Some questions about the site and editing a science fiction story

cheetiot

Virgin
Hello there all. I'm pretty much a total noob when it comes to writing, and an absolute noob when it comes to this site. I hope this is the right place to ask some questions to learn a bit more about this site, and maybe get a bit of help editing before I try and submit something.

I've been working on an action/erotica sci-fi project that will hopefully end up being a collection of short stories and artwork (if you can actually call my feeble efforts artwork that is), and I've recently finished my first explicit story which involves a small group of both humans and aliens. Though it's part of a larger setting, on its own the story is only about a single sexual encounter.

So, are people happy to read about just sex, or would it be better if I brought more of the overall story in to it? If it helps, I'm slowly compiling character profiles, timeline etc. on my development blog that people would be welcome to read to get more out of the story if they wanted.

Are people even happy to read about aliens having sex, be it with humans or just each other, or is that kind of strange? Pretty much all my fantasies are about sexy aliens. I guess I have a Star Trek view of interspecies relations, where humans and aliens can go wild and enjoy each other's company without it being weird.

Would any science fiction fan(s) be interested in looking it over? I'm mainly just looking for proof reading and error checking, but any ideas for the stories or character/species traits (or even entire new characters/species) would all be taken on board.

Also I can't find any rules on this, but if I submitted this story (or any others that I hopefully get around to) and by some minor miracle it got accepted, could I still have a copy of the story on my own blog, or would it only allowed to be here?

Thanks for any help
Cheet

Regarding alien sex, it depends on the alien. Have you checked out the SciFi and Non-Human categories? That would give you some idea about what readers like.

Stories are posted here on a nonexclusive permissions basis--which means you can publish them anywhere else you like as well.

What people like has no answer here. There are so many readers with so many different tastes that that is an irrelevant question.

Stories are posted here on a nonexclusive permissions basis--which means you can publish them anywhere else you like as well.

What people like has no answer here. There are so many readers with so many different tastes that that is an irrelevant question.

Pilot, it may be irrelevant to you, but to someone who is new, there's nothing wrong with asking the question, although I agree with different tastes and many readers. I would add that each category has a wide range of extremes.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with asking the question. It is a useful answer, not the question, that is irrelevant. Try to keep your brain working and not start a fight.

And, no, there are no secret code rings on what "everyone" wants in any of the categories either.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with asking the question. It is a useful answer, not the question, that is irrelevant. Try to keep your brain working and not start a fight.

And, no, there are no secret code rings on what "everyone" wants in any of the categories either.

You said irrelevant. That pretty much says not relevant.

I'm not trying to start a fight. I was disagreeing with part of your answer. Now, if you weren't saying there's nothing wrong with asking the question, that's good, because you clarified what you said, which is helpful. What is not helpful is your stating, "Try to keep your brain working..." This leads me to believe you're being disingenuous.

I do not want to argue with you. If you can't be civil, don't talk to me.

Last edited:
Just as I thought. Not engaging a brain again. I posted that an answer was irrelevant, not the question. Do try to keep up. And I'm not going around with you on this again. You are a bottomless pit as far as comprehension is concerned.

Just as I thought. Not engaging a brain again. I posted that an answer was irrelevant, not the question. Do try to keep up. And I'm not going around with you on this again. You are a bottomless pit as far as comprehension is concerned.

Stop talking to me. I must not be the "bottomless pit as far as comprehension is concerned," or you wouldn't deign to talk to me. Or, it's an issue of your having the last word.

Both Sci-Fi&Fantasy and NonHuman ( the two most likely categories for your stories ) readers lean toward the longer, plot driven story as far as overall preference. Virtually everyone who writes in the category with any regularity gets numerous comments about readers who skim over the sex to get back to the story.

That said, there are plenty of readers for short, one-shot sex stories as well. Lit has heavy enough traffic that there's a readership here for everything. If such stories are connected within a setting as you're suggesting, they'll probably build a larger readership in those categories. Readers there will also accept a mix ( again, even more readily when the stories are connected by a setting ) of long stories and quick strokers.

Watch your punctuation around dialogue. Laurel has a record of tracking down those mistakes and hitting you with a rejection more often than any other grammar-related issue. Must be a pet peeve of hers :p

Those two categories are far from the most-read on the site, but the readers are generally non-hostile as far as low votes and nasty comments are concerned. If they don't like something, they tend to just move on.

Stop talking to me. I must not be the "bottomless pit as far as comprehension is concerned," or you wouldn't deign to talk to me. Or, it's an issue of your having the last word.

Ah, the old "last word" chestnut. I only post to point it out, because anyone who wants to check it out will clearly see that you always . . . ALWAYS . . . just keep posting after I've stopped. You just can't help yourself. :rolleyes: :D

Ah, the old "last word" chestnut. I only post to point it out, because anyone who wants to check it out will clearly see that you always . . . ALWAYS . . . just keep posting after I've stopped. You just can't help yourself. :rolleyes: :D

The issue, Pilot, is that you've proven to be an unfriendly, sarcastic ass to both newbies and old-timers. When you choose to act civil, I'll talk to you. When you don't, I won't. You can argue all you want, but I do not want to argue, especially when this is an editor's thread about editing/writing issues asked by someone else, a newbie. If you want to discuss anything further, feel free to pm me. I don't want to bore the op or anyone else.

Back