Harvey Weinsteins conviction overturned

He was convicted of rape in California in 2022, with a 16-year sentence. So, he would just be changing prisons if his retrial in New York goes his way.

Deplorables cheering for Weinstein?

That checks out.
Let me clarify before I get sucked into your and other circle jerks about being deplorable. This is about appellate review of a case that the trial judge erred in allowing evidence.

The Nasser case was very different. There were many many many victims and a lot of evidence with Nasser. While the same can be argued of Weinstein, the trial judge and an overzealous prosecutor fucked the case royally - the appellate court stated:

“We conclude that the trial court erroneously admitted testimony of uncharged, alleged prior sexual acts against persons other than the complainants of the underlying crimes because that testimony served no material non-propensity purpose,” the ruling, written by Judge Jenny Rivera, states.

“The court compounded that error when it ruled that defendant, who had no criminal history, could be cross examined about those allegations as well as numerous allegations of misconduct that portrayed defendant in a highly prejudicial light. The synergistic effect of these errors was not harmless.”

To be clear - Weinstein belongs in a jail where the inmates repeatedly and daily rape his miserable anus with a rusty iron pipe. But we have idiots prosecuting cases who would rather get in the newspapers. So he will get a new trial where a new prosecutor will try again. Hopefully this time the people in charge won’t screw the pooch.

But we have idiots prosecuting cases who would rather get in the newspapers. So he will get a new trial where a new prosecutor will try again. Hopefully this time the people in charge won’t screw the pooch.
I am not a fan of Weinstein.

However, this case looks like classic "casting couch": a quid pro quo that involved unseemly and disgusting conduct that was compensated.

Decriminalize prostitution... because otherwise it simply takes on new forms, like Hollywood.

I am not a fan of Weinstein.

However, this case looks like classic "casting couch": a quid pro quo that involved unseemly and disgusting conduct that was compensated.

Decriminalize prostitution... because otherwise it simply takes on new forms, like Hollywood.
I don’t even know what this means. FWIW This is a simple reversible error which happens frequently in trials.

I don’t even know what this means. FWIW This is a simple reversible error which happens frequently in trials.
You were speaking of the motivation behind the case; I am addressing its legitimacy as law.

I agree that this immediate reversal was procedural.

We have to be careful with witness testimony:

'Life was not fair to him': Daughter of N.B. man exonerated of murder remembers him as a kind soul

Based on witness testimony as usual:

A written submission to the court by Innocence Canada highlighted a litany of failings. It said witnesses recanted testimony and police officers did not disclose that one witness was paid for his testimony. The forensic evidence was below the standards expected in 1984, and the Crown urged the jury to find that the men's alibi -- which was supported by numerous witnesses and a receipt for a purchase -- was "a lie to escape their guilt."

I absolutely agree. Eyewitness testimony is imperfect at best. Some of these witnesses are trying to remember stuff from years ago at trial.

And retrials are even worse. I actually had a witness exclaim at a retrial - I can’t remember what happened yesterday - how do I remember if he was wearing a white shirt!

I actually had a witness exclaim at a retrial - I can’t remember what happened yesterday - how do I remember if he was wearing a white shirt!
I doubt I would trust myself as a witness, and I would be very upset to base a legal decision on eyewitnesses alone. This includes lineups. Especially if I saw some guy in a dark alley once while he was committing some random crime I doubt the face is going to stick in my mind enough to say that someone is that person to the exclusion of all others. The Zodiac case illustrated the difficulty of eyewitness testimony.

I doubt I would trust myself as a witness, and I would be very upset to base a legal decision on eyewitnesses alone. This includes lineups. Especially if I saw some guy in a dark alley once while he was committing some random crime I doubt the face is going to stick in my mind enough to say that someone is that person to the exclusion of all others. The Zodiac case illustrated the difficulty of eyewitness testimony.
Well said! I totally agree.

So you guys think people should basically get away with rape, sexual assault, and child molestation.

Gotcha.

But then again, given the crap I read on here, I'm not surprised.

So you guys think people should basically get away with rape, sexual assault, and child molestation.

Gotcha.

But then again, given the crap I read on here, I'm not surprised.

The OP seemed unusually excited about this turn of events.

Hmmmm…

🤔

This case was overturned on appeal on procedural grounds, which means that the court went about reaching its decision by the wrong methods. Usually this means that something exists which was unduly prejudicial to the defendant.

It is one thing to know someone is guilty, and another thing to prove it in court. Our system is based on an intricate set of rules regarding fair play and they were not done well enough in this case.

That is all people are saying here.

ok. I see your point, but it does bother me to see guilty people escape justice- especially when the crimes are as heinous as those of Mr. Weinstien.

ok. I see your point, but it does bother me to see guilty people escape justice- especially when the crimes are as heinous as those of Mr. Weinstien.
Ahahahahahahaha Olde Harvey is STILL IN JAIL on the Commiefornia conviction. He hasn't escaped anything

The NRA is still going strong!

Back