Quick doodle

DeLaFaye

Lover of Monsters
It's been a while since I've given much energy or time to drawing. Like, over a decade a while. I've never done anything with digital drawing, but seeing some of y'alls stuff, I think I might just have to get in on that. Any advice? Advice regarding digital drawing, not this doodle. lol I know this is awful, but for being out of it for so long I'm not hating it. 🤷‍♀️

IMG_3796.jpeg

Advice on digital drawing — DRAW- using digital tools> Stylus, tablet and software (photoshop, procreate for example)

Do not even start to believe that Filters or AI prompts are in any way "digital drawing".

The most important advice is to draw as much as you can. And use references.
Different art brushes and all sorts of effects won't help until you learn how to draw.

When I pivoted to digital, I tried to use functions that mimicked what I used on paper, and I practiced by redrawing things I'd already drawn on paper and trying to get them to look similar. The biggest barrier was the sensory difference of using the stylus and tablet.

Advice on digital drawing — DRAW- using digital tools> Stylus, tablet and software (photoshop, procreate for example)

Do not even start to believe that Filters or AI prompts are in any way "digital drawing".
Any recommendations for a stylus or tablet? There's so many options. 🤯

And agreed, I feel the same with illustration and writing alike, what's the point?

When I pivoted to digital, I tried to use functions that mimicked what I used on paper, and I practiced by redrawing things I'd already drawn on paper and trying to get them to look similar. The biggest barrier was the sensory difference of using the stylus and tablet.
Thank you! I feel like I'm stuck in the dark ages, I've never used a stylus or tablet for drawing and I know it's going to be a transition. I dug out my actual supplies last night so I'm at least getting that muscle memory back.

Any recommendation on a stylus or tablet? I wanted a Wacom years ago when I thought about getting back into drawing then, but haven't done any recent research yet. There's just so many options and nothing seems to be actual independent opinion/research anymore. 🤷‍♀️

Any recommendation on a stylus or tablet? I wanted a Wacom years ago when I thought about getting back into drawing then, but haven't done any recent research yet. There's just so many options and nothing seems to be actual independent opinion/research anymore.
Wacom is the best choice. I have been using their products for more than 15 years and I am uncomfortable with other companies' tablets because of various little things.
If you want to draw on the screen, everyone praises the ipad. Or special monitors that require connection to a pc or laptop. Here you can take a cheaper option than Wacom, for example - XP-PEN

Thank you! I feel like I'm stuck in the dark ages, I've never used a stylus or tablet for drawing and I know it's going to be a transition. I dug out my actual supplies last night so I'm at least getting that muscle memory back.

Any recommendation on a stylus or tablet? I wanted a Wacom years ago when I thought about getting back into drawing then, but haven't done any recent research yet. There's just so many options and nothing seems to be actual independent opinion/research anymore. 🤷‍♀️
Wacom seems to be the standard, but I use a Microsoft Surface and it works just fine. I originally had no plans to start working digitally, but then I got the Surface (for non-drawing reasons) and tried drawing on it on an impulse. I've been using it ever since.

I use a Microsoft Surface and it works just fine.
It's good that you've made friends with this device. I have a Surface Book 3 and thought I would draw on it a lot, but after the Wacom and pc I can't do it like I used to. The lines are less predictable and jittery when drawing slowly, and it's important for clean lines in many drawings. Plus it gets very warm when I'm working at the resolution I'm used to, from 2-4k upwards

Back