Literotica FAQ discussion

Darkniciad

Literotica Guru
Yeah, I know that I said I wasn't going to do this if nobody chimed in that they cared, but what the hell.

This thread is for discussion of issues with the Literotica FAQ. A lot of it is outdated, some things aren't clear, etc. Feel free to discuss and make your own suggestions/observations.

I'll start out with a couple from the Members section of the FAQ.

The section below appears to be outdated. I don't remember any wait time to have my profile picture updated. As such, there are likely other things that need checking. The image size may have changed. This section also needs the clarification regarding the difference between photos and illustrations with regards to the obscenity laws ( A,C, & D don't apply to illustrations for sure )

I've uploaded my picture to my profile, but it still isn't showing on my public profile. Why is that?

Profile photos are moderated by the webmasters to make sure they comply with our site guidelines and U.S. laws. The guidelines are as follows:
- Legally, we can allow soft nudity, but under current United States law, member photographs may not contain "sexually explicit conduct", which the government defines as:
- Actual or simulated:
(A) sexual intercourse, including genital-genital, oral-genital, anal-genital, or oral-anal, whether between persons of the same or opposite sex;
(B) bestiality;
(C) masturbation;
(D) sadistic or masochistic abuse; or
(E) lascivious exhibition of the genitals or pubic area of any person.
Member images must also comply with these rules:
- All persons in the image must be over 18 years of age.
- Image must not contain URL or other advertisement.
- Image must be no more than 320 pixels wide, 240 pixels high, and under 40k in size. (Note: we will size the image to fit in your profile if we are able to do so. However, if we are unable to shrink the image, you will need to resubmit.)
- Photos must be your original work - i.e. photographs that you yourself took, or paintings or drawings that you yourself created.
If your image does not meet all of the above requirements, your image will not be posted on your public member page and it will be permanently deleted from our servers. In that case, please resubmit an image that meets our criteria.
We try to review photos as quickly as possible - usually within 24 hours. If you have a question about your picture, please feel free to email us.

Another outdated section. Unless I missed something, the Literotica email addys no longer exist. If a replacement for the original was ever put in place, I'm fairly certain that it isn't run by the same outfit. Does the newsletter still exist?

Does Literotica share my personal info?

Never in the history of the site have we shared member email addresses with any other website. The only email you will get from this site is our Monthly Newsletter if you choose to subscribe to it. If you sign up for a Literotica.org email address, that is governed a separate user agreement and is run by one of our technology partners. Please refer to the BigMailBox user agreement in regards to free Literotica.org email addresses.

I think this is a great idea, Dark. Lots of work involved and I might have time this weekend to help out.

Perhaps when someone posts something about the FAQ, post a link to the page to make it easier to access.

Maybe we might even be able to get Laurel involved from time to time to help clarify things. Or maybe this thread might even help get the FAQs updated a bit.

Happy New Year

The information on how to contact Laurel and Manu could be updated, too. Using the contact link or email doesn't seem to be a viable option any longer.

The information on how to contact Laurel and Manu could be updated, too. Using the contact link or email doesn't seem to be a viable option any longer.

Oh I don't know about that. I reported some weird posts and Laurel was back to me personally within 48 hours.

Yep, that was something I was going to get to.

Oh I don't know about that. I reported some weird posts and Laurel was back to me personally within 48 hours.

The contact links on the forum work fine. The "report this" buttons for stories, comments, etc. also work fine. The problem is the "If you need help, contact us" link that leads to the Literotica feedback form ( just like everyone else's feedback form )

I can't speak to whether the addy listed to send submissions or files for audio/illustrated submissions works.

The contact email either doesn't get checked, the spam filter is so draconian that nothing gets through it, or perhaps it pointed to a now defunct literotica.org email addy. Regardless, we hear people complaining all the time that they've used that address and received no response.

Something really needs to be done about it.

Here's a couple from the sumissions part of the FAQ.

It's my understanding that the volunteer editors code is more or less non-functional, so this section really needs updated. Perhaps point to the editor's section of the forum instead of the now defunct editor program?

There are many of these links throughout Lit that should really be changed. I'll try to dig up a list in the future.

I've never written a story before, and I want to make it perfect. How can Literotica help me?

One of our goals at Literotica is to help our writers improve their writing. To that end, we've set up a Writer's Resources area, full of articles and essays focused on erotic writing. In addition, we also have Volunteer Editors who would love to help make your piece perfect before you submit.
Many of our essays are written by our readers and authors. If you'd like to write an essay for the Resources area, simply submit it to the site under "Reviews & Essays". We'd love to read it, and so would the writers!

Outdated in a minor way. The toplists have been expanded with 30 day and one year sections, so the FAQ should be changed to reflect this.

How do I find out how people are voting on other stories?

The voting scores for the Top 500 stories in each category - and overall - are listed in the Top Lists area. Those scores are updated several times a day.
The voting scores are also listed next to the story in its category.

Another little thing I noticed is that the "FAQ" link at the bottom of your member page points to an old version of the FAQ. When that loads, it automatically redirects to the front page of Lit instead of the new version of the FAQ.

Dark, post links to the FAQ for us brain dead people. So we are all working on the same thing.

Dark, post links to the FAQ for us brain dead people. So we are all working on the same thing.

I'll dig things up in a little bit. I'm trying to map out the area around Xantina's woods so I have a little better reference in my head for the next Earth Day story :D

Once I've dug them up, I'll link them in the old posts as well. I believe they each have in-page hyperlinks that can be put on the specific sections.

How to submit an edited story/chapter

The question comes up often: "How do I edit or revise my story once it's posted?"

(From the FAQ: I've re-edited my story and want to replace the posted version with my new edited one. How do I do this?)

Submit the edited story as you normally would only include these steps:

1) Story Title - EDITED

2) Use the same description line if you wish or edit that as well, but - EDIT after isn't necessary.

3) Upload or copy and paste the edited version of your story/chapter into the Story Text field.

I'd also recommend including a note in the Notes field that the submission is an edited version of the story/chapter.

It'll take about the same amount of time for the edited story/chapter to post that it did for the initial posting.

Last edited:
How to delete a story

The question comes up often also: "How do I delete a posted story/chapter?"

There's nothing in the FAQ on this as far as I can see.

If you want to delete a story/chapter, go to the submission page and include these steps:

1) Story Title - DELETE

2) Use the same description line if you wish or just put DELETE for the description

3) Include a note in the Notes field that you want to delete the story/chapter

It'll take about the same amount of time for the story/chapter be removed that it did for it to be posted.

Back