Songs/pieces of music that bring tears to your eyes/take your breath away, etc.

O Magnum Mysterium - Morten Lauridsen. Sung in my church a couple of years ago, and it was a revelation - modern music which moves one like ancient music can, and based on a particularly lovely passage of the Vulgate.

Gravity - Sara Bareilles (first heard this during one of the best dance routines I've ever seen in my life, interpreting the lyrics on the theme of addiction Haunting music, all about pleading to be let go by the one or the thing that holds you in its power).

Don't You Think It's Time? - Bob Evans (beautiful folky ballad written to his future wife with the refrain "You've been on my mind".)

One Crowded Hour - Augie March (lilting melody and some of the best lyrics I've heard - "I sailed around all those bumps in the night to your beacon in the gloom", "If love is a bolt from the blue, then what is that bolt but a glorified screw?")

The Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde - the climax to over four hours of musical tension, in which that chord is finally resolved in death. One of the greatest experiences of my life was seeing this.

Black-eyed dog - Nick Drake.

He sounds so broken. And knowing what was to come shortly afterwards makes this song almost unlistenable.

How has no one mentioned Adele's Somebody Like You?

Not only is it one of the most gut wrenching songs ever written, I believe it's one of the best songs of all time. If you can watch that girl sing that song and not get chills, I'd check to make sure you still have a soul.

It's tough to find a song that's so perfectly orchestrated. She achieved what few people have ever done with that song. She will go down as one of the greatest artists of all time. Not just for that song, but for every song on that album.

It's tough to find a song that's so perfectly orchestrated. She achieved what few people have ever done with that song. She will go down as one of the greatest artists of all time. Not just for that song, but for every song on that album.

Absolutely! She is a gem! I used to only listen to her CDs. Then, one day, I watched her live performances. Took my breath away!

Like this one... Holy Shamoley!

Adele - One and Only

And that line? "I promise I'm worthy to hold in your arms"

Gosh!

Twist In My Sobriety - Tanita Tikaram (it's the pulsating bass and drum rhythm that gets me...)

Wicked Game - Chris Isaak (that yearning guitar and the falsetto...and he does fill out a white tank top rather nicely...)

These Arms of Mine - Otis Redding (just...)

I've Been Loving You Too Long - Otis Redding (Oh that man could bend a note... mm mm mmmm.....)

Piece of My Heart - Janis Joplin (don't care who else has sung it, original or cover, this... is... primal...)

*sigh* so born in the wrong era....

*sigh* so born in the wrong era....

*chuckles*

I was born in the 70s, and while I should be listening to 80s music, my favorite band is Led Zeppelin. I love Neil Diamond and Elton John. I have been saying I was born in the wrong generation for years.

Just another thing to add to the list of things that make you who you are. You have exquisite taste in music, by the way. It makes you fascinating, Essie!

How has no one mentioned Adele's Somebody Like You?

Not only is it one of the most gut wrenching songs ever written, I believe it's one of the best songs of all time. If you can watch that girl sing that song and not get chills, I'd check to make sure you still have a soul.

I'm just going to leave this here for you and All_4_Love :)

(PS - it's SOMEONE Like You ;) )

I'm just going to leave this here for you and All_4_Love :)

(PS - it's SOMEONE Like You ;) )
This made me happy. Thank you so much for thinking of me, Essie. I was crying like a baby at the beginning with "Someone Like You". The rest left me breathless with goosebumps. She is truly precious and amazing.

I have always said she reminds me of a modern day Janis Joplin. How neat that you love Janis, as well. This is my favorite tune from her that reminds me of Janis the most...

Adele - Take It All

I send my heart full of love out into the universe for you, sweet Essie. I hope you feel it wherever you are, doll. *big huge hug*

Totally understandable. That is a beautiful concert event. Just wish she would tour here one day.

And that's why scientists invented lovely things like Valium and Diazepam ;)

Back