When I Grow Up I'm Going To...

When I was a kid I wanted to do some combination of writing, design, humor and advocacy. I'm now doing all of that stuff, just not quite in the ways I envisioned it in third grade.

I reread this thread and I'm glad I did. Lots of nice compliments about simple facts. Thanks. Maybe I did grow up.

Dollie was born and abused in SW Minnesota. Her two worse abusers, two older brothers, stole dad's Willies wagon and headed for central Illinois to live with grandparents.
The family followed after and eventually lived just north of my parents. The family were all mean, hateful, and sexually abusive to all females of the family.
My brother's GF set me up for ONE date with that redneck northern hillbilly. She dressed like a Quaker or Morman. Sort of like she came off the little house on the prairie.
I was young, hardly ever dated, but wanted a girl with tits. Dressed like a scarecrow it wasn't till the second or third date I even knew Dollie had tits. Never expecting to stay together I also played with those tits out in the open along with anyone else around.
In time something happened. Lust...love ? I was never rough with my playing and everything we've always done Dollie knew she could say no. Somehow we grew up together and actually spent a lifetime living our fantasies. It's not just a user name and we actually do now live on Memory Lane. We have nothing to hide and so much to be thankful for.
When I grow up I want to tell the world about our simple life and simple games.

There wasn't supposed to be a second or third date! Back when we were just kids we married and everyone said it will never last. Sometime I wonder!

This is really lovely. What a heartache about Dollie's past.

I didn't meet my husband until later in life. Sometimes we're sad we don't have more time together and yet we both think if we met earlier, we might not have been ready for each other.

It's good you found each other.

:heart:

When I was a kid I wanted to do some combination of writing, design, humor and advocacy. I'm now doing all of that stuff, just not quite in the ways I envisioned it in third grade.

It's nifty you are doing the things you dreamed about as a kid.

I think if I were doing the things I dreamed of in 3rd grade, I'd be riding Black Beauty on an island with NO BOYS. I'm kind of glad that didn't work out.

This is really lovely. What a heartache about Dollie's past.

I didn't meet my husband until later in life. Sometimes we're sad we don't have more time together and yet we both think if we met earlier, we might not have been ready for each other.

It's good you found each other.

:heart:

:heart: I have sometimes wished I had met Master sooner. But then I realise I wouldn't have been ready. I would more likely have ran in the opposite direction! :D Or have just been too nervous in his presence to talk with him about anything real. So I am glad we met when we did and how it came about.

When I grow up, I want to be.............oh wait, whatever it is had better hurry itself along, I'm already old.
I worked as I wanted to work for more than 40 years. Now, I don't have that work and I'm not sure what to do with myself. Doing nothing is hard work, nothing and I don't get along well. I gave myself a pass for two years, and the times about up. I feel terrorized, excited and directionless. I'll figure out something. I always do.

When I grow up, I want to be.............oh wait, whatever it is had better hurry itself along, I'm already old.
I worked as I wanted to work for more than 40 years. Now, I don't have that work and I'm not sure what to do with myself. Doing nothing is hard work, nothing and I don't get along well. I gave myself a pass for two years, and the times about up. I feel terrorized, excited and directionless. I'll figure out something. I always do.

I kind of get this feeling. l'll be a widow (that is so weird to write) sooner than later. The idea of "what next" is too much to think about right now. But it's a reality around the corner.

I've been waayy too grown up for the last 3 years. I think I'm going to throw on a tiara and live near some water for while. And THEN I'll grow up.

Haha! I lasted all of 4 months and started job hunting again. After another 4 months I found a really cool part-time position that gives me a reason to get my ass out of bed every day and I'm the boss so if I'm late, I don't get in trouble.

So the longest I've not worked has been 8 months over 40 years. Two years would drive me crazy. you'll find something that trips your trigger!

I kind of get this feeling. l'll be a widow (that is so weird to write) sooner than later. The idea of "what next" is too much to think about right now. But it's a reality around the corner.

I've been waayy too grown up for the last 3 years. I think I'm going to throw on a tiara and live near some water for while. And THEN I'll grow up.

Hugs Cookie! Trust me...you don't have to grow up. Pick a point and start counting down each birthday. You'll get younger and smarter and sometimes, just sometimes...you get a do-over.

As long as you spread a little glitter at the water's edge, you'll have a blast.

It's nifty you are doing the things you dreamed about as a kid.

I think if I were doing the things I dreamed of in 3rd grade, I'd be riding Black Beauty on an island with NO BOYS. I'm kind of glad that didn't work out.

You're so right - I am indescribably lucky to be able to do the things that bring me joy and at which I've always had some natural abilities and inclination.

First of all, :rose: . Second of all, you're inspirational. You don't intend to be, at all, but you are. Third of all, Black Beauty and a tiara and water sound like a balm. Maybe "when you grow up" should always be one to two years away, so that one can adapt to what one's needs are NOW. That kind of self-awareness would make for happier people.

(Also, and this is an inappropriate political aside, but the fact that health care is so bizarrely tied to jobs in the U.S. is a dream killer. How many people have abandoned or deferred dreams or entrepreneurial ventures because they couldn't chance leaving their health care??? Thank you for reading this political aside.)

Also, and this is an inappropriate political aside, but the fact that health care is so bizarrely tied to jobs in the U.S. is a dream killer. How many people have abandoned or deferred dreams or entrepreneurial ventures because they couldn't chance leaving their health care??? Thank you for reading this political aside.

I don't think this is political, it's more a personal thing. Following your dreams takes courage. Not money. Not willpower. Not luck. Courage, plain and simple.

Things don't always work out. You may never achieve stardom or even moderate success. The road will probably be rocky and long and there is a risk of heartache; both for you and/or others. Healthcare should be the least of anyone's worries when faced with this decision.

It's your dream. Your possibility. Your future and vision. All it takes to get there is to reach deep, find your courage and take that first step on the path. It may go off the cliff, but you won't know until you take that step.

Indecision and fear of taking that step are hidden behind the facade of "I'll lose my healthcare" and all of the other excuses people use to keep themselves in a hole in the name of "security". We should not give in to fear.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. - Marianne Williamson

If anyone is considering chasing a dream, PLAN, GET ADVICE FROM EXPERTS, PLAN SOME MORE, find your courage and then take that step. Otherwise all you have to look back on is Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.

I wanted to be a singer, the older I got the more I realised, I could only be a singer if everyone else suddenly lost their hearing. Not that it stopped me from singing, I still do (my poor family)

You're so right - I am indescribably lucky to be able to do the things that bring me joy and at which I've always had some natural abilities and inclination.

First of all, :rose: . Second of all, you're inspirational. You don't intend to be, at all, but you are. Third of all, Black Beauty and a tiara and water sound like a balm. Maybe "when you grow up" should always be one to two years away, so that one can adapt to what one's needs are NOW. That kind of self-awareness would make for happier people.

(Also, and this is an inappropriate political aside, but the fact that health care is so bizarrely tied to jobs in the U.S. is a dream killer. How many people have abandoned or deferred dreams or entrepreneurial ventures because they couldn't chance leaving their health care??? Thank you for reading this political aside.)

You're right about the healthcare. My friend wanted to leave for a better job but she couldn't afford covering herself and her children for the three months it would take to get insurance through the new job. Her son is in remission for cancer and taking that chance was too risky. I've also worked with a lot of women that desperately wanted to retire, but they needed insurance coverage often for their spouses with health problems. If healthcare weren't a factor so many people would be able to move more freely in the job market.

No, "I'll lose my healthcare" isn't an excuse not to follow dreams. :rolleyes: It's a genuine reason when your child has a port in their chest and several doctor appointments and $800.00 a pop tests being done.

I don't think this is political, it's more a personal thing. Following your dreams takes courage. Not money. Not willpower. Not luck. Courage, plain and simple.

Things don't always work out. You may never achieve stardom or even moderate success. The road will probably be rocky and long and there is a risk of heartache; both for you and/or others. Healthcare should be the least of anyone's worries when faced with this decision.

It's your dream. Your possibility. Your future and vision. All it takes to get there is to reach deep, find your courage and take that first step on the path. It may go off the cliff, but you won't know until you take that step.

Indecision and fear of taking that step are hidden behind the facade of "I'll lose my healthcare" and all of the other excuses people use to keep themselves in a hole in the name of "security". We should not give in to fear.

If anyone is considering chasing a dream, PLAN, GET ADVICE FROM EXPERTS, PLAN SOME MORE, find your courage and then take that step. Otherwise all you have to look back on is Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.

This is all completely great advice and wise. I listened to an interview recently with a cognitive scientist talking about the concept of regret. College students who were studied regretted things they had done. Dumb things. Insensitive things. Old people regretted things they never did.

You're right about the healthcare. My friend wanted to leave for a better job but she couldn't afford covering herself and her children for the three months it would take to get insurance through the new job. Her son is in remission for cancer and taking that chance was too risky. I've also worked with a lot of women that desperately wanted to retire, but they needed insurance coverage often for their spouses with health problems. If healthcare weren't a factor so many people would be able to move more freely in the job market.

No, "I'll lose my healthcare" isn't an excuse not to follow dreams. :rolleyes: It's a genuine reason when your child has a port in their chest and several doctor appointments and $800.00 a pop tests being done.

And your thoughts are the right complement to HisArpy. Not having reliable health care (even when you/your family members are currently healthy) makes leaving a job to follow a dream way more risky. The acceptable risk factor for many people is too big. And add in existing (often pricy) illnesses and for most people it's simply not doable.

Go back to school and get a goddam arts degree. I wasted 4 years getting an ASB to appease parents. I want my Arts degree, dammit!

I'd like to lead a few kids' crafting groups. Our soon-to-be local rec group is looking for volunteers. They want a degree, dagnabbit! I've never been unhappy with how my "education" panned out (4.5 years = Associates...I wandered), but I'm suddenly feeling insufficient.

And there's a niggling voice telling me that trust-fund-slave won't pan out in a few more years. But who wants to hire an almost-60 for anything? Feh! I KNOW SHIT, DAMMIT!

Go back to school and get a goddam arts degree. I wasted 4 years getting an ASB to appease parents. I want my Arts degree, dammit!

I'd like to lead a few kids' crafting groups. Our soon-to-be local rec group is looking for volunteers. They want a degree, dagnabbit! I've never been unhappy with how my "education" panned out (4.5 years = Associates...I wandered), but I'm suddenly feeling insufficient.

And there's a niggling voice telling me that trust-fund-slave won't pan out in a few more years. But who wants to hire an almost-60 for anything? Feh! I KNOW SHIT, DAMMIT!

RANT ALERT
It really pisses me off when I see a group asking for volunteers but then add caveats as education, certification, etc. Scuse me!!! but do you want help or are you trying to hire someone? My momma taught me that beggars can't be choosers!

DS-you don't have an issue, it's the cretins with whom you are forced to interact.

When I was a little kid I wanted to be a cop and put the bad people in jail. But as a freshman in high school, I decided I was going to be a prosecuting attorney for many of the same reasons. I got so far as taking the LSATs but let myself get talked out of actually applying to law school. Smh

When I was a little kid I wanted to be a cop and put the bad people in jail. But as a freshman in high school, I decided I was going to be a prosecuting attorney for many of the same reasons. I got so far as taking the LSATs but let myself get talked out of actually applying to law school. Smh

You can still borrow my handcuffs and duty belt. I have a big gun:devil:

It's never too late. Even if it's only one class at a time.

That is so frustrating. Tell them that a degree is not a magic spell. There are MFAs who are not artists and MBAs who suck at business. The only thing they should want to see is your work.

As far as the degree goes. Go for it! You'll love every minute of the experience.

Now what did I come here to post before slipping into rant mode?
Oh right.

When I grow up I am going to be a middle aged pop singing sex symbol.
:)

I wonder if that anything similar to my dream... a middle-sexed singing aged Popsicle :D (or maybe my dream is just a fetish :eek: )

Back