What you can get away with in a Science fiction or fantasy context

Thank you for sharing. Beautiful.

That’s seriously a religious painting? And not two lesbians who have worn each other out?

Em
I can see how it might look that way to a modern audience, but this was painted in the 19th century, and as we all know lesbians hadn't been invented back then. No, this is a very serious topic, a depiction of the martyrdom of an early Christian convert and her servant who had also converted. If you look closely at the upper edge of the painting you can see a cross scratched on the wall, and to the left behind the bars there are two minimum-effortferocious lions underscoring the dreadful fate that awaits them.

I'll grant that, yes, they are naked. But a well-known minister of the time explained that this is merely symbolic of how, as martyrs, they have been stripped of everything. The gallery does mention that St. George Hare had a fondness for depicting naked women in shackles, but I expect this was simply an expression of his piety. Here's another of his religious paintings, "The Angel's Love":

1697717471893.png

And let's not forget his noble efforts to raise awareness of the plight of whoever this lady is:

1697716942690.png

(Drawing this back to the original thread premise: sci-fi and fantasy have nothing on religious art as a fig-leaf for horny artists exploring their fetishes.)

Maybe I was mistaken to abandon Catholicism. The artist knew what he was doing with the face of the woman in shackles!

Em

sci-fi and fantasy have nothing on religious art as a fig-leaf for horny artists exploring their fetishes.
UG4xAqtU6aT05lWHVJtXGOkJ2TIcyVHHb1N062Vh6Ss.png

More seriously, studying art at school was a revelation.

This is "Thoughts on the History of Italy" by Francesco Ayets.

659815.webp

And this is "The Kiss", also by him:

658562.webp

Last edited:
More seriously, studying art at school was a revelation.

This is "Thoughts on the History of Italy" by Francesco Ayets.

And this is "The Kiss", also by him:
The penis trolley made me think of the albatross skit from Flying Circus. And also 'bring out your dead.'

The penis trolley made me think of the albatross skit from Flying Circus. And also 'bring out your dead.'
Hello? Yes. This is Siri. Wanda can't come to the phone right now because Wanda has had an accident. In her pants. Yes, some wee came out. Yes. Yes. I'll tell her. Thanks. Bye.

You people see only rape and torture. I saw Spock. When I encountered trouble, I would think, 'What would Spock do?' I would then do that and problem solved. Admittedly, learning the Vulcan mind meld was difficult.

Back