Lavaliered

Rob_Royale

with cheese
So lavaliered was a term I was unaware of until I saw an article on it yesterday. It's an old fraternity practice like pinning but the significant other is actually inducted as a frat member. It seems It's primarily done when the couple are in a long term committed relationship and marriage is planned in their future. It's also mostly done in fraternities but for the sake of fiction why not in sororities as well?

Some obvious scenes are the induction gang bang or her visiting each house member. Or welcoming the new pledges.
What might a sorority do to a prospective husband of one of their members?

Any ideas?

If it’s a sorority from my ficverse I have yet to detail much… the prospect husband has to be vetted by the sorority. “Have you told him all your kinks yet? Including the ones we help you explore? You haven’t? Want some help? If you don’t want to tell him, are you sure he’s the one? We can help you expose and dump him if he isn’t.”

Also the classic “help with wedding plans” scenario. I knew a chick in college who drew her wedding officiant, planner, musicians, cooks, wait staff, and bridesmaids all from her sorority. The guy was an introvert with a small family, so he was glad for the assist.

Writers, be sure to get the house mother in on things. The friendly frat house down the street too. And if necessary the alumni members in local wedding planning organizations.

I remember the idea of "getting lavaliered" from my undergrad day at college back in the Seventies. I remember that it was one step up from being "pinned." I think there was a third level, too, but the term eludes me. I thought it was something sorority girls do to their boyfriends, but it could be the other way around, or both. Either way, it has a nice arcane feel to the word that lends itself well to a story.

I have a story that has been running around in my head for a while, assuming I understand the definition of lavaliered.

The idea is that a recent graduate and his wife have moved to a new area, but he still wants to be involved in the local fraternity and assist fellow brothers. The wife also agrees to help out, and since they are brothers, then she is in a safe place even if her husband is gone.

However, the new fraternity doesn't really follow the old traditions and see her as fresh meat, so they set out to seduce her. Eventually, one of the times the husband is away they end up in a weekend long gang bang, but it's ok since they are brothers after all.

If I were in the latter story, and my “frat brothers” did that to my wife… the term Cain and Abel comes to mind. I would take serious epic revenge. Now if the wife were into it and she got in voluntarily and they respected me and her enough to arrange that first… then maybe revenge would not be necessary. But one could write an excellent “Death Wish” type story about brothers who didn’t care and an OG frat member who fought back against the new corruption of his brotherhood. IMHO.

Or it could be a story where a Frat Brother's Girlfriend entered the fray, but being a Frat Brother was so important to him, that he was willing to let them do anything to his lady. Enraged that her boyfriend would not defend his girlfriend, another Frat Brother sets out to right a wrong and defends her. Suddenly the dynamics in the relationship have changed and she sees this defending Frat Brother as her Knight in ShIning Armor.

I wrote one like this, but it was a historical story written in a 1930's logging camp. A man brings his wife into camp as a prostitute against her will, and a logger in camp sees the ligature marks on her wrists and ankles, and saves her. They ultimately fall in love as they are being chased by the horny camp of loggers. She is ultimately saved when they get to town and marry, and the preacher changes the date to a previous time so that her first marriage was annulled since it was never legal. For forcing another man's wife into prostitution, the first husband gets lynched.

If I were in the latter story, and my “frat brothers” did that to my wife… the term Cain and Abel comes to mind. I would take serious epic revenge. Now if the wife were into it and she got in voluntarily and they respected me and her enough to arrange that first… then maybe revenge would not be necessary. But one could write an excellent “Death Wish” type story about brothers who didn’t care and an OG frat member who fought back against the new corruption of his brotherhood. IMHO.
Not really into the type of story you describe, but to each their own.
Or it could be a story where a Frat Brother's Girlfriend entered the fray, but being a Frat Brother was so important to him, that he was willing to let them do anything to his lady. Enraged that her boyfriend would not defend his girlfriend, another Frat Brother sets out to right a wrong and defends her. Suddenly the dynamics in the relationship have changed and she sees this defending Frat Brother as her Knight in ShIning Armor.

I wrote one like this, but it was a historical story written in a 1930's logging camp. A man brings his wife into camp as a prostitute against her will, and a logger in camp sees the ligature marks on her wrists and ankles, and saves her. They ultimately fall in love as they are being chased by the horny camp of loggers. She is ultimately saved when they get to town and marry, and the preacher changes the date to a previous time so that her first marriage was annulled since it was never legal. For forcing another man's wife into prostitution, the first husband gets lynched.
Interesting idea, though not sure that's how annulment works, however with the law of the west it could work.

Back