I wanna watch something scary

Phelia

in a submarine
Love horror movies and feeling like I need something extra spooky for Halloween. Any recommendations? I’ve seen tons of em already, so especially appreciate obscure finds or classics worth a rewatch, but I’ll take it all - the old faves, the recent gems, the so-bad-it’s-goods.

I like Ari Aster so I’ve been trying to get myself to watch Beau is Afraid, but it just never appeals to me in the moment. I think I’m in the mood for something that’s a little cheesy/camp, or the really unsettling kind that leaves you flinching at your own shadow for the rest of the night.

Love horror movies and feeling like I need something extra spooky for Halloween. Any recommendations? I’ve seen tons of em already, so especially appreciate obscure finds or classics worth a rewatch, but I’ll take it all - the old faves, the recent gems, the so-bad-it’s-goods.

I like Ari Aster so I’ve been trying to get myself to watch Beau is Afraid, but it just never appeals to me in the moment. I think I’m in the mood for something that’s a little cheesy/camp, or the really unsettling kind that leaves you flinching at your own shadow for the rest of the night.
How about the video from my last colonoscopy? :)

How about the video from my last colonoscopy? :)
Oh Ann, that’s so generous of you to offer, but don’t worry - you’ve always been able to invoke a sense of deep cosmic horror in me without even needing to try <3

Great genre. Maybe I’ll start there. I’ve never seen The Thing.

i am a huge weenie when it comes to scary movies. count me in for the “scary” comedies like zombieland. i’d like to terrify the minions. i told them i’d watch anything scary tonight, as long as it wasn’t anime - horrifying, but not quite halloween. if you find something, let me know! it’s also good to see you round these parts. :heart:

we are watching “totally killer”
the taco soup has way too many peas
hopefully we all survive

Lord of Illusions is deeply creepy for me.

Midnight Meat Train is excellent too (especially if you have lived in NYC).

Killer Pad is a great "palate cleanser"; more comedy than horror, but it has some moments.

i am a huge weenie when it comes to scary movies. count me in for the “scary” comedies like zombieland. i’d like to terrify the minions. i told them i’d watch anything scary tonight, as long as it wasn’t anime - horrifying, but not quite halloween. if you find something, let me know! it’s also good to see you round these parts. :heart:
I’m so thrilled to see you! You give me frissons! You know, you really nurtured my appreciation for and fondness of balls. And what greater gift is there than that? I think of you sometimes when I’m extra enjoying them.

I love a horror comedy! Double dose of endorphins and dopamine. I liked Bodies Bodies Bodies recently, and Slither is a truly disgusting classic. For striking fear into the hearts of youths, I thought the most recent Insidious was pretty fun, but I did watch it with a friend who screams bloody murder after every jump scare which really helps with the ambiance, heh. Original Insidious is good, The Descent always gets me with the claustrophobia, The Ring spooked me pretty good in high school, and there’s an Ethan Hawke one that I remember being pretty scary. Sinister, I think.

But yes, anything but anime, lol!! That’s gonna be so fun! I’ll let you know what I end up picking.

The original The Wolf Man with Lon Chaney Jr. And Claude Rains.
If you haven't seen it, the Netflix miniseries The Haunting of Hill House is excellent in every way.

we are watching “totally killer”
the taco soup has way too many peas
hopefully we all survive
Oh fuck yeah, that looks great. Absolutely going on my list. Godspeed and best of luck against the peas!

Lord of Illusions is deeply creepy for me.

Midnight Meat Train is excellent too (especially if you have lived in NYC).

Killer Pad is a great "palate cleanser"; more comedy than horror, but it has some moments.
I've seen Bradley Cooper ride the 🥩🚂 but haven't heard of the other two! Lord of Illusions looks like extremely my shit. Excellent suggestions, thank you!!

The Original The Wicker Man😧

You’re welcome!
One of my faves! I think Fata loves it too. I hope her ears are burning. And the rest of her, too. SHE'S A WITCH!

Also, I'm watching the original Friday The 13th right now. Kevin Bacon just got an arrow through the neck.

I just realized it's possible that I've never seen this flick. At least not from start to finish.

The original The Wolf Man with Lon Chaney Jr. And Claude Rains.
If you haven't seen it, the Netflix miniseries The Haunting of Hill House is excellent in every way.
Oooh, nice! I actually don't know that I've seen any of the OG monster movies, which feels like a big miss.

I watched Blythe Manor but never watched that first season and I really need to. Just watched House of Usher so I'm definitely prepped and ready for more Mike Flanagan.

Also you made a big clocks parody thread a few weeks ago and I was going to reply that yer mom is the town horologist but I got distracted and forgot. I just don't want to miss my opportunity to make that joke bc how many chances are you going to get to make a horology pun in your life!

<<there’s an Ethan Hawke one that I remember being pretty scary.>>

The Black Phone?

Oooh, nice! I actually don't know that I've seen any of the OG monster movies, which feels like a big miss.

I watched Blythe Manor but never watched that first season and I really need to. Just watched House of Usher so I'm definitely prepped and ready for more Mike Flanagan.

Also you made a big clocks parody thread a few weeks ago and I was going to reply that yer mom is the town horologist but I got distracted and forgot. I just don't want to miss my opportunity to make that joke bc how many chances are you going to get to make a horology pun in your life!
I've never watched Blythe Manor. I just finished House of Usher. I definitely dug it.

The OG monster movies still hold up. Well they do if you dig classic cinema anyway. Frankenstein and The Wolf Man especially.

That would explain my obsession with horology.
And also, I misread big clocks up there and was puzzled till I put on my glasses.

Also, I'm watching the original Friday The 13th right now. Kevin Bacon just got an arrow through the neck.

I just realized it's possible that I've never seen this flick. At least not from start to finish.
Classic Kevin! What a ham. I love 80s horror. Especially the ones based on days of the year. April Fool's Day is perfectly silly and ridiculous. The main character's name is Muffy. That's not a significant detail at all it just makes me laugh.

<<there’s an Ethan Hawke one that I remember being pretty scary.>>

The Black Phone?
No, it was Sinister that I was thinking of. I did see the Black Phone too and it was better than I expected, but I had expected it to be terrible, lol.

I've never watched Blythe Manor. I just finished House of Usher. I definitely dug it.

The OG monster movies still hold up. Well they do if you dig classic cinema anyway. Frankenstein and The Wolf Man especially.

That would explain my obsession with horology.
And also, I misread big clocks up there and was puzzled till I put on my glasses.
It was good but I've heard the Hill House season is better. Also I just realized it's Bly Manor, but I really think that the entire time I watched it that I thought it was Blythe manor for some reason. Maybe my mind is haunted.

Oh fuck yeah, that looks great. Absolutely going on my list. Godspeed and best of luck against the peas!

I've seen Bradley Cooper ride the 🥩🚂 but haven't heard of the other two! Lord of Illusions looks like extremely my shit. Excellent suggestions, thank you!!

One of my faves! I think Fata loves it too. I hope her ears are burning. And the rest of her, too. SHE'S A WITCH!
Ooh yes love it. I've often re-enacted the scene where Britt Ekland cavorts naked and pounds on the wall lustily to the copper's bedroom next door. When I received the first ASBO I put a lid on it for a while though, my neighbours hated me. Uptight fucks.

For creeping dread watch Session 9 or go over to the PG. Hill House is fab and the newish one Talk To Me is very good also. Avoid the new Exorcist though, I've had scarier periods than that pile of shite.

Classic Kevin! What a ham. I love 80s horror. Especially the ones based on days of the year. April Fool's Day is perfectly silly and ridiculous. The main character's name is Muffy. That's not a significant detail at all it just makes me laugh.
A woman in the neighborhood prefers to be called Muffy instead of her given name.

<<April Fool's Day is perfectly silly and ridiculous. The main character's name is Muffy. That's not a significant detail at all it just makes me laugh.>>

I love that it has Thomas F. Wilson (Biff Tannen) in it. That gives it a fun feel as well. And some smugness and disrespect.

Back