What, no Eurovision Thread?

I'm Dutch, and even though I never watch the eurosongfestival I'm still annoyed that our country got disqualified for no good reason.

Even if Klein did something wrong, he should have been disqualified after the investigation was completed and after the public was properly informed about what happened.
As of right now it seems he didn't do so much wrong for such a harsh punishment

I'm Dutch, and even though I never watch the eurosongfestival I'm still annoyed that our country got disqualified for no good reason.

Even if Klein did something wrong, he should have been disqualified after the investigation was completed and after the public was properly informed about what happened.
As of right now it seems he didn't do so much wrong for such a harsh punishment
The police investigated, the public prosecution service felt there was reason to charge him. Whether or not he's found guilty at law, that would seem to indicate that his behaviour was unacceptable enough for a private organisation to exclude him.

Remember that the standard for "we refuse to be associated with this kind of behaviour" is often much lower than the standard for criminal guilt.

Also remember that he's responsible for his own actions. When people say, "It wasn't so bad," clearly the person on the other side of the situation felt that it was, and (more importantly) so did the police and the prosecutor. And it was Klein's own choice to act the way he did.

The police investigated, the public prosecution service felt there was reason to charge him.

They did?

Last I'd heard, they had ruled out charging him with assault and the prosecutor had not yet decided whether to charge him with making "criminally punishable threats": https://nltimes.nl/2024/05/12/eurov...ory-differs-disqualified-joost-kleins-version.

I've not seen anything about charges being laid yet, and by my very limited understanding of Swedish criminal process it would be unusual for charges to be laid so soon after an incident - IIRC, in the Swedish system charges are laid much later than they would be in most countries, usually only shortly before the trial. But I could have missed something here.

They did?

Last I'd heard, they had ruled out charging him with assault and the prosecutor had not yet decided whether to charge him with making "criminally punishable threats": https://nltimes.nl/2024/05/12/eurov...ory-differs-disqualified-joost-kleins-version.

I've not seen anything about charges being laid yet, and by my very limited understanding of Swedish criminal process it would be unusual for charges to be laid so soon after an incident - IIRC, in the Swedish system charges are laid much later than they would be in most countries, usually only shortly before the trial. But I could have missed something here.
Oh, could be. The last I heard was that he was going to be charged, but that was Friday night or Saturday morning. Either way, the point still stands. If it's gone that far, that's well beyond the line where a private organisation says "nope".

I'm very sad that Norway ended up being last. That was good music.

And Germany ended up 12th with the most cookie-cutter, by-the-numbers nothingburger of a song.

Gotta agree with LC: That Bambi Thug song was basically the whole Poppy schizo-bitch thing reheated. Didn't taste any better.

My biggest WTF - besides the hostiliy towards Israel and the last-minute exclusion of the Netherlands due to the singer assaulting a camerawoman - was Austria's song. I mean sure, we had Spain's Italo-Disco hommage but the Austrian song was straight-up '90s Eurodance. That sucker stuck in my head for most of the weekend.

I didn't watch Eurovision, but our contestant Windows 95 Man keeps popping up in my social media feeds. I've been lowkey amused that yes, we Finns are pretty casual about nudity compared to some more prudish nations, but sadly, this is what it often looks like in action šŸ˜ ...less shapely legs and more pasty, hairy asses. Such is life.

I didn't watch Eurovision, but our contestant Windows 95 Man keeps popping up in my social media feeds. I've been lowkey amused that yes, we Finns are pretty casual about nudity compared to some more prudish nations, but sadly, this is what it often looks like in action šŸ˜ ...less shapely legs and more pasty, hairy asses. Such is life.
If more people went around naked, I'm pretty sure nudity would soon become unsexual.

I am puzzled at people being surprised at the hostility of the crowd towards Israel. As it has been pointed out here, Eurovision has always been political (and hypocritical). I mean, looking only at more recent stuff, Russia has been banned because of the invasion, and rightfully so; The Dutch have been banned due to the performer "allegedly" assaulting a camerawoman. So the organizers are sending a message that they don't want to be associated with such behavior, and that's all fine. But apparently, they are perfectly okay with the genocide in the Gaza Strip and they do want to associate with such behavior.
It's the organizers who are blatant hypocrites, not the crowd, in my opinion. Now, are there people among the protesters who are just using this as an excuse to express their latent anti-Semitic views? - yeah probably, maybe there's even a significant number of those. But the protest in itself is very much justified.

I didn't know about it until it was over. When we lived in Europe, we watched, because it was taken as something big there.

Back