Movies that are better than the book

Just to make the point that pi isn’t that special. 2^0.5 is likely Normal as well and 3^0.5. Most Irrational Numbers are and most Real Numbers are Irrational.

Em

Um...

I like pie.

(I feel so uneducated reading this discussion 😳 )

I don't have a basement.

Or friends.

I might be asking for two of my characters, and they are fully aware their relationship is toxic as fuck.
So they're chained up in your head?

That's sweet, people die in mine.

Besides, I'm more into being chained than doing the chaining.
I've leaned more towards being the sub the last few years.

Unfortunately for me, my wife isn't good at inflicting pain or even acting mean.

I've failed as a role model.

Just make sure you put me as your beneficiary on that policy. You might want to take care of it like early Monday morning if you make it that long. :nana: :p :kiss:

Or your wife is just nice.

I'm also not into inflicting pain on people or being mean. Sassy, snarky as hell, and a major brat, but not mean.
I'm good at being verbally degrading which she enjoys. I'm good at inflicting pain as well(within reason and rules of course) but after her previous health issues we've toned that down, and what she's going through now well...unless I get rough with myself there's not much going on.

:( sorry LC
I'm good at being verbally degrading which she enjoys. I'm good at inflicting pain as well(within reason and rules of course) but after her previous health issues we've toned that down, and what she's going through now well...unless I get rough with myself there's not much going on.

Life definitely sucks sometimes, especially when outside circumstances cause issues that can't easily be rectified.
Long term prognosis is good, but she has some shit to go through to get there. She's the one hurting I just do the best I can to help.

Her third bout of cancer(the first one in 2014 almost took her and we went through hell and back) lost her sister in 2007(at the age of 35) her mother, father all had several rounds of it before passing, a cousin who killed himself during lockdown and she's still as I tell her "annoyingly positive" with a great attitude.

She deserves better. Meanwhile asshats like me just truck along, perfectly healthy. Makes you wonder

My father has been blessed with good health until about 11 years ago. He had emergency surgery and two more intestinal surgeries for the same issue. But he recovered and has been great until 3 months ago. He started having intense pain in his joints. For the first two months, he exercised the pain away. In the last five or six weeks, the pain doesn't go away. He then decides to go see his doctor. Guess what, his doctor has moved away. So, he had to wait for his card to have the new doctor's name on it before he could go to that doctor. This isn't the rule of Medicare or his insurance. It's the rule of the clinic where the new doctor works. So, hopefully, this week, he'll find out what kind of arthritis he has and get a medication that will work.

It worries me because it hit him all at once. His rash that he can't seem to get rid of may be from Osteoarthritis. But why'd it hit him out of the blue like it did?
Long term prognosis is good, but she has some shit to go through to get there. She's the one hurting I just do the best I can to help.

Her third bout of cancer(the first one in 2014 almost took her and we went through hell and back) lost her sister in 2007(at the age of 35) her mother, father all had several rounds of it before passing, a cousin who killed himself during lockdown and she's still as I tell her "annoyingly positive" with a great attitude.

She deserves better. Meanwhile asshats like me just truck along, perfectly healthy. Makes you wonder

Sympathy to all suffering health issues. I have hypertension and bipolar disorder myself. Epilepsy, dementia, as well as various other forms of cancer in the family. Plenty of friends and relationships of questionable quality. I’m a gamer too, and by most accounts a good man.

My father has been blessed with good health until about 11 years ago. He had emergency surgery and two more intestinal surgeries for the same issue. But he recovered and has been great until 3 months ago. He started having intense pain in his joints. For the first two months, he exercised the pain away. In the last five or six weeks, the pain doesn't go away. He then decides to go see his doctor. Guess what, his doctor has moved away. So, he had to wait for his card to have the new doctor's name on it before he could go to that doctor. This isn't the rule of Medicare or his insurance. It's the rule of the clinic where the new doctor works. So, hopefully, this week, he'll find out what kind of arthritis he has and get a medication that will work.

It worries me because it hit him all at once. His rash that he can't seem to get rid of may be from Osteoarthritis. But why'd it hit him out of the blue like it did?
I'm sorry to hear that, and that clinic needs a visit from an attorney.
I hope everything works out. Your father sounds like the same type of stubborn asshole I am.
Arms hanging off, "Nah, its fine, just staple it up there."

Here's to it being nothing serious.

Sympathy to all suffering health issues. I have hypertension and bipolar disorder myself. Epilepsy, dementia, as well as various other forms of cancer in the family. Plenty of friends and relationships of questionable quality. I’m a gamer too, and by most accounts a good man.
My ex wife is bi polar and never sought help, still around by on marriage 4( she's hot, so she keeps finding them) but an all around mess who still refuses to take medication. My older daughter has it as well, but does take meds....most of he time. When she decides for whatever reason not to, its easy to tell, she's literally not the same person.

Last time she was on an unmedicated bender, I asked her about it, she told me it was none of my fucking business and I told her had a choice, take your pills or I'll pour them down your throat. After the stream of profanity that earned me I went low and said "You really are your mother's kid."

Hit her hard enough to go back on them. I got a "Thanks for being an asshole, Dad. I knew I could count on you."

I'm still trying to figure out if that's a compliment or not.

And while my laughing face seems widely inappropriate, it isn't. You nailed Pops.
I'm sorry to hear that, and that clinic needs a visit from an attorney.
I hope everything works out. Your father sounds like the same type of stubborn asshole I am.
Arms hanging off, "Nah, its fine, just staple it up there."

Here's to it being nothing serious.

I like the 2015 film "Victor Frankenstein." The movie tells the story from the perspective of Frankenstein's assistant, Igor. I prefer it to the original book, which I couldn't fully grasp in school. Then for my assignment I used https://edubirdie.com/examples/frankenstein/, where I found book reviews. But I can watch the film over and over again, and it is more optimistic than the novel, and it has elements of humor and romance that soften the tragic nature of the story.

Last edited:
While not a movie, the series "Altered Carbon" on Netflix (the first season only) was better than the book.

Maybe something to think about as writers.

The one that is always cited is Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. But I have two Kubricks.

The Shining. Tried the book like three times. Never could get into it. I know King hates how Jack is a monster from the start, rather than a man struggling with demons (alcohol in King’s autobiographical case). But I find the movie compelling.

2001 - I know it was just inspired by The Sentinel and also that Clarke was involved in the screenplay. But still the director took it in a whole new (and deeply visual) direction.

This is not 100% correct. There indeed is a book titled "2001: A Space Odyssey". Clarke and Kubrick wrote the novel concurrently with the screenplay, but for some reason only Clarke is named author.

I have read the book before seeing the movie and I swear I've enjoyed the book more. Yes, there are some incredible visual effects in the movie, but that is all for me. Just the length of the movie's opening kills it for me even though I love Richard Strauss' Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30. first section called "Sonnenaufgang".

What about you?

Em

In general, I think it heavily depends on whether the person sees the movie first or reads the book first.

But, I am yet to see a movie that I would enjoy more than the book and I am consciously avoiding reading book after seeing movie or vice versa. For example, although Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman were brilliant in the movie Papillon, it was not even remotely comparable (in my opinion) to Henri Charrière's Papillon novel.

Back