Re-Thinking Colombus Day

gotsnowgotslush

skates like Eck
National Indigenous Peoples Day

A day to contemplate what indigenous people endured when Europeans invaded the Americas.

Enough brutality, evil, and murder, to turn your stomach.

Pillage, rape, enslave, murder, repeat. Until all are dead.

Columbus accomplished the genocide the Taíno people.
Only genetic fragments remain.

The real significance of Columbus Day lies in the fact he established the Indigenous Holocaust Formula, leading to the extermination of 70 million to 100 Million Indigenous People and the theft of Indigenous lands.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/12/1246553/-Columbus-and-The-Legacy-of-Genocide

On Columbus’s first trip to the Caribbean, he later returned to Spain and left behind 39 men who went ahead and helped themselves to Native women. Upon his return the men were all dead.With 1,200 more soldiers at his disposal, rape and pillaging became rampant as well as tolerated by Columbus.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...-christopher-columbus-and-columbus-day-151653

10/14/14

Most Holy Father,

Han (Hello). My name is Cankudutawin (Red Road Woman). I am Native American Indian, of the Oceti Sakowin (Great Sioux Nation). We predate the United States. Our traditional homelands are in the Great Plains of North America. I was born in Fort Yates, North Dakota on the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation and I am an enrolled member of the Sisseton Wahpeton Oyate (People).

My grandmothers Katherine Ray and Stella Pretty Sounding Flute were both devout Catholics. People say that you are good, and that you are unique from your predecessors. There is talk among my people that you will listen to me, a simple Native woman from the Reservation.

After Christopher Columbus landed in 1492, the existence of Indigenous peoples in North and South America was forever changed. The historical trajectory of my people was altered too. Besides being subject to diseases like smallpox that we had no immunity to, we were starved, brutalized, and murdered. Millions of Indigenous people were slaughtered in the name of Manifest Destiny, born from the Doctrines of Discovery and in particular the 1493 Papal Bull.

The Papal Bull Inter Caetera, a solemn edict authored by Pope Alexander VI in 1493, gave Christians dominion over Indigenous lands and called for the subjugation of Native Indigenous peoples for the purpose of propagating Christian doctrine. In fact, Christians were charged with the duty of overthrowing Indigenous Nations in order to convert them to Christ, and Christian heirs were granted “full and free power, authority, and jurisdiction of every kind.” Those who attempted to controvert this Papal document were threatened with incurring “the wrath of Almighty God and of the blessed apostles Peter and Paul.”

What this Papal Bull granted was right of conquest. Colonization began with Spain and Portugal, and every other Christian European power followed their lead. European invaders who stole Indigenous lands and lives were anointed with the ability to do so through the church, which was the foundation of state laws. Some three hundred years after Pope Alexander VI invoked deprimantur against my ancestors, John Marshall, the fourth Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, took the Papal Bull Inter Caetera principle of Right of Reduction, based on the Christian Latin concept of dominorum Christianorum, and made Christian dominion law vis-a-vis the invention of the Doctrine of Discovery. This Doctrine itself has no legal foundation. Using the reasoning of the Inter Caetera, the Supreme Court invalidated the Indigenous land claims of Natives whose ancestors had lived in North America for thousands of years and gifted title to American colonists who were governed by Christian leaders.

Without this Papal Bull, the United States of America would be forced to reconcile termination and assimilation policies it carried out against its Native inhabitants, theft of Indigenous lands and resources, treaty breaches, and the genocide it carried out through massacres like those that occurred at Sand Creek, Wounded Knee, and Whitestone Hill, among others. The United States and other colonial countries justified atrocities such as these by hiding behind the church.

As long as the Papal Bull Inter Caetera remains in effect, Indigenous people will continue to suffer. All U.S. law concerning Native American Indians is built upon the Marshall trilogy, that of the Doctrine of Discovery. The Right of Reduction, under the guise of the Doctrine of Discovery, is being used to feed the colonial beast and used to empower capitalism, as multinational corporations piggyback on religious quasi-legal concepts like the Doctrine of Discovery to steal from Indigenous peoples globally. In the pursuit of timber, oil, jewels and other riches, they disregard our lives.

I come to you with humility and respect, as someone who recognizes the authority of He who heals the broken hearted and binds up their wounds; the One who came not to condemn the world, but to save it.

For the good of all, we ask that you formally revoke the Inter Caetera Bull of 1493. Doing so will restore our fundamental human rights and bring healing to Indigenous people and in turn, the entire world. Only you have the power to accomplish this.

Please meet with me, as a representative of Indian country, for an interview when you visit the United States next year. Mitakuye Oyasin.

With every good wish to Your Holiness,

Sincerely Yours,

Cankudutawin, Red Road Woman

Ruth Hopkins

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...rancis-abolish-papal-bull-behind-colonization

Columbus Day was conceived by the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic Fraternal organization, in the 1930s because they wanted a Catholic hero. After President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the day into law as a federal holiday in 1937, the rest has been history

Native Americans Day

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
only after the last river has been poisoned,
only after the last fish has been caught,
only then will you find money cannot be eaten."

~Cree Prophecy

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/10/11/1430732/-October-12-Best-Wishes-for-Native-Americans-Day

October 12th is Columbus Day, a day which is increasingly coming under criticism for celebrating a genocidal pirate, murderer, rapist, and enslaver who is credited with the “discovery” of the Western Hemisphere.

Unknown to most people is the enormity of Columbus' genocidal actions, as well as its deadly legacy lasting into modern times. Genocide expert David Stannard has asserted that, beginning in 1492 with Columbus, Europeans collectively killed between 70 million to 100 million Indigenous People (within 80 years).

In his book American Holocaust, Stannard calls this “the largest ongoing holocaust in the history of humanity.” The consequences of this Indigenous Holocaust were world-changing: 95% of Indigenous People were killed by European actions, 100% of Indigenous lands were stolen, and European-descent people became the most prosperous people on the planet.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/12/1246553/-Columbus-and-The-Legacy-of-Genocide

Murder, mutilation, tyranny, slavery, theft

48-page document gathers evidence from Columbus' enemies and supporters of his seven-year reign. Ms Varela, one of the two Spanish historians to have studied the document, described life in the colony as "horrifying and hard".

The report, by Francisco de Bobadilla, lay undiscovered in a state archive in the Spanish city of Valladolid. Bobadilla had already been named governor of the Indies, replacing Columbus, at the time of the report.

The document was written by a member of an order of religious knights, the Order of Calatrava, who had been asked to investigate the allegations against Columbus by Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand, who ruled Spain together at the time.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/aug/07/books.spain

Native Americans Day

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
only after the last river has been poisoned,
only after the last fish has been caught,
only then will you find money cannot be eaten."

~Cree Prophecy

The Rainbow Warriors

Columbus Day and Thanksgiving should be days of mourning by First Nations people. Wouldn't blame them if they did.

Crap story anyway! Vikings discovered North America 500 years before. Columbus discovered Caribbean isles not America. Vikings landed in Labrador, Newfoundland and Eastern Canada. They may have made it to northern New England states.

America is English, not Norse, not Spanish or Italian. America is an English country. Should celebrate Queen Elizabeth I's birthday.

Sep. 7th

Columbus Day and Thanksgiving should be days of mourning by First Nations people. Wouldn't blame them if they did.

Crap story anyway! Vikings discovered North America 500 years before. Columbus discovered Caribbean isles not America. Vikings landed in Labrador, Newfoundland and Eastern Canada. They may have made it to northern New England states.

America is English, not Norse, not Spanish or Italian. America is an English country. Should celebrate Queen Elizabeth I's birthday.

Sep. 7th

There's no ma have in the Vikings: They did reach New England, evidence has been found in Maine and New Hampshire.

My family has never celebrated "Lost Italian" Day. My father and his siblings would picket the local Columbus Day parade with signs "We were here first." They were half Mohawk.

Indigenous Day is best!

As for Thanksgiving, my grandmother and her family would celebrate "Harvest Home" on the reservation and when they left. They would spend the morning hunting, then come home and have a meal of the vegetables from the local farms, or their own gardens and farms - canned veggies and fruits for the most part.

My father's first turkey at Thanksgiving was when he celebrated it with us when I was 6. Until then, it was venison and fish.

So "Lost Italian" Day is just another day of no mail service and banks are closed.

Maybe so, but Columbus' voyage was the one that made the difference. By 1492, the Norse colony in Vinland had long since been abandoned and forgotten, the colonists either died off or sailed east or were assimilated by the local Indians.

For most of human history people in the Eastern Hemisphere were utterly ignorant of the existence of the Western Hemisphere and vice-versa. After Columbus, that would never be true again, human cultures previously as separate as if they had existed on different planets would always be in contact, and species of plants and animals from each hemisphere were introduced to the other. The net effect might be good or evil, but what Columbus did was at any rate one of the most important things a human has ever done. It makes no difference that he remained convinced to the end of his life that the Caribbean islands were off the eastern shores of Asia.

Not all Europeans were totally ignorant of a possible continent there. Fisherman sailing from Portugal would go south on prevailing winds and cut across the Atlantic to pick up first prevailing winds going back north. They reported the Saragossa Sea of kelp and seaweed. They knew some large landmass was causing these winds and currents.

Back