My Milky Journey

S

sally_sparrow

Earlier last year I was in the process of re-lactating after having weaned my youngest about a year prior. This past fall I had an injury that stopped the process of inducing, which was unfortunate because my breasts were swelling and I was getting so close ... so much effort and time lost.

Now that my injury is healed, I am beginning the process again, and I decided to start this thread to document my lactation induction journey.

I plan to share here where I am in my journey and how it is going, what is working, different techniques for expressing, physiology, foods and supplements that help, etc.

I am not a lactation consultant and nothing that I post should be considered medical advice. I am however well-versed in breastfeeding and physiology of the breasts and process of lactation with training and experience as a midwife. I am happy to answer questions if anyone has any, or feel free to drop in and cheer me on.

Looking forward to "expressing myself" ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
All Clear

Now that I am "all clear", it is time to get back to what I began. I have not begun expressing manually yet, but am working on gathering supplies needed in order to make it my best effort. Initially I never used a pump to stimulate my nipples. I chose to use a TENS unit along with hand expression, lots of water, good healthy foods and a prenatal supplement.

This time around I plan on incorporating a pump along with the aforementioned supplies. I chose before to only use a TENS and manual expression because I am able to hide the unit in my bra, it is silent, and I can use it anywhere. It is a fun little secret of mine; having pads placed on either side of my nipples attached to a small unit hidden beneath my clothing. I could be anyone you see in your day-to-day, and at some point in time (every 3 hours) my nipples are rock hard while tingling from the sensation :)

In my search for a pump, and from the information I already have on the subject, I have discovered a few things...

It is always recommended to use a hospital grade pump to induce. Single user pumps are fine for nursing mothers who already have an abundance of milk. When you are a nursing mother, it generally takes little effort to get your milk to flow.

Inducees are asking their bodies to do something which, while it is a normal bodily function, their bodies would not naturally be doing at this given time (producing milk), as we are not new moms. Hospital grade pumps have a stronger vacuum/suction and allows you to vary the pulse to mimic that of an infant. A pump is needed to do that exact task and mimic what would normally be occurring.

New or Used?
Used pumps are a-okay, but ONLY hospital grade and you purchase an accessory kit (bottles, hoses, filters, shields, etc) separately. The accessory kit usually runs about US $20. With hospital grade pumps, no milk goes thru the pump itself. So when you replace the kit you remove any risk of cross contamination.

Reusing the kit from someone else is not safe, so I would therefore not purchase a used pump along with used hoses, filters, etc. Plastic cannot be thoroughly sterilized without damaging the integrity of the plastic.

How, When, How Often?
It is recommended to massage/marmet/Tens/suckle/pump for 20 minutes every 3 to 4 hours. Note to self and others interested: longer sessions are not better and could have the adverse effect. You also run the risk of getting dry cracked nipples, which is very painful.

Thankfully in my research of inducing, I have found that it is not necessary to pump overnight. It is important however, to pump or express as soon as you wake. You might get milk faster getting up every 4 hours but a good night's sleep is also important to induce. Lack of sleep causes stress and all manner of problems which is very bad while inducing.

So which pump to get?

Well, if you have $1,000 laying around, this one is for you. This is actually the one I used to have. I should have kept it... I had no idea how much it cost since it was covered under my insurance at the time of my child's birth.

Hospital grade pumps available today:
• Ameda Elite
• Ameda Lact-e
• Ameda SMB
• Hygeia EnDeare
• Medela Classic
• Medela Lactina
• Medela Symphony

I am sure there are more, but these are what I have found and have experience with.

How much do they cost and where do you find a used pump?

I have seen them range anywhere from $50-$500 (USD) for a used, hospital grade pump. It depends on how lucky you are! I am going to look at eBay and other websites that sell used items. I may also check out consignment or thrift stores that specialize in baby gear. My local chapter of La Leche League keeps a list of women selling pumps they no longer need. Yard/Garage/Tag sales that list baby gear are also a good place to look. You could also call around to local hospitals or medical supply stores that rent pumps.

I plan to purchase one soon and am hopeful I can find one at a decent price.

Big squishy boobie hugs to you all! :D

Interesting project, Sally. What is your ultimate goal? End use is where I'm going here.

Thanks for sharing this in such detail.

Interesting project, Sally. What is your ultimate goal? End use is where I'm going here.

Thanks for sharing this in such detail.

Hey twister, thanks for asking. A few varied reasons:

1. I loved the way I felt while lactating. I loved the heaviness of my breasts and the letdown sensation with latching. I used to feel ashamed for the way my body reacted while nursing. I felt dirty (in a bad way) about becoming turned on while my kids nourished themselves. I have finally stopped shaming myself after the idea was brought to my attention last year and I began to look at it in a completely different way.

2. It is an incredible thing that my body can do and it makes me feel "womanly" I guess.

3. I *really* enjoy being suckled and it is a huge turn on to share milk with someone. The nursing bond - whether infant or adult - is very profound. I am not having anymore kids, but look forward to an adult nursing bond.

4. I am a major human physiology geek and want to know the ins and outs of how it works to stimulate the body to do something natural, in an untraditional way.

5. Nipple orgasms are amazing and expressing keeps me hot and bothered often :devil:

I have not fully begun to manually express yet but have been doing short hand expressions over the last day, and spent some time with it in the shower this morning. It is remarkable how my breasts swell with small amounts of massage. I am assuming this is blood rushing to the area with the high degree of stimulation happening. This reminded me of something I had forgotten - I will need to invest in larger bras. I don't know why or how that particularly slipped my mind, but I admit I am excited to buy new underwear :D

Today I went over the nutrition information I have to aid in the induction process. I will get more into diet another day, but managed to purchase this morning the supplements I plan to utilize. I am going to really try and make it without domperidone or other prescription meds. I know it can be done but it can take more time. I happen to have nothing but time, so here's hoping :)

I am putting together a shopping list of foods that aid in lactation and I will talk more about that later this week as I finish diet preparations. I've started taking a prenatal vitamin - which also supports healthy nursing. Many women begin taking fenugreek to help with supply, but from what I have learned about it, it is more helpful to increase an already established supply more than aid in inducing. I decided on a goats rue supplement, as it aids in maintaining supply when the time comes, but also helps build mammary tissue.

On a side note, this website was passed along to me as it had some useful information, but then it also had things like this.

And now I feel the need to measure my nipples.

*subscribe*

I love this thread, Sally! I have been very curious about this myself and find it highly erotic. I look forward to reading more about your adventures in nursing.

*subscribe*

I love this thread, Sally! I have been very curious about this myself and find it highly erotic. I look forward to reading more about your adventures in nursing.

Thanks, minthe! I am excited. My supplements and herbs are arriving today hopefully. I am doing much more prep this time around so I am not struggling as I go. There is so much information out there and trying to figure out what is best for myself is a real guessing game, but I think I have the right combination of herb, supplement, and pumping to start with. I am going to begin supplementing first and give it a few days to get into my system before starting. Normally I would jump right in but previous (but not current) health concerns leave me on the cautious side. I want my body primed for the pump ;)

I also plan to go bra shopping this afternoon.

My neighbor had to re-lactate when her son was one. He suddenly had allergic reactions to every food they tried. The Dr. told her to give him only breast milk. She was able to re-lactate fairly easily, perhaps because she had only stopped it for a few weeks. She did complain of sweating though. Said the process made her really overheat.

My neighbor had to re-lactate when her son was one. He suddenly had allergic reactions to every food they tried. The Dr. told her to give him only breast milk. She was able to re-lactate fairly easily, perhaps because she had only stopped it for a few weeks. She did complain of sweating though. Said the process made her really overheat.

I imagine she was able to do it so easily since she has just been nursing previously. The sweats come from the hormones involved in breastfeeding. I'm wondering how my body will react as I get close to reaching milk production.

I have begun to supplement now that they have arrived and now I patiently await my pump, which I ordered yesterday :) The one I ordered is hospital grade, quiet, portable, and cordless. Woohoo! This will make it easier to pump anywhere really. I decided on this one for convenience since I work and travel frequently. I like that it is hospital grade and has many different settings ranging from gentle latch to deep latch.

Now that the search for a decent pump is complete I am focusing on diet. I have compiled a list of foods that help aid the process of lactation, and I even handed it out to clients in the past. Mind you, it isn't important to eat or drink everything on the list, but it is a good place to begin. I plan to make a lot of smoothies because I have trouble meeting my goal for greens in the day. Blending them into something tasty is incredibly helpful. I did this while pregnant with my kids as well and didn't bother with a prenatal vitamin.

Meeting your daily nutrient requirements:

Water
Many women are very thirsty during breastfeeding, a sign that you need
to drink plenty. I was always told half of your body weight in ounces if you can. Water is the best source of fluid, so include a large share of your fluids as
water.

Protein
Breast milk contains a lot of protein. So you will need to include
extra protein in your diet, from foods such as:

Meat, fish and chicken
Eggs
Cheese and yogurt
Nuts and seeds
Legumes, for example, lentils, baked beans and split peas.

Calcium
Calcium is another major ingredient in breast milk. You will need
extra calcium from:

Dairy products such as milk, cheese and yogurt. These are the
best source of calcium.
Soymilk fortified with calcium - look for a brand that includes
around 120mg calcium per 100ml soymilk.
You need around four servings of calcium-rich foods daily. If your diet
does not contain plenty of calcium, your body will use calcium from
your bones to meet your increased needs. This may weaken your bones
and increase the risk of developing osteoporosis later in life.

Folate and vitamins
Breastfeeding also increases your need for:

Folate - for example, leafy green vegetables such as spinach,
broccoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts.
Vitamin C - for example, citrus fruits, berries, tropical fruit,
tomatoes, capsicum and potatoes.
Vitamin A - for example, dark green and yellow vegetables such
as broccoli, carrots and pumpkin.

Vegetarians
A vegetarian diet can meet the nutritional needs of a breastfeeding
woman as long as it includes a variety of foods, such as:

Legumes
Eggs, milk, cheese and yogurt
Wholegrain breads and cereals
Fruit and vegetables.

I am planning to make a grocery list to stock up on a few things and then blend smoothies ahead of time to freeze and pull out as needed.

Happy lactating!

lactation

Sally,
I find this entire topic so fascinating. The information you're providing is priceless and I will follow your adventure to its conclusion. As a man, my interests are purely selfish. I am interested of course in feeding myself. I've tasted it and to be able to do this would be a dream... I don't know a woman who would do it for me but you never know.

Sally,
I find this entire topic so fascinating. The information you're providing is priceless and I will follow your adventure to its conclusion. As a man, my interests are purely selfish. I am interested of course in feeding myself. I've tasted it and to be able to do this would be a dream... I don't know a woman who would do it for me but you never know.

Thank you sdsioux! Happy to have you here with me on my quest for milk :)

You’re very brave!

Earlier last year I was in the process of re-lactating after having weaned my youngest about a year prior. This past fall I fractured my clavicle and from then on stopped the process of inducing, which was unfortunate because my breasts were swelling and I was getting so close ... so much effort and time lost.

Now that my injury is healed, I am beginning the process again, and I decided to start this thread to document my lactation induction journey.

I plan to share here where I am in my journey and how it is going, what is working, different techniques for expressing, physiology, foods and supplements that help, etc.

I am not a lactation consultant and nothing that I post should be considered medical advice. I am however well-versed in breastfeeding and physiology of the breasts and process of lactation with training and experience as a midwife. I am happy to answer questions if anyone has any, or feel free to drop in and cheer me on.

I remember all those feelings you described while breastfeeding and I also remember feeling odd and upset for feel those feelings. I’m looking forward to following your journey...

Thank you for doing this!

A conversation about adult nursing relationships (ANR), inducing, and suckling came about earlier and inspired me to include some information about proper latching for that lucky partner that gets to explore the breast with their mouth.

Here is a compilation of info that I have compiled in my own search:

1. When initially beginning to latch-on to the breast, the suckler should gradually build their tolerance, as tired muscles do not maintain a solid latch. When the adult suckler's mouth and jaw become fatigued, they typically adopt a "lazy latch", meaning without realizing it, they begin to lightly use their teeth for a bit of natural leverage. No one wants to develop poor habits, so start with short periods of suckling.

2. The instructional latching videos created for mothers of nursing infants are still helpful for participants in ANRs. Adult sucklers need to ensure their upper lip strikes the breast just above the nipple, with the majority of their mouth falling below the areola. The action of coaxing the milk from beneath the areola, versus trying to "suck it from the nipple", is also consistent in all nursing relationships.

3. Since an adult mouth is much larger than that of an infant's, an adult suckler will not be able to duplicate the nipple placement explained in traditional latching videos. A baby's mouth is so compact that the hard and soft palates consume the majority of its structure. So, the adult nipple obviously reaches a great distance into the infant's mouth or well into the soft palate.
The adult mouth has a much larger surface area, and the size of the hard and soft palates vary greatly, making nipple placement a much more variable factor. Since there is no scientific data regarding adult suckling, the exact nipple placement in an ANR is always going to rely on trial and error. EARLY communication is key. Discomfort should be immediately discussed and patiently problem solved. Remember, once poor habits develop, it's more difficult for the adult suckler to learn new strategies than it is to develop successful ones early on.

4. Pay close attention to body placement when problem solving latch difficulties. When working on latch problems, try to be side-by-side. Take time to make sure you're comfortable. The suckler is frequently too high on the nurser's body, so if there's continued latch discomfort, the suckler should move down towards the nursing partner's feet until the partner expresses greater latching comfort. It may surprise the couple how low the suckler is eventually placed before the latch feels right. Also, the suckler may have to switch sides before nursing the second breast. Sometimes a latch is not comfortable nursing both breasts from the same side; be flexible and start without preconceived notions until the latch feels free from discomfort.

5. Latching can feel uncomfortable during the Newman-Goldfarb protocol and during certain phases of the menstrual cycle. Higher levels of estrogen can cause nipple sensitivity for many women, which complicates the process of achieving a comfortable latch. If a normally painless latch feels uncomfortable, consider current estrogen levels as a potential cause.

6. Lower milk levels can contribute to a much less comfortable latch. The early stages of establishing a milk supply are generally some of the most difficult phases of latching. However, the more the glands and ducts develop, the more successful latching becomes, and the less discomfort suction causes. Hang in there! Use breast gel packs whenever possible to relieve discomfort and don't let those nipples crack.

https://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/protocols4print.shtml
http://breastnotes.com/breastfeeding/BrFd-ReLac-GetStarted.htm
https://dreamsofmilk.com/the-importance-of-correct-latch/

Happy Latching :)

I remember all those feelings you described while breastfeeding and I also remember feeling odd and upset for feel those feelings. I’m looking forward to following your journey...

Thank you for doing this!

Initially I felt that shame too. It didn't seem right to feel aroused while nursing my child and took me a very long time to get past that. It really never was something completely on my radar until sometime last year when I began to explore the ANR aspect of lactating (and I have been around a LOT of nursing women over the years). Thanks for following and for the motivation to continue!

Earlier last year I was in the process of re-lactating after having weaned my youngest about a year prior. This past fall I fractured my clavicle and from then on stopped the process of inducing, which was unfortunate because my breasts were swelling and I was getting so close ... so much effort and time lost.

Wow. I am glad that you have recovered from the injury. And hot thread btw :) :rose:

Yesterday I began to take the supplement goat's rue - which, in the lactation world, helps to build up breast tissue and also increases milk supply when it eventually does come in. In the morning I take this, along with a prenatal vitamin. Well, yesterday I stood up after using the toilet and my pee was fluorescent yellow. It was a bit shocking lol. I figured it was because I started the new supplement and whatever was left over my body didn't process and considered it waste.

I did a search on goat's rue today and didn't realize that it is also an herbal diuretic, which promotes urine flow and healthy kidney function. Additionally, it contains plant compounds that may offer hope for maintaining healthy glucose metabolism. I had no idea! My kidneys are happy today. Everything coming out is clear-ish once again. It is good to know that they are healthy and functioning properly. :)

I am still eagerly awaiting the arrival of my pump, but in the meantime hand expression and massage have been enjoyable :D

Information on Goat's Rue

Subscribed

Your posts and insights are always fun. I'm curious what was that spark that shook you from your previous mindset regarding lactation. In any event, I'm looking forward to accompanying you on this journey along the Milky Way.

Your posts and insights are always fun. I'm curious what was that spark that shook you from your previous mindset regarding lactation. In any event, I'm looking forward to accompanying you on this journey along the Milky Way.

Thanks for stopping in! Conversations with a milky enthusiast began my shift in mindset. It encouraged me to look at the sensual side of lactation aside from its main function, and it made me feel a lot better about the feelings I was experiencing while nursing. I read blogs, watched some erotic videos, and talked to other like-minded folks and realized I wasn't a total weirdo. :) It is now on the forefront of my mind. :devil:

For the last few days I have been looking for information on the effects of fasting while nursing and/or inducing. I have been doing a 16 hour daily fast with an 8 hour eating window for a few months now which has helped keep inflammation out of my body. I don't want to give that up if I don't have to.

Though this article focuses on nursing mothers, it can also be applied to inducers. Basically, it emphasizes the importance of staying hydrated since breast milk is mostly water. I am finding that with the hormone fluctuations a longer eating window may be best since I am trying to mimic certain hormonal patterns. I will have to play around with this to see what works, without it causing other issues.

Glad I located this info!

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/fasting/

Happy Lactating :devil:

For the last few days I have been looking for information on the effects of fasting while nursing and/or inducing. I have been doing a 16 hour daily fast with an 8 hour eating window for a few months now which has helped keep inflammation out of my body. I don't want to give that up if I don't have to.

Though this article focuses on nursing mothers, it can also be applied to inducers. Basically, it emphasizes the importance of staying hydrated since breast milk is mostly water. I am finding that with the hormone fluctuations a longer eating window may be best since I am trying to mimic certain hormonal patterns. I will have to play around with this to see what works, without it causing other issues.

Glad I located this info!

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/fasting/

Happy Lactating :devil:

Drink up :)

Back