Pick Your Adventure Stories

CuttingEdge

Literotica Guru
Have any authors on here ever tried writing a "Choose your own Adventure" Story?

For those that do not know, they are mostly found in kids chapter books where at a certain point in the story, the reader can skip ahead and read a variation of an ending that they might like, or as I did as a kid, kept going back and eventually reading all the various endings.

With erotica it can be fun because you can take the main character down different paths. Just as an example, a couple might be on a cruise ship and a situation leads her to the wife being provocatively dressed, but endings could be of her and the husband having kinky sex, or the husband being cuckolded by the wife having sex with the captain of the ship, or her in a gangbang, or her with another woman. You get the idea.

I have written a few, but they can be confusing to write, and take up a lot of time since you end up writing a lot of half-stories, if that makes sense.

There is a section of this forum dedicated to them but there's not much interest. Go to the main forum page and scroll to the bottom.

There is supposedly a new interactive fiction feature currently in beta testing, and there's a sub-topic for this under Authors Hangout.

But you're right about it being time-consuming and fragmentary.

It is an interesting idea but it’s definitely a lot of work. Visual novels of course do it but for the text only version, you could do Twine. It’s an HTML published program and the language code for it (twee) isn’t too difficult. I haven’t seen an erotic story made with it but it should be possible.

Edit: okay, forgot to check Itch.io, lol, there’s a whole bunch of them

Right there with you. I have enough trouble coming up with one decent beginning, middle and end.
They are challenging to write.

I have done a few and the problem for me is that they have to really be watered down. If you go heavy on the main part of the story before the story splits, those details can be a problem later on as various details counteract certain endings and yet compliment others.

And you guys know me: I write with a lot of complexity and detail.

Never even considered it, for the reasons above... too much work, and for a niche with a limited audience (my perception).

All of the literary veterans (which I am not) will hate me for saying this, but it seems like a job for an AI writer.

There is programs out there to help with writing this, sadly it's a paid program iirc

My advice would be write one "story" fully then go back to first split and write that option out fully, keep rince and repeating till finished.

I tried once, and got about half way in one story and then went into a funk of not writing and I'm dammed if I can find the program on my pc now....and I don't want to start fresh

There is programs out there to help with writing this, sadly it's a paid program iirc

My advice would be write one "story" fully then go back to first split and write that option out fully, keep rince and repeating till finished.

I tried once, and got about half way in one story and then went into a funk of not writing and I'm dammed if I can find the program on my pc now....and I don't want to start fresh
Like I said…

Microsoft Word can easily handle this type of writing; that is the program I always used. Years ago I just hyperlinked the various endings in the text of the document, but now using Navigational view and using different hierarchy's of titling, it is even easier. I mention that only because Microsoft Word is bundled with many computers when you buy them off the shelf.

Written here it might sound technical, but it is really easy.

I use Microsoft Word for my novels because using the Navigational page, and Titling, I can rearrange chapters so easily. I even print off books for my Beta readers that look like books you buy off bookstore shelves. Publishers and Printers will not accept Microsoft Word, but you can easily convert them to PDF's within Word, then send them off...

I even read such a story once. But it's extremely difficult to create something like that for it to be equally fun, detailed and long no matter what route is chosen without just reorganizing scenes.

I even read such a story once. But it's extremely difficult to create something like that for it to be equally fun, detailed and long no matter what route is chosen without just reorganizing scenes.
Oh for sure.

The last one I wrote was for my wife, and she really did not like it. I messed up some details, also called Plot Holes, where I forgot what I wrote for one ending, and it ended up being a turn-off for her. It is embarrassing, but I will just say it in any case...She likes anal, so one ending was of her taking it anally, but I forgot that, and had her later giving me a blowjob. I know ATM (ass to mouth) is okay for some, but NOT her, so it really ruined the whole of the story for her.

But in my mainstream novel writing, I run into this a lot. I often do trilogies and run into the same problem. As an example, one first novel had a main character with a 3 year old daughter which the mother kept him from seeing, but I omitted that aspect in the following two books. I have to go back and add that in. Another main character of mine, has the habit of chomping on carrot sticks to defeat her wanting to smoke a cigarette during times of stress, and I forgot to include that in the other following two books.

But its all about timing. It takes me about 3 months to do a novel, so 9 months for a trilogy. After 9 months, I forget the details of a book I wrote 9 months before, whereas a reader just read that a few days before. So they pick right up on those plot holes.

So it's challenging to do multiples of any novels or stories for sure.

Last edited:
Like I said…
I'm not meaning AI.

I'm meaning there was something similar to inklewriter (I actually think this is the program I used prior), that will show you if you have any lose ends, shows you what options you have already completed. So you can follow one all the way to the end and then go back for write different story's for each branching aspect.

It does none of the writing for you.

Damm it I have ANOTHER WIP

Back