How to Denote Text Messages in a Story

As I said before, I've done this different ways, including just handling it like dialogue (e.g., "Hello," I texted) but in one story where I wanted to distinguish texting from dialogue I just did this:

> Hello.
< Hello yourself.

Where the first represents a text outgoing from the narrator/main character and the second represents the incoming text. I think in the context it worked fine and was clear, and I liked it because it kept formatting to a minimum, which for me is always a plus.

As I said before, I've done this different ways, including just handling it like dialogue (e.g., "Hello," I texted) but in one story where I wanted to distinguish texting from dialogue I just did this:

> Hello.
< Hello yourself.

Where the first represents a text outgoing from the narrator/main character and the second represents the incoming text. I think in the context it worked fine and was clear, and I liked it because it kept formatting to a minimum, which for me is always a plus.
Need to be careful you don't inadvertently set up an html string, using < and >, which I did in a recent story, losing the content of my text messages as a result.

Which is why I now always use - - to designate texts - - as it provides the necessary separation (and if people confuse it with an em dash that's too bad, because I never use them, and they obviously missed the phrase saying, I sent her a text).

&lt; is how you put a left-pointing angle bracket into a story without it being interpreted as HTML code - especially if it's followed not long afterward by a right-pointing angle bracket.

So you write &lt; and in the preview and in the final published story it will get replaced onscreen with <

Now what do you do if you want &lt; to appear in your story...

I treat conversations overheard by the narrator and text messages read by the narrator in the same way with a name, an em dash, and then the text of the conversation or text message. It's important to keep the narration easy for a reader to understand. My way probably isn't technically correct, but it works for me.

If a main character is sending or receiving a text message, it's easier to say, "she texted me that...", or "I texted her back to say...".

I don't think it really matters how you do it as long as you are consistent. I personally use italics and put an underscore at the beginning of the line .

It's a good question and I keep hoping the Chicago Manual of Style will include guidance on this, but unless they've done so in their most recent edition (which I haven't bought because of the cost and because I've closed down my editorial service), the guidance isn't there yet.

My suggestion is to use the slant line (unless someone has tried that and the system won't take it), explaining what it means the first time. This is the most simple and cleanest way I can think of doing it. Publishing is trying to discourage use of italics.

Jamie sent Sally a text message during the office's morning meeting.

/I just noticed last night that you have shapely legs that go from here to there./

Sally texted back. /About last night, Jamie. That was a mistake. Office affairs are too dangerous./

/We didn't do it in the office. We did it in the backseat of my Mustang. Cramped. Let's do it someplace more comfortable tonight./

/Your apartment then, if it isn't messed up. You don't have a roommate./

/You can be damn sure my apartment won't be messed up by 8 tonight./

/Pay attention, Jamie. Mr. Lambert has asked you a questions and is staring at you./

This story uses <kbd> if you want to see what it looks like:

https://literotica.com/s/your-loves-whore
My submission last night (a STORY submission, you degenerates…😀) got jacked up by using <x>. I’m guessing It’s a function of the programming language that Lit is built on. Those characters are part of many coders lives. Ive since edited/resubmitted.

But here’s the story, minus the texting dialogue if you’re up for a read!

https://www.literotica.com/s/his-business-her-pleasure

Back