The Nerd Herd: General Board Edition

satindesire

Queen of Geeks
attachment.php

Cosplay, gaming, science and math, astronomy and physics, and general geekiness is my life!

And cats. I really like them too.

What games are you playing? Did you go to Comic-Con? What's the latest documentary you watched? Let your nerd flag fly in The Nerd Herd: General Board edition!

Sometimes I get bored I go on the internet and search up different topics like "The Crimean War", "Distant galaxies", or "The Mind of Serial Killers". I'm weird like that.

attachment.php

I've been playing World of Warcraft since the game was released 10 years ago. I'm really excited to see where they're taking it in the new expac!

Attachments

• world_of_warcraft_tribute___king_arthas_menethil_by_pulyx-d2pidjl.jpg
    world_of_warcraft_tribute___king_arthas_menethil_by_pulyx-d2pidjl.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 200
Sometimes I get bored I go on the internet and search up different topics like "The Crimean War", "Distant galaxies", or "The Mind of Serial Killers". I'm weird like that.

If you like to get on Wikipedia and read for hours (like me!) I can give you links to some of the most interesting wikis -ever-!

Memory Alpha is one of the best I've seen yet. It's the Star Trek wiki, and the caretakers are fabulous! The articles are super accurate, well-written, interesting and always end up leading you to more and more articles. My husband always ends up poking fun at me for knowing so much about Star Trek whenever it comes up. :D Great for trivia fans too!

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Has anyone watched the new season of Cosmos on Netflix?

"Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is a 2014 American science documentary television series. The show is a follow-up to the 1980 television series Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, which was presented by Carl Sagan on the Public Broadcasting Service and is considered a milestone for scientific documentaries. This series was developed to bring back the foundation of science to network television at the height of other scientific-based television series and films. The show is presented by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, who, as a young college student, was inspired by Sagan. Among the executive producers are Seth MacFarlane, whose clout and financial investment were instrumental in bringing the show to broadcast television, and Ann Druyan, Sagan's widow and a co-creator of the original series. The series loosely follows the same thirteen-episode format and storytelling approach that the original Cosmos used, including elements such as the "Ship of the Imagination" and the "Cosmic Calendar", but features information updated since the 1980 series along with extensive computer-generated graphics and animation footage augmenting the narration. The show is produced by Brannon Braga, and Alan Silvestri provides the backing score.

The series premiered on March 9, 2014, simultaneously in the US across ten 21st Century Fox networks. The remainder of the series aired on the Fox Network, with the National Geographic Channel rebroadcasting the episodes the next night with extra content. The series has been rebroadcast internationally in dozens of other countries by local National Geographic and Fox stations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Spacetime_Odyssey

Neil deGrasse Tyson is one of my favorite people in the entire world and his passion for the subject is PALPABLE!

Has anyone watched the new season of Cosmos on Netflix?

"Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is a 2014 American science documentary television series. The show is a follow-up to the 1980 television series Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, which was presented by Carl Sagan on the Public Broadcasting Service and is considered a milestone for scientific documentaries. This series was developed to bring back the foundation of science to network television at the height of other scientific-based television series and films. The show is presented by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, who, as a young college student, was inspired by Sagan. Among the executive producers are Seth MacFarlane, whose clout and financial investment were instrumental in bringing the show to broadcast television, and Ann Druyan, Sagan's widow and a co-creator of the original series. The series loosely follows the same thirteen-episode format and storytelling approach that the original Cosmos used, including elements such as the "Ship of the Imagination" and the "Cosmic Calendar", but features information updated since the 1980 series along with extensive computer-generated graphics and animation footage augmenting the narration. The show is produced by Brannon Braga, and Alan Silvestri provides the backing score.

The series premiered on March 9, 2014, simultaneously in the US across ten 21st Century Fox networks. The remainder of the series aired on the Fox Network, with the National Geographic Channel rebroadcasting the episodes the next night with extra content. The series has been rebroadcast internationally in dozens of other countries by local National Geographic and Fox stations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Spacetime_Odyssey

Neil deGrasse Tyson is one of my favorite people in the entire world and his passion for the subject is PALPABLE!

I watched it on tv. I'm old enough to watch Carl Sagan's Cosmos.

What games are you playing? Did you go to Comic-Con? What's the latest documentary you watched? Let your nerd flag fly in The Nerd Herd: General Board edition!

Currently playing Wildstar, waiting patiently for WoW to drop the new content. Had a great time playing Dishonored and Skyrim in the past few months, as well. Last doco was Video Games: The Movie, about a month ago. Making tentative plans to fly across the ocean next year for SDCC, but will have to find a second job to finance that trip :)

I love watching documented History events, like the 'World Wars' series on the H-TV.

I religiously watched all the 4 episodes and loved it. The actors impersonating Churchill, Stalin and Hitler were awesome. The scenes were highly dramatised and the music beautifully modern.

I wish they could make more documentaries like those.

He's got a pretty sweet podcast, if you missed it.

NICE! Thank you!

Currently playing Wildstar, waiting patiently for WoW to drop the new content. Had a great time playing Dishonored and Skyrim in the past few months, as well. Last doco was Video Games: The Movie, about a month ago. Making tentative plans to fly across the ocean next year for SDCC, but will have to find a second job to finance that trip :)

I hear ya on that one.

I love watching documented History events, like the 'World Wars' series on the H-TV.

I religiously watched all the 4 episodes and loved it. The actors impersonating Churchill, Stalin and Hitler were awesome. The scenes were highly dramatised and the music beautifully modern.

I wish they could make more documentaries like those.

Oh yeah! I saw the Churchill one, it was amazing! I agree, the actor/lookalikes are really great. I hope more docu's take a queue from this so that docu-fans can get more high quality material.

Documentaries can be really dry!

Last edited:
Yeah, this was the centenary year of WW1 and many channels were pelting out historical documentaries. Only that one caught my eye.

Aaaand talking about documentaries related to Astronomy, I love watching like A space time oddeyssey and another one hosted by Stephen Hawkings (I don't remember the name).

I love the simple fact that the universe is simply too vast for us to comprehend.

Too. Friggin'. Vast.

I love star gazing and love to think about everything out there. An amazing thing about Cosmos: A Space Time Odd. is the simplistic narratory of scientific concepts and the brilliant special effects.

I see the fucked up fairies have visited you. Ignore them.

Last edited:
Yeah, this was the centenary year of WW1 and many channels were pelting out historical documentaries. Only that one caught my eye.

Aaaand talking about documentaries related to Astronomy, I love watching like A space time oddeyssey and another one hosted by Stephen Hawkings (I don't remember the name).

I love the simple fact that the universe is simply too vast for us to comprehend.

Too. Friggin'. Vast.

I love star gazing and love to think about everything out there. An amazing thing about Cosmos: A Space Time Odd. is the simplistic narratory of scientific concepts and the brilliant special effects.

I see the fucked up fairies have visited you. Ignore them.

I really like "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman" as well. Really interesting and even though my kids are still really little, they like it too.

Oh, and I'm way ahead of you on that one. :D

If you like to get on Wikipedia and read for hours (like me!) I can give you links to some of the most interesting wikis -ever-!

Memory Alpha is one of the best I've seen yet. It's the Star Trek wiki, and the caretakers are fabulous! The articles are super accurate, well-written, interesting and always end up leading you to more and more articles. My husband always ends up poking fun at me for knowing so much about Star Trek whenever it comes up. :D Great for trivia fans too!

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Nice, I will check it out! My mind just wanders! My boyfriend and I were talking, wondering is there any life out there in a distant galaxy we just haven't reached because we were so far away, light years away. A planet that is just like earth filled with intelligent beings. The possibilities are endless, it makes my brain hurt!

Nice, I will check it out! My mind just wanders! My boyfriend and I were talking, wondering is there any life out there in a distant galaxy we just haven't reached because we were so far away, light years away. A planet that is just like earth filled with intelligent beings. The possibilities are endless, it makes my brain hurt!

I think there IS life out there....but...I'm starting to think that if they're paying attention to us at all, they probably won't talk to us until the human race gets it's shit together and stops being such bigoted, violent murder machines. :(

Anyone watch Brain Games hosted by Jason Silva?

GAH! That show is so damn good! I DVR'ed every episode, they're AMAZING! I especially liked the optical illusions one, really trippy.

Back