Makeup Freaks

Makeup Freaks, a Product Review is fresh off the presses!

Eyes Lips Face Mineral Face Primer

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/face/primer/mineral_face_primer

I've used a lot of primers before, as I live in Oklahoma... and for those of you aware of the hot, sticky summers that are totally unique to the southern and western United States, Primers Are A Must Have!

The page at eyeslipsface.com states:

"Transform your face into a flawless and smooth canvas with the Mineral Infused Face Primer. Developed to combat against excess oil, flaky dryness, enlarged pores and fine lines. This clear multipurpose skin primer will prepare your skin so makeup goes on evenly for a long lasting satin finish."

I was skeptical at the quality of the product at the price, for Six US dollars you can get this .49 oz bottle. It doesn't -sound- like a lot, but one pump covered my entire face, eyes, and half of my neck. A little TRULY goes a long way!

I've used it every day for the last week and a half, and have been really impressed and pleasantly surprised. Not only does it make my foundation, concealer and powder go on very smooth and clean-looking, but it literally made it last ALL DAY! Even during heat and humidity of well over 100 degrees!

I also seemed to use a LOT less powder to 'touch-up' shine and oiliness on my T-Zone, which really was an added perk, the primer seemed to 'normalize' the oiliness of my T-Zone and suppress my oil glands from being overactive in the heat.

Not only that, but it seemed to 'seal in' my moisturizer and keep my face silky-smooth and moist for hours after applying!

Tips for using this product:

On a CLEAN, freshly moisturized face, use ONE PUMP (no more!) and spread between the fingertips of both hands.

Rub over entire face and neck until the product has been absorbed.

Wait about 15 seconds for the product to 'sink in' and apply cosmetics as usual.

Ladies, you have 6 dollars to spare. Get this primer. Try it, you'll love it.

Satindesire, I think it's nice that you've taken the time to put this together and answer people's questions.

But you've obviously plagiarized a significant amount of the content in here. I've counted 6 websites that I was able to identify just from a simple c&p google search. (It wasn't hard to figure out. Every time you got too technical, I knew you hadn't written it.) For at least one of your posts, you lifted verbatim from two separate webpages. You mashed them together and edited in some of your own text (I think), which is almost worse.

NO citations. Not a single one. C'mon. You had to have known what you were doing. The right and wrong things has been covered at least since kindergarten and plagiarism specifically is a huge hot button in high schools and colleges.

I don't come here too often anymore, and when I do, I usually just read and lurk. But this is a huge pet peeve of mine. I can't stand for people who steal and lie, and by claiming this information as your own and presenting it that way to the girls in here who are asking you questions (you really think they couldn't just google it for themselves if you didn't know the answer? I guess it's nice of you to do the legwork, but not with such blatant dishonesty), that's exactly what your doing.

Plagiarism isn't against the law. But copyright infringement is. I suggest you edit and change your game in the future.

Because these people DO deserve recognition for THEIR work, here are the websites that satindesire copied her information from:

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/hyperpigmentation.html

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Brown14.html

http://www.fashion-icon.com/brazil.html

http://www.darkcircles.net/under-eye.html

http://www.brenfertrophies.com/how-to-get-rid-of-blackheads

http://hairremoval.about.com/od/waxing/a/waxing101.htm

And if you're going to go to the trouble of google searching everything else that's posted, might want to double check your spelling. It's "eczema."

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I recently dyed my hair a new color. While I love the new color, it makes my face look a little washed out. I've never had this problem before! Can you suggest a good bronzer for a person with light skin and a cool complexion? I'm too vain about wrinkles to tan and too lazy to self-tan. Thanks!

~Bunny

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I recently dyed my hair a new color. While I love the new color, it makes my face look a little washed out. I've never had this problem before! Can you suggest a good bronzer for a person with light skin and a cool complexion? I'm too vain about wrinkles to tan and too lazy to self-tan. Thanks!

~Bunny

Dear BiBunny,

Bronzer has to be one of the hardest cosmetic item to purchase. I'm not really sure why, seeing how long bronzers have been on the market, but there's still not a huge amount of selection in comparison to say, foundations and rouges! I get more questions about Bronzer than any other complexion-building item. Not only that, but they're incredibly easy to over-apply and REALLY hard to straighten up once you have!

Persons with cool complexions are really difficult to buy bronzers for, I won't lie to comfort you :(. Most bronzers have a heavy golden or orangey tint to them which make cool complected girls look sallow and possibly even sick! Finding a bronzer for my true-neutral complexion was a BITCH, so I understand your plight with first hand experience at the frustration that it can cause.

First, you need to promise yourself that even if the first two or three bronzers you try don't work, you won't give up. Next, you have to promise yourself that if you've spent more money looking for a perfect bronzer than you did on your first vehicle, you won't give up! :D

Next, you need to make sure you have the correct tools to USE your bronzer once you have it.

Bronzer isn't like mattifying powder that we use over foundation. It's dead easy to over-apply and never looks good without precise control and a light hand. You'll need the biggest, fluffiest powder brush you can get your hands on with VERY SOFT BRISTLES! Make sure you test out several large powder application brushes to find the -softest- one you can find.

The softer the brush, the less pigment it can pick up. This will allow you to apply VERY small amounts, and build the color slowly until you 'hit the mark', and will minimize your chance of over-application.

You'll also need a sponge foundation applicator to blend the edges of the powder. This will pick up excess pigment and help blend it into the skin properly, to minimize lines of demarcation. Blending is the MOST important thing to remember when it comes to professional-looking cosmetic application, especially when it comes to complexion-building things like bronzers and rouges.

I can't recommend any specific bronzer to you because I don't have a cool complexion, but I can point you in the right direction. Cover Girl, Physicians Formula and L'Oreal all three have several different shades of bronzer that are easily accessible at your local drugstore or Wal-Mart. When comparing a complexion color to your skin that you CANNOT open, compare it to the color of the palm of your hand.

If the color seems like it would 'match' well with the color in the palm of your hand, then go ahead and purchase it. If you want to make sure you are getting your money's worth (just in case you're a baller on a budget, like me!) then make sure you're buying at a store that has a GOOD return policy.

Take the color home and apply it to the back of your hand with a small brush. If the color matches your complexion (cool to cool, warm to warm, and true neutral to true neutral) then you should try it out over your makeup.

Many girls don't know when the right time IS to apply bronzer. I usually say the safest time to apply it is after powder and before eyeshadow or rouge. Bronzer should be the FOURTH complexion builder you apply, AFTER Foundation, Concealer, Powder.

If you overapply the bronzer, don't fret. You -may- be able to fix it, if you blend the color in with a clean foundation sponge. This might pick up enough pigment to help even it out. Once you blend the bronzer out, apply another dusting of regular face mattifying powder, then check the color. If it's still too heavy, you'll have to take off your makeup and try again.

This is why I have girls apply Bronzer before any 'serious' makeup starts. The sooner you can check your work, the less work you'll have to wash off in case you overapply.

Always look at your makeup after it's done in NATURAL SUNLIGHT. If the color seems right, then you're good! You've found yourself a good bronzer and deserve kudos. If after a few tries, you just can't seem to get it right, take it back and try another bronzer.

Don't fret, because you WILL eventually find the right shade for you. It may take a few tries, but it'll be worth it in the end.

If you have any more questions about Bronzer or anything else, please let me know!

Makeup, skin and hair care, and beauty advice that anyone can use.

How to darken and deepen your eyes...Without looking overdone!

Tightlining:

Tightlining is the first step in really making your eyes pop, it's a makeup technique that has been used for decades to really emphasize the lash line without emphasizing your eye makeup.

Tightlining is easy to do, simply take the index finger of your non-dominant hand (the hand you don't write with) and gently pull upwards on your eyelid. Using a waterproof eyeliner, line the "water line" of your lid, at the base of your lashes. Waterproof eyeliner is practically necessary, unless you don't mind reapplying in a few hours, due to the eye's wet nature.

Question - I used to do this with my eyeliner, but I was told it's bad for your eyes. My eyes are already bad enough, so I quit. Now I'm confused.
:confused:

Oh yeah. The main reason I came here.

Dear makeup fairy,

I've got casual, just sitting in the pickup line eye makeup down, but I'm not sure what I should do for 'going out' makeup. I was wondering what you suggest.

Thanks

Last edited:
Question - I used to do this with my eyeliner, but I was told it's bad for your eyes. My eyes are already bad enough, so I quit. Now I'm confused.

It can cause infections, and if you have sensitive eyes like me, they'll turn red and watery if you do it. So I don't do it, either.

Dear makeup fairy,

I've got casual, just sitting in the pickup line eye makeup down, but I'm not sure what I should do for 'going out' makeup. I was wondering what you suggest.

Thanks

I'm not the makeup fairy, but liquid eyeliner! And dark gray or navy blue eyeshadow on bottom! With silver or pink on the top! And a fun color in the crease!

Sorry, your coloring is very similar to mine, so I had to respond. :eek:

Dear Graceanne,

It -can- be bad for your eyes if you neglect your pencils, wear contact lenses and don't use eyeliner specifically okayed by an eye doctor to use.

If you neglect your pencils (don't sharpen them regularly), share them with anyone who has an eye infection, or wear contacts and use non-contact-approved eyeliner, tightlining CAN cause problems. However, if you're careful, you'll be 100% okay.

Dear makeup fairy,

Thanks

Shimmery beige eyeshadow as a base. Very dark brown with golden shimmer in the crease and outer V, and smudged into the lower lashes. Mid-brown with beige shimmer on the lid. Beige eyeliner on the lower waterline. Black liner on the upper waterline. Black liquid cat eye'd out on upper lashes. Two coats of black mascara on both upper and lower lashes. False eyelashes on top.

With those gorgeous eyes of yours, you're going to look SO KILLER! Try it out, see if you like it. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited:
It can cause infections, and if you have sensitive eyes like me, they'll turn red and watery if you do it. So I don't do it, either.
I do have sensitive eyes, but when i was a teenager i just ignored it until my eyes got used to it. lol

I'm not the makeup fairy, but liquid eyeliner! And dark gray or navy blue eyeshadow on bottom! With silver or pink on the top! And a fun color in the crease!

Sorry, your coloring is very similar to mine, so I had to respond. :eek:

I've never been able to figure out liquid eyeliner. I normally wear gravy or navy blue eyeshadow, but I've been playing with a deep purple recently. I normally wear pink base, even when I'm not wearing anything else, cause it helps make me look more alert and awake.

I'm just not sure where to put it. It always looks weird when I do it.

Liquid eyeliner is basically a pencil that you cannot smudge. So you have to have a steady hand and want that sharp edge to the line, rather than a softer line that fades into the skin like pencil.

Most girls use it on the upper eyelash line, which is totally correct. I usually say don't use it on the lower lash line, as it can look incredibly harsh and not flattering at all. Just follow your natural eye contour along the lashline, it's very simple.

Dear Graceanne,

It -can- be bad for your eyes if you neglect your pencils, wear contact lenses and don't use eyeliner specifically okayed by an eye doctor to use.

If you neglect your pencils (don't sharpen them regularly), share them with anyone who has an eye infection, or wear contacts and use non-contact-approved eyeliner, tightlining CAN cause problems. However, if you're careful, you'll be 100% okay.

I wear contacts. I'll double check my eyeliners. I take care of my makeup, though and I don't share. Or I try not to, I do have a preteen who sometimes helps herself.

Shimmery beige eyeshadow as a base. Very dark brown with golden shimmer in the crease and outer V, and smudged into the lower lashes. Mid-brown with beige shimmer on the lid. Beige eyeliner on the lower waterline. Black liner on the upper waterline. Black liquid cat eye'd out on upper lashes. Two coats of black mascara on both upper and lower lashes. False eyelashes on top.

With those gorgeous eyes of yours, you're going to look SO KILLER! Try it out, see if you like it. Let me know how it goes.

I'll give it a shot. I normally stay away from browns, since warm colors make me yellow, so I'll have to find me some cool browns. It'll take some practice before I am willing to put up pictures, but when I get it to where I'm willing to show it I'll post some photos.

I have heard of one woman who record her make-up proposition with a video camera and place this movies on youtube. Then she sent address to her clients (she was a make-ups seller). Without purposes she soon gained a great popularity and was able to open her own cosmetic shop...

Makeup thread is OK for sure - let's learn from the best ;)

I have heard of one woman who record her make-up proposition with a video camera and place this movies on youtube. Then she sent address to her clients (she was a make-ups seller). Without purposes she soon gained a great popularity and was able to open her own cosmetic shop...

Makeup thread is OK for sure - let's learn from the best ;)

Yes, her name was Lauren Luke, she's Panacea81 on youtube. I'm an avid follower of her and have watched her rise from a hobbyiest to a star with great pride that she has managed to go as far as she has with nothing more than a camera and the desire to help women apply their cosmetics correctly.

I've never been able to figure out liquid eyeliner. I normally wear gravy or navy blue eyeshadow, but I've been playing with a deep purple recently. I normally wear pink base, even when I'm not wearing anything else, cause it helps make me look more alert and awake.

Do your foundation and whatever you use on your eyes to set your eye makeup. Then use your liquid liner. I know a lot of people say to do eyeshadow first, then liner, but if you're unsure about your ability to apply liquid liner, it's easier to take a wet Q-tip to touch up some mistakes and use eyeshadow to soften the whole effect than it is to have to start over completely. Also, there are different kinds of liquid liners. Some have a little brush-like thing in a pot of liner, which is more difficult to control. The ones that look like Sharpies are easier if you're a little shaky.

I love purple on my crease. Also medium blue, emerald green, fuschia (sounds bad, but it's not), things like that.

I'm not sure about brown, personally. I have yet to find a shade of brown that makes me look like I don't have massive liver spots on my eyelids. But it looks good on some people.

I wish I had some high-quality pics of my fully made-up face, but I don't. :( And I can't take any now because Kitty's got the good camera.

Last edited:
I have very little skill, just kind of average makeup user -I went to a class at a local department store but they were not quite sure what to do with a more mature woman -

Dear NETimeGirl,

Makeup for videos needs to be different than makeup for 'real life'. Eyelashes need to be emphasized and things like contouring the face become much more important. Bright lights needed for videos wash the face out, making it become ghostlike and 'blank' looking.

I'm not aware of your experience level in facial contouring or applying false lashes. If you give me some idea of your skill level, I can base my reply on that.

I have very little skill, just kind of average makeup user -I went to a class at a local department store but they were not quite sure what to do with a more mature woman -

Thank you so much for getting back to me, sweetheart!

It's hard to teach contouring with just text alone, so I went online and found a good contouring video tutorial for you. It's on youtube and I'm a big fan of these sisters, nice British girls who are both professional makeup artists. I think you'll enjoy the video and learn a LOT! ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwnYThqUBB0

As for false eyelashes, have you ever applied them before?

Thank you so much for getting back to me, sweetheart!

It's hard to teach contouring with just text alone, so I went online and found a good contouring video tutorial for you. It's on youtube and I'm a big fan of these sisters, nice British girls who are both professional makeup artists. I think you'll enjoy the video and learn a LOT! ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwnYThqUBB0

Cool, thanks.

As for false eyelashes, have you ever applied them before?

No. I'm not sure . . .

I'm allergic to almost everything. I'm worried about the adhesive used in false eyelashes. I mean, I'm even allergic to the adhesive in band aids. I buy hypo allergenic everything but mascara. I'm allergic to hypo allergenic mascara. Only in my world.:rolleyes:

Cool, thanks.

No. I'm not sure . . .

I'm allergic to almost everything. I'm worried about the adhesive used in false eyelashes. I mean, I'm even allergic to the adhesive in band aids. I buy hypo allergenic everything but mascara. I'm allergic to hypo allergenic mascara. Only in my world.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry grace hon, but I was replying specifically to "NETimeGirl". You are most welcome to the info here, but I wanted to make sure everyone concerned didn't get confused as to who I was posting and to what subject. No offense meant in the LEAST, grace!

Ok, I just finished watching the tutorial. Very helpful, but I don't think I'd go to that extreme of contoring on my face. lol A couple of questions.

I've always used liquid foundation, because it covers my freckles better. She was using powder - which do you think is better?

When she was applying mascara she wiggled her hand horizontally a few times. Why?

I'm sorry grace hon, but I was replying specifically to "NETimeGirl". You are most welcome to the info here, but I wanted to make sure everyone concerned didn't get confused as to who I was posting and to what subject. No offense meant in the LEAST, grace!

Oh, good lord. :rolleyes:

That explains why I couldn't figure out why you'd link that to me. *sigh*

I was trying to be polite and watch, cause I asked and it's rude not to listen to advice you ask for, and I still saw some cool stuff.

Oh, good lord. :rolleyes:

That explains why I couldn't figure out why you'd link that to me. *sigh*

I was trying to be polite and watch, cause I asked and it's rude not to listen to advice you ask for, and I still saw some cool stuff.

NO problem! I'm really sorry about the mix-up. I can still answer those questions, though.

No foundation in the world that would look natural in sunlight will cover the prominent freckles I have on my cheeks, so I don't use foundation to try to cover them. Plus, many people actually find freckles 'charming', so it's kind of a losing battle either way. Only extremely heavily pigmented foundations that professionals use to cover things like hyper-pigmentation and scarring can actually totally cover freckles, so it's best to use the LIGHTEST foundation you can that will still give you the amount of coverage you need to best fit your other needs.

Powder foundations are fast and easy to apply for women who don't have a great deal of time to do multiple steps. They're good for moms and working women who don't want to fuss over multiple products. The cons are serious, though...They tend to be heavy, and unless you are very good at your regular cleanser/exfoliator/moisturizer routine AND using primer before foundation, they tend to cake up in areas that are dry, flaky, and any fine lines and/or wrinkles. I usually say, unless you're in a SUPER hurry, avoid powder foundations.

I prefer women using little to no foundation on an everyday basis, and using just a little concealer where needed. A lot of women don't really NEED the coverage they THINK they need, so a tinted moisturizer and concealer under the eyes and on any blemishes is really the most that your everyday woman needs for clarifying the complexion.

For women with serious skin issues like hyper-pigmentation, scarring and serious redness, liquid foundation with a medium coverage is suitable for everyday wear, and a heavier cream foundation for pictures. Although to be completely honest with you, I find that MINERAL foundations work better for coverage and still maintaining a natural look, PLUS you can LAYER the foundation as many times as you want for the coverage you need!

Now, as for the mascara 'wiggle'...

When applying mascara, the "wiggle" actually forces the bristles deeper into the lashes, coating them more heavily and completely. It's recommended to place the mascara wand at the base of the lashes, and 'wiggle' the want back and forth quickly as you slowly drag the wand through to the tips. This will ensure a more complete coverage of all parts of the lashes, the top included.

Last edited:
I just wanted to back up the foundation thing - honestly, you need it less than you think you do. I use concealer under my eyes (I really do need it there, sigh, although a good eye cream helps) and on the odd spot if I get it. Then rather than covering my skin, I concentrate on highlighting the rest of my face; good blending on the eyes, something shimmery along my cheekbones etc. I'm not wearing foundation in any of my pics - ironically, my skin gets very congested if I use it more than occasionally so I look worse for it in the end. It needs to breathe.

The only time I will use it is if I'm going out for the evening because lots of bright lights/hot clubs and restaurants tend to make my skin rather flushed and shiny. Then I have a Clinique cream version which is very easy to apply (comes in a compact).

And ditto about freckles. Don't try to cover them. They're a part of you and a unique, pretty one at that :)

I don't use enough foundation to totally cover my freckles, it just lightens them a bit. I actually don't use a lot, at all, cause I hate the foundation look - if it doesn't look natural you shouldn't be wearing it.

That said, I wear foundation cause it makes me look more awake. I'm very prone to shadows under my eyes and the like when I'm sick or not feeling well, and that happens routinely. The shadows under my eyes get bad enough that I've had people seriously think I have black eyes. When I really don't feel well I have to use both foundation AND a coverup stick for my eyes. Every picture I've posted on lit I'm wearing foundation and coverup, and it looks natural. You should see me without. lol

I've never bothered with foundation because my husband doesn't like me wearing make-up - he says I look fine without it! However, I have sun damage and would like to start wearing foundation with an spf. The problem is, I have psoriasis on my face, hairline and neck, so I need one that won't dry out my skin. So, what foundation do I choose and also, how do you match it to your skintone?

Back