Thoughts on Non-Happy Endings?

SueDNimm

Virgin
I recently posted Medusa's Proposal, the third story in a series I've put up. Its first comment expressed dismay at how I ended it, and I found this feedback interesting.

If you're interested, here are the first and second stories.

A lot of the stories on this website seem to end on very positive notes. Given that good sexual experiences have happy endings almost by definition, this seems fitting. Even a lot of the unrealistically happy endings I often read here don't bother me; erotic literature is the stuff of fantasy, after all. I just prefer to make happy endings feel earned when I write.

If an unambiguously happy ending doesn't feel right to me, I prefer an ending with ambiguity, bittersweet emotions, surprise, or something other than that feeling of completeness. The feedback I've gotten about this in the comments has been mixed, and I thought it might be interesting to open up a discussion on preferred approaches to ending stories and series.

What do you think?

I always say a good ending is better than a happy ending - although, dark and twisted endings can be distressing if unanticipated.

The ending to Gallico's Poseidon Adventure upset me so much I never dared read him again. The ending to Harris's Hannibal made me throw the book across the room - although I thought about it for a long time, re-read it, and realised it was absolutely perfect, just so contrary to expectations.

Write what you believe is best. My A Night at the Theatre, I wanted my main character to deny the trope of total submission, so she steps out of the car ti embark on a new adventure. It's a mixed reaction from readers, but important to me.

I don't mind an ending that isn't happy, as long as it's hopeful. Several of my more character-heavy stories don't end with the POV character getting what they want - or in one case even being alive - but there's always at least a hint of optimism, something to cling on to.

Personally, I don't read stuff on this site for gritty realism! I don't mind unhappy endings per se (Game of Thrones springs to mind a series I enjoyed that had plenty of miserable outcomes) but I don't visit literotica for those.

That said, I agree that a good ending is what is important - forcing a happy one onto a tale as a bolt on when the narrative clearly doesn't deserve/require one is just silly.

Personally, I prefer happy endings but positively abhor RAAC stories.

There are many settings that demand darker plots, and I can't enjoy stories, of any kind, if they don't make sense. So, if a darker, unhappy ending is what's needed, that's what I want to see.

I always say a good ending is better than a happy ending - although, dark and twisted endings can be distressing if unanticipated.
Well said. The writer's will and the story itself are best when thoughtfully asserted, and reader expectations are inevitably difficult to gauge.

I think it is generally true that most readers, in most genres, like to finish their read with a pleasant (or at least hopeful) feeling.

I did get this one reaction to one story, but it had to be told the way it was.

"Wow that ending was super sad. Realities of war for sure, but still caught me off guard. Damn."

I think the ending should match the story, and I think that it's good to have a variety of stories, so I think it's fine if some of them don't end in a happy ending.

In some of my stories the protagonist moves into something more demanding than experienced before, is given a chance to back away from it, but then embraces it. It's often something that doesn't lead to a happy ending. But it's realistic, I think.

I think it can vary by category. I'm much more likely to expect a happy ending in the Romance category, for example.

I wouldn't expect that in every category, especially not Sci-Fi Fantasy. And if I were reading something inspired by Greek myth (like yours), a happy ending necessarily wouldn't be expected, either. Lots of those myths end in outright tragedy so something taking inspiration from that mythology wouldn't give me the expectation of a cozy, happily ever after situation.

I don't particularly enjoy them but they don't offend me so long as they at least make sense. Yes. It's fiction and authors get to tell the story they want, but I still believe realism and verisimilitude should always be the goal.

It doesn't matter if the bad guy wins or the good guy wins. In the end, all the jigsaw pieces must fit the puzzle regardless of the imagery it portrays.

I recently posted Medusa's Proposal, the third story in a series I've put up. Its first comment expressed dismay at how I ended it, and I found this feedback interesting.

If you're interested, here are the first and second stories.

A lot of the stories on this website seem to end on very positive notes. Given that good sexual experiences have happy endings almost by definition, this seems fitting. Even a lot of the unrealistically happy endings I often read here don't bother me; erotic literature is the stuff of fantasy, after all. I just prefer to make happy endings feel earned when I write.

If an unambiguously happy ending doesn't feel right to me, I prefer an ending with ambiguity, bittersweet emotions, surprise, or something other than that feeling of completeness. The feedback I've gotten about this in the comments has been mixed, and I thought it might be interesting to open up a discussion on preferred approaches to ending stories and series.

What do you think?
I'm a big incest guy who has a fairly negative view of incest in real life. I've always wanted to write a story where two people enter into an incestuous relationship and it completely ruins their lives. They hate each other by the end but the sexual chemistry between them is so intense and powerful they can't stop fucking each other, even though their familial relationship has been totally corrupted and destroyed.

However, most incest fans love the idea of romance and happy endings, so they would probably hate my story if I ever got round to writing it.

I'm a big incest guy who has a fairly negative view of incest in real life. I've always wanted to write a story where two people enter into an incestuous relationship and it completely ruins their lives. They hate each other by the end but the sexual chemistry between them is so intense and powerful they can't stop fucking each other, even though their familial relationship has been totally corrupted and destroyed.

However, most incest fans love the idea of romance and happy endings, so they would probably hate my story if I ever got round to writing it.

Try this very short one:

https://literotica.com/s/hope-35

Back