The Crossover (closed for such_a_bad_man)

Vixen happily followed Jack back to his room. She enjoyed the kiss before he had led her away as well, relishing the easy skin to skin contact. She waited until he was settled and comfortable before she joined him in bed as well, but then curled against his side.

"Shades that are not just shades?" She repeated, looking impressed for a moment before she shrugged. She turned to him, "I don't mind if we watch something or not, I'm happy here with you," she explained, running her fingers gently over his thighs as she rested her head against his shoulder. In all honestly it had been a very long time since she had a chance to turn on her television; between school and the fighting crime she never had the time.

Jack smiled and kissed her forehead, forgetting all about the outside world for a moment. He wouldn't mind spending a few days locked up here with his new lover, but Jack was a man that had to tackle his challenges and he knew he couldn't leave the world to its devices for that long. Reaching to the side of the bed, he pulled open a drawer in the pedestal and pulled out a remote. It looked about the size of a smartphone, but when he pressed the screen, the shades rolled into place again.

This time, they seemed to shimmer like fish scales and soon enough, they shone like a projection screen but there was no projector in the room. Soon, a series of windows opened with video playing in each of them. There was no sound, but Jack scanned from one to the next before furrowing his brow and bringing up a particular screen. It was an international news broadcast and with a few gestures in the air, he filled their view with that shot of an anchor reporting on some event that Scarlett couldn't understand at first, but soon subtitles showed up under the display that didn't seem to be included in the broadcast.

"...attack this morning. The site is being called a complete loss. We go now to Rene Condeau for reports from the site."

The scene shifted to a field piece where the reporter went on to describe an attack on a construction site for the first Infinium Reactor in Eastern Europe. Jack sat up, his chin resting on his thumbs as he leaned into his hands supported on his knees. He watched unblinking as he saw the metallic wreckage of the construction site in flames. The reporter continued to camera.

"This was the first attempt to build such a facility outside the 1st world by Jack Dunbar and his subsidiaries. This is a particular blow as the first chamber was online and ready to begin spinning up production." Jack paused the video and wound it back, replaying that line over and over.

He lay back and sighed. Speaking to the ceiling, he sounded angry. "The first Infinium shipment would have been on site... They have it now... I think last night made our friends bolder, but how did they get overseas so fast...." he muttered to himself. "Unless, it's bigger than just those 4...."

Scarlett could see him retreating into his own brain and a mind like Jack's in that state would be burning overtime.

Scarlett sat up a little as the news article played on, her hand reaching out to settle on Jack's shoulder gently. She felt her gut clench at the news, at what the lost Infinium would mean, but also for what it was clearly doing to him.

"Hey," Scarlett said, voice gentle. "We will sort this out, I promise," she told him. She gently pulled back on his shoulder before cupping his cheek and leaning in to kiss him, just wanting to pull him from the spiral she could see him falling into.

Last edited:
Scarlett's lips were so soft and welcoming. They also helped to snap Jack out of his mental gymnastics as he wrestled with trying to figure out what he could do now. He turned to her, leaning in closer as they both lay back down. He caressed her body and kissed her over and over, reminding himself that there was still something good that came out of this. He lened onto his good side and smiled down at her.

"Thanks... I get lost in thought pretty easily; I hope that's something you can get used to..." He said, reaching up and lightly touching her face. "I should at least take advantage of this time off as I heal though..." He said, gesturing to his side. "We may be offered a respite as our adversaries work on the next stage of their work. Not much we can do with the data we have now until they show themselves again..." He said, sounding a little disappointed.

Vixen couldn't help but let out a little moan as they settled back down on the bed, as Jack's fingers trailed delicate blazing paths over her skin. When he pulled back she smiled at him softly.

"I guess the downside of a brilliant mind is that it can be hard to switch off," she said with a slight nod. She then thought about what he had said about their enemies. she put her hand on his torso, her thumbs brushing over the very edge of his bandage gently.

"You may need some time off to recover, but it doesn't mean things will stall. I can still head back out. See what I can find out there to keep you busy."

Jack lay his hand over hers as she rubbed his side. "Please stay..."

Just two simple words and the look in his eyes showed a side of Jack that no one ever saw: Jack with insecurities. Then, it all made sense: the house high above the city, coming and going in secret, nothing but his work, no pets... Jack was a hermit. Whether it was self-imposed or a result of the choices of his life, Jack lived, worked, slept, ate, toiled, coped, and healed alone.

Alone. Always alone.

His lip quivered as he looked at Scarlett and cupped her cheek gently, his eyes welling up though it wasn't clear why.

That emotion in Jack's eyes... It made Vixen's breath catch in her throat painfully. She may be constantly surrounded by people in her day to day life, but she knew what it was to be lonely. To be alone.

And after last night?

Well, she didn't want to be alone any more. And she didn't think Jack did either.

"Oh, I called in sick today Mr. Dunbar," she said with a mischevious smile,pecking him on the lips. "I plan on spending the whole day in bed with you."

Vixen's hand drifted lower over his stomach, fingers trailing around in exploratory circles.

"Now, I will admit that I have never really be one for movies or TV. Why don't you show me what I've been missing?" She suggested, siddling closer to him.

Jack smiled a glad smile and rolled to lay back in his bed as Scarlett sidled in closer. It felt so good to hold someone in his arms again. His body was remembering what this felt like; the life of a superhero philanthropist didn't leave much time for this sort of thing. Her soft skin on his felt welcoming as he flicked through some entertainment feeds.

Then, his stomach gurgled. "Oh right... Uh, how about some breakfast in bed then?" He suggested sheepishly. Jack ate a lot of food during the day as he burned through calories quickly given his schedule. And after last night and this morning, his body was looking to refill the tank.

"Jeeves? Activate the Chef..." He said, sinking a little lower. At his words, sounds could be heard in the kitchen downstairs. "Just a little something I built for cases like this. It chews up power so I don't use it often..." He started to explain.

Vixen chuckled when Jack's stomach gurgled. She hadn't even thought of food, but when he mentioned it... She sat up a little as she heard rustling and banging downstairs. So, he even had an automated chef? Wow.

"You know Jack, if you keep spoiling me like this I may just never leave," she warned, wiggling a little as she settled into the bed again.

"So you realize the plan behind all this after all?" He teased, hugging her closer. The pair just lay there for a few minutes before a louder noise could be heard in the hall. It was similar to the noise Orbus made while flying, but deeper and louder. Looking at the door, a wider hovering robot hovered into view, making the turn into the bedroom before sliding over to the side of the bed before resting on the floor and deactivating.

"Breakfast?" He offered, gesturing to the cart with covered plates on top.

Vixen groaned as the robot offered the plates. She put a hand on Jack's shoulder to stop him from reaching over and straining himself, Abd she took the tray of plates instead.

"Thanks Chef," she said. The robot then scurried off as the two set about eating. Vixen groaned again as she tasted the hot, fresh breakfast. "Wow... This is amazing."

Jack sat up, loving that the tray could be used as a small table on his huge bed. He could recline on one side and eat heartily as his body recharged. He smiled as Scarlett let him know how nice this all was, leaning in a little and saying "So when do you wanna move in?" He chuckled, spearing some fresh fruit on his plate and enjoying it.

As he looked at Scarlett, Jack was already putting an idea he had from last night to work in his mind. He had an eye for mechanical design and he watched Scarlett move her body so gracefully and purposefully at all times.

Despite her best attempt at restrain Vixen's heart leapt in her chest. She knew he was just joking though, as nice as those words sounded, so she laughed and continued to eat. She got lost in her thoughts as they ate, not quite knowing how they ended up here.

Just a short few months ago she wouldn't have slept with Jack if he was the last person alive. Well, she wouldn't have slept with Infinium. But it had been a shock to learn about the man beneath the suit. The man who actually cared. The man who gave and gave, who tried to make the world a better place for everyone else even as he pulled away from it.

"Tell me more about yourself," Vixen requested as they neared the end of their meal. She'd never asked anyone else that question, knowing that it wasn't fair if she did bit reciprocate. But finally she had found someone who she could be honest with. She was hoping he would feel the same.

Back