Mixing categories

I too cannot recommend category jumping. As a reader, I would avoid any story by a writer not disciplined enough to know where the overall arc of their story belonged and stick with that category.
TLDR: don't jump categories in the one story. Write different stories.
My opinion is rooted in established publishing "etiquette" of the mainstream literary world. You would not find different chapters of a single story placed in different sections of the library or bookstore. If the stories are episodic or a series, that might change things, but not a single story itself. Simply because this site allows for posting in different categories doesn't make it right or reasonable to do so.

I see this type of quandary with writers a natural byproduct of the piecemeal approach to writing that results from impatience. When the story is finished, the right category for posting it should be clear.

EDIT (to add):

A piecemeal approach to writing should not be confused with a piecemeal approach to the posting of a completed story. There are a lot of viable reasons why a writer might choose to post chapters or parts in a spread out fashion over a period of time. This is fine as long as the posting doesn't begin until the entire story is completed, and is still not an excuse to post parts of the same story in multiple categories.

Last edited:
If you mean putting one story over several catagories; people have done it, but it's kinda ill-advised. As far as the rest about making a fetish gumbo story... well... I already talked about that before.

Back