Wearing Ear Buds While Bicycling or Running is Stupid and Dangerous

trysail

Catch Me Who Can

WHAT is with these people ?

I do a lot of bicycling and running—
and I am both astounded and dumbfounded by the number of people who are out there running and riding around while wearing ear buds.

It's both stupid and dangerous.

It's dangerous because you can't hear the sound of approaching automobiles or the warning that another bicyclist issues when passing.

For those who aren't familiar with bicycling, you should be aware that in downhill stretches bicyclists may attain speeds well in excess of 20 mph. At that kind of speed, a collision with a walker or another bike could possibly result in fatalities and is likely to produce a visit to the ER.

I cannot fathom why anybody would wear ear buds whilst outdoors in the woods or the fields. It makes absolutely no sense. Half the point of being outdoors is to hear the sounds of the brook or the mockingbird's call or the cries of a red-tailed hawk or the rustling of leaves.

I'm with you on this and would add driving to your post, but for other reasons which are also safety concerns.

As to your list, I, too, don't understand being outside and masking the sounds of nature.

But it makes you look really cool...

;) ;)

... when you're playing your Pokemon app.

How many alts do you have Mr. Tree?

I am only saying hi to this one. I have a no alt policy! I browsed the thread with the guy deleting his account. He could just update his author page...

Who is Aj? Are you their alt or are they your alt? Sigh. Just stay rooted Mr. Tree :)

My original alt(s) were Andra_Jenny, so old-timers got to know me as A_J.

I've had a ton of alts. I gave them to Byron and he took them to the grave...

:RIP:

Other than a couple of comedy alts, Satan and Algore, I never use more than one at a time.

I am Lit's all-time prolific poster -----> since 1999.

My original alt(s) were Andra_Jenny, so old-timers got to know me as A_J.

I've had a ton of alts. I gave them to Byron and he took them to the grave...

:RIP:

Other than a couple of comedy alts, Satan and Algore, I never use more than one at a time.

I am Lit's all-time prolific poster -----> since 1999.

I don't know byron either and haven't seen your comedy alts. You used to pretend to be a girl? Andra seems like a girls name, but maybe you are Swedish :eek:

Good to know (not really since I will most likely forget).

How is the garden? So far I have managed to keep all of my roses alive and healthy. I even bought an orange rose bush this year! Still on the lookout for my perfect peach rose. (The one I killed doesn't count since it was never planted)

No, I started as an author and my stories were not so much about physical sex as they were about mental states, the protagonists were never expressly boy, or girl.

That went over a lot of people's heads and after several disturbing PMs and other forms of contact, I quickly deleted all stories and took on another name, one even idiots could fathom...,

:eek:

Or so I thought.

Mama always said, stupid is as stupid does.

On the nationality/heritage, German and Native American.

On the garden, everything went wrong except the banana peppers. Too much rain this year.

On the other hand, up in Princess Park, I transplanted some wild flowers from the garden; all of my garden tomatoes rotted, but one transplanted volunteer his high up on that dry hill and growing gangbusters with no supervision or care.

Go figure!

:D

No, I started as an author and my stories were not so much about physical sex as they were about mental states, the protagonists were never expressly boy, or girl.

That went over a lot of people's heads and after several disturbing PMs and other forms of contact, I quickly deleted all stories and took on another name, one even idiots could fathom...,

:eek:

Or so I thought.

Mama always said, stupid is as stupid does.

That's too bad you let people discourage you. I'm sure you are past that now.;)

I enjoy reading, if you ever want to send a story my way...

Enjoy your day Mr. Tree!

Many years ago, a car was towed in with dents in the hood, roof, and trunk lid. There was also a hole punched through the windshield on the passenger side.
And blood, lots of blood.

A man had been running while listening to his tunes and stepped off the curb without looking. His arm went through the windshield and was sheared off by the roof. The arm landed in the back seat and he landed in the street behind the car.

Uh no

I run with ear buds and I can still hear whats going on around me

Its not the earbuds that are the issue, its the people not paying attention.

Uh no

You know you only have to run half as far as everyone else, right?

But if you run as far as everyone else you've run twice as far.

Uh no

The earbuds often help the individual not pay attention. Another factor is the volume.

I can understand if you are running on a trail with no vehicular traffic, cars or cycles, wearing earbuds. But cycling, on the street or on a trail with them is crazy.

You know you only have to run half as far as everyone else, right?

But if you run as far as everyone else you've run twice as far.

one day there will be tall pills and you will be sorry to make fun of my height

The earbuds often help the individual not pay attention. Another factor is the volume.

I can understand if you are running on a trail with no vehicular traffic, cars or cycles, wearing earbuds. But cycling, on the street or on a trail with them is crazy.

I cant see not paying attention to whats around you. I run in the early morning (so early I wear the light bands) and there are a lot of creepy people out there.

You have to pay attention.

We walk in the woods for the peace and quiet. We also like to hear the sounds of critters.
When we lived in Florida, recently moved, there was a long bike trail and many wooded riding trails. We still enjoyed the sounds of nature or the quiet of being deep in the woods.
We've spent much of our lives on beaches. There we love to hear the sounds of the waves and the critters. Even listening to cute young girls giggling in bikinis is far better than music or what is now called music.
I have several different cars, old and new. I rarely turn on the radio and do not have a GPS. The sounds of glaspacks with dual exhaust and carburators sucking air and fuel as I pass Prius' is music to my ears. The music of a four speeed going thru the gears and the squeal of tires on pavement is also music that makes me smile.
In 60+ years of driving I've gotten lost very few times and most of those we enjoyed where we ended up.
The world is full of music. Stop and listen.
PS. More bicyclists are injured around Gainseville, Fl than car drivers. They mostly have earbuds and ignore the rules of the road.

By the way, this is a duplicate thread.

Last edited:

It all depends what you're sharing the woods with.

and I am both astounded and dumbfounded by the number of people who are out there running and riding around while wearing ear buds.

It's dangerous because you can't hear the sound of approaching automobiles or the warning that another bicyclist issues when passing.

For those who aren't familiar with bicycling, you should be aware that in downhill stretches bicyclists may attain speeds well in excess of 20 mph. At that kind of speed, a collision with a walker or another bike could possibly result in fatalities and is likely to produce a visit to the ER.

I cannot fathom why anybody would wear ear buds whilst outdoors in the woods or the fields. It makes absolutely no sense. Half the point of being outdoors is to hear the sounds of the brook or the mockingbird's call or the cries of a red-tailed hawk or the rustling of leaves.

i always run with ear buds, and have biked thru the city streets countless times whilst listening to music, and never came close to having an accident.
its called being aware of ones surroundings .

if you can't handle it, don't try it.

one day there will be tall pills and you will be sorry to make fun of my height

I cant see not paying attention to whats around you. I run in the early morning (so early I wear the light bands) and there are a lot of creepy people out there.

You have to pay attention.

I agree with you 100% on the need to pay attention.

Even more so if you are running alone early in the AM or late in the PM. Unfortunately at least once a quarter (that makes the evening news, probably more that doesn't) a woman is assaulted running alone on a trail around here. One common factors has been them wearing headphones. Not saying it would not have happened in they were not, but it may have given them a second or two more time to react and possibly get away if they heard the attacker coming.

i always run with ear buds, and have biked thru the city streets countless times whilst listening to music, and never came close to having an accident.
its called being aware of ones surroundings .

if you can't handle it, don't try it.

Stay safe cycling through the city, I hope you live in a cycle friendly place.

My cycling club has 3 rules for our group rides 1. Must have a helmet. 2. No one gets dropped. 3. No headphones.

It all depends what you're sharing the woods with.

Agreed. I was using the term "trail" to include paved, city paths as well. But I understand your point, I've seen a couple of bears while I was cycling on Skyline Drive. They were not interested in me at the time but I was glad I was on my bike and not out running. :)

I'll run with my earbuds in if I'm not on a city sidewalk or street - otherwise it's just a little too risky. Pedestrian v. Car always ends badly for the pedestrian.

I had a very amusing thing with a bike rider one day. I was driving home from the office and stopped at a red light. I was just sitting there minding my own business when a guy on a racing bike (wearing headphones, definitely into his zone) whipped off the cross street and tried to cut the corner tightly, bouncing off my front bumper and crashing into the street. Scared the heck out of me. The light changed and I pulled off the road and got out to check on him but a city cop was already there.

Seems the cop was perched just out of sight waiting for someone to run the red light and saw the whole thing. The bicyclists reward? A wrecked bike, road rash, a ticket, and the bill for my insurance deductible.

What?

Back