I want a puppy.

You know that dogs think of us as packs, right?

We are magicians to them.

They don't understand how we make lights go on and off, or how we make cars go, but they do understand that we feed them, and that we love them. And to them, that's all they need to know. They're one member of a pack.

She's tough. Unfortunately she's actually sent my mom to the emergency room more than once because of her excited 'run right in front of you' dance. She has the approximate speed of a hummingbird.

For my mom's health and for this little diva's satisfaction in living...I'm a good choice. I'll bitch about her, but I'll also take very good care of her and all my abuse is at least in sweet tones while scratching her floppy ears.

You do realize, they tell their dog friends how easily trained we've been?

Dogs are still wonderful.

Oh yes! She's wonderful. And she needs me and is always, always happy to see me. She does this twirl thing I've never seen before, she's running ahead of herself, but she still wants to watch you, so she just spins.

I wish I had enough time to be a full time puppy caretaker, but alas...I also work. She is bummed at such reality. But it's going to be fine in a few months.

They don't understand how we make lights go on and off, or how we make cars go, but they do understand that we feed them, and that we love them. And to them, that's all they need to know. They're one member of a pack.

Millie seems to regard us as a troupe of semi retarded giants who need her constant supervision.

Oh yeah, that's why I understand the wailing when someone leaves and the upset at a closed door and the unwillingness to not sleep on the bed with us. (How come she can't but the cats can, dammit?)

I try to accomodate pack behavior, but she's been trained to think she's the Alpha and that just ain't so no more.

It's probably fortunate for us that they cannot speak to each other.

If they could, then they probably wouldn't trust us as much.

They pride themselves in being great judges of character; which is mostly true. It's sad they don't have the luxury of choosing their people.

Oh yeah, that's why I understand the wailing when someone leaves and the upset at a closed door and the unwillingness to not sleep on the bed with us. (How come she can't but the cats can, dammit?)

I try to accomodate pack behavior, but she's been trained to think she's the Alpha and that just ain't so no more.
Humans, cats, and dogs, living together?

That's a complicated social arangement.

I was so proud of myself when I was able to take a bath with the door closed.

I could almost hear the snickering at my minor victory.

In addition to the JR, I live with a boxer mix and
german shepherd. I have yet to accomplish a shower which doesn't end in a dog slalom.

If you could share your trick in accomplishing your victory, it would be much appreciated.

german shepherd. I have yet to accomplish a shower which doesn't end in a dog slalom.

If you could share your trick in accomplishing your victory, it would be much appreciated.

That's funny. I too ended up with a boxer mix and a Germany.......

The ASPCA has a program where you can volunteer to foster animals until they're adopted and they'll cover a lot of the costs. And sometimes you just can't stand to give them back. Sparky was only $3, of course, it wound up being another $200 because he was riddled with parasites- but his basic vet care, including getting him fixed AGAINST MY WILL was only $3.

I don't like neutering pets either. Most times there is no alternative in an ever growing population. Here, if you've had a stray for more than a month, there is a $15 dollar charge per animal if the animal shelter accepts them.
I've lived here over a year and moved in with one dog I've had for 9 years. My first 2 months, people dumped another wonderful dog and 3 cats which I've paid the medical and food costs on.

After that, people drop off strays on my street close to my house about once a month, usually in the middle of the night or early mornings so they don't get caught. Why the assholes pick this area is a mystery to me and my neighbors. The animal shelter recognizes my phone # and voice whenever I call. Several times, I've stopped at a store and bought a cheap bag of dog or cat food for the shelter before I take them there. Hoping they'll be adopted. It saddens me.

I live close to a park where local games are played. Recently, the city has posted signs forbidding people to drop off strays. I don't think any of the people dumping the animals are from this area.

Last edited:

I think the only trick is "I can shut the door because I'm not afraid of you waking someone else up" or "Someone else is already awake and alert and you can bother them instead of me." I also think she's kinda smart and figures out that she's going to get yelled at and I'm already conscious. She's learning not to jump on the bed because she will get swept off by an uncaring arm and squashed to the ground by a splayed palm.

My puppies are in excellent graces today because we went out last night for our first extended evening out. We went into NYC to have dinner at the Oyster Bar and see my daughter in a choral performance. They were home for eight hours alone in non-sleep times. Times that they're usually fed, have lavish praise and pets and lap time available and missed their scheduled treat time. I was terrified of coming home to a peed upon duvet and a chewed up bookcase that Ulaven made. I expected her to zero in on the things we love the most and express her willful displeasure at being left unattended without her permission.

Only thing we got was a scattering of toys and a happy greeting home.

Puppies is awesome. Got home late, cats were alive, outlook is excellent and as long as I have enough caffeine to get me through the day (and I believe I do!) life will be good.

I don't like neutering pets either. Most times there is no alternative in an ever growing population. Here, if you've had a stray for more than a month, there is a $15 dollar charge per animal if the animal shelter accepts them.
I've lived here over a year and moved in with one dog I've had for 9 years. My first 2 months, people dumped another wonderful dog and 3 cats which I've paid the medical and food costs on.

After that, people drop off strays on my street close to my house about once a month, usually in the middle of the night or early mornings so they don't get caught. Why the assholes pick this area is a mystery to me and my neighbors. The animal shelter recognizes my phone # and voice whenever I call. Several times, I've stopped at a store and bought a cheap bag of dog or cat food for the shelter before I take them there. Hoping they'll be adopted. It saddens me.

I live close to a park where local games are played. Recently, the city has posted signs forbidding people to drop off strays. I don't think any of the people dumping the animals are from this area.

It's not that I disagree with neutering per sey, it's that he was neutered prior to me picking him up, which was when he was 5 weeks old. His mother was killed and the entire litter had to be adopted out. Because he was castrated so early, he's had sever development problems. There are things that balls do for maturation, not just reproduction. I would have had no problem getting him fixed after puberty. It honestly amazed me that the vet would do that.

Back