SimonDoom Review Thread

SimonDoom

Kink Lord
I'll throw my hat in the ring and give this a try, at least for a while, if it seems worthwhile. Send me a link to a story and I'll submit a detailed review of it. No stories over 7 Lit pages. I want to review short stories, not novels and novellas. I might be able to do about one story per week, so keep that in mind.

My background: I have no experience writing fiction other than what I've written at Literotica. I've written and posted 51 stories since December 2016 and I have 4316 followers, which makes me the 77th most-followed author at Literotica. I have a degree with high honors in American literature from an American university. I taught high school English for a little while. I've spent decades in a profession in which I write every day, copiously. I have edited an academic journal. I've been an avid reader of all kinds of fiction, from low brow to high brow, since I was a kid. I've been an enthusiastic reader of online erotica since around the turn of the millennium. I have no idea how many Literotica stories I've read. Hundreds. Thousands. I don't know.

None of this means my opinion is correct, or even valuable. You can decide for yourself.

My reviewing criteria/philosophy:

1. I do NOT judge authors by their kinks and erotic preferences, even if they are not my own.

2. I am something of a stickler on matters of grammar, spelling, and punctuation. As a reader, it makes a huge difference for me, and I will let you know it, but I'll try to do so in a helpful way.

3. As a reviewer, the main questions I ask are:

a. How well do I think you accomplished the erotic/artistic purpose you were trying to achieve with this story (as I understand it), and why?
b. How strong was your command of the writing mechanics in the story? Spelling, punctuation, grammar, point of view, tense, dialogue, etc.
c. How pleasing and artful was the prose style?
d. Was the story erotic? In answering this question, I'll try to put myself in the shoes of the author so I'm not just giving my opinion about what personally turns me on.

Last edited:
Simon. Mr. Doom. I'm not sure which you prefer. I'd appreciate feedback on this story, from a critical standpoint. It's well scored but that's because I write what people like. :)
I know it's not perfect, and would appreciate an opinion on where I can improve. Thanks for any time you put in.

https://literotica.com/s/the-pursuit

Like to see that your reviewing criteria have been stated--and that they are more professional than other criteria I've seen being employed by some critiquing here.

Simon. Mr. Doom. I'm not sure which you prefer. I'd appreciate feedback on this story, from a critical standpoint. It's well scored but that's because I write what people like. :)
I know it's not perfect, and would appreciate an opinion on where I can improve. Thanks for any time you put in.

https://literotica.com/s/the-pursuit
I'll give it my best shot. Keep in mind I'm not a pro at this. And please don't call me "Mr. Doom." Simon is fine.

I would appreciate feedback on my latest "Amorous Goods: The Anklet Pair". It's 17.6K words/five LitE pages.

It's doing relatively well (for me) with only five 1-bombs out of 62 votes, but I don't get comments or feedback to determine what I might do better next time.

Capt. Doom, a generous offer. Here's a short (7.4k) piece that I thought might do a bit better (category choice may have been the main deficit, but many of mine also tend to be quirky) but I would appreciate a different, practiced eye for what might be improved. https://literotica.com/s/dont-let-sleeping-dicks-lie

Low priority, accept this if you have a chance, and please do newer authors before this one.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you have the time or inclination for a short story, you can try Echoes. It clocks in at just over a page.

If you like what you read earlier and want to try a long story, you can check out Broken Promises.

I look forward to your feedback. Good and bad.

None of this means my opinion is correct, or even valuable. You can decide for yourself.

My reviewing criteria/philosophy:

1. I do NOT judge authors by their kinks and erotic preferences, even if they are not my own.

2. I am something of a stickler on matters of grammar, spelling, and punctuation. As a reader, it makes a huge difference for me, and I will let you know it, but I'll try to do so in a helpful way.

3. As a reviewer, the main questions I ask are:

a. How well do I think you accomplished the erotic/artistic purpose you were trying to achieve with this story (as I understand it), and why?
b. How strong was your command of the writing mechanics in the story? Spelling, punctuation, grammar, point of view, tense, dialogue, etc.
c. How pleasing and artful was the prose style?
d. Was the story erotic? In answering this question, I'll try to put myself in the shoes of the author so I'm not just giving my opinion about what personally turns me on.
I'd be interested to have your feedback on The Ballad of Little Bird when the opportunity presents itself.

Like to see that your reviewing criteria have been stated--and that they are more professional than other criteria I've seen being employed by some critiquing here.
Good to see you coming into yet another thread without contributing anything but snark.

… And please don't call me "Mr. Doom." Simon is fine.
I don’t recall whether you’ve ever revealed whether you have an advanced degree or not. (Not asking either, I worry when people from small sized communities reveal too much.)

Nonetheless, based on what you’ve said in this thread, I dub thee “Doctor Doom”…. ;-)

I don’t recall whether you’ve ever revealed whether you have an advanced degree or not. (Not asking either, I worry when people from small sized communities reveal too much.)

Nonetheless, based on what you’ve said in this thread, I dub thee “Doctor Doom”…. ;-)

I have a professional degree in addition to a bachelor's degree, but not a Ph.D. I'm also not a medical doctor, however, so please do not call me "Doctor."

If be happy to hear from you on any of my stories. Just four so far. Link below.

O.K. I'm going to resurrect this, and I'm going to actually do it this time.

To start, I'm going to pick an old Literotica story from the past, which is popular and well-regarded, and which I like, and I'll write about what I think about it and why. I hope by doing so I'll give a taste for how I handle reviews. People can see my story-reviewing philosophy in practice. Showing, not just telling. They can then decide whether they think my review might be worthwhile.

Then I will accept proposals from those who want their stories reviewed. I will promise no more than one review per month. I will start by going back through the list of suggestions I've received and contact those authors and see if they still want the reviews done. I reserve the right to mix up the order rather than adopt a strict "first in first out" system to maximize the interest of the subject matter and also to use my reviews as a way of further explaining my philosophy of how to read stories.

By the way, consider recruiting a Garfunkel maybe. It would halve the load and in some cases, it would be good to have two opinions rather than one.

All right, to be completely honest, I am mostly suggesting this because the name of the thread would be quite cool 😉

Back