The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rather like the idea of "Drip" coffee.
We're promised a warm day tomorrow.
Today has not been fun.
Time I think for another coffee.

If you don't relate to relatives, can you still have revelations?

There has to be a plot bunny in there somewhere.

A beautiful day here. Condolences to all who have a less than stellar day. Warm, sunny, a light breeze. I've been on the screened in porch for most of it, morning coffee, brunch coffee, lunch coffee, early afternooner coffee. (There may or may not be some missing commas in the last sentence.)

Writing naked outside has its own inspiration. Add two naked ladies to the mix and.... :D You either get a lot of writing done or you get distracted and end up having sex. A perfect win-win situation.

Someone else will have to make the afternooner coffee. I'm not coming in to the cafe today. There may or may not be a nap involved.

A nap was involved this afternoon for me.
Sadly, it was alone.

But I think at this late stage of the day, a nice cup of tea in desirable.

Fresh coffee and a kettle for the evening crowd.

We're having supper on the porch. A great day has been had by all. I even got some writing done. :)

Fresh coffee and a kettle for the evening crowd.

We're having supper on the porch. A great day has been had by all. I even got some writing done. :)

And I had lots of coffee and worked my butt off at work all day and now I'm too tired to even think. Early dinner, early night and I'm going to try some more editing and outlining tomorrow morning.

And I had lots of coffee and worked my butt off at work all day and now I'm too tired to even think. Early dinner, early night and I'm going to try some more editing and outlining tomorrow morning.

Those days happen or at least for me they used to happen. One of the benefits of being retired, is that you don't have to be tired unless you want to be.

Have a good night ans good luck with the morning.

Fresh coffee for the late night crew. You know who you are.

My drive was relatively brief today and I watched the brand new calves with their moms in fields along the road, and bright green strips of dryland winter wheat poking up through the remains of last week's snow.

The farm and ranch market reports were good listening, then I shut off the radio. I'm not cut out for country music, so the Nebraska panhandle went by to the sounds of Paul Simon's Graceland and Phil Glass' Songs from Liquid Days.

Last edited:
My drive was relatively brief today and I watched the brand new calves with their moms in fields along the road, and bright green strips of dryland winter wheat poking up through the remains of last week's snow.

The farm and ranch market reports were good listening, then I shut off the radio. I'm not cut out for country music, so the Nebraska panhandle went by to the sounds of Paul Simon's Graceland and Phil Glass' Songs from Liquid Days.

Nebraska, is it all wheat or half corn and half wheat. Kansas is all corn and North and South Dakota are all wheat, but I can't remember exactly what Nebraska is. It has been a long time since I was up that way.

Things do change.

It is past my bedtime. Good night, one and all.

And a warm 'good morning' to those further East, where the dawn rises.
A thin sunshine blankets the locality, a breeze is terrorising the trees
but a decent cup of coffee will enable a certain tranquillity to be achieved.

And - 'breathe. . .'

Nebraska, is it all wheat or half corn and half wheat. Kansas is all corn and North and South Dakota are all wheat, but I can't remember exactly what Nebraska is. It has been a long time since I was up that way.
We drove the Flint Hills across Kansas and the Platte River along Nebraska ten months ago. Much petroleum pumping in Kansas. View cornfields feeding cattle ranches feeding packing plants powered by that petroleum. It's all of a piece. The Sand Hills were lovely but I was going blind. Ophthalmologists in Scotsbluff saved me from totality.

Snow last night, bitter cold tonight, but warming soon. More coffee, while fingering the Lili'u tenor taropatch 'uke. It's voicings are complex. More coffee.

We drove the Flint Hills across Kansas and the Platte River along Nebraska ten months ago. Much petroleum pumping in Kansas. View cornfields feeding cattle ranches feeding packing plants powered by that petroleum. It's all of a piece. The Sand Hills were lovely but I was going blind. Ophthalmologists in Scotsbluff saved me from totality.

Snow last night, bitter cold tonight, but warming soon. More coffee, while fingering the Lili'u tenor taropatch 'uke. It's voicings are complex. More coffee.

Presumably a function of the harmonics ?
The coffee is to your left.

Our local auction this week has a large Sitar in its case. It is about five feet long. It didn't sell last week, probably because the reserve was too high, but there is a lack of local Sitar players.

It may not sell this week either.

More coffee available...

Our local auction this week has a large Sitar in its case. It is about five feet long. It didn't sell last week, probably because the reserve was too high, but there is a lack of local Sitar players.

It may not sell this week either.

More coffee available...

Hmm, sitar you say? I have a bad habit of wanting to buy instruments and subsequently failing to learn how to play them. Alas, any music will have to just come out as words.

Off to the diner for coffee #2, and a little glassy-eyed perusing of the news.

Anyone read Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon? An old favorite, detailing his trip around some of these United States on the "blue highways." I highly recommend it. Gentle humor and meeting new people.

Things do change.

It varies from east to west, depending on how much rainfall and/or irrigation water they have. The big three crops in the east and central are corn, soybeans and sorghum. I think alfalfa is #4 or #5. Wheat is big in the west, but it may be mostly winter wheat. I saw the remains of a few small corn fields from last year but they were small.

My grandfather farmed wheat, sorghum and alfalfa on dry land. My uncle had a well drilled after my grandfather died and that let him grow corn. Most of those who farm also raise some cattle. Generally crops now are not as diverse as they were when people also grew a lot to sell in local markets.

There's just miles and miles of whatever out there. The sky is bright and the horizons are distant.

From Sitars to sorghum. From Blue Highways to needing rides. We are a diverse group. Strange but diverse.

Fresh coffee is now available.

Cinnamon raisin toast for breakfast if any are interested.

I sure hope that you have the right type of Tea for it.

Not being a teas person, my first guess on type would be cinnamon. In any case, I think that is the only type of tea I have left from my working days. Does packaged tea age well?

Coffee and kettle for the afternooner group.

I have some sanding to do and the last coat of epoxy on the new boat. The storage locker doors need to be installed after the epoxy dries and i can flip the boat over. Then it is on to the final step of installing the carpet.

I sure hope that you have the right type of Tea for it.

Let's see. If I can remember what the CQMS routinely brought us, that would be six sugars stirred into a cup of canned milk, a geriatric teabag waved briefly overtop and then the whole mess allowed to curdle satisfactorily. ;)

Actually, I have been looking of late for Constant Comment to supplement my normal lapsang souchong. Surprised how hard it is to find it here. What type is your favourite, sir?

Let's see. If I can remember what the CQMS routinely brought us, that would be six sugars stirred into a cup of canned milk, a geriatric teabag waved briefly overtop and then the whole mess allowed to curdle satisfactorily. ;)

Actually, I have been looking of late for Constant Comment to supplement my normal lapsang souchong. Surprised how hard it is to find it here. What type is your favourite, sir?

Your GQMS (wtf?) reminds me of what we called "NATO standard coffee";
2 sugars (heaped),
! spoon Coffee
Condensed milk to taste; this, especially
(this was great at 3am on night duty)

Tea was generally taken without milk.
I did try it with squeezed fresh lemon for a while; it wasn't bad

For me, a decent cup of tea is pretty average stuff (since I had my taste buds fried 6 years ago, I still have yet to regain full-range tastes)

Tx, Tea is very hygroscopic, so it needs to be kept in the cool & DRY.

HP, you forgot the key part of making proper army coffee. Once made, it needed to be actively boiled for a couple of hours until the cream is actually needed to dilute it enough to insert the spoon to stir. Once tasted, never forgotten; it could be used to patch tires, kill ants and remove powder fouling from gas pistons.

On the whole, I much prefer Tex's coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back