Saw Joker ~Spoilers welcome~

GiaCat

Gia Cat
It is one of the most intense dramas I have ever seen. For the most part, I felt bad for him. Mental illness is torture, not being able to control your own mind and emotions. And in some cases, not knowing what is real and what isn't.

A poignant part of the film is when he got cut off from his medications because of city budget reductions. His counselor just looked at him and said, "They don't care about you". He just sat there all crumpled up, smoking a cigarette.

Another scene that sticks with me is when he is dancing on the car during the riot. It looks to me he found some detached peace and acceptance of who he is. Overall, it was a very sad and tragic movie. It also does fit in the Gotham Universe. One can imagine him later escaping the asylum as the Dark Knight scenes takes shape.

I do wonder, is he really adopted or is he Tom Wayne's son? Also, from what I understand, it was the Joker who kills Tom Wayne, not some random rioter. questions...questions.

7/10 Found it to be a slow burn and probably an Oscar run. Thought they did a great job of ratcheting up the pressure. Outstanding cinematography.

Did make you question what was real, like was the car dance a delusion like the girlfriend? Was the last scene an older joker pointing to the past?

I liked the metamorphoses dance scene in the bathroom after he shot the subway dudes.

Overall though, seemed less rather than more. Maybe my expectations had been raised.

Oh man, forgot to address the mental health aspect. Strong social commentary, and makes a forceful comment, but actually does a disservice to the mentally ill.

They are far less angry/violent than you or I and are actually more afraid rather than aggressive.

It is one of the most intense dramas I have ever seen. For the most part, I felt bad for him. Mental illness is torture, not being able to control your own mind and emotions. And in some cases, not knowing what is real and what isn't.

A poignant part of the film is when he got cut off from his medications because of city budget reductions. His counselor just looked at him and said, "They don't care about you". He just sat there all crumpled up, smoking a cigarette.

Another scene that sticks with me is when he is dancing on the car during the riot. It looks to me he found some detached peace and acceptance of who he is. Overall, it was a very sad and tragic movie. It also does fit in the Gotham Universe. One can imagine him later escaping the asylum as the Dark Knight scenes takes shape.

I do wonder, is he really adopted or is he Tom Wayne's son? Also, from what I understand, it was the Joker who kills Tom Wayne, not some random rioter. questions...questions.
Or did he imagine the whole thing?

I loved it! A truly great film driven by an incredible performance by Joaquin Phoenix, if he doesn't at least get an Oscar nod I'll be very surprised. Frame-perfect cinematography and top-notch performances all round.

As for the film itself, I'm not sure where to begin. I think I'll need to see it again to let it really sink in. It's certainly a masterpiece and I think it perfectly encapsulates the zeitgeist of our generation. As a political polemic it touches on every hot button issue, holding up a mirror to the madness of the far-left cultural establishment.

Though the reason it will have staying power as a film is that when it comes down to it it's really only about a single man's spiral from abuse to madness to revenge wrapped up in a darkly comic bow.

(The midget unable to reach the door lock after the joker killed his buddy had me in fits!)

I hate all the Batman films, just not my scene. But this was bloody fantastic. He was mesmerising in it and if he doesn't get a slew of awards it'll be a crime.

If ever a movie benefitted from people projecting their headcanon onto it, this is the one. Most of the praise about the film seems to be for things I don't believe the director actually accomplished. (And I'm a fan of the director.)

Overrated and uneven. Joaquin's Joker didn't have any convincing mirth, and I believe the character demands there be at least some. His acting was great with the parameters given to him, but I thought Heath balanced it out far better.

Back