The Cool Science Stuff Thread

bhmxljmigaaqwai.jpg

Of course, if this is truly all satellites in a single image, then it stands to reason that if this image was shot in real time many of these satellites would be on the other side of the earth hidden from view.

Secondly, satellites in coasting orbits of the same orbital plane travel at speeds largely dependent on their orbital altitude. Objects in low earth orbit travel at a higher speed than those in higher orbits. Thus, objects in true circular orbits of the same plane will never collide because they are traveling at the same constant relative speed. Objects traveling in elliptical or parabolic orbits within the same plane could strike each other or their circular orbiting brethren, however, since the speed of these orbits vary as the altitude from earth varies with the apogee or perigee of the ellipse or parabola.

Finally, while the greatest potential for collision exists between objects with roughly latitudinal orbits and those of longitudinal or "polar" orbits, the risk is confined to the points where the respective orbits intersect. More significantly, the collision risk is also mitigated by the third dimension of varying altitude. Orbital paths of multiple objects can obviously intersect each other in two dimensions an infinite number of times without incident as long as separation is maintained in the third dimension of space. Which is why:

"The 2009 satellite collision was the first accidental hypervelocity collision between two intact artificial satellites in Earth orbit.[1] The collision occurred at 16:56 UTC on February 10, 2009, at 789 kilometres (490 mi)[2] above the Taymyr Peninsula in Siberia, when Iridium 33 and Kosmos-2251 collided.[3][4][5] The satellites collided at a speed of 42,120 km/h (26,170 mi/h)."[6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_satellite_collision

"Please understand. We are building a fucking 290 million dollar satellite. 290 mil! We do not need a positioner. We need the coolest, biggest, most advanced positioner you have. Put all the options on that bad boy. Tilt, rotate, a button that makes it suck my cock, everything you can put on it."

"Please understand. We are building a fucking 290 million dollar satellite. 290 mil! We do not need a positioner. We need the coolest, biggest, most advanced positioner you have. Put all the options on that bad boy. Tilt, rotate, a button that makes it suck my cock, everything you can put on it."

That's likely the option that caused this accident.

That's likely the option that caused this accident.

I don't see any clamps or other fastenings in the photo. Who borrowed the clamps to use on their boat trailer project in the electron beam welding room?

They should have just used a tractor beam.

Of course, if this is truly all satellites in a single image, then it stands to reason that if this image was shot in real time many of these satellites would be on the other side of the earth hidden from view.

Go outside.

Take a look.

Report back.

Watched Cosmos this evening.

Fundamentalists wouldn't have enjoyed the show.

Is it any good? I remember the original when I was a kid and, granted, Sagan is an impossible act to follow, but is it entertaining science or science entertainment?

Is it any good? I remember the original when I was a kid and, granted, Sagan is an impossible act to follow, but is it entertaining science or science entertainment?

It was on evolution. Nicely done.

I re-watched the video of Andrei Linde being told about the proof of cosmic inflation. It makes me cry because I am ridiculous :)

Fun little article about what space smells like.

The final frontier smells a lot like a Nascar race—a bouquet of hot metal, diesel fumes and barbecue. The source? Dying stars, mostly.

The by-products of all this rampant combustion are smelly compounds called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. These molecules "seem to be all over the universe," says Louis Allamandola, the founder and director of the Astrophysics and Astrochemistry Lab at NASA Ames Research Center. "And they float around forever," appearing in comets, meteors and space dust."

They changed their minds (again):
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...g-fat-the-case-for-adding-some-into-your-diet

Rethinking Fat: The Case For Adding Some Into Your Diet
by Allison Aubrey
NPR

Remember the fat-free boom that swept the country in the 1990s?..." Fat was really the villain," says Walter Willett, who is chairman of the department of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health. And, by default, people "had to load up on carbohydrates."

The 1990s were rife with low-fat packaged snacks, from potato chips to cookies.

But, by the mid-1990s, Willett says, there were already signs that the high-carb, low-fat approach might not lead to fewer heart attacks and strokes. He had a long-term study underway that was aimed at evaluating the effects of diet and lifestyle on health.

"We were finding that if people seemed to replace saturated fat — the kind of fat found in cheese, eggs, meat, butter — with carbohydrate, there was no reduction in heart disease," Willett says.

Willett submitted his data to a top medical journal, but he says the editors would not publish his findings. His paper was turned down...

Be wary of science that requires marketing using the label "consensus."

Neil deGrasse Tyson ‏@neiltyson 2m ago

USA to Russia: “We’re imposing sanctions on you!! But please still allow us on your Soyuz so we can reach our Space Station"

Back