THE NEW CHYOO (with link)! Also, what features should be part of an updated CHYOO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the old links be automatically put back or will I have to do them again manually? (i.e. should I get started fixing the links myself?)

We'll do it at some point. But if you want to speed up the process, or want to help out, we'd appreciate it.

There is no user interface at the moment. But you can link to another thread using the following syntax. Just type "#LINKTO {THREAD ID}" into the text field and the user will be redirected to the specified thread (for example, "#LINKTO 39493"). You can look up the thread id under "Manage stories". I hope this helps for now.

Ah, praise be. I can fix my story.

I'd just like to say that I love the new site. It looks great and is easy to access.

I've only had one issue so far: Over the past few days I, well, went a little overboard posting stuff to the Shadow Hunters story. It all got approved, but when I look at the story map only the first threads show up and not the continuing threads. When I look at them, the options are there, they just don't show up on the story map itself.

I have the same problem with story "To establish domain of his own". I approved about five threads, one after the other, but only first showed.

EDIT: It seems that it's fixed.

Last edited:
There are tons of stories with threads that aren't showing up, Shadow Hunter being one of them, Knocked Up Notions is another I I just noticed as well (as well as several others I can't recall the names of).

It seems to be a very inconsistent issue, but one that appears to be plaguing a LOT of the stories on the new site. It makes it really hard to tell what's been updated and what hasn't, making it even harder to follow favorite stories.

There are tons of stories with threads that aren't showing up, Shadow Hunter being one of them, Knocked Up Notions is another I I just noticed as well (as well as several others I can't recall the names of).

I'll look at it this weekend and get back to you.

So I've been having a thread posted to one of my stories, which I rejected because the writing is sub par and gives no advancement to the plot. The exact same thread (and I do mean EXACT. Not so much as a new comma) is resubmitted mere hours later. This has been going on for about a month, and it really gets me down to log in expecting to find new content only to find the same crap again and again.

So I guess what I'm wondering is if we can block users or content automatically, or if I just have to keep purging it manually?

I'm with Alexisrhodes13; I would also like to know if the harassing troll can be properly banished on the new system.

I also like the new system where pending/rejected-but-resubmitted threads are not visible to the general public, as that will hopefully diminish the incentive for nuisance threads from the undesirable. Not eliminate, but diminish.

Finally, are the feedback comments aggregated somewhere? I am much more likely to notice them, and to leave some of my own for others, if there was any expectation they could be efficiently located.

Last edited:
My participation will be limited unless at least some of the stories I had adopted get transferred to me. These stories are abandoned by their original authors. These are also some of my favorite stories,

I second this. Torg's efforts kept original chyoo running well for all users, especially in keeping stories from lost authors alive. Will those who have been editors of abandoned stories be restored to that role?

I second this. Torg's efforts kept original chyoo running well for all users, especially in keeping stories from lost authors alive. Will those who have been editors of abandoned stories be restored to that role?

Yes, I will add this feature in addition to the banishing system. I was very busy at work the last weeks but I will have more time now. Torg and the other moderators will then have the ability to actively engage in these stories.

Just 2 things:

- I noticed in the last days (since the 12-13th of June) the threads "views count" (under the "my threads" tab) didn't get updated. Maybe it's nothing but I may as well report it.
- Pls if possible add (in the story map page) a button to "mark all threads as read" or similar. What happens now is that we have a lot of stories from the old chyoo all "green", and if something gets updated we have to look for the date (as the color remains green).

thx...can't wait for the new updates :)

Question: How do I remove a deleted story from my Bookmarks?

Details: In my book marks I have the story "Year of Glory" by GreenBanana. However opening https://chyoa.com/story/year-of-glory/map results in a 404 error message. Since the story no longer exists I'd like to remove it from my Bookmarks, but I can't see any way to do that.

Is there anyway to check comments without having to find which thread in the story the comment was left on?

Just 2 things:

- I noticed in the last days (since the 12-13th of June) the threads "views count" (under the "my threads" tab) didn't get updated. Maybe it's nothing but I may as well report it.
- Pls if possible add (in the story map page) a button to "mark all threads as read" or similar. What happens now is that we have a lot of stories from the old chyoo all "green", and if something gets updated we have to look for the date (as the color remains green).

thx...can't wait for the new updates :)

I've noticed the first thing with "views count" not seeming to update as well. Or maybe no one is reading my new thread. Which is entirely possible.

I'd also like to give an emphatic second to the request for a "mark all threads as read" option.

And thanks again for working so hard on this site. It's awesome as it is, but it's so hard to resist the temptation to ask for tweaks since you've been so accommodating, and you're so committed to making this an even better website.

I had a couple threads like this but they seemingly fixed one... maybe the author mentioned it specifically to Friedman.

I also noticed that the only threads that this happened too are ones where I submitted multiple posts one after another.

When they were approved but only the first post showed up in the story map. I noticed that another author waited a whole day before approving each subsequent thread I submitted. There was a spelling error in a character named but I fixed it. So maybe the author figured out that was the way to avoid the glitch in the coding.?.

It seems to be a very inconsistent issue, but one that appears to be plaguing a LOT of the stories on the new site. It makes it really hard to tell what's been updated and what hasn't, making it even harder to follow favorite stories.
I believe simply banishing the ISP Address from the story is enough.

I have a couple threads that have been in perpetual 'pending' status because the author has yet to move from chyoo to chyoa.

Speaking of which, atm chyoa is having a 'Not Found' error:
"The requested site www.chyoa.com is not presently available on this web cluster. This may be a temporary issue, so please try again in a few moments.

As an observation, posts that have a new "comment" are highlighted blue in the storymap.
I also like the new system where pending/rejected-but-resubmitted threads are not visible to the general public, as that will hopefully diminish the incentive for nuisance threads from the undesirable. Not eliminate, but diminish.

Finally, are the feedback comments aggregated somewhere? I am much more likely to notice them, and to leave some of my own for others, if there was any expectation they could be efficiently located.
I know I have read them. :) As another has said, the view counts and votes seem to be collected and displayed once every week... maybe a little less.

I am unsure what keeps Friedman from make it continuously updated; However, I suspect it has something to do with the idea involving more time and coding. If that were the case, there may be higher priority items he wants to accomplish first.
I've noticed the first thing with "views count" not seeming to update as well. Or maybe no one is reading my new thread. Which is entirely possible.
Incase this means something to Friedman I reiterate that, atm www.chyoa.com is having a 'Not Found' error. I quoted the exact words above.

Thank you for sharing your time. May the Force be with you.

Last edited:
I would find it a big improvement if there was a column on the My Threads page for Comments. Clicking on each page that has a rating to see if there are also comments is tedious.

Hi-hi, just popping in to see if the cause of that whole "some new story threads not showing up in the Story Maps" issue was discovered.

I'm noticing it again with Shadow Hunters. My bookmark notifications indicate that the story was updated most recently on June 25th, but when browsing the Story Map the most recent date visible on list of threads is June 24th, indicating that there is at least one other new thread than what is currently listed that isn't showing up.

Text-editing question for the new CHYOO

Line breaks.

How do I do them?? In CHYOO2 I could just hit enter and it's basically WYSIWYG, but in CHYOA, when I type in the text box, I want to put something like this:

THE COW
JUMPED OVER
THE MOON

but when I post the story, it comes out like this:

THE COW JUMPED OVER THE MOON

Does anyone know what kinda technical magic I need to get what I want (i.e. programming language)?

(I'm sorry if I haven't done enough research into this, but it's difficult for me to tunnel through 20 pages of stickies....)

Hi-hi, just popping in to see if the cause of that whole "some new story threads not showing up in the Story Maps" issue was discovered.

I'm noticing it again with Shadow Hunters. My bookmark notifications indicate that the story was updated most recently on June 25th, but when browsing the Story Map the most recent date visible on list of threads is June 24th, indicating that there is at least one other new thread than what is currently listed that isn't showing up.

There are two reasons why the date differs from the listed threads in the story map. The first and main reason is a wrong approval order. This means that the bug occurs every time if more than one thread is waiting for approval and the threads are approved in a different order than the chronological. Even if you approve "all at once", some thread comes first and this is probably not the next one in the thread order.
Here is an example: Thread A, B, C. B and C is pending. If you approve B and then C, everything is fine. But if you approve C first and then B, the map algorithm can't connect the threads.
This is a result of the new possibility to add threads to unapproved threads. I have to change the approval process to get this right.

The second reason, and this is your case, is an updated date for the story if there is no new thread. This occurred when the creator edited information about the story itself. I've changed this now.

---

Edit: There was a downtime for 15 minutes an hour ago and it seems as if the latest threads are missing. I'm currently investigating this issue.
Edit 2: Data recovery should be possible. I'm currently talking to the responsible hosting provider.
Edit 3: All affected threads are reintegrated now. If you still miss something, let me know.

Last edited:
New bug

I'm noticing the summary pages have another issue. If you go to the Slut World summary page (https://chyoa.com/story/slut-world/map) and search for '10.1. On a 10+, they do it willingly, take +1 forward.', it looks like that thread has 5 children, but if you click the link to that thread, you'll see there are only two links at the bottom of the page.

Randomize?

Is it possible to have a feature to randomize the options?

I mean, some stories are based on playing cards, or rolling the dice, or rock-paper-scissors... and it would be fun if some element of uncertainty was introduced.

Is it possible to have a feature to randomize the options?

I mean, some stories are based on playing cards, or rolling the dice, or rock-paper-scissors... and it would be fun if some element of uncertainty was introduced.
lol, you made me remember the "lone wolf" books of my youth.
Who read them (and other series too) here? :)

Whoa, I'm coming late to the party here - only just spotted the new CHYOO. Who do I have to thank for this? Excellent work. Thanks very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back