I'd like to learn from another,

Dearelliot

Really Experienced
Talk via e-mail. Man or woman doesn't matter. I would like to bounce some thoughts around, not re genre, but style, not about any particular story, just hear/exchange some thoughts from another.
Info: I'm too old for a writing class, 89, and I don't do well remembering names of things...finding words takes me longer...and not looking for live one on one, few of us always have the time, and older may be better.
I am a college grad with, BS in Acct, but not at all familiar with a glossary of the terms used in writing class.

It would probably help if you specified what Lit topics interest you in writing, what themes are you looking go explore. Not everybody is interested in reading anything about incest, or gay relationships, bdsm is a way of life for some and an instant no for others.

Thank you AnnieLit,
I don't think the theme matters, I'm thinking of how and when to introduce backstories and how much, shifting time in a story, Chapter 2. Writing for the Literotica crowd or myself. The need for conflict, and confrontation. And about writing that I dont know what it's called, such as description, taking the time to describe the car, the kitchen, the weather. I don't want help with a story.

And about writing that I dont know what it's called, such as description, taking the time to describe the car, the kitchen, the weather. I don't want help with a story.
That's called a setting. But why do you think there is only one correct way of storytelling? Some good written stories include a ton of tiny everyday details and it is fun to read them for that (think Stephen King setting descriptions), some give just the basics, and the others would just name the place (an old car) and let the reader's imagination do the rest. The thing about Lit stories is that ultimately they are aimed to arouse and to provide stroking/rubbing material, the reader needs to be able to insert themselves in the story. So for every type of writer there will be a different type of reader - some like everything to be presented to them, and some like the setting to be their own bed/car/kitchen, which means that the fewer details clash with their reality, the better.

It's the same as never ending discussion of how much of physical description is needed when writing a sex scene. Do we have to provide actual measurements in inches and cup sizes for every character? Or do we stick to essentials and provide measurements only when they are really needed for the storytelling? If a guy is being laughed at for his small size, then it makes sense to say what it actually is. But if it is all in his head, then leaving the numbers out makes his worries more universal. Right? Well, the same thing for the setting - the details you do provide have to match (if somebody lives in a small one story cottage, they better not go later on upstairs to take a shower), the details you need for the story have to provided, but after that, it is completely up to you.

And I don't agree that the genre doesn't matter. Sooner or later some details of the story will come up and if it is something that your conversation partner wants to know know nothing about, they will feel taken advantage of for the help they have already provided.

Back