseness of the trees. Then again, she hadn't been able to see the ghost he had spoken to earlier and for all she knew, it could be another lost soul he was talking about.

*“Ok mutt, I know you’re there, im here to see the Alpha” She flashed him a what the fuck look before she heard the low growl coming from the trees. She couldn't help moving closer to him as the three large coyotes emerged from the trees, their teeth showing. She pulled her gun and cocked it, pointing it in their direction. At his direction she lowered her gun but kept it held loosely in her hand. No matter how confident he was that they were not going to attack them, she didn't trust them. They were wild animals after all, weren't they. Yet here he was talking to them as if they were human and they seemed to understand him.

The rustle in bush to the right of her caused her to raise her gun again as she turned towards the noise. She frowned as a man emerged from the trees, lowering the gun again as Thomas slid his arm around her. Her eyes moved back and forth between the man and the three coyotes that were still surrounding them. Her eyes widened as the man mentioned shifter territory. Every instinct in her body wanted to scoff off the idea of shifters, another creature of lore, but with everything that was going on lately, she was hesitant to listen to those instincts. She could tell his dismissive way of talking about the coyotes was angering them as well as the man. She heard the snarl after it was too late. She raised her gun towards the sound and found herself shoved behind him and shrouded in darkness. She fought for a second, trying to figure out what was going on, but the feel of his body against hers calmed her. She felt his body lurch as if he was hit and she once again tried to push past whatever was surrounding her, her hand coming against what felt like a wall of feathers. She heard Thomas curse at what she could only imagine was one of the coyotes and she renewed her fight to free herself from his grasp. She felt the pressure around her lighten and she could finally see. A gasp fell from her lips and her eyes widened as they fell on the large pair of wings that appeared to have grown out of his back. Her eyes narrowed at the scythe in his hand, very aware of what it was capable of. She allowed herself to be turned with him as he turned back towards the man, frowning at the site of him slamming the young animal into the ground. It wasn't the coyote's fault, Thomas had goaded him into attacking. She was not impressed that he had done that and intended to give him a piece of her mind when they were alone.

Finally he released his grip on her and she slipped from his arms, watching in wonder as his wings seemed to disappear back into his body. She already thought his powers were amazing, but this new manifestation made her breath catch in her throat. Even if she hadn't thought of him as before, she sure as hell did now.

She stood wordless as she followed behind him and the other man deeper into the trees. She needed answers, though she was still too shocked to even speak.

He couldn’t help but take a small………ok, large amount of satisfaction at seeing her rendered completely speechless for once. Watching as the pup was hauled away, and the other 2 shifters following behind the elderly man he looked back at her, his eyes crinkled in amusement “See, Told ya we’d be fine” he said, idly rolling his shoulder from where the pup had hit him, and he could feel a small trickle of blood running down his back from where the pup had bitten into his wing, but he hid it for now, he’d heal quickly, although his shoulder and arm were going to be sore for a day or two. Little bastard had tried to rip his feathers out. Curling his arm around Adrianna he smiled and gestured “we wont have to worry about any other incidents.” He stated as they started walking, following the 3 coyotes and the old man a few hundred yards deeper into the woods before it opened into a clearing where stood an old fashioned three story log mansion, smiling as he took in the site “wowww, isn’t, that’ gorgeous” he stated as he took in the look of the polished and refined wood, watching as the 3 pups shifted to human form completely naked, he chanced a glance to Adrianna to see her reaction as the teens ran up the stairs and into the house. Ye might as well come in then the old man said as he too walked up the stiars of the Pack house.

[I[Ye want any’tin ta drink? We has a fresh brew of tea,[/I] he stopped and half turned, pegging Thomas with a stern glare And we can bandage up your wound Crow, the blood be drivin the pups into a frenzy he offered, and Thomas winced as he felt Adrinna stiffen and heard her quiet, but sharp “you’re HURT? You can be HURT?!?!” he just gave her a Cheshire grin and shrugged, hiding the wince from his already stiffening muscles “Some tea would be great, thanks” he nodded, choosing to ignore the very hard stare he felt digging into the back of his skull from Adrianna as they stepped inside, and he had to admit, these coyotes knew how to decorate. Stepping through the foyer and into the kitchen a middle aged women was puttering at the stove, the smells of fresh bread, and cookies filling the air Thomas had to inhale, and practically salivated at the scent

“That smells utterly devine” he said as they were offered seats, a water kettle beginning to whistle the women took It off the stove and turned, giving Adrinna a friendly but appraising look, then her gaze turned to Thomas and her nose visibly flared as she breathed in Off with the shirt she snapped, walking over to the table and practically shoving Thomas into a chair Shamus, my medical bag the women said, the old man nodding “Its ok, I will “ the women cuffed Thomas upside the head then pointed take it off, or lose it Crow, ill stick the bite again Thomas felt Adrianna’s heated stare as she glared at him, holding up his hands in an “ok ok I give” gesture he unbutton his jacket and this time did wince when he took it off, then undid the buttons of his shirt, as the women pulled the shirt away it was sticking along his left shoulder, the smell of blood patterning the air “You’re an idiot” the women said, pouring the steaming kettle of water into a large bowl and grabbing a wash cloth and dipping it into the steaming bowl, Thomas had been about reply, but instead hissed as the women slapped the hot compress over the 8 inch gash in his back, causing him to hiss and glare Don’t glare at me boy, you deserved getting bit, what the hell were you thinking provoking the pups??? thomas said nothing as the women began cleaning the gash, the old man returning with a large leather bag, quickly pulling out needle and thread

They were almost at the clearing before the shock wore off and Adriana realized that he had his arm around her. She barely acknowledged his flippant remark and instead pressed against him, allowing herself the comfort of his body close to hers. As she leaned into him the scent of blood assaulted her nostrils and her eyes widened. He had been hurt in the attack, but he was acting like nothing had happened. She tried to pull away to look at him, put he tightened his arm around her.

As they stepped into the clearing, his injuries were temporarily forgotten as her eyes fell on the beautiful log mansion that stood before them. She nodded her head in agreement to his question and then gasped as the three coyotes shifted into human form and ran into the house. She hadn't been entirely convinced that the coyotes were anything other than mere animals until she saw them change form. She shook her head at her herself. Why should she have doubted otherwise, considering everything that had happened in the last few days.. She quietly followed Thomas and the old man into the house, pulling away from Thomas as they approached the surprisingly modern kitchen.

“And we can bandage up your wound Crow, the blood be driving the pups into a frenzy,” The old man's words brought her attention back to him and she finally took a good look at him. Despite his attempt to hide his pain behind his smile, she could see it in his eyes. Her eyes widened in surprise.

“You're hurt?” She blurted out, taking a step towards him. “You can be hurt. How is that possible?” She frowned as he turned his back to her, accepting the offer of tea as they entered the room. Her eyes fell on the woman standing at the stove, her stomach grumbling at the smell of fresh bread and cookies. She returned the woman's smile as she slid into a chair across from Thomas.

She couldn't help but smirk as the woman started ordering Thomas and shoved him into his chair. She had to bite back a laugh as she cuffed him up the side of the head, doing what she had been wanting to do since they had ran into the coyotes earlier. She watched as Thomas slowly removed his jacked and shirt, wincing at the amount of blood that stained the fabric.

“You're an idiot,” She smirked again. “I see she knows you well,” she said, laughing softly. “I like her.” She sat forward with interest as she watched the woman wash the wound, frowning at how deep it appeared to be. Secretly she couldn't help but agree with the woman who was angrily cleaned away the blood. He did deserve what had happened, especially if he knew that antagonizing the coyotes would get them to attack him. She watched as the woman took the needle and thread and quickly sewed the gash shut before covering it with a clean bandage.

“Since we have not been properly introduced, I am Adriana Morgan,” Adriana said, holding her hand out to the woman. She intentionally didn't add the FBI, not wanting to out herself just yet. She knew Thomas had mentioned the murder earlier to the old man, but, he had not told him everything and she wanted to keep it that way until she had gained their trust a little more.

“Cairyn O'Reilly, “ the woman replied, taking her hand in a firm shake. “You seem nice, what are you doing with a scoundrel like this one?” Adriana smiled at this, shaking her head. “Let's just say I met him at work,” she replied cryptically, looking over at Thomas with a grin. Turning serious again, she looked back at Cairyn and the old man.

“Honestly, I am an FBI agent,” she said, stiffening as she saw the wary look come to their eyes. “I have been on the trail of the Ritual Killer and when we realized that the most recent body appeared to have coyote bites, Thomas suggested we talk to you.” Taking a deep breath, she continued. “I am not accusing your boys of anything, but, I need to talk to them. This killer has killed 20 innocent people so far and I have yet to find a way to stop him. Any help I can get to solve this case would be greatly appreciated.”

“You're hurt? You can be hurt. that actually made him flinch as she fairly shrieked that statement, How is that possible?” he just gave her a lop sided grin as he attention was snagged by Cairyn, his lips twitching into a bigger grin as Adrianna announced her amusement and like of the coyotes pack mother, shaking his head he sighed softly, watching as Cairyn set out a bowl of steaming water and the first aid kit. Wincing as Cairyn again cuffed him upside the head before she pulled out gauze and set to work cleaning up the blood Oh yesss, he can be hurt, but he likes to showboat Cairyn said as Thomas winced, the needle and thread working to stich up the slash in his shoulder blade, Thomas turned his gaze to look at Adrianna as she explained who she was and why they were there. Cairyn stared at her, even as she continued stitching, considering Adrianna with shrewd eyes before she cut the thread with a claw and set the needle aside, pulling out a bottle of peroxide. Thomas began to protest then Yelped as she slapped a soaked bandage against the cut causing him to hiss his body clenching hard cursing Most supernaturals cant be hurt by human means, but supernaturals attacked by supernaturls can be hurt same as any human, Cairyn said as she began cleaning up ] so you met him……….at work??” she questioned, her nose flaring as she planted her hands on her hips Is that why his scent is all over you? her voice lilting up into a question, her lips twitching into the smallest smirk before she turned her back and moved the medical supplies

The pups are out playing right now, they should be back before dinner, you can talk to them then” she said, turning to face Thomas and Adrianna she crossed her arms, Thomas was managing to keep a straight face, but he kept glancing to Adrianna, watching her reaction to what Cairyn had just said about his scent being on her

Adriana could feel her cheeks reddening under Cairyn's scrutiny and comment about Thomas' scent being on her. Trying to be subtle she sniffed herself, and blushed again at the realization that the scent of his cologne intermingled with her perfume. Though his cologne was all she could smell on herself, she was sure that was not what Cairyn was referring to. Coyotes were known for their acute sense of smell after all. Trying to hide her embarrassment, she watched as Cairyn put away the medical supplies, her eyes flickering over his now bandaged wound. Up until now she had assumed he was damn near invincible. To know he had some vulnerabilities made her concerned, since he seemed to have a very self destructive attitude at times.

“An FBI agent are you,” Cairyn replied with a smirk, looking over at Thomas. “What have you gotten yourself into this time? I guess if you think she can be trusted, then we don't have no problem with her. Maybe she is just what you need to keep your stupid ass in line.” Adriana couldn't help but smile at this, looking over at Thomas for his reaction. He had always been so self assured and confident around her, so she found it rather amusing that Cairyn was able to put him so easily in his place by her sharp tongue.

“Have any of your, err pups been acting strange lately?” Adriana asked, her professional demeanor returning. Before either of them could reply the door slammed open and Adriana felt a shiver run up her spine. She turned towards the open door and found a young man standing there his glare taking in the scene before him. As she looked into his dark, brooding eyes she felt another shiver run down her spine. There was something off about him that she could not seem to put a finger on. She glanced over at Thomas to see if he felt it too.

“Ah, Joseph, excellent timing,” Cairyn said, motioning at the chair across from Adriana. “Take a seat. These two have a couple of questions to ask you. Are your brothers coming back soon as well?”

“I don't know, I wasn't with them,” he replied, his eyes casting warily over Adriana and then Thomas as he took the indicated seat. “What is he doing here?” He snarled a bit as he looked at Thomas. It was obvious to Adriana there was no loved shared between them. “What questions do you have that you think I would have the answers to?”

“Where were you last night?” Adriana started, surprised to see something dark pass across Joseph's eyes at the question. “There was a murder not far from here and there was evidence of coyotes in the area. Do you know anything about that?” Before she could get her final words out, Joseph jumped from his seat, knocking his chair back.

“Are you accusing me of killing that girl?” he yelled, his face flush with anger. “I had nothing to do with it. I was here last night, up in my room.”

Adriana cast a glance at Thomas again. She had never mentioned it was a girl that was murdered. It appeared that Joseph knew more than he was letting on.

“We are not accusing you of anything,” she said, taking a deep breath. The last thing she wanted to do was to scare him off before she got any information from him. She could see him visibly calm as she spoke. Cowering under the angry glare from Cairyn he picked up the chair that he knocked over and returned to his seat.

“My brothers and I came across of pack of wild coyotes on our morning run,” he said looking down at his hands. “They had blood on their muzzles. We just assumed that they had killed a deer, but, maybe they were the ones that left tracks at your crime scene.”

Adriana nodded at these words. What he was saying made sense. But, something still bothered her about him. There was something he was not telling them. Looking up at Thomas she cocked her head towards the door as an indicator that she wanted to step outside for a moment.

“Please excuse us for a moment,” Adriana said addressing the room. “Thomas, can I see you outside please.” With these words she headed for the door, hoping that Thomas would get the hint and follow her.

Thomas grinned as he watched Adrianna blush, god that was sooo cute, he watched the death glare she shot at him and it only made his grin widen, having to fight hard to keep from laughing out loud when she tried “subtlety” sniffing herself. And failed. He did however catch the look in her eyes when she glanced at him, was that a hint of……..worry?..........what? did she think he couldn’t protect her anymore or something? And that thought in itself offended him, he met her eyes and cocked a brow as if saying “im still better then you” before her attention was pulled away and he settled back into the chair he occupied, the cranky old man bringing him a shirt Thomas looked at it “its Flannel……” he said, the man just snorted Get over it Crow and walked away, Thomas staring at the shirt as if he’d light it on fire then sighed slipping it on, he didn’t do flannel. Rolling up the sleeps he stared at Cairyn who only gave him a smirk and a shake of the head. “What have you gotten yourself into this time? I guess if you think she can be trusted, then we don't have no problem with her. He straightened himself in the chair holding his hands out the side “I!! didn’t get myself into ANYTHING, thank you very much…….” He thumbed a finger at Adrianna “She merely stuck her nose where it didn’t belong and I got caught up in her investigation” ok, so that sounded just a TAD bit too defensive, and he saw the flash of a smirk on Adrianna’s face AND Caiyrns and he huffed crossing his arms

Maybe she is just what you need to keep your stupid ass in line he rolled his eyes “you know damn well that we aren’t SUPPOSE to mingle with mortals, the serial killer managed to implicate me in the killings, and while I took care of it” he again pointed a thumb at Adrianna “SHE, is a lot more difficult to mind alter then most, so now im stuck trying to cover my ass AND stay under the councils radar because I cant get her mind clean enough to not remember anything” he said again, watching as Cairyn just continued to smile at him Yesss, that is frustrating, and im sure the fact she is young, exceptionally beautiful, doesn’t take any shit from you, and about to come into heat has nothing to do with it at all Thomas locked his back teeth and his jaw, working hard to bite back the snapping retort he had as Cairyn’s all too knowing eyes pegged him, she knew he liked her, and that it pissed him off, he had never been this easy to read before, fucking shifters and their heightened senses……

Happy to have Adrianna take Cairyn’s focus away from him he ground his teeth, crossing his arms in a clearly defensive posture he crossed his ankle over his knee and leaned back against the chair, for all intents and purposes appearing casual, his eyes turning towards the door as he heard footsteps and felt the wash of teen energy minutes before the door opened and a tall lankey male walked in. “Ah, Joseph, excellent timing, These two have a couple of questions to ask you.Cairyn greeted, and he watched as Joe’s gaze met his own Thomas arched a brow, the hostility and……………….something beneath the scent of the boys outrage hitting him like a sledge hammer, “What is he doing here?” came the boys reply and Thomas inhaled slowly, scenting the air…..watching the kids attention turn back to his mother “I don't know, I wasn't with them,What questions do you have that you think I would have the answers to?”

Thomas let Adrianna lead the questioning, he kept his gaze squarely on the male, not missing the interesting fact he mentioned “killing that girl” the scent of Trepidation replacing the rage in the air. I had nothing to do with it. I was here last night, up in my room the very slight narrowing of Cairyns eyes told Thomas she too smelled the lie on the boy, We did come across of pack of wild coyotes on our morning run, They had blood on their muzzles. Thomas brow creased……….that wasn’t a lie………but he sensed, not completely the truth either. He’d been about to ask a question when Adrianna’s curt Please excuse us for a moment, Thomas, can I see you outside please.” Thomas blinked, and looked to Adrianna “uhhh………..ok?” he said “excuse us” he nodded respectfully, as they walked outside, when it seemed she was about to stop and face him he took her arm. Leading her down the stairs and a ways from the front of the house, “They have great hearing” he said quietly before stopping them about 50 yards from the house, turning he looked at her “as you’ve already surmised, he’s lying, but not completely, there is a ring of truth to his words, but not completely…..” he stated bluntly “Also, youre fucking cute when you blush” he couldn’t help but needle her

Last edited:
Adriana shook her head at the raised eyebrow glance he flashed her as she studied his wounds. It had that air of cockiness to it that she so wanted to slap out of him at times. At least Cairyn had gotten a good swat in, which satisfied her for the time being. When he balked at the flannel shirt she couldn't keep her amusement in check and laughed out loud along with the old man.

“Aww, princess doesn't do flannel,” she teased, shaking her head again. “If you hadn't been such an idiot you wouldn't have ruined your shirt and jacket. Like he said, get over it” She watched as he rolled up his sleeves, admiring his muscular arms. She had to admit, even if he didn't like to wear flannel it did look good on him. Gave him that rustic lumber jack kind of vibe, instead of the stuck up stock broker look he usually wore. Though either one was sexy on him, she couldn't say it wasn't.

"She merely stuck her nose where it didn’t belong and I got caught up in her investigation” Adriana raised an eyebrow and smirked at his defensiveness. What he was saying was technically true, but, she couldn't help it if he hadn't been careful enough to hide his presence at the crime scenes.

“you know damn well that we aren’t SUPPOSE to mingle with mortals, the serial killer managed to implicate me in the killings, and while I took care of it” When he spoke these words Cairyn looked over at Adriana with a confused look and back at Thomas, shaking her head as if to clear it.

“She's mortal?” she said giving her another skeptical glance. “Well hot damn, she had me fooled. It must burn your ass that you are not able to wipe her mind and go on your merry way.”

"Yesss, that is frustrating, and im sure the fact she is young, exceptionally beautiful, doesn’t take any shit from you, and about to come into heat has nothing to do with it at all” Adriana smirked again at Cairyn's words and Thomas's obvious discomfort at her hitting it so close on the nose. Though the thought that Cairyn might be aware of what she truly was wiped the smirk off her face just as quickly as it appeared. She didn't want Thomas to know yet what she suspected about herself and prayed that Cairyn wouldn't push the subject further. She breathed a sigh of relief when their attention was drawn away to the arrival of Joseph and their questioning of him.

Following Thomas out of the house she followed him into the yard, looking at him expectantly when he turned to look at her.

“as you’ve already surmised, he’s lying, but not completely, there is a ring of truth to his words, but not completely…..” She nodded her head in understanding and looked back at the house to ensure they weren't being watched before she looked back at him.

“Why would he lie,” she replied taking a deep breath. “He was obviously at the crime scene. We didn't make any mention that the victim was a girl, yet he let that piece of information slip out. Also, you mentioned that the ghost back that morgue mentioned a helper and then we ended up here. There is something you are not telling me. Is Joseph the helper that the ghost saw at the scene?”

“Also, you're fucking cute when you blush” She sneered at his words. “Fuck you,” she hissed, though a smile started to creep on her face. As much as she pretended that his silly antics drove her crazy, she did kind them cute in their own way.

“So, where do we go from here?” she asked, turning back towards the house. “Do you have any further questions for Joseph? Or perhaps we should wait for his brothers to return to see if they have anything to say.” Just as said the words a pair of young teenage boys came walking up the lane. The older boy was playing a game of keep away with what looked like the other boy's hat and they didn't see Thomas and Adriana standing there until they almost ran into them.

“Sorry didn't see you standing there,” the older boy apologized, his eyes obviously glancing appreciatively over Adriana in a typical teenage boy fashion. “Thomas. Its been awhile since you have been in our neck of the woods, what brings you out here?”

Last edited:
“Aww, princess doesn't do flannel, If you hadn't been such an idiot you wouldn't have ruined your shirt and jacket." He fixed her with a cold stare, an imperious brow arched "Next time i will let him attack you then......the pup was circling for an angle to jump you, i taunted him so he would attack me instead, i can take a clawing, you cant" he stated flately, but she could see the slightest twitch of his lips as Cairyn snorted "we dont normally allow humans sooo..............." Cairyn shrugged, not contradicting Thomas. once outside Thomas glanced around as Adrianna crossed her arms and stared at him.

“Why would he lie, He was obviously at the crime scene. We didn't make any mention that the victim was a girl, yet he let that piece of information slip out. Thomas nodded, yea he'd picked up on that slip too, scratching his chin he sighed "I dont know.....while i am on good terms with most Shifters, i try not to press my luck and this is regretfully all brand new territory for me, since i dont usually "interrogate" shifters." he sighed his hand curling around to scratch the back of his neck, his ear twitching as he caught sounds of movement around them "Also, you mentioned that the ghost back that morgue mentioned a helper and then we ended up here." his eye began to twitch, he was abou to respond when she steamrolled over him There is something you are not telling me. Is Joseph the helper that the ghost saw at the scene?” he shook his head to that "No, none of them had the scent of Magic on them, and with the power the killer possesses, its hard not to miss it if it taints others, i scent the death on them, but not hte magic, so they werent the helper...."

“So, where do we go from here?” his eyes involuntarily fell to her ass as she turned, he was a reaper, but he wasnt dead, and she had a great ass “Do you have any further questions for Joseph? Or perhaps we should wait for his brothers to return to see if they have anything to say.” Thomas shrugged "Again, i dont know, we could wait, not like it would hurt anything right now" Turning as one of the other boy walked out of the woods he smiled Sorry didn't see you standing there,” Thomas chuckled "Liar, youve been watching us since we walked out here" he retorted and the boy looked to the ground, trying to hide the chagrin of being caught "and keep your eyes off my female pup" and that did make the boy laugh Its been awhile since you have been in our neck of the woods, what brings you out here?” Thomas pointed a thumb at Adrianna "She does, we are tracking a rogue magic user " the boy twitched y..y..yea, we've...................sensed it............" he said, looking away

"Next time i will let him attack you then......the pup was circling for an angle to jump you, i taunted him so he would attack me instead, i can take a clawing, you cant" She hadn't had time to reply to him while still in the house, but, what he said weighed heavily on her mind as they stepped out into the warm sun. Did he really just protect her from being attacked or was he just spouting off lies to protect his fragile ego. She hadn't felt any danger from the coyotes until he had started antagonizing them, but, he had been in this world a whole lot longer than she had, so it was likely he was telling the truth. That thought unnerved her a little. This whole other side of things that she was being exposed to by being with him seemed like a dangerous place. Was she really ready to be part of it?

She shook the thought from her mind as listened to him speak about the magic the killer possessed and his thoughts on Joseph. It appeared that she had the kid all wrong, if Thomas was to be believed. It was nothing more than angsty teen vibes she had been picking up from him, nothing sinister as she had originally thought. The fact that she had even jumped to that conclusion made her question herself even more. What had gotten into her?

“I thought you said that there was a lack of magic at the crime scene,” she inquired. “If you couldn't detect any magic there, why is lack of the scent of magic on the coyotes any different. Or maybe there is more that you are not telling me.”

She wanted further answers from him, but, it appeared that he had no more to give or any idea where to go now. She was just about to tell him that the should just go when the young boys ran into them. She again chastised herself for not being aware that they had been watching them the whole time, though it appeared that Thomas had known all along.

“Keep your eyes off my female, pup" She glared at him at these words, her posture clearly indicating her displeasure. She belonged to no man. She made a mental note to give him a piece of her mind once they were alone again.

“y..y..yea, we've...................sensed it............" She could feel the fear and apprehension radiating off the young boys at the mention of the rogue magic user. She knew in that moment that they had been at least to the crime scene, if not a witness to the crime itself.

“Where were you last night, early this morning,” she asked blatantly, giving the boys a hardened, no bullshit look. Don't lie to us. Your brother already told us about the pack of coyotes you came across. But, there is more to it isn't there?”

The older boy swallowed nervously, looking back and forth between Thomas and Adriana before taking a deep breath. “We went for a run this morning before everyone else was awake. We had been out for about an hour when we smelled blood in the air. At first we thought it was a dear that was killed by some of the wild coyotes but as we got close the blood smelled different, tainted almost.” He paused and looked at his younger brother who had stood silent until that point. “I told Joseph that we should turn back but he wanted to find the source of the blood. When we finally found the source the wild coyotes were already trying to feast on the remains. We scared them off but it was too late for the girl, she had been dead for hours before we got there.”

Adriana listened intently as the boy told his story. She felt an honesty to his words, sure that he was telling the truth. She could just imagine what it must have been like for the young boys to come across such a horrendous scene. No wonder Joseph had been so defensive when they started asking him questions.

“Why didn't you call the police,” she asked, her voice kind and coaxing to get him to tell the rest of the story.

“I wanted to,” he continued, a look of shame crossing his face. “But, Joseph told us we would get in trouble if we told anyone. We were not supposed to be out at that time of the day, without our parents knowing where we were. Besides, we saw those hikers heading in that direction on our way back to the house. I figured they would call the police.”

Adriana took a deep breath and sighed. Now they knew more about the coyotes that disturbed the scene, but, because the boys had arrived after the killer was long gone, she wasn't any closer to finding him.

“Thank you,” she said, turning to Joseph and shaking her head. “This was a bust wasn't it. All coming here ended up accomplishing was you getting hurt and confirming that the wild coyotes had been trying to eat our victim. We are not closer to finding the killer or his accomplice. Lets go and let these fine, err people, enjoy the rest of their evening in peace.”

With those words she walked back into the house, not waiting for Thomas to follow her. She found Cairyn and the old man alone in the kitchen, Joseph nowhere to be found.

“The young lad went up to his room if you need to talk to him anymore,” Cairyn said, putting away the clean dishes she had just finished washing.

“No, I think we have what we came for,” Adriana replied taking out her business card and setting it on the table. “This is my number if the boys think of anything they forgot to tell us, or if you notice anything suspicious in the area in the next few days. I am sorry to have disturbed your day. Thank you for your time.”

“You were no bother at all lass,” the old man replied, his face breaking out in a smile. “Now that scalawag you brought with you, that is another story.” Adriana couldn't help but smile in return at the poke he made at Thomas, even if she knew he was joking.

“It is getting late. We need to get going,” she replied, turning towards the door. “I have a report to write and my boss is anything but a patient man. She stopped at the door, waiting for Thomas to say his goodbyes, her mind reeling with what they had learned.

Back