National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

gotsnowgotslush

skates like Eck
"The Congress, by Public Law 103-308, as amended, has designated December 7 of each year as "National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim December 7, 2016, as National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. I encourage all Americans to observe this solemn day of remembrance and to honor our military, past and present, with appropriate ceremonies and activities. I urge all Federal agencies and interested organizations, groups, and individuals to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff this December 7 in honor of those American patriots who died as a result of their service at Pearl Harbor.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this sixth day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-first.

Barak Obama

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...on-national-pearl-harbor-remembrance-day-2016

Today, Michelle and I join the American people in remembering those who gave their lives at Pearl Harbor—many of them not much older than boys—and in honoring their families—spouses, siblings, sons and daughters who still carry the memories of their loved ones in their hearts. We give thanks to the veterans and survivors of Pearl Harbor who faced down fear itself, met infamy with intrepidity, freed captive peoples from fascism and whose example inspires us still. For out of the horrors of war, this Greatest Generation forged an enduring international order, became the backbone of the middle class and powered America’s prosperity. Their courage and resolve remind us of that fundamental American truth—that out of many we are one; and that when we stand together, no undertaking is too great.

On this National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, we also reaffirm that the work of securing and strengthening our nation goes on. While we can never repay the profound debt of gratitude we owe to those who served on our behalf, we can embrace our commitment to care for and support veterans of America’s wars from every generation.

As a testament that even the most bitter of adversaries can become the closest of allies, I look forward to visiting the USS Arizona Memorial later this month along with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. This historic visit will stand as a tribute to the power of reconciliation and to the truth that the United States and Japan—bound by an alliance unimaginable 75 years ago—will continue to work hand-in-hand for a more peaceful and secure world.”

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2016/...ks-veterans-survivors-of-pearl-harbor-attack/

On the eve of Dec. 7, 1941, the news was filled with stories of the war in Europe with Germany and Japan’s increasing aggressiveness towards its Asian neighbors.

News articles on the front page of the regular edition of the Hilo Tribune Herald on Dec. 7 — published prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor — told of Japanese troop movements in Indo-China and convoys steaming toward Thailand.

But despite the saber-rattling — President Roosevelt sent the Japanese government a letter of concern about its threatening actions, and Japanese officials claimed in turn that the U.S. was moving toward “further extending world upheaval” – war that morning still seemed distant to residents of Hilo and the Big Island.

An advertisement said “happy times” called for Mulsified Cocoanut Oil Shampoo. Items on the front-page News About Town column spoke of day-to-day goings-on, such as election of officers of the CYO Girls unit at the St. Joseph parish, and how Nelson Ahuna of the county real property tax office was enjoying his vacation.

But that world soon would be turned upside down.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...-propaganda-skew-tribune-herald-news-accounts

I didn't see the movie so I can't really remember it, but I did like Affleck as Batman. His body was incredible.

Pearl Harbor will make people remember FDR's decision to sacrifice the obsolete battle ships in order to counteract the isolationists who objected to another European war. And the ineptness of the Army to reject the use of the Navy's communication system to pass the warning order from Washington to Honolulu.

The Japanese were not the only infamous ones during that period.

Back