Stop my bed from squeaking?

emme8

Very confusing
My bed frame is not that old but recently it has started squeaking during the deed.
Yes it is hot, except we have kids, and therefore not appropriate.

This morning the girl child woke up and interrupted us. Urrrgh. And knowing this child she will continue to interrupt if she ever hears it again.

So please help me save my sex life. Any suggestions?

Without seeing the bedframe it's impossible to know for sure, but you can use candle wax or bar soap as a lubricant on any spots where metal is rubbing on metal or wood on wood. If the bed frame uses removable slats like 1"x4" boards, ensure none of them fit too tightly between the bed rails. The wax or soap will do the job without adding anything messy or chemical in nature that might hurt pets or stain bedsheets. Best of luck.

I rebuilt our bed. It was also squeaking, but also just needed some serious tightening. It’s an old bed and my wife did not want to replace it. Plus it’s the PERFECT height for fucking missionary off the side of the bed.

Took it apart and retightened everything. I really heavily reinforced the headboard and where it connected to the rails. It is all wood so I simply screwed reinforcing 2x4s.

We haven’t had any issues in a few years.

it’s all really based on your old bed - whether you can reinforce it or find the root cause of the squeaking.

Or perhaps a new bed is in order. Maybe one of those ones that’s more of a platform with a mattress on it.

@emme8

Remove the mattress so you can see the whole frame.

If two pieces of the frame are joined with glue or welded they should be OK

If there is a fastener or just a slot used then the material moves. Dismantle each joint and adda generous amount of wax. Then tighten the fastener. Consider adding fasteners...screw or nut/bolt for loose pieces. Those get waxed before reassembly too.

Have fun testing for squeaks

It could be a few things but depending on the size it might be that the slats in running crosswise on the frame aren't supported. Put some supports, like wood, from the floor to the bottom of the slats that hold up the mattress in the middle of the bed. That'll go a long way.

Also, try to identify where the squeak is. Have your kids bounce on the bed or do it yourself and isolate the sound. Once you figure out where it's originating, you can start testing with tightening the wood pieces together or providing more support to anything that's flexing or bouncing.

Isolate the problem. Is it on the up stroke or the down? Is it louder when doggie style or missionary? Kidding aside. You can get on the bed and make movements and you can hear the sound and help you find the problem. Sometimes its the mattress.... Open up the check book for some lovin..

WD40 and duct tape: Archimedes might have wanted a lever and a fulcrum, but there's very little you can't achieve with WD40 and duct tape.

A bed is made up of a lot of connections when you really think about it, so having a few loose ones will make the bed squeak. As others have said, figuring out where it is squeaking and adding paraffin wax, or additional screws of lag bolts might help in that. I know for an old squeaky bed I had, that worked.

You might also consider a new headboard. If the cost is too much, consider making your own. A headboard is a great DIY project because it is not complicated, or takes a lot of material to make. If the style you like is not something you have done, look up YouTube videos on how to get that look you want by doing it yourself. It really makes a great together-project.

From experience:

Those felt floor protector pads for chair legs - on the headboard

Replace the 1x4 slats with 2x4. Cut them 3/8 shorter and wrap the ends with foam or rubber. Screw them down.

Use beewax on the joints and frame

Back