What I Wrote, and Why: Dry, No Lube

Voboy

Sometime Wordwright
Since everyone else is doing it...

When I was a boy, I played with Legos. Not the way kids do now, by buying a set and following the instructions; no, I just pawed through a bucket of a thousand loose Lego pieces, my fingers making a racket that set my father's teeth on edge, and let my hands build whatever my brain thought about. And it was the 1980s, so there were few curvy pieces and nothing ended up smooth. And I could never find the other piece of the hinge when I needed one.

I played a Lego game of interstellar war, where creatures called Tygons flew fighters called Tygon Interceptors against some nameless foe. Robotech and GI Joe heavily influenced my scenarios, but the game had a sort of glorious aimlessness: my war had no cause that anyone knew, no end in sight. It was just Tygons vs... someone.

Then I grew out of Legos and into words: I wrote a story, which I thought of as a novel, longhand on college-ruled paper. When my family got a home computer, I continued the story of my interstellar war in the whining screech of a dot-matrix printer. And, in the end, I made a Story.

I think I was about thirteen or so.

That story ended up between the flimsy covers of a Trapper Keeper, where it presumably still lives... somewhere. I have no idea where it is. It fell victim to life's transitions, the moving trucks and change-of-address forms that framed my nineties. I know that if I found it and read it now, it would mortify me, but as I aged into Real Life the story slept. It had been told in Lego bricks and reams of my dad's printer paper; it was no longer a part of my life.

Until? Along came Lit's Geek Pride event, spearheaded by @PuckIt.

I wanted to write a workplace story of a computer nerd getting seduced by some sort of coworker, but PuckIt decreed that all entries needed to fit in Fantasy/SF as a category. So, having committed to the event, I grudgingly produced a story... with that old, glorious aimlessness. The war in that story had no cause that anyone knew, no end in sight. But it did have a character, spunky Fleet officer Pixy Pfeiffer, and a catchphrase I imagined an interstellar military might say, the way modern soldiers say BOHICA: "Dry. No lube."

Because that's how Fleet gives it to ya.

I set my story on an unglamorous ship named for a famous naval fuckup of cinema's sepia past, among listless sailors and their small problems as they tried, in their way, to fight some nameless enemy during some endless war. They fight, they sleep, they fuck, they cry (sometimes), and they overcome their fears to do amazing things when they must.

I buttoned up that story and posted it, expecting it to stand as a one-off that would help PuckIt get his event off the ground. It turned into much, much more. And the reason was because I'd finally found a character to fly my Lego Tygon Interceptors, the missing link that had made my dot-matrix scribbles so unreadable. Because Pixy intrigued me, I wrote more and more about her. Meanwhile, my series became as aimless, as unfinishable, as the war it chronicled. And, as Tolkien said, "the tale grew in the telling:" I produced appendices, treatises, a glossary. I developed side plots. I thought about creating a spinoff. It got to be too much, the voracious demands of my 2,000 or so readers haunting me with their expectations.

It had to end eventually. I tried. I transferred Pixy; she persevered. I killed off Pixy; she came back. And in the end I banished her someplace far away, but I gave her an ending amidst a universe with no other ending. It was the least I could do for her: she had spent some fourteen chapters among drifting, aimless story components as jumbled as the Legos in the bucket, and it was time to leave her fully assembled.

I'm glad I did. I'm proud of the story. People seem to like it. Thanks, PuckIt, wherever you are.

Dry, No Lube Ch 1

I got distracted somewhere in the third chapter, but I remember being struck by how well your setting captures the stupidity of modern war. Real navies do not have conventions about which officer runs the prostitution versus the gambling versus the drug-dealing, but I think every sailor would recognize the boredom, the mistakes, the petty crime, the foolishness that reigns supreme aboard the Pulver.

The FPF thing, though. Does that make any sense whatsoever or was it purely artistic license?

I got distracted somewhere in the third chapter, but I remember being struck by how well your setting captures the stupidity of modern war. Real navies do not have conventions about which officer runs the prostitution versus the gambling versus the drug-dealing, but I think every sailor would recognize the boredom, the mistakes, the petty crime, the foolishness that reigns supreme aboard the Pulver.

The FPF thing, though. Does that make any sense whatsoever or was it purely artistic license?

Nah. That's a real military concept, though WAAY jazzed up here. I needed a maelstrom of fire that Pixy could survive.

FPFs are planned artillery or mortar concentrations to be used in emergencies... on the ground. One of my guiding ideas was that military science would be changed by space travel, but it would happen organically and it would continue to use existing concepts.

I am very familiar with the concept of liking a character and being unable to end their story. Hopefully, I will find the resolve to end mine at some point. 🫤
Legos, eh? I can't say that I've seen that one coming. Usually, people get pulled into Fantasy or SF by reading/watching Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, comic books...
Legos. You are weird, man! :p

I am very familiar with the concept of liking a character and being unable to end their story. Hopefully, I will find the resolve to end mine at some point. 🫤
Legos, eh? I can't say that I've seen that one coming. Usually, people get pulled into Fantasy or SF by reading/watching Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, comic books...
Legos. You are weird, man! :p

Oh, I read LOTR too. I did so in the third grade, and several times thereafter. But I also enjoyed Dune!

I knew when it was time to end that story. I am cordially disdainful of stories that seem to limp on and on and on, until they crystallize and become merely different versions of themselves. I wanted mine to stay vibrant and fresh, and when that became a struggle? Time to end it.

I just got a PM asking about this, so I'll just add: yes. I'm a pantser. So writing a series was not going to be easy UNLESS IT WAS ENJOYABLE. I needed to find something in the character and the setting that I liked writing about, because I did not have an ending I was working toward until after I killed her off. And that happened after some nine chapters, with three to close it out and tie up some loose ends.

I'm a big fan. If this were published into a full, physical book or well-voiced audiobook I would 100% buy a copy.

I'm a big fan. If this were published into a full, physical book or well-voiced audiobook I would 100% buy a copy.

Thank you! It was fun to write.

I'm now trying to write a parallel series, set in the same universe (but otherwise unrelated to Dry, No Lube) and, sadly, I'm not yet all that happy with it. We'll see if anything ever gets posted!

Does the title of this thread refer to the kinds of critiques you expect?

Since everyone else is doing it...

When I was a boy, I played with Legos. Not the way kids do now, by buying a set and following the instructions; no, I just pawed through a bucket of a thousand loose Lego pieces, my fingers making a racket that set my father's teeth on edge, and let my hands build whatever my brain thought about. And it was the 1980s, so there were few curvy pieces and nothing ended up smooth. And I could never find the other piece of the hinge when I needed one.

I played a Lego game of interstellar war, where creatures called Tygons flew fighters called Tygon Interceptors against some nameless foe. Robotech and GI Joe heavily influenced my scenarios, but the game had a sort of glorious aimlessness: my war had no cause that anyone knew, no end in sight. It was just Tygons vs... someone.

Then I grew out of Legos and into words: I wrote a story, which I thought of as a novel, longhand on college-ruled paper. When my family got a home computer, I continued the story of my interstellar war in the whining screech of a dot-matrix printer. And, in the end, I made a Story.

I think I was about thirteen or so.

That story ended up between the flimsy covers of a Trapper Keeper, where it presumably still lives... somewhere. I have no idea where it is. It fell victim to life's transitions, the moving trucks and change-of-address forms that framed my nineties. I know that if I found it and read it now, it would mortify me, but as I aged into Real Life the story slept. It had been told in Lego bricks and reams of my dad's printer paper; it was no longer a part of my life.

Until? Along came Lit's Geek Pride event, spearheaded by @PuckIt.

I wanted to write a workplace story of a computer nerd getting seduced by some sort of coworker, but PuckIt decreed that all entries needed to fit in Fantasy/SF as a category. So, having committed to the event, I grudgingly produced a story... with that old, glorious aimlessness. The war in that story had no cause that anyone knew, no end in sight. But it did have a character, spunky Fleet officer Pixy Pfeiffer, and a catchphrase I imagined an interstellar military might say, the way modern soldiers say BOHICA: "Dry. No lube."

Because that's how Fleet gives it to ya.

I set my story on an unglamorous ship named for a famous naval fuckup of cinema's sepia past, among listless sailors and their small problems as they tried, in their way, to fight some nameless enemy during some endless war. They fight, they sleep, they fuck, they cry (sometimes), and they overcome their fears to do amazing things when they must.

I buttoned up that story and posted it, expecting it to stand as a one-off that would help PuckIt get his event off the ground. It turned into much, much more. And the reason was because I'd finally found a character to fly my Lego Tygon Interceptors, the missing link that had made my dot-matrix scribbles so unreadable. Because Pixy intrigued me, I wrote more and more about her. Meanwhile, my series became as aimless, as unfinishable, as the war it chronicled. And, as Tolkien said, "the tale grew in the telling:" I produced appendices, treatises, a glossary. I developed side plots. I thought about creating a spinoff. It got to be too much, the voracious demands of my 2,000 or so readers haunting me with their expectations.

It had to end eventually. I tried. I transferred Pixy; she persevered. I killed off Pixy; she came back. And in the end I banished her someplace far away, but I gave her an ending amidst a universe with no other ending. It was the least I could do for her: she had spent some fourteen chapters among drifting, aimless story components as jumbled as the Legos in the bucket, and it was time to leave her fully assembled.

I'm glad I did. I'm proud of the story. People seem to like it. Thanks, PuckIt, wherever you are.

Dry, No Lube Ch 1
Will try to read - am attempting to get through these. Though behind with beta reading, writing and work has been crazy recently.

Emily

Back