How long does it take to edit a story?

SpecialK

Literotica Guru
I wrote to a few of the editors on the Volunteer Editors list. They replied and said that yes, they could edit my story. I proceeded to send on the story to three of these people. This was three weeks ago. I have yet to get any feedback from any of those three people.

Meanwhile, I have posted to this forum requesting an editor, two people came forward and proceeded to edit my story quite expediently.

I don't know if I'm ranting or just a bit dismayed here or what. But I did email them first asking if they had time to edit my story and they all agreed and said they did. But now, it has been three weeks and nothing from any of them?

K

I think you'll have to blame the individuals and not the volunteer editor program. I've talked with Laurel about ways to revamp that because I think you're not the only one who's run into problems. At least you got two people to look at it! :) I only got one bite from KillerMuffin on my Help Me Edit thread.

Ahheemmm

K, I seem to recall sending you some work in July, and am still waiting for a responce on some of it.

Uh Samurai, I sent you a reply ages ago. About the same time I emailed Laurel and had her remove me from the Volunteer Editors list because I was too busy with work commitments.

I sent the one story that I had editted and explained that I didn't have time to get to the others. This was after you sent me the email about how your addy had changed.

The email didn't bounce back so I assumed you got it.

I'll check in my email program and see if I still have it (doubtful though since I cleaned out my mailboxes awhile back) and resend it?

K

Ok, I don't mean to be critical but I think there should be more discriminating factors taken into account when choosing volunteer editors. I've noticed mispellings and errors in posts from volunteer editors, and as a real time freelance writer and editor that's a little sad. Yikes!

I'm not dissing anyone out there for volunteering their time. I am merely suggesting being more thorough and hit spell check when editors submit their posts on the boards. Sorry if I'm sounding like a wench but I do this for a living and we are here to help the writers!

Javagirl said:
I'm not dissing anyone out there for volunteering their time. I am merely suggesting being more thorough and hit spell check when editors submit their posts on the boards. Sorry if I'm sounding like a wench but I do this for a living and we are here to help the writers!

There is no spell checker on the BB. It requires opening something with a spell checker using cut and paste back and forth to the reply form to spell check on the BB. Most of the time, it's not worth the effort.

Editing is done where spell check, grammar check, readability statistics, and change tracking are available. (at least for me that's so.)

I've used several of the volunteers, and gotten the expected wide variation in technique and ability to provide what I need from an editor.

I've had a couple of people who didn't mesh well with my editing style, and a lot of people who like it. I'm proud of the reception that stories I've edited get and the thanks, public and private, from the authors.

Volunteers who provide good service (defined as what the author wants) get a lot of business, and those who don't get little repeat business.

When you utilize a free service, you get what you pay for. Sometimes you get more, but there is a money back guarantee if you don't.

When you utilize a free service, you get what you pay for. Sometimes you get more, but there is a money back guarantee if you don't.

Precisely. Since we can't afford to pay all of our authors, much less our editors, it would be strange and unfair to impose restrictions. Plus, different people want different things from a volunteer editor. Some just want a new set of eyes to look the story over and see if it works - they don't necessarily WANT their piece to be torn apart. Others want deep, deep editing from an editor with a more thorough knowledge of the language.

That's the purpose of the descriptions next to the names. They give you some idea of what the editor has to offer. Reading them you'll see that some editors have professional experience or an interest in going "deep" into your story, while others do not. You can pick a person that will give you the level of criticism you need.

I AM annoyed by those who sign up and then do not do the work. I can't force them to edit any faster, but at the same time it isn't fair to the authors for an editor to put themselves on the list and then not edit in a reasonable time. SpecialK, if you could give me names of those poeple, I would appreciate it. If anyone else has difficulty with a volunteer editor either not responding or not finishing the work in a reasonable period of time, please let me know.

On another topic, I was considering starting an opt-in mailing list just for the editors so that we could all share ideas, ask questions, etc. Does that should cool, or would that be an annoyance? Let me know your thoughts... :)

Laurel said:
On another topic, I was considering starting an opt-in mailing list just for the editors so that we could all share ideas, ask questions, etc. Does that should cool, or would that be an annoyance? Let me know your thoughts... :)

You need a smilie for a shrug. (maybe replace the arrow icon with an animated shrug from Crack's?)

I think this open forum for the editors is sufficient for most of the questions and discussions. It has the advantage that threads stay around a lot longer than a mailing would.

However, If you do start one, add my name to the list.

I agree with Weird Harold, Laurel. This forum is enough. Besides, it doesn't get too many posts as it is, an editors-only mailing list probably wouldn't get that much either..

I'll email those names to you.

K

Ah, good point. Hmm... It just seems the editors lack...cohesion. I mean, I don't want to force anyone to be a part of some "editing club" but at the same time I think it's easy for people to sign up & then forget.

Maybe I should send out emails every now and then to verify that people are still with the program? I discussed with Whispersecret the idea of a monthly editor's newsletter...hmm...

How about a contest or top 10 editor list just like the top story lists?

Maybe it would help if there was a way for those who have a story edited to send positive feedback like they can on stories. The people seeing who is doing the best job of editing will aim their stories that way. If a person has more than they can edit they can say that in their editers profile like they do now. Maybe something like "I currenty have a back log of two weeks, Please wait a week before sending me any new stories.

Also you could have a short paragraph edit contest and see who does the best job. Maybe have a panel of two or three judges. (or maybe not judge them but let the readers see the results with comments by the editors.) This would give the writers an idea of how each editor operates. The winners would be posted as well as any one who entered. That would show those needing editing who really likes to edit (everyone who entered.) and who might be a smudge better for their type of writing. (I think they ought to double the pay of good english teachers. It is an under appreciated job.) Each monthly contest would be different story headings like Romantic one month and Non-human the next. That would give editors a chance to edit stories in their area of preference.

Because we all are doing this basically on our own time and sometimes our lives have events happen that cause us to have less free time than we thought we would have, even people with the best intentions find themselves unable to do what they committed to do. I think as the site grows and more and more people that volunteer things will improve. (Did I notice Laurel and Manu cringe/smile when I said "grow" and "more people"??) On the one hand with more traffic they can earn more off sponsers to help pay site costs but it is more work for them too. They do such a good job.

I would love to help edit but am working two jobs for a while. I know that I'm no english major also and might be able to say this doesn't seem sound right but not tell the writer they have a double gerand with a tripple bypassed negative interogatively displaced conjunction.

Keep up the Good Work Laurel and Manu.

NiceGuy

Maybe it would help if there was a way for those who have a story edited to send positive feedback like they can on stories.

You know, you've hit on something brilliant there...what if we had a feedback rating system much like eBay, in which authors can rate their experience with their editor and offer a 1-2 sentence comment explaining their rating? Editors would have the option of responding to these comments. For example, if a writer wrote "Did a good job, but took longer than he said he would", the editor could respond with "Had to leave town on emergency, thus the delay". Writers could look down a list of potential editors and see their numerical ratings, then click on the name to view the comments and a full editor's 'bio'.

Now, I haven't talked yet talked to Manu about the techinical logistics involved in such a setup. It may not even be something we can do fully automatically. But I like the idea behind it - I think its somtehing that would greatly benefit everyone involved...

WoW thanks Laurel I hit on something different!

Thanks for saying I hit on something brilliant. I don't get that kind of response usually. Of course I'm usually "hitting" on a pretty nineteen year old girl!!! (only to discover the big bruiser behind me is her other half as I go sliding on my stomach over the marble floor of the adult convention! )

I'll bet there is some way to implement it. (Doesn't the word Manu mean "one who does magic" as one of it's many meanings?")

Good Idea Laurel!

Good idea--I agree. I didn't mean to criticize earlier with my post--I just noticed the complaints from writers.

I hope we can figure out a better system for both writers and editors. :)

Back