Hating Gays, the Subtle Difference

QueequegsHead

Loves Spam
Yesterday this topic was thrown in my face by one of our brethren posters insisting that another poster hates gays because he starts so many threads bashing them when what he really targets is the organized movement. But it’s not limited to this one poster and this one instance, it’s just that “gay” has become a touchstone; an untouchable shibboleth, like abortion, or Civil Rights. But, in our internet culture we see this same hate employed against religion. Against political parties. Against Conservatives. Against Liberal-Progressives. In short, I surmise that it is a defensive hate that is driven by the nature of movements. My personal example is that I really hate, and that might be too strong a word, perhaps it is better expressed as disgusted, the Atheist that has to proselytize, denigrate and attack all public displays of religion: the one that is always in the news suing somebody.

Movements start out noble. The Civil Rights movement was a movement with cause, but when the remedies to that cause were realized, the movement still had power, backing and momentum, so they went after more and more esoteric goals until we got to where we are now, from the not too distant shake-down industry to the drive to make CRT the guiding principle in the teaching of history, much like Zinn took his history of white oppression right over the shark with Fonzi.

Religions that proselytize tend to end up in your face much like the aforementioned Atheist. But here’s the thing, I’m an Atheist, but I do not wish to push it on the religious because I see religion as a net positive in our society. It’s just that some people have so much zeal for belonging to a movement that they lose all sense of proportion knowing that they are part of a righteous cause. (I would urge everyone to read Eric Hoffer’s book of essays, The True Believer.)

It’s the same with politics and the parties and people losing sense of perspective by losing themselves in the movement and thusly achieving an importance larger than themselves, sort of an alter ego, and the internet just exacerbates that type of crusader mentality which is every bit as religious as the proselytizer, the lawsuit-happy Atheist and the LGBT+ woke militant who achieved the original, basic, stated goals, but now, having an identity of some import cannot stop and rest on their laurels, they must push into normalizing ever-specific niche behaviors with an urgency that belies the real need for reform(s).

So, it is a completely compatible concept that you can be tolerant and inclusive of the gay community, even if you have a personal/cultural reluctance to personally embrace it, but still hate the never-ending militant antics of a movement that has lost its core purpose, but is still overly active, seeking visibility and demanding irrational, radical changes driven by a small, vocal core of True Believers who can never, ever be contented or placated, for that would render much of their life meaningless.

Those True Believers are why I refuse to be a part of the major political parties; the Libertarians lack the power of a movement (even though many of them are idealists) and they're not out in the public arena in a confrontational manner. Good ideas do not need to be shouted, a whisper will suffice. It’s why many people quietly believe in God but eschew the institution of the church. It’s why the majority of Atheists, when in the public square, will quietly bow their head in reverence when respectful prayers are offered at official/community/school gatherings; we understand the spirit.

Hating the militant “moral” movement is nowhere near to hating the individual(s) of any group.

So be careful of how you interpret attacks on the dangerous superciliousness of the motivated moral busybodies who want to control your attitude, thinking and behavior and put the machinations of their detractors into the proper framework of intent and personal purpose.

There's a line from an old book, "Capt. Newman, MD" that I still remember.

To paraphrase, "You can understand people better if you look at them as children. Most of us never grow up, we just grow older."

Applying that notion to the subject(s) of your post helps put things in perspective.

I'm sure you tell all of your "gay friends" to stop spreading the "pandemic" of monkeypox Because you care

Here's an example of why people hate these tiny little woke militant movements:

According to a certain subset of disability activists, any use of the word spaz or its derivatives is marginalizing. "Disabled people's experiences are not fodder for song lyrics. This must stop," tweeted the disability rights organization Scope. "When Beyoncé dropped the same ableist slur as Lizzo on her new album, my heart sank," reads the headline of a Guardian article by the activist Hannah Diviney, who wrote that she has "no desire to overshadow" Beyoncé's "lived experience of being a black woman…but that doesn't excuse her use of ableist language." Beyoncé's publicity team quickly responded to the heat, saying she'd be changing that line and removing the word from the song, just as fellow artist Lizzo did two months ago when she came under similar scrutiny, led by some of the same activists.

https://reason.com/2022/08/02/beyonce-under-fire-for-using-an-ableist-slur-chooses-self-censorship/

[Libertarian]

The woketards do not own that word, but here they are coopting it and redefining it in order to enforce thoughts, attitudes and behaviors. They are using victims of cerebral palsy as culture-war tools. It's all the same thing.

So your real bitch is political correctness. (Now known as wokeness and probably soon to evolve into some other hip word)

I can understand some (but certainly not all) about the complaint in the OP.

I don't hate gays or even have much of an opinion about them. Whatever they are or want to do doesn't really affect me at my advanced age. I'm quite happy to see gay pride parades in our town.

But - I am not happy with some of the organisations that claim to represent gays etc, particularly Stonewall in the UK.

They seem to be a haven for woke activists who will start a campaign to cancel anyone instantly who suggests that gay rights are eroding women's rights, or that no one can ever 'become' a woman no matter how they self-identify. The hatred of these activists for normal people, or for people who consider women to be women, is vicious and prolonged and is damaging to LGBT+ issues.

I can understand some (but certainly not all) about the complaint in the OP.

I don't hate gays or even have much of an opinion about them. Whatever they are or want to do doesn't really affect me at my advanced age. I'm quite happy to see gay pride parades in our town.

But - I am not happy with some of the organisations that claim to represent gays etc, particularly Stonewall in the UK.

They seem to be a haven for woke activists who will start a campaign to cancel anyone instantly who suggests that gay rights are eroding women's rights, or that no one can ever 'become' a woman no matter how they self-identify. The hatred of these activists for normal people, or for people who consider women to be women, is vicious and prolonged and is damaging to LGBT+ issues.
The subject of the thread isn't gays Ogg, they're merely a "for example" group. The subject group could just as easily be blacks, Latins, Trans, the deaf, the blind, really any group that has a militant advocacy organization. And it's those militant groups that the OP is referring to.

While it's fitting that society be aware of any special trials or tribulations that they may be experiencing, society is not obligated to bend over backward for whatever whim they may be able to concoct. There comes a point in time that the goals no longer address any general problem but rather take any problem that may be specific to any one member of that group and inflate it. The purpose is to keep those dollars rolling in.

Over the years we have watched the principals of organizations as diverse as the Sierra Club and BLM enrich themselves while having nothing of any significance accomplished.

What all of those organizations understand is that when passions are inflamed reason falls by the wayside.

When I was young I read a book; Follow My Leader by James Garfield. In it the protagonist was blinded as a teen and had to learn how to navigate the world again, both socially and physically.

An interesting bit in the book was when the protagonist was at a school for the blind and a sharp corner of the fireplace was pointed out to him. He asked why it wasn't padded or rounded over. The answer?

(paraphrased) Because the world in general isn't going to accommodate us, it's up to us to get along as best we can despite the obstacles in our path.

Now, this book was written pre "woke" by several decades but the ideas in it still make sense. We don't have to put artificial hurdles in the way of anyone with a disability or special need. But, by the same token, we shouldn't create obstacles to intentionally hinder or trip up the majority segment of our society in an attempt to assist those with disabilities or special needs.

This is the lesson the woke fail to understand or learn.

Back