Help on finding and using Pre-Readers on Lit?

Sextified

Really Experienced
I apologize in advance for starting a new thread on this topic, but I simply want the current advice on what has been working the best lately, and doesn't break any website or forum rules.

I have a huge project, it's literally going to be a half dozen thick paperbacks, written in a world building style. It started out here on Lit, and was supposed to be just a six chapter mini-series, to help me iron out simple things. Word usage, dialogue, pacing, depths of descriptions, how to handle sex as both action and emotions.

It worked. - It was awful. - It's still up to this day.

But I loved the characters, scrapped the idea that my Sword and Sorcery book had to be written first, and reworked all my Erotica ideas into one true world-building effort.

It's on another website. - The first 3/4's of the first book is awful. - It's still up to this day.

Eventually, I got the majority of my worst my issues handled, found my style, developed a little following, and wrote two more huge books. All as practice. But the first book still haunts me! And with all of the weirdness affecting real life these days, I think I made a mistake by even attempting to totally rework and fix it.

Trying to breakdown and homogenize a work of that size, to fit the style of the rest of the series, is a huge challenge. I've been at it for years, off and on. Now, I am finally making some real progress, and need a little help.

I'm just looking for a few people to read the chapters, before I post them here at Lit. Not editing help, per say. Just an overall check on readability, consistency and enjoyment.

I am basically done with the idea of trying to "edit" my way out of the hole I made for myself so long ago. For the most part, I am scrapping it all, and reforging it from scratch. As I get into the later material, I do start using whole sections of the original work.

Hence, my need for some help.

I am so blinded by the task, I can't see the bad "seams" any more. The abrupt changes of POV, tense, or slightly repeated actions on the page. If I have already covered some task or event well enough? There is no need for a rehash surviving three pages later.

If you want a real test as a writer?

Go destroy three dozen pages of your best stuff, at least for the time/point in your career/hobby, and see how you feel!

What works best these days? Go to the Beta Reader's thread, and hope for a few bites from people who like reading Novels and Novellas? Beg for help here?

I do need to let you know that I did try to post an early attempt at the rewrite about a month ago.

Crickets. - And more Crickets. - It was awful! - It will be taken down!

Just as soon as I have this new stuff looked at, and I get a few impressions from either other writers, or interested readers who don't have their fingers glued to the "1" button for ratings.

On my old site, which requires a subscription, I think there has been a tremendous and crippling drop in viewership. It just doesn't get the readers it used to. It was easy, back in the day. You post a new chapter, ask for a few volunteers who want to see an early PDF of the next posting, and I got all the feedback I needed.

How does such a thing work on Lit? Can I send a PDF, thru the system? Is it ok to (privately) give out my Author email address, so I can send out a PDF that way? Is there a draft feature, where its viewable by only a select group? Are their volunteer editors, that will be okay with just reading and giving constructive advice?

I had about four very loyal pre-readers, most of them sticking with me for years! I miss them, and their advice! But they are either not online, haunt other websites, or have moved on to other genres.

I have one dedicated volunteer editor left, but she is extremely busy trying to survive today's challenges, with kid's still living at home. She has the first eighty pages, but I feel so bad about even asking her for purely reading help. I'm at the point of just trusting myself, deciding on the proper chapter break, and reposting this latest effort at reforging the story the other books are relying on!

What advice can you give me? What's ok to do here? How would you go about getting help, if you were basically building your audience and fan base from scratch again?

I've been lurking here for the last two months, and find most of the threads and answers I've gone thru very helpful! Looking forward to all of your comments!

Thanks!

Start another thread* over in the Editor's Forum, make sure your PMs are turned on, don't put your email in the post but be prepared to send it via a message. If you're looking for editorial assistance - which you obviously are, as well as beta readers - think Word not pdf. Good luck.

* Or - report your post and ask the AH Mod to move it over to the Editor's Forum, which will avoid a double post.

Back