What do you hate in a story?

It's more of a "this is my opinion on what I don't enjoy reading" thread.
Quite right. And I'll even read stuff that otherwise makes my shitlist. I mentioned some layout / display problems, but a compelling storyline entices me to overlook those. I mentioned content issues but mostly it's the stereotypical application of such that puts me off. People can and do write all sorts of shit. It's up to me to decide whether I want to read it, not for the writer to tailor it for my tastes. Write what ya want, y'all.

No, it's not. It's a lot of not minding your own business and "do it my way." Let's get real.

It's just saying what we don't like. If someone asked me what type of food I hate, and I said, "Fuck sushi, it tastes like shit" this is an example of stating an opinion. I am not calling for Sushi to be taken of menus world wide. No one here is calling for the abolishment of anything they say they don't like. They are giving their opinion on what they think is shitty to read.

If people want to go on serving Sushi, cool. Many people might like it. But When asked, I have the freedom to say it tastes like shit.

Be it a particular kink, writing style, plot or certain elements like bra-size/cock-size, what is that thing which you absolutely hate reading in a story?

I don't expect an author to write just to please me, but if they don't, I have no interest in their story. Here's what causes me to bail:

Really bad grammar where I can't follow what is meant. If I can follow, I'm OK if the story grabs me.

"You walked into the room. She was there." I walk right back out of the room having never noticed her. Any variation of "you" POV, 2nd person or not.

Bulls, except the four-legged versions. Lit needs more. I did my part in one story.

Gun culture. Pull out a gun, shoot someone, I'm OK if it's in context. Tell me all the technical details of the gun and talk about red mist and life's too short to make time for the story.

Bikers. ZZZzzzzz

Fetish writing. Some of the BDSM I've skimmed reads like an Ikea manual. Most fetish writing has clear rules that makes it seem silly to me in print.

Bi-M/GM. Not something I want to see, hear about or experience. No problem with those who enjoy it. Some people can't comfortably look at a harmless spider.

Obvious wish fulfillment stories. Expanding on HandsinDark to include those where the protag is a successful young something-or-other, who climbs in his Range Rover Evoque, checks his vintage Rolex GMT-Master, etc. Everything rolls his way. He hires and fires and impresses all the girls.

"AAgggggghhhh....Argggggggghhhhh...oh god, oh god..." Check please.

I have a very complex filter to get through to finish a story. That's why I'm so liberal with my vote when I do.

(Insert sound of Charlie Brown's teacher here)

My biggest pet peeve is when reading incest, particularly sibling incest is having the parents, or other relative discover the relationship then the story turns into a big ol family orgy. For me the secrecy and chance of discovery is always the biggest thrill. I also have to agree with many others here that a complete unexplained 360 is jarring and takes me right out of a story. For example, the jilted husband who is all but packed and ready to leave the marital home then decides he'd rather watch from the closet and yank his pud.

No, it's not. It's a lot of not minding your own business and "do it my way." Let's get real.

Can you really be this obstinate? You're totally wrong here and that's pretty obvious.

"Hey, LC, you like Peanut butter?"

"No, I hate it."

That's all this thread is.

What it's not is:

"I hate fucking peanut butter and no one should ever eat it again! Everyone who eats peanut butter should rot in hell! boycott peanut Butter!"

See the difference? I'll go out on a limb and assume not.

BTW I do hate peanut butter if it makes its way onto someone's genitals I click off th story nauseated. :eek:

Crunchy peanut butter.....ewwwwwwwww!

Whassamatter, LC? Can't stand a little nut on the nuts? ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• main-qimg-a0b1bfc9812841ceeae49a9820d25423.gif
    main-qimg-a0b1bfc9812841ceeae49a9820d25423.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 0
BTW I do hate peanut butter if it makes its way onto someone's genitals I click off th story nauseated. :eek:

Where do you stand on Reeses? I knew a dude who hated mustard so bad he wouldn't eat in the vicinity of anyone eating mustard.

Peanut butter is excellent bait for trapping squirrels. Apart from that it is an affront to civilization.

Peanut butter is excellent bait for trapping squirrels. Apart from that it is an affront to civilization.

Well we all know from reading stories we shouldn't that women and men use peanut butter on thei, um, parts to get dogs to...:eek::eek:

In terms of style, I can handle mediocre to bad writing, but not lazy presentation. If you can't be bothered to proofread your work, I can't be bothered to read it.

Where do you stand on Reeses? I knew a dude who hated mustard so bad he wouldn't eat in the vicinity of anyone eating mustard.

Nothing Peanut butter flavored will I eat.

And I'm not allergic, I just won't eat it nor will I eat actual peanuts.

The closest I get to Peanuts is the Charlie Brown Specials.

In the 1950s the British terminology for peanut butter amused Helene Hanff.

Peanuts were called Ground Nuts.

Peanut Butter was made by grinding Peanuts into a paste, so we called it "Ground Ground Nuts".

However, the 1945 Labour Government preferred to forget their disastrous Ground Nut Scheme in Africa. They wasted millions on a scheme to grow Peanuts in an unsuitable climate.

They were very happy to adopt the terms Peanuts and Peanut Butter, hoping that people would forget Ground Nuts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanganyika_groundnut_scheme

Nothing Peanut butter flavored will I eat.

And I'm not allergic, I just won't eat it nor will I eat actual peanuts.

You are missing out.

Peanut Butter Omelet

Make a plain omelet any way you like (no fillings).
Before you fold it over, add a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
Sprinkle sharp cheddar cheese over that (optional)
Fold it over.
Serve

Oh my fucking god, it is the best. I've convinced chefs to make it for me (only Denny's chefs are adventurous enough so far...maybe they have nothing to lose).

Peanuts are used in may tropical cuisines, so it isn't as weird as it sounds.

rj

You are missing out.

Peanut Butter Omelet

Make a plain omelet any way you like (no fillings).
Before you fold it over, add a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
Sprinkle sharp cheddar cheese over that (optional)
Fold it over.
Serve

Oh my fucking god, it is the best. I've convinced chefs to make it for me (only Denny's chefs are adventurous enough so far...maybe they have nothing to lose).

Peanuts are used in may tropical cuisines, so it isn't as weird as it sounds.

rj

Yuck.

My wife makes Ricotta omelets. Those are slamming

Quick note on peanut butter:

Read the label. If it has more than two ingredients, pass it up. Peanut butter should have only one, peanuts, but sea salt is acceptable. Nothing else.

Yes, pilot, I am demanding that people eat peanut butter my way.

Another note:
A friend of mine worked at a high level at Proctor & Gamble in the late 70's. He was mostly involved with Jif "peanut butter". He commissioned a study to determine the demographics that preferred crunchy over smooth.

It split very clearly over class and education. In general, working class/less educated preferred one. White collar/college education preferred the other. I'll leave it to anyone who is interested to guess which preferred what.

rj

Most of my hates have been listed already.

A personal bugbear is headhopping, but I wouldn't call it a hate. It just knocks me out of a scene, and makes me disappointed that the writer either has used it on purpose (lack of skill) or hasn't spotted it (lack of editing).

It split very clearly over class and education. In general, working class/less educated preferred one. White collar/college education preferred the other. I'll leave it to anyone who is interested to guess which preferred what.

rj

I've always been a crunchy kinda gal. What does that say about me?:eek:

And here I thought nut mutilation was banable.

:D

I swear to God, I love the AH. It's like watching two dogs humping when eight squirrels run by trying to hijack a peanut butter truck

...causing it to wreck with a truck full of chickens

...and then a plot jackrabbit leaps by going the other direction in "low 2" (both ears back)

...and then the obligatory crusty old fart comes out with a water hose shouting "I said git off mah lawn!"

Most of my hates have been listed already.

A personal bugbear is headhopping, but I wouldn't call it a hate. It just knocks me out of a scene, and makes me disappointed that the writer either has used it on purpose (lack of skill) or hasn't spotted it (lack of editing).

Interesting. Is there a difference between changing POV's and head-hopping?

I find that third person gives exactly that kind of freedom. I found first person limiting because I was confined to one perspective (albeit more intimate) but third person lets me switch between the two main characters and sometimes I do have a preference. I always mark it with ~*~ . If readers have disliked my head hopping... they haven't let me know. :confused: I've also cautiously begun to use the change in POV to transition into a new scene without the ~*~, but I've yet to post the series to Lit.

I think the key is to not confuse and/or jar the reader, and changing POV's mid scene will do that, but I dunno, otherwise if I was going to stick to one POV, I would use first person and get the most out of it. :)

If I say what I don't like then I get blamed for trying to force everyone to my way of thinking. SO not gonna say any more on this topic.

Back