How long do you wait before giving up?

Ok, I just want some honest answers here and not a bunch of people jumping on me for even asking a question (which has happened way too many times).

Let’s say you’ve been messaging or emailing with someone for some time (like several weeks to a few months) and there haven’t been any indications that the other person has lost interest or is upset with you, how long do you feel you should wait before deciding that the other person is just not going to ever respond back again? I don’t want to keep hoping that I will hear from them again, but at the same time if there is some unwritten rule about a minimum waiting time before giving up that I’m not aware of that’s never been revealed to me, I’d like to know.
I am comfortable just leaving the possibility open that at sone point I may hear from them again.
There is no rule.
Stuff happens in other people’s lives that we know nothing about.
I’d stop looking for them and if they reappear, they reappear. I have tons of dangling interactions.

I am comfortable just leaving the possibility open that at some point I may hear from them again.
There is no rule.
Stuff happens in other people’s lives that we know nothing about.
I’d stop looking for them and if they reappear, they reappear. I have tons of dangling interactions.
Yup.

The worst thing you could do is continually message someone who's ghosted you, no matter the reason. It starts to get creepy after a while. Unless you're in a permanent, physical relationship, no one owes anyone an explanation.

The worst thing you could do is continually message someone who's ghosted you, no matter the reason. It starts to get creepy after a while. Unless you're in a permanent, physical relationship, no one owes anyone an explanation.
Well it’s a good thing that I don’t do that, despite what some people might assume. I’m already at the point where I’ve written them off as done anyway over a week ago now.

Well it’s a good thing that I don’t do that, despite what some people might assume. I’m already at the point where I’ve written them off as done anyway over a week ago now.
I wasn't being accusatory. Just putting it out for those who are also wondering if there are "rules" about "responding to a ghost situation."

I wasn't being accusatory. Just putting it out for those who are also wondering if there are "rules" about "responding to a ghost situation."
I was just trying to get ahead of anyone deciding to come in and assume that I was.

I heard from someone here that I last heard from 17 yrs ago. I knew some of what was going on in their life at that point. I wasn’t sure they were still alive. A few months ago, they quoted one of my posts, I recognized them immediately and we have been in contact since. Now this is someone I knew pretty well for several years prior, but still stuff can happen to anyone.

“Glad you’re not dead” is one of my favorite Penn Jillette phrases.

Back