Now the Republicans want to cut the retirement pay of SOLDIERS!!!

LJ_Reloaded

バクスター の
News Flash, 4est Gump and Jen Alt Army:

When you start shortchanging the warriors who defend your country, you might not be able to count on them to protect you when the workers start rebelling against your system.

When the army turns against you, who are you going to call in against them?

http://www.votecitizens.org/forum/topics/new-military-retirement-policy

New Military Retirement Policy - A Travesty!

by William Edson

July 27, 2011

"Below is a letter that I recently wrote to my state congressional representatives:

July 27, 2011

To: Vermont Congressional Delegation

Senator Patrick Leahy, Senator Bernie Sanders, Representative Peter Welch

Dear Sirs,

I am writing as a retired member of the United States armed forces with great concern regarding a recent plan announced by the Department of Defense to change the existing retirement plan of US service members in order to reduce military costs. This plan was reported in the Stars and Stripes, Navy Times, Air Force Times, and Army Times as “a radical overhaul to the current retirement system”.

Please understand clearly that I am not writing in protest of this plan for personal reasons. At this point, my earned retirement benefits will not be affected. As a member of the United States military veteran community, I am held by the bonds of brotherhood to stand tall in advocacy for those who are currently serving and who will consequently be the unfortunate bearers of this absurd revision of policy. And, who will accept even further sacrifice under their creed of service with no protest, no controversy, no violence, and no threatened work stoppage as their civilian counterparts abhorrently exhibited in Wisconsin.

We all understand the gravity of the trying economic times we are all experiencing, and, for the most part we all can agree that sacrifices must be made in order to rectify our financial shortcomings. However, do you not think that our Soldiers, Marines, Airmen, and Sailors are already doing their fair share in service alone? Not to mention that these fine citizens only represent approximately 1% of the country’s population and already are willing to protect the freedoms of not only the United States but those around the world for much less than a fair wage and benefits.

For example, there is a young solider from Vermont currently serving in Afghanistan with the 101st Airborne Division. He pulls duty in a tower of a Combat Operations Base in a remote area of the country and is the frontline of defense by guarding his comrades from enemy attack, mortar fire, and snipers. He is 20 years old, and despite the danger, is strongly considering re-enlistment.

Based on his rank and time in service, he earns a base pay of $1,838.70 monthly (that’s $22,064.40 annually). It is safe to say that he does not serve his country for the pay. Under the new retirement policy, this soldier will automatically forfeit 16.5% of his base pay to a corporate 401k modeled retirement fund, in which he will not be able to access until he is age 59 ½ despite his overall time in service. This not only eliminates this soldier’s incentive to serve in the Army for a twenty year career but gives him less money to survive on while serving. Here’s a quick fact to ponder: According to a financial watchdog organization, it costs the citizens of America $20,187 per week to support each member of Congress. After, the new military retirement policy is adopted, that will be $1,764 more than this soldier will make each year!

I realize that all of you are trying to concentrate your efforts on ways that will help bring resolution to our country’s financial dilemma; that will be comprehensive and fair to all Americans. However, I feel that reducing the incentives and salaries of our service men and women is less than fair.

Isn’t it enough that our returning combat veterans receive less than adequate healthcare? Isn’t it enough that on any given night there are 107,000 homeless military veterans sleeping on the streets of America? Isn’t it enough that over 1,600 Army and Marine Corps personnel attempted suicide this past year? Isn’t it enough that our military families must endure long durations of separation and a divorce rate that exceeds the national percentage? It is obvious to me that America has a long way to go before it can say it is providing its service members fair and deserving compensation, but to help bankroll the pork-ridden budget of this nation on the shoulders of those who are willing to give the ultimate sacrifice is nothing less than shameful and despicable.

In closing, I urge you to be even more outspoken in support of our military service men and women, to appeal the new military retirement policy, and to find other innovative ways in which our financial challenges can justly be resolved with absolute fairness.

Also, please know that I am not leaving this burden entirely upon you as my representatives, that, I am willing to be as much a part of the solution as I am willing to protest the problem. I am willing to join you in any way that will help make the meaning of this message clear to those who need to hear it or wish to ignore it.

I have served this great nation of ours as a member of the Active Duty, Reserves, and Army National Guard. For more than 23 years, I stood at the ready for a call to duty which was epitomized in the brutal streets of Ramadi, Iraq in 2005 to 2006. My family and I have made great sacrifices for this country without one ounce of regret. I continue to selflessly serve my community in several ways. It is now a part of my personal being, and, I will always be prepared to stand proudly and firmly for what is truly right about America. As my representatives, I expect nothing less from you.

Thank you for your time and genuine consideration.

Respectfully submitted,

William F Edson, SFC
United States Army (Retired)"

no dipshit, see people like you think money grows on trees. democrats blow through billions of dollars a year on crap. government wastes money.

that is the problem!

problem #2, is that its the obama who is cutting the military budget.

as an addendum.. I do not typically rely on FOX news.. but the article does point out three things.

1. this is not a "Republican" gesture
2. there are potential positive outcomes AND potential negative outcomes
3. the final details of the plan are still in process

It really is a topic that would be interesting to follow. My brother just retired from the Navy after about 35 years. His son is currently serving.

The opinions will be mixed. As someone who had seen many young men and women leave the military with no means of establishing a civilian life, his hope is that this will provide some sort of a launching pad for retirement planning that now only exists for those who already have an understanding of investment planning.

Regarding the quoted salaries, I don't know how it is in other branches of the service. When he did not live on base, he received a housing stipend to live off base. It was not included in his "salary." His educational benefits are not included in his "salary." When I look at the "benefits and other compensation" page that my employer sends me annually, my "total compensation package" is about 150% of my "salary." The details need to be more clear if we're to make a judgement on a proposal that is still in the works.

I think if I was still in the field I would drop my weapon and tell the politicians to fight their own fucking war and go home.

I think if I was still in the field I would drop my weapon and tell the politicians to fight their own fucking war and go home.

hahahaha.. I just had a visual of a 3 foot man throwing his Nerf Blaster Pack into the grass and stomping into the distance, arms swinging in the exaggerated fashion of a toddlers tantrum.

GiggLeGasm
June Cleaver Wannabe

I'm still wondering why such a great mom would nickname her kid "Beaver"...

GiggLeGasm
June Cleaver Wannabe

I'm still wondering why such a great mom would nickname her kid "Beaver"...

That name was given to him by his friends.. on the way home from school one day after he spent extra time having snacks with Darla McMahon, later known as "Swallows"

That name was given to him by his friends.. on the way home from school one day after he spent extra time having snacks with Darla McMahon, later known as "Swallows"

"Swallows" and "Beaver" sitting in a tree...

Are you really surprised? It doesn't benefit cooperate america, the rich, the religious right.........will have no impact in their ability to fundraise....the lobbyist own America. Democracy is an American illusion....yet we contunie to agrue about which group of lobbyist control the white house and congress.

Regarding the quoted salaries, I don't know how it is in other branches of the service. When he did not live on base, he received a housing stipend to live off base. It was not included in his "salary." His educational benefits are not included in his "salary." When I look at the "benefits and other compensation" page that my employer sends me annually, my "total compensation package" is about 150% of my "salary." The details need to be more clear if we're to make a judgement on a proposal that is still in the works.

I don't see why he received an off-base housing stipend to live on base. That's not how it works. Maybe you're thinking of COLA (cost of living allowance)? As far as all the other benefits go, the educational thing is a good one. But it doesn't apply if a person already has a degree, isn't interested, or isn't really bright enough for college.

The problem with cutting military retirement pay is that military members don't make enough money to realistically save for retirement in any other way. Officers could maybe work a 401(k) but enlisted not so much.

The 20-year retirement plan is the carrot on the stick that keeps reenlistment happening.

Last edited:
Not the Republicans my fact check challeged friend its Obama and his tard party that start more wars and now attack the military retirement system!
The retired vets will come after anyone who trys to take what they earned,they know the rules,the laws and are armed......so again stop drinking the foolaid!

Not the Republicans my fact check challeged friend its Obama and his tard party that start more wars and now attack the military retirement system!
The retired vets will come after anyone who trys to take what they earned,they know the rules,the laws and are armed......so again stop drinking the foolaid!

Wow, yer stupid.

I didn't notice. My bad.
Here's another one--although it's not of much practical use, just an observation. Open any thread, no matter what it's about, and read Post #2. About half the time, maybe more, it's by Koalabear. (About three-quarters of that time, it's about Fast & Furious.)

You may have to take some people off Ignore to get the full effect.

Here's another one--although it's not of much practical use, just an observation. Open any thread, no matter what it's about, and read Post #2. About half the time, maybe more, it's by Koalabear. (About three-quarters of that time, it's about Fast & Furious.)

You may have to take some people off Ignore to get the full effect.

Horrible thing to talk about F n F

its NOT in teh NIGGER playbook, is it, NIGGER?

I know

lets talk RACIST ROCK!

Back