When, if ever, can we use stereotypes in our stories and jokes?

AG31

Literotica Guru
A few days ago I got all smiley feeling as I watched a father having breakfast with a quite young toddler. I got visions of little tiny people having complete control over big tall executive types. The competent man not quite sure of how things worked, at least not like the mommy would be. It was heart warming and I entertained the idea of writing a post about it, perhaps in a different news group.

But then I stopped. I couldn't write such a little essay, because it would be stereotyping. Certainly lots if executive type dads are perfectly at home taking care of their toddler. Often way better acclimated than the mom.

But it was such a smiley scene! And I thought about other stereotypes that I like to think have provided fun without much harm. The dumb blond. The hovering Jewish mother. The prim librarian. I suppose they have caused distress, but does that always trump fun? I think someone has observed that puns are the only kind of joke that don't involve putting someone down.

Then, today, I got involved in the thread What Might a Woman Get Wrong When Writing from a Man's Point of View? I thought, at first, that it was targeting physical experiences. Maybe it was, but it quickly evolved into a discussion of how men and women behave differently and experience different thoughts and emotions. As I said in the thread, I don't think any characteristic named could be applied to all men, but some of them are quite a bit of fun.

If you want to target an audience of readers who only know those stereotypes and tropes, go write/right ahead. It'll most likely be very bland, cliched and dull, but there'll be an audience for it, no doubt about it. A not very imaginative one, probably, but there'll be one.

Jokes are a perilous thing in erotica, I'd have thought. Bound to backfire, especially with those who don't understand irony or satire. They'll think you're being straight faced, and will take offence at something, guaranteed. And don't forget about cultural differences, they'll get you every time.

I love using stereotypes because with one word, you can avoid writing paragraphs of description. I guarantee that if I write any of these words following, "She was a", you'll already have drawn her picture in your mind.

Blonde
Redhead
Barmaid
Nurse

It works for men too.

Cowboy
Cop
Musclebound

Stereotypes are a good way to start a description of a character and then hone that description with deviations from the stereotype. Yes, there will be a few people who will be offended, but they're probably offended by more things than you'll ever write about.

Stereotypes are fine for side threads and side characters you want to include and get across as succinctly and quickly as possible. Readers are pretty comfortable with stereotypes as long as they aren't ones the specific reader takes highly personal.

I love using stereotypes because with one word, you can avoid writing paragraphs of description. I guarantee that if I write any of these words following, "She was a", you'll already have drawn her picture in your mind.

Blonde
Redhead
Barmaid
Nurse

It works for men too.

Cowboy
Cop
Musclebound

Stereotypes are a good way to start a description of a character and then hone that description with deviations from the stereotype. Yes, there will be a few people who will be offended, but they're probably offended by more things than you'll ever write about.
What’s fun is to set that up and then subvert it. Maybe the blonde went to grad school (👋), maybe the red haired girl doesn’t have a fiery temperament, maybe the cop is gay.

Emily

If you can use the stereotype in a positive way or a shortcut for developing the character, I usually have no issue with it. It’s when stereotypes are used for negative purposes that I have problems. It’s sometimes hard to tell the difference.
What’s fun is to set that up and then subvert it. Maybe the blonde went to grad school (👋), maybe the red haired girl doesn’t have a fiery temperament, maybe the cop is gay.
Subversion of stereotypes is great too. The main redhead in my stories doesn’t have a fiery temper (but she does like elaborate schemes, so watch out for that) and I have two gay cops as side characters (read Saving Sandra). At least one blonde grad school student (Emily in Fire Woman) too.

If you can use the stereotype in a positive way or a shortcut for developing the character, I usually have no issue with it. It’s when stereotypes are used for negative purposes that I have problems. It’s sometimes hard to tell the difference.

Subversion of stereotypes is great too. The main redhead in my stories doesn’t have a fiery temper (but she does like elaborate schemes, so watch out for that) and I have two gay cops as side characters (read Saving Sandra). At least one blonde grad school student (Emily in Fire Woman) too.
All blondes who have gone to grad school are called Emily. It’s Federal Law.

I think like many things, it's subjective. Intent is key. Are we using the stereotype as a literary shortcut? Are we using it to be intentionally cruel or negative to a character, or though that character an entire group of people?

@EmilyMiller uses the "dizzy blonde" stereotype masterfully in her character Lily; an angel from heaven now a "fish out of water" among humans.

Lily often comes across as silly or naïve, but that's just surface level. Beneath the image of sexy, ditzy little blonde, the character has much more depth and perception than those around her realize.

Kinda like the writer who created her. ;)

Stereotyping a character can be lazy, or creative. All depends on how you write it of course.

I’ve done work for the CIA (they wouldn’t let me in the Mafia, but we can be friends, right? ;) ), and that is often among their methods.

Times they are a changin, though. Anymore it's the gay cop that's the stereotype.

A few days ago I got all smiley feeling as I watched a father having breakfast with a quite young toddler. I got visions of little tiny people having complete control over big tall executive types. The competent man not quite sure of how things worked, at least not like the mommy would be. It was heart warming and I entertained the idea of writing a post about it, perhaps in a different news group.

But then I stopped. I couldn't write such a little essay, because it would be stereotyping. Certainly lots if executive type dads are perfectly at home taking care of their toddler. Often way better acclimated than the mom.

But it was such a smiley scene! And I thought about other stereotypes that I like to think have provided fun without much harm. The dumb blond. The hovering Jewish mother. The prim librarian. I suppose they have caused distress, but does that always trump fun? I think someone has observed that puns are the only kind of joke that don't involve putting someone down.

Then, today, I got involved in the thread What Might a Woman Get Wrong When Writing from a Man's Point of View? I thought, at first, that it was targeting physical experiences. Maybe it was, but it quickly evolved into a discussion of how men and women behave differently and experience different thoughts and emotions. As I said in the thread, I don't think any characteristic named could be applied to all men, but some of them are quite a bit of fun.

Anytime you want, as long as it moves the story forward.

IMO... Stereotypes are part of our normal lives. We are all influenced by them. Even if it's subconsciously.
So... Why wouldn't a writer use them? They exist, are part of our culture, imbedded in the way we think.
To not use them would be the crime...
But I do love Em's idea of flipping it.

Cagivagurl

Back