Looking for story - Ex wife was innocent

dglnow

Experienced
Story takes place in the UK. POV is first person with husband. Husband divorces wife because he thinks she cheated with someone at her work and also was involved with some sort of criminal activity there at her job. I think it was her boss she supposedly cheated with, can't remember for sure. Wife objects that she didn't cheat and gives her version of events including that she did not do anything illegal. But the police are involved and gather evidence that doesn't prove her guilt but puts her story in doubt. So her husband doesn't believe her and divorces her. My memory is that after the divorce she struggled financially.
Months or maybe years later a series of events involve the husband investigating various criminals. He is not a cop but feels compelled to investigate this matter. He somehow finds and recruits two young women and a guy who help him with his investigation. They all travel to (Scotland maybe?) to infiltrate this crime ring for specific reasons but I don't remember now what those reasons were though it may have to do with the criminal activity that his ex wife was accused of.

I don't recall what the details of why he was looking into the crime ring but it may have been to exact revenge for his ex wife (not sure though). So the guy who is helping him sets up a scenario where the two young women play a role and act as if they are involved in something illegal for the benefit of the criminals.
In the end they get the information they were seeking and the husband does exact revenge on one of the criminals and protects his own identity in the process. But also in the process he discovers that the criminals were part of the problem at his ex-wife's company and that the ex-wife was completely innocent of any wrong doing or infidelity.

The husband expresses regret for divorcing his wife and takes her back and apologizes for not believing her story when it happened.
That's all I remember of the story line. The story is a bit long and might even be two chapters (though I don't recall for sure about multiple chapters). I don't know what the category is but it's probably Loving Wives. I don't remember there being much sex in the story. There might be some at the end when the husband reconciles with his wife. But for the bulk of the story there is no sex.

Anyone know the author and title?

Last edited:
Yes, that's it!

Yes, that is the story I was looking for.

I just reread it and realize that I had a few details incorrect in my original question, but the bulk of the story was as I described.

Thank you widower72 for taking the time to reply.

Back